Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

yeah i spent literally weeks making the ultimate retropie a couple years ago, with a highly curated rom list w/perfect metadata, slick NES-mini theme, custom background music, cool Super Famicom style case, etc. when it was done i ended up playing earthbound for like 2 weeks and then switched to playing it on my Switch and hardly touched the thing again lol. was still fun to put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i play my retroid more than anything else now though but i've only been loading a game at a time onto it so i don't paralyze myself with choice

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

sometimes it's just fun to draw some lines in the sand and say THESE ARE MY 10 FAVORITE GENESIS GAMES, after watching 40 videos from some wankers on youtube that all have the same top 10 list because who in their right mind wouldn't just put

Sonic 2
Sonic 3+K
Shinobi 3
Contra: Hardcorps
Phantasy Star 4
Gunstar Heroes
Streets of Rage 2
Castlevania: Bloodlines
NHL '94

and

gently caress I can never pick this last one

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

It's Ranger X

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

boogwrman: a pick and flick adventure.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Odddzy posted:

There are too many games being made and too little of them are good. Playing them to completion is wasting precious time that could be spent playing a great Doom WAD instead.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Cubone posted:

heck, contra is better if you cheat.

:catstare:

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Kazvall posted:

sometimes it's just fun to draw some lines in the sand and say THESE ARE MY 10 FAVORITE GENESIS GAMES, after watching 40 videos from some wankers on youtube that all have the same top 10 list because who in their right mind wouldn't just put

Sonic 2
Sonic 3+K
Shinobi 3
Contra: Hardcorps
Phantasy Star 4
Gunstar Heroes
Streets of Rage 2
Castlevania: Bloodlines
NHL '94

and

gently caress I can never pick this last one

I don’t watch those.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kazvall posted:

sometimes I think I like just setting all my poo poo up, you know, modding/hacking/getting all the roms setup/all the right settings

for example, I'll spend like 10 hours cleaning out a ps3, putting in a new HD, custom firmware, custom fan profiles, downloading and loading all the games and imagining just how much fun those games will be to play and then I'll like

just go and play diablo 2 hc instead lmao

Sometimes a man just wants to Tinker. Thinking about how many times I've spent a week curating a perfect mod list... creating a thing of beauty, a finely honed machine, is its own reward

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Wormskull posted:

I don’t watch those.

If someone has a nice soothing voice, I will listen to them say basically the same exact poo poo everyone else has said about old games forever, because it slams my nostalgia button. Also, I have run out of content to listen to while at work. Any recs?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
30 lives :colbert:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Kazvall posted:

If someone has a nice soothing voice, I will listen to them say basically the same exact poo poo everyone else has said about old games forever, because it slams my nostalgia button. Also, I have run out of content to listen to while at work. Any recs?

check out music reaction stoner youtube op. i recommend "jesses auditorium" and uh maybe jhulian R, only problem is he almost exclusively does anime soundtracks and hizke games

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

tmfc posted:

yeah i spent literally weeks making the ultimate retropie a couple years ago, with a highly curated rom list w/perfect metadata, slick NES-mini theme, custom background music, cool Super Famicom style case, etc. when it was done i ended up playing earthbound for like 2 weeks and then switched to playing it on my Switch and hardly touched the thing again lol. was still fun to put together.

I spent hours over a couple of nights setting up one of the RetroArch front ends for Xbox, getting all the art and directories lined up real nice, and then launched it and it didn't work at all and the discord just said "yeah it be like that sometimes, you gotta do it again" so I just set up RetroArch normally and Microsoft killed all the emulation apps a week later.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Gaming Truth:

a being a good guy is for children

Being a loving psycho evil guy in games that allow it is much better

Further truth:

There are so few games that do “evil” playthroughs well

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

Gaming Truth:

a being a good guy is for children

Being a loving psycho evil guy in games that allow it is much better

Further truth:

