Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
shattered mirror did feel like a bit of a missed opportunity with some weak acting/writing/direction but the combat scenes were good pew-pew

seconding the quickening being drat good- I was initially a little pissed off with it till I realised they were building something up in order to tear it apart- finishing up season 4 now and the build up of the storyline feels immense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I want a Nausicaan landscape architect to show up on Lower Decks.

HU-MON. PLANT ROSE BUSH.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chain of Command is largely a great two-parter but they don't really do anything with the Jellico stuff. It's interesting seeing the main cast deal with a guy who has a more militaristic than parental leadership style, but it's never resolved. No, ah I see your methods also have some value, or anything, Jellico is just like "It was an honor to serve with you" while not making eye contact with anyone and fucks off. No growth or change occurred, except for the (excellent) change of costume for Troi.

It is also the intro for the ultimate badmiral, Necheyev

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

bennyfactor posted:

HU-MON. PLANT ROSE BUSH.

INSTALL TASTEFUL WATER FEATURE

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"The Quickening" is definitely underrated. They've done a lot of episodes vaguely like that throughout the franchise, where they go down to Planet of the Earth Tones and deal with Stubborn Village Elder. But that is by far the best version of it. It's like what they were trying to achieve all along. I suspect people were just so tired of the tropes at that point that they glossed over how good the episode actually was.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Say what you will about the Plinket reviews, but "Everyone wears earth tones because they live on a planet." is a great line.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Boxturret posted:

Say what you will about the Plinket reviews, but "Everyone wears earth tones because they live on a planet." is a great line.
Also ‘gently caress you Rick Berman’

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why is there a new thread? Surely we have said all there is to say in the matter and now we have to say it all over again since there's no record of it

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Decompress Main Shuttlebay

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CPColin posted:

Bwaa-bwaa bwaa-bwaa

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

CPColin posted:

Riker’s euphemism for a particularly notable fart

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
All of this has happened before. All of this will happen again.

e: Oops wrong franchise.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

HD DAD posted:

"Computer, replicate emergency uniform! I accidentally ejected the warp core!"

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

The_Doctor posted:

Bwaa-bwaa bwaa-bwaa

Red alarm. RED ALARM.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Correction, sir. That's blown out. :yosbutt:💨

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I watched "Dax" last night. Great episode. I like that on the one hand, it's a classic "debate the legality of your humanity" episode that Trek does better than any other show in history while on the other hand it's a clever way to do exposition on the Trill.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

TBH on the Cardassians it always seems kind of lazy when sci-fi uses lizard people as villains because of the associated stigma with being literally cold blooded. Cold blood doesn't mean your evil, it just means you can't regulate your own body temperature. I'd like to see a sci-fi series with lizard people where rather than using that cliche, they just spend their time in comfy sweaters or with other outfits that help regulate their temperature, or having them just acting like lizards. It would be cute to have a heatwave episode where a bunch of humanoid lizards are just basking on the promenade to store heat because they know when it's over the station will be a bit colder than they'd like.

Someone else has probably said it already, but Farscape had lizard people that didn't give a gently caress what temp it was, and humans that would die when it hit 90 degrees F (just like me).

And when the lizard people made babies with the humanoids, the result was supremely hosed up but great at eating scenery.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 30, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I read a fun scifi spec idea where Earth was the unique biome with liquid water and everywhere else in the galaxy was life adapted to living on ice. Thus, we were the equivalent of lava monsters.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The lizard people loved heat in farscape IIRC

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I always loved this short story Thinking Meat where the aliens pass on earth because the idea of meat intelligence is gross and preposterous to them.

Not sure it would translate into a Trek script, but they've toyed with really-alien aliens a few times in classic and nuTrek.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Khanstant posted:

I always loved this short story Thinking Meat where the aliens pass on earth because the idea of meat intelligence is gross and preposterous to them.

Not sure it would translate into a Trek script, but they've toyed with really-alien aliens a few times in classic and nuTrek.

Stephen O'Regan made a short film of this story back in 2004.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Pretty good with the vibe. Is the younger dude the cash cab guy, someone from law and order, or just goon face memory disease. edit: it is the cash cab man!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

I watched "Dax" last night. Great episode. I like that on the one hand, it's a classic "debate the legality of your humanity" episode that Trek does better than any other show in history while on the other hand it's a clever way to do exposition on the Trill.
I'm not a huge fan of this episode, mainly because even though ostensibly it is supposed to be about Jadzia, she is barely involved through a lot of it because she's trying to keep something secret

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just watched Body Parts, and while Narys having to have the O'Brians' baby is a bit weird, I like that it wasn't just a weird star trek accident but a deliberate choice made by all involved parties to save the life of the child in an emergency situation. Makes it feel less weird. I also loved Quark's subplot resolving with him losing all assets related to Ferenginar but realising that the entire space station was behind him, and none of the Ferengi left on DS9 actually give a poo poo about the Rules of Acquisition.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve put about two hours into that Star Trek: Resurgence game (played on a Series S, for clarity) and I’ve got Some Thoughts.

