Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I get mushrooms on the regular but one batch just had zero effects so I just kinda put that bag to the side. An acquaintance said she wanted to try microdosing so I gave her those mushrooms and now she's always talking about how much better her life is and how microdosing fixed all her problems.

I don't think those were psychedelic mushrooms haha but i guess if she's feeling better whatever man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Hey there is for sure great power in placebo stuff, I "drug dealed" my boomer mom some CBD gummies (had to keep on the DL from narc dad) that I didn't want because they seemed to do nothing, told her they would help her sleep and with the joint pain, and she raved about how helpful it is (quietly).

So I gotta keep up the supply when she requests. I don't care about paying for it, they paid enough for me, I've lived this long. And though I'm 90% sure they really do nothing, fuckin' whatever if it works for her, either actually for body or just in brain.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I did the whole heroin to methadone thing from the late 90s to the early 2000s, got off methadone, then had a surprise divorce which led to me going all-in on alcohol starting roughly 2004 or so. Prior to the heroin I was more a polysubstance guy, meaning I would do drat near anything I ran across.

I quit smoking cigarettes in 2010, but have never got off nicotine. I inherited a bespoke artisanal nicotine addiction, and doing anything other than harm reduction with it is not something I see happening anytime soon.

Isnt it amazing how a huge family destroying divorce will cause you to want to medicate just to be able to wakeup and go to work and put one foot in front of the other?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I took one weed once....really messed my life up. That caring/intelligent agent they sent over from DARE was right!

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
The drug cop was helpful with identifying which drugs were which and in what different ways they were fun. He managed to not shoot himself while playing with his cool gun.

The railway cop was even more helpful with the scary stories and the video about getting train murked horribly, and they hey, it's actually really scary for the driver if you throw rocks at the cab, and if you do get murked despite him pulling the emergency brake, that might gently caress them up in the brain turning a kid into multiple pieces, and that's a lovely thing to do to another person. And it's gonna hurt the whole time you are dying.

So uh, thanks drug cop and train cop for your various forms of education.

Any time is train time. And this is what good weed looks like. If you need to jab it into your arm, don't do that.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 10, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

If you've never seen dexrazoxane crystallize (it's a cardioprotectant for doxorubicin made from doxorubicin, which looks like loving red kool-aid but it's actually that color and not dyed gently caress that poo poo I filled that too) you should see it sometime. Yellowish liquid on the floor and by the time it dries the outer edge of what is wet is deep purple and the crystals are pink. Absolutely the best part of someone blowing out a reservoir of it, getting showered in it while you collected loving plates in the room because "WE HAVE TO MAKE SURE THE STUFF IN THE LYO IS GOOD," and then having the company you work for bump it down a notch on the hazard scale while acknowledging that it was supposed to get an automatic reservoir shutoff like 8 years prior but the owner of the job quit so nobody gave a gently caress until it happened.

It looks really loving cool when it dries. I know, I've seen about 50kg of it dry in a 3000 square foot room.

I came back from "lunch" (at 8PM on a Sunday), gowned and strolled into the cleanroom knowing that the setup for this poo poo was bad, but I thought I trusted the guy running the machine to control the reservoir fill despite not trusting the crew (it was another shift, we were being forced to work OT) to do it. I never trusted that setup in the first place, but hey, you know. As soon as he turns over the filler to me, POP and I'm like "Hey dude, why the gently caress are the RABS covered in drugs?" The reservoir overfilled and popped the line to the pump manifold, so the reservoir had a gravity-fed reservoir from a compounding room upstairs dumping dexrazoxane on the floor through a 1 1/2" silastic hose at gravity feed pressure.

