Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Muggle Quidditch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ELTON JOHN posted:

everyone who smokes meat is exactly like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBxTEoseZak

I have a smoker but I just smoke the meat and drink beer while I “tend the coals” every once in a while.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I feel like the intense effort to monetize what in the past would just be accepted as a hobby is really the most strikingly lame phenomenon.

My friend plays in a band and they released a single and his coworker's first question is how much money he's making from doing it, like that's the sole justification for doing any activity.

Same with crafting in general, there's this notion that if you don't have an Etsy shop and sell things at craft shows that somehow whatever you're creating is pointless, even if Etsy shops and craft show sales would never earn you enough to live from, it's just the point of making money from how you choose to spend your time that's the important thing.

Obviously, playing video games isn't much of a hobby, but even there, there's a whole eco system around how you could monetize it by streaming or whatever.

Like somehow everyone is convinced that you need the market to validate the way you spend your leisure time instead of just spending the time. It has to be an investment or spent productively or it's just a waste of time.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

A Strange Aeon posted:

I feel like the intense effort to monetize what in the past would just be accepted as a hobby is really the most strikingly lame phenomenon.

My friend plays in a band and they released a single and his coworker's first question is how much money he's making from doing it, like that's the sole justification for doing any activity.

Same with crafting in general, there's this notion that if you don't have an Etsy shop and sell things at craft shows that somehow whatever you're creating is pointless, even if Etsy shops and craft show sales would never earn you enough to live from, it's just the point of making money from how you choose to spend your time that's the important thing.

Obviously, playing video games isn't much of a hobby, but even there, there's a whole eco system around how you could monetize it by streaming or whatever.

Like somehow everyone is convinced that you need the market to validate the way you spend your leisure time instead of just spending the time. It has to be an investment or spent productively or it's just a waste of time.

:capitalism:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Konar posted:

Skincare, astrology, self help poo poo, stuff like that. Really anything focused on the self is a stupid and bad hobby

Many (not all) so-called "self-help" books are of help to many (not all), but IMO (and experience, and I've heard witnessed) lengthy attempts at psychological self-help tend to reach an impasse, because one's own ego is not a great "executive" for decreasing ego. Stroking one's ego, with the aid of a wanky book or not, is not genuine self-help!

Good self help includes helping oneself to external help, becoming humble enough to accept it, and helping others where possible. Anyways you'll probably, I suspect, view much of this post as self-help bollocks, but whatever. I used to reject entire fields based on little evidence, too.

Good self-help groups (there are many) are primarily for helping each other, not for endlessly helping oneself.

Hope you take care of your skin enough so you don't get skin cancers later in life and it doesn't resemble thin parchement or leather.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=b7nocIenCYg&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

Spot on re astrology, it's ignorant, stupid and bad. Whenever I'm asked my sign, I say, "Skeptikus".

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 20, 2023

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

ELTON JOHN posted:

shoes rock

97 Nike Decades are the only cool collectible gym shoes... for murder reasons >: D

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Buying crystals

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit
Collecting toenail clippings from city buses

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
The answer is obviously, unironically drug use.

I just took 6g of dried shrooms lol

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Weed is cool but the people who make using it their whole personality are kinda lame.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Orgasming

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Thesaurus posted:

How could this musical genre be a hobby?

By listening to it.

In the same vein, attending rodeos.

BigBadSteve posted:

Many (not all) so-called "self-help" books are of help to many (not all), but IMO (and experience, and I've heard witnessed) lengthy attempts at psychological self-help tend to reach an impasse, because one's own ego is not a great "executive" for decreasing ego.

The only way I was able fix myself after mentally breaking from the pandemic was to realize that no, I cannot power through this any more, zombie mode isn't working, and I can't do it alone.

Started therapy, did intensive outpatient treatment, and with a lot of hard work over almost 3 years I'm basically a regular person again.

I would probably have died if I hadn't gotten help.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 20, 2023

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Devils Affricate posted:

Back when I used Facebook, a coworker added me and he always seemed like a decent enough guy so I clicked accept. Immediately I was flooded with posts from his wall about the latest designer sneakers he bought. Just a constant stream of $400 Nikes and poo poo, with weird rear end hashtags like #WhiteAndBright and #HighTopStylin. I don't think I've ever lost respect for another human being so quickly.

Barely hidden sneaker fetish.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Air force ones

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
My Filas have held up nicely over the last 2 years

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Treecko posted:

Air force ones

I don't consider myself a sneaker collector at all but if I see a pair of AF1's that I really like, I get them.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

BigBadSteve posted:

Spot on re astrology, it's ignorant, stupid and bad. Whenever I'm asked my sign, I say, "Skeptikus".

This tracks

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Stamp collecting

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
musk stanning

closely followed by

muskrat hide tanning

closely followed by

dusty dyed jam jars

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
astrology is the one true non-joke answer

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I'm an Aquarius and I do like purple...

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I'd rather get stuck in an elevator with an astrologer than an astronomer

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Most astronomers I've met would avoid eye contact and conversation at all costs. I don't think I've ever met an actual astrologer.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I want Pluto back

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

i've started to feel bad about dunking on astrology earlier because it's still cooler / less insane than actual religion

you never hear about "astrologers" who actually have jobs in astrology but there's millions of priests

also i never hear about space-sign people loving kids

believing in God is the lamest hobby

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

from a western culture perspective, even scientology is cooler / less stupid / less harmful than christianity, which is just wild

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
people who get way into kink/BDSM stuff.

I mean its cool if thats what your into, by all means go hook up car batteries to your genitals if that what does it for you, but its always the people who you REALLY dont want to think about in any sexual context that keep finding ways to bring it up

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

dsf posted:

people who get way into kink/BDSM stuff.

I mean its cool if thats what your into, by all means go hook up car batteries to your genitals if that what does it for you, but its always the people who you REALLY dont want to think about in any sexual context that keep finding ways to bring it up

The lifestyle

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

volunteering to help the needy

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
yeah I know my only friends are lame

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Jelly posted:

astrology is the one true non-joke answer

I like tarot though :confused: I am pretty sure tarot is just astrology with more shuffling

Granted, I'd never pay for it, other than buying decks. Of which I have one. That I got when I was fifteen from Borders Books and Music.

e: I think magic the gathering is pretty lame too and have the hundreds of hours of play at all levels and formats under my belt to say that definitively :smugdog:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

mentoring

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Pooping indoors

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Posting cryptic conspiracy poo poo on facebook.

"when the revolution comes...... well, those who know, know...... ahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!"

And so on.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

playing music or dancing

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Sleeping

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
When I was a kid, my friend's little brother was really into workshop type activities but he was too young to be doing them for real, so his parents would set him up with a paint brush, a few planks of wood, and a bucket of water. He'd spend all day "painting" the wood, never running out because it just dried by the time he circled back from painting the other pieces. Pretty stupid hobby if you ask me!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Your friends little brother made Plank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

speedrunning