Good:
- The voice acting ranges from fine to good, with the XO, Captain, and Debra Wilson being the standouts so far.
- There’s some fun design, like a Starbase that’s kind of a melding of the Regula 1 and Earth Spacedock designs, or the bridge of the Resolute. It feels sufficiently small for a ship of that class without feeling like a cheap redress. I also like the “we’re doing TNG era in 2023” design choices like having simple holograms on the conference table or JJ/Disco-esque transparent data readouts on the very wide main bridge viewscreen.

Bad:
- Any “gameplay” outside of the narrative dialogue choices is pretty dull and tedious
- So far the lower decks NCO guy’s storyline hasn’t been anywhere near as interesting as the XO’s
- The music sucks. I’m sorry to say it, but man it’s like straight out of a cheap FMV game from the mid-90s. You’d think they’d have been able to just license existing Trek scores and repurpose them as needed.

Ugly:
- I know Dramatic Labs is a very small team, and therefore doesn’t have the same resources as previous Trek games and as a result I feel bad saying this, but… the game is ugly. Really ugly. Some of the main characters’ faces look fine, but a lot of the secondary and background characters look Star Trek Online quality or worse. Especially the Starfleet characters. And because of that disparity in quality it can often be extremely jarring in dialogue when the camera jumps from character to character. It wouldn’t be too bad if the game itself was more stylized or deliberately going for a simplistic look, but… it’s not
- All the character animations are incredibly stiff and unnatural looking, everyone seems to move around with the exact same jerky motions and posture
- All the quicktime actions feel like total dogshit as “gameplay” and often break the narrative flow far worse than any of their equivalents in prior TellTale games

I want to like this game and obviously I’m going to finish it since I’ve already spent $40 on it, but… oof. It really feels like they overestimated what they’d be capable of and then got locked into a do-or-die release date after having too many delays.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 30, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm not a huge fan of this episode, mainly because even though ostensibly it is supposed to be about Jadzia, she is barely involved through a lot of it because she's trying to keep something secret

A fair complaint, but I think it does enough else well that it makes up for this shortcoming.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

HD DAD posted:

I’d figure by the 24th century, there’d be some random variables they could toss into the food algorithms, like After Effects expressions. “Pick a random number between 4-8 in terms of creaminess of this potato salad recipe”.

Take someone you don't like and add a 0 or two to the Scoville rating of the chilis in that person's personalized chili recipe.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

V-Men posted:

Take someone you don't like and add a 0 or two to the Scoville rating of the chilis in that person's personalized chili recipe.

"Computer, create a chili recipe that can defeat Data."

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Lord Kizzle is back again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oIWZR1_z7w. This one is a bit weak though.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
The Higher Ground could of been a way better episode if they didn't focus on the weird transporter and focused more on the conflict between the terrorist group and the government.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Oh my word I just watched Dax Black Mirror a guy by transporting his consciousness into a storage drive.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i thought "the quickening" was generally pretty well-received (imo as it should be). what are people's complaints about it?

i guess i could see people disliking it if they don't like dax or bashir as characters but that's hardly a reason to dislike the story. it even takes bashir down a few pegs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My problem was that it wasn't a Highlander crossover.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just watched the early season 5 episode that's basically a Klingon Roxanne paired with the O'Brian and Kira accidental sexual tension farce. I thought it was quite funny, especially how all the subplots resolved, two of which ended in the infirmary after incredibly rough Klingon sex Eesh, the Jake in and Bashir in a field hospital episode hits hard.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 30, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

zoux posted:

My problem was that it wasn't a Highlander crossover.

And accidentally make Highlander 2 make sense?

Proceed directly to hell.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
yeah the jake and bashir stuck in the hospital under siege was really good and a relatively rare jake is written well episode- bashir actually treated like medical staff rather than an awkward prodigy too

just watched "for the uniform" and sisko just war crimed a whole planet but it's cool cause eddington did it first and he was being a smarmy little poo poo (he acts a smarmy little poo poo well)

In purgatorys shadow/by infernos light up next, oh gently caress yeah trek party tonight

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always like when a character breaks their facade, like with the primary Founder villain, the female changling who keeps showing up. She acts all high and mighty and above it all, like she's being SO clinical, but as soon as Garak asks how many of his people survived their attack on her original homeworld she just loses it on him and shows just how passionate she really is. "How many survived? They're all dead. YOU are dead. CARDASSIA IS DEAD! Does that answer your question?"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

I always like when a character breaks their facade, like with the primary Founder villain, the female changling who keeps showing up. She acts all high and mighty and above it all, like she's being SO clinical, but as soon as Garak asks how many of his people survived their attack on her original homeworld she just loses it on him and shows just how passionate she really is. "How many survived? They're all dead. YOU are dead. CARDASSIA IS DEAD! Does that answer your question?"

I love how she's so over this solid's bullshit and Garak is like :pusheen:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like that the Founders and the Prophets kind of mirror each other - one a seemingly relatively benign species that was worshipped by a nearby planet and while they don't understand these weird linear people they are willing to try and learn, and one a formerly benign species that due to constant bullying for however long it was, completely gave up on understanding Solids and decided to try to hurt as many of them as possible. They are both some kind of hivemind, they both punish via exile, and they are both from the other side of the wormhole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Both groups also seem to have the need to control things, with how the Prophets use Sisko and how the Founders can only trust solids that they have full control over (the Vorta and Jem'Hadar specifically).