He stammers and stutters, and then I look at the floor and see a loving giant puddle of dexrazoxane creeping at me FAST. I tell the dude on fill checks that I'm training to get the gently caress out, and I start screaming through the passthrough to the glass room that there is a giant loving drug spill that is only getting worse, then start trying to triage it, getting covered in drug in the process. My buddy who was banned from going into the core because of recoveries was working in glass at the time, he heard me screaming that poo poo and called the supes. Well, he was also their loving comedy n-word, which they referred to him as. So they didn't take it seriously until 5 minutes later when they looked at the cameras and saw what was actually happening in the room, and immediately called us to tell us to bracket all the drug in the lyo and make sure we didn't leave without plating, breaking all the loving rules of emergency situations. Finish taking all the air monitoring plates, get all the data you can for the lot since we need to save it even though there's not enough to even lyo. MrQwerty freaking out over a major drug spill is a legendary story at that plant to this day, I'm told.

:capitalism:

I had a lot of very interesting conversations with my managers and supes that night, most of them extremely aggressive. "Even though it's categorized as a Cat 4 it should probably be a Cat 3," and, "the guy who owned the ARSOS change request with the customer and FDA quit and nobody realized it needed to be taken over," was the response to various iterations of, "why the gently caress was this allowed to happen?" Along with "Never talk about it." They actually asked me if I thought the manifold hose touched the floor or not, would it be possible to maybe say this was an aseptic incident and reattach the hose and continue filling? *fingers crossed* I legit had people in charge of me ask me if I thought they could make me reattach the hose and be aseptic. On a chemo drug. In a room that looked like a disaster happened. I told them, "Under no circumstances do you even think of considering this fill as aseptic after what just happened you loving idiots."

Some of the most intense interviews I've ever had at work, tbqh. Took a lot to not jump over the desk at managers that showed up to work drunk at midnight after going to a baseball game on company tickets to bitch and whine and try to make me continue a fill that went bad. "What just happened here!?!?!?!??!!?" "Well, put on some scrubs and suit up into a bunny and I can show you what happened." "Well, there's no reason to do that, I don't want to do that."
Don't be in industrial accidents, especially ones with no fatalities that involve serious drug exposure. I'd already been showered in dexrazoxane cutting off the tank, idk why they'd be so scared of walking into a room where it was on the floor if it was a Cat 3 instead of a Cat 4 since it wasn't a big deal for anyone.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 10, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

The Butcher posted:

Like I can't even really read if I'm high, and I love reading, so that's annoying.

I guess I basically consider myself a "medical" user at this point. I remember being high as balls in 1998 or so and trying to read a copy of the NYT and giggling hysterically at how impossible it was; these days I routinely digest API documentation and other thick technical stuff when I'm on ~200mg of edibles or w/e and the most it does is force me to take slightly better notes (any) than I would otherwise.

MrQwerty posted:

If you've never seen dexrazoxane crystallize (it's a cardioprotectant for doxorubicin made from doxorubicin, which looks like loving red kool-aid but it's actually that color and not dyed gently caress that poo poo I filled that too) you should see it sometime.

you're doing all this insane, actual lab poo poo and my only corollary is growing tiny rear end DMT crystals in a freezer in ~2009. If the goon that smoked those with me is reading this thread, :whatup: since I am not calling you out by name since you married a 3-letter-agent :colbert:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cabbages and Kings posted:

you're doing all this insane, actual lab poo poo
the majority of what happened in that post happened in an office that was a "dirty" cleanroom with a slide to the open office that was not a cleanroom and involved a bunch of angry yelling and and poo poo like that, or a drug filling cleanroom that looked like it got hit with a nuke when the manifold popped and I started "gently telling" people to get the gently caress out. None of the management ever looked at the room in person, just over camera. They wouldn't even put on scrubs to go see the view from the glass room. Because they were drunk. And still showed up to an emergency at work.

I sincerely hate those people.

I also hit all the e-stops and then was chastised for how badly I could have damaged the plant by hitting the e-stops during a massive accident.
The guys that train you to use E-stops loving HATE IT WHEN YOU HIT AN E-STOP.