There are so few games that do “evil” playthroughs well

Yup. Especially because evil rewards are always "here's the +10 sword of doom and fifteen thousand gold pieces" and the good rewards are "lil' timmy gets to live for three more months"

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Arrhythmia posted:

Yup. Especially because evil rewards are always "here's the +10 sword of doom and fifteen thousand gold pieces" and the good rewards are "lil' timmy gets to live for three more months"

It feels so much better to just do it “my way” lol. Oh you want me to do all these steps to get a gay little item for your friend? How about I chop your loving head off and loot your lovely clothes and drop them off at your friends doorstep. Problem solved.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thahts why when maki ng"Kenshi" they only gave you evil options. and it worked

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There's a few games like Age of Decadence that take the whole good/evil spectrum out of the picture and just reward you for being a dick but just come off a bit cynical and mean spirited.

two of the best evil paths I can think of are NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer which is a genuinely fantastic campaign in a bad game/engine and Planescape Torment

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I liked in Fable 2 you had to do nasty poo poo like eat baby chicks whole and run around naked to get evil enough for horns to grow out of your head

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I liked in Fable 2 you had to do nasty poo poo like eat baby chicks whole and run around naked to get evil enough for horns to grow out of your head

lmao yeah, Fable FTW honestly

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lmao yeah, Fable FTW honestly

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Peter Molyneux said in Fable 1 there would be another adventure who would also try to do the quests and things you do and if you took too long you could get to the end and the other NPC adventurer could have beaten the last boss and took all the treasure lmfao

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
The demon door that wants you to eat baby chicks in front of it ftw.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If I have to do evil poo poo to avoid playing the crappy game, I’d just play another game.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If I have to do evil poo poo to avoid playing the crappy game, I’d just play another game.

*Holding Socko up to mimic reading this post*

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Peter Molyneux said in Fable 1 there would be another adventure who would also try to do the quests and things you do and if you took too long you could get to the end and the other NPC adventurer could have beaten the last boss and took all the treasure lmfao

lmfao, i wonder if that some crap he made up for an interview, or something that was actually in the design dock and the team had to talk him down from

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

When it was called Project Ego, fable was gonna be the greatest and most ambitious game ever made. I definitely read a lot of fun wacky forum speculation about how you'd tan and age realistically, NPCs would have full AI-driven lives, it was gonna be epic

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah the whole world was gonna be dynamic and you would make a rival as a kid who would grow up to be your enemy. not scripted, just that kind of thing would happen due to the AI and incredible world simulation. seems like that stuff didn't quite make it in

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i didnt believe any of that crap even when i was a dumbass kid

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wizardry 7 does this and it kicks rear end. I remember getting to the end of one extremely annoying dungeon and finding the chest with the super important item had already been looted, and I wandered away in an absolute panic only to discover the rival party who had stolen it stuck in a corner nearby because they had become lost and had already been beaten up by mobs so I murdered them and took it. If I'd been 20 minutes later I don't think I would have had to bother with the annoying dungeon at all

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

with black and white they let him do his bullshit and it kicked rear end. and it sucks poo poo. it loving sucks to play black and white. but it's cool as hell. then for fable some big money guys come and clamp down on all his cool ideas and make a normal game that everybody likes? fail

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

trying to jack off posted:

lmfao, i wonder if that some crap he made up for an interview, or something that was actually in the design dock and the team had to talk him down from

Swinging a sword would make your sword arm bigger lol

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Kazvall posted:

If someone has a relaxing voice they can mating press my nostalgia button until I squee.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ol yeller posted:

If someone has a relaxing voice they can mating press my nostalgia button until I squee.

Lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ol yeller posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ol yeller posted:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ol yeller posted:

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

ol yeller posted:

Lol

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Frequently in life, when I am failing something(which is often), I will admonish myself by saying, "you should not have tried to defeat Lu Bu you loving idiot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

ol yeller posted:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!