Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I had been playing since the original release in 2014. Back then I used to travel a lot for work so I would use it like a time machine during long flights and train trips.

It was also my goto mindless game to play while I listen to podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Ultima Online; first mmog nostalgia.

It really was the wild west; anything goes. You had to make friends to survive outside of town and in dungeons. Even the towns with the NPC guards weren't 100% safe. PKs and pickpockets were everywhere. With a good group of friends though, you could check out the deepest dungeons and the most dangerous wilderness areas.

I actually met my two best friends from the game IRL. Crazy, I know; but we met in Las Vegas and had a great time meeting each other face to face and hanging out for a weekend.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I really dig a bunch of platinum games, but I always find myself playing through metal gear rising: revengance every year or so. The combat is just so satisfying

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Super Mario Bros.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Tribes

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Middle-earth: Bombadil

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I did it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Icochet posted:

Middle-earth: Bombadil

Hey! Ho! A Ring a Ding First Level

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dick Fontaine posted:

a thread full of cowards. a whole lotta opinions but