And I know why.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 10, 2023

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I guess I basically consider myself a "medical" user at this point. I remember being high as balls in 1998 or so and trying to read a copy of the NYT and giggling hysterically at how impossible it was; these days I routinely digest API documentation and other thick technical stuff when I'm on ~200mg of edibles or w/e and the most it does is force me to take slightly better notes (any) than I would otherwise.

you're doing all this insane, actual lab poo poo and my only corollary is growing tiny rear end DMT crystals in a freezer in ~2009. If the goon that smoked those with me is reading this thread, :whatup: since I am not calling you out by name since you married a 3-letter-agent :colbert:

how do you grow DMT crystals? none of my ayahuasca cults have hooked me up with the distillate and i want to meet the machine elves doggunnit

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I've never heard anyone addicted to weed but here I am smoking more than anyone I've ever heard of, and I can't seem to stop. I don't even get high, or even stoned really; I just no longer feel the urge to smoke. I am sure it's hosed up my memory, my brain. I can't stop, and will probably be the first to die from some THC overdose.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Infinite Jest kinda nailed the feeling of pot addiction which is definitely a real thing. One of my best friends swore by MA (marijuana anonymous) and she was still not smoking when she died of an asthma attack in her sleep at age 35. :(

Don't ever make the mistake of thinking you can't get addicted to x. The human brain can get addicted to literally anything.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Many people use THC all day every day, and have done for thousands of years

It can definitely mess your life up, but so can anything

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm high rn op

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

kntfkr posted:

how do you grow DMT crystals? none of my ayahuasca cults have hooked me up with the distillate and i want to meet the machine elves doggunnit

I think he's using a figure of speech. The crystals don't grow per se. You have to seperate them from the roots. But over night you will see crystals bloom in the naptha container while the selection happens.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

kntfkr posted:

how do you grow DMT crystals?

By doing drug extraction and purification processes correctly

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Thank god alcohol's not a druig.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

you are the perfect drug, the perfect drug, the perfect drug

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

credburn posted:

I've never heard anyone addicted to weed but here I am smoking more than anyone I've ever heard of, and I can't seem to stop. I don't even get high, or even stoned really; I just no longer feel the urge to smoke. I am sure it's hosed up my memory, my brain. I can't stop, and will probably be the first to die from some THC overdose.

There's been a whole lot of studies showing addictive properties of weed ever since the average potency and availability shot through the roof. It's hard to get addicted when you're smoking hippie-grade reggie 24/7 but when you're chuffing 10x extracts every 15 minutes or whatever it's much more clear.

This paper is 5 years old now but it's a good look at how all this super insane potency extract stuff isn't very good for us overall
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6312155/

quote:

The marijuana of old used to be classified as a hallucinogen and was thought to not cause addiction because there was no identified withdrawal syndrome. This has changed and with the increased potency of THC there is a definite recognized withdrawal syndrome which includes increased anger, irritability, depression, restlessness, headache, loss of appetite, insomnia and severe cravings for marijuana.9 It has been reported that 9% of those who experiment with marijuana will become addicted; 17% of those who start using marijuana as teenagers will become addicted; and 25–50% of those who use daily will become addicted.10 A 2015 study carried out in the UK found that high-potency cannabis use is associated with increased severity of dependence, especially in young people.11

The average THC content of weed in the 60s and 70s (when most studies on weed addiction were done) was 2%, and these days we're smoking poo poo that's anywhere from 20% (flower) to 60%+ (extracts like RSO), and that's not even taking increased availability into account.

e: I have also always struggled to stop smoking weed and had severe anxiety and nausea issues whenever I quit. I don't think I've been able to go longer than one day without getting high for the last ~15 years, during which time I have mostly been high 24/7. I recently threw away my pipe and switched to a different lovely piece that can only do very very tiny bowls and wastes a ton of weed in the process and it sucks poo poo and I can't really get high but it has forced me to cut way the gently caress back. It gets me juuuust high enough to get rid of the nausea without ever making me feel "high"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 11, 2023

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
there has to be a thread on shrooms, somewhere here, right?

I've had a mostly good time from them in the past, and cannot smoke weed at the moment.

Plus, it'd be a cool little project. I know you can get starter kits or whatever, but don't you need to get the spores from somewhere specific, or something?
i'm an old bastard and have no sort of hookups I could use for inoculation or spore prints or what have you.

it's been years since I've looked into it.

my drug of forced-choice is alcohol, and man. poo poo gets old.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think starter kits come with spores but idk, never tried it.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lol here come the boomers talking about how weed back in their day was different than today's super weed just one puff you get the homosexual dna and kill you're famil

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
I’m so glad I started working in mining when I was younger and still do. If it wasn’t for the geographical isolation and regular drug tests, I would probably have a pretty gnarly amphetamine problem.

As it is, I just drink way too much and dabble in whatever I can get my hands on for a few days at a time :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nooner posted:

just one puff you get the homosexual dna and kill you're famil

If you're lucky XD

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I thought weed addiction was more about habit than chemical dependency, but I guess you learn something new every day

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
actually just today my friend gave me some mushroom chocolates and I wasn't sure if I was coming up but literally just a few minutes ago some crazy person on reddit got weirdly mad at a comment i made and i started having those metal-mouth belly laughs so now I know I'm coming up

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
man i wonder if they would change as a person and be less crazy if they saw me laughing at their silly comment

i doubt it nobody changes not even me

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

This paper is 5 years old now but it's a good look at how all this super insane potency extract stuff isn't very good for us overall
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6312155/

Also I want to point out that this paper is not saying "weed is bad and dangerous", it's saying "the commercialization of weed is bad and dangerous", capitalism incentivizes the uptick in potency and in frequency of use, and largely the weed that we are being sold these days is weed that was scientifically designed to get us high as gently caress and to make us want more (by being memorably-potent), and that competition for higher potency has led to the prevalence of dangerously-potent products. Old studies and knowledge about the safety of weed were used to relax regulations for the weed that's sold today, even though it is, to quote my friends and I 10 years ago, "more like weed crack for weed crackheads" (I say this lovingly as someone who gets high as gently caress every day). And, well, actually what the paper is really about is how we need to change that attitude because the perceived safety of it is drawing adolescents to it and it is proven at these potencies to be negatively impactful on the actual physiological brain growth and development of people under the age of 25-30.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 11, 2023

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I remember when I was a teenager into weed and psychedelics I'd get way more cool but mild visuals from smoking weed in lowlight situations

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

blight rhino posted:

I believe there's one on TCC. Also reddit (:rolleyes:) actually has a fantastic Mushroom community. I haven't dipped my toes in yet but I want to pull the trigger this week

deep dish peat moss posted:

Also I want to point out that this paper is not saying "weed is bad and dangerous", it's saying "the commercialization of weed is bad and dangerous", capitalism incentivizes the uptick in potency and in frequency of use, and largely the weed that we are being sold these days is weed that was scientifically designed to get us high as gently caress and to make us want more (by being memorably-potent), and that competition for higher potency has led to the prevalence of dangerously-potent products. Old studies and knowledge about the safety of weed were used to relax regulations for the weed that's sold today, even though it is, to quote my friends and I 10 years ago, "more like weed crack for weed crackheads" (I say this lovingly as someone who gets high as gently caress every day). And, well, actually what the paper is really about is how we need to change that attitude because the perceived safety of it is drawing adolescents to it and it is proven at these potencies to be negatively impactful on the actual physiological brain growth and development of people under the age of 25-30.

:haibrow: I have long thought that legalization effectively weaponized weed. Ofc the weed thread knows what a dab is, but for those of you who haven't followed the latest advances in weed technology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52sjOrUqwEw

Watch that dude rip that poo poo and tell me it isn't weed-crack.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

I thought weed addiction was more about habit than chemical dependency, but I guess you learn something new every day

Well habitual dependencies are ubiquitous and can manifest in responce to p much anything that stimulates an increase in the feel-good dopamine chemicals in the brain such as eating Mcdick's, participating in masochism, or listening to ASMR. In terms of direct chemical dependence, weed/alcohol doesn't have the same magnitude of euphoric effect as say coke/crack as the latter keeps the dopamine floating between the synapses for longer by blocking its 'drainage channels'. Though the line between habitual and chemical dependency is blurred and often involves both working in tandem.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
i just wanna score some adderall so i can stay hella juiced up at my mundane wfh job

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

blight rhino posted:

I've had a mostly good time from them in the past, and cannot smoke weed at the moment.

Plus, it'd be a cool little project. I know you can get starter kits or whatever, but don't you need to get the spores from somewhere specific, or something?
i'm an old bastard and have no sort of hookups I could use for inoculation or spore prints or what have you.

it's been years since I've looked into it.

my drug of forced-choice is alcohol, and man. poo poo gets old.

You can buy spores legally. Now, if you want that tied to your cc info, that's another story entirely...

also if you think you're overdoing it on sanitation, you're not. you need to treat that poo poo like you're working with ebola.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Well habitual dependencies are ubiquitous and can manifest in responce to p much anything that stimulates an increase in the feel-good dopamine chemicals in the brain such as eating Mcdick's, participating in masochism, or listening to ASMR. In terms of direct chemical dependence, weed/alcohol doesn't have the same magnitude of euphoric effect as say coke/crack as the latter keeps the dopamine floating between the synapses for longer by blocking its 'drainage channels'. Though the line between habitual and chemical dependency is blurred and often involves both working in tandem.

Right, mostly I just didn't know that there could be actual physical withdrawal symptoms

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Vampire Panties posted:

I believe there's one on TCC. Also reddit (:rolleyes:) actually has a fantastic Mushroom community. I haven't dipped my toes in yet but I want to pull the trigger this week

They are easy as gently caress to grow, and very cheap. Knew a kid who did a plastic bin full of them in the basement for awhile. It's a dang mushroom. Long as they don't get infected or something weird, which is obvious, they just keep growing like, well, mushrooms.

Like my potatoes take more work to keep happy.

No need to deal with that though, can just walk a few blocks and the mushroom and weed stores are side by side. Experimenting with how far they can push it with LSD and other stuff before they get told to stop.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

Right, mostly I just didn't know that there could be actual physical withdrawal symptoms

There's all kinds of wild stuff that happens these days because of crazy strong weed, like Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome where after ingesting too much weed for too long it builds up in your digestive tract and makes you vomit so frequently that you develop a phobia of vomiting and get severely dehydrated until you stop using it and can literally kill you from dehydration and electrolyte imbalance if you don't
https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health-library/diseases-and-conditions/c/cannabinoid-hyperemesis-syndrome.html

It's not understood why it only affects some people, but it's a very real thing

e: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29768651/
Here is the paper about people dying from smoking too much weed while having CHS

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 11, 2023

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
The key to having fun with drugs is to only do them sometimes :banjo:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I dunno when I quit smoking weed all day i could barely eat for a few days and sweat absolutely through my sheets every night for a week. Its clearly not addictive like heroin or whatever but it isn't just in your mind and I bet those crazy extracts would make it worse.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Caesar Saladin posted:

I dunno when I quit smoking weed all day i could barely eat for a few days and sweat absolutely through my sheets every night for a week. Its clearly not addictive like heroin or whatever but it isn't just in your mind and I bet those crazy extracts would make it worse.

those vape pen cartridges are fuckin evil for withdrawal. i've gone cold turkey on weed many times in my life but the worst is stopping those loving cartridges, ho-lee gently caress

also is it just me or in the past 6 months the lower %THC cartridges are becoming increasingly scarce

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
hi its me the weed addict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

weed isn't addictive, i just need it to eat and sleep and smoke immediately when I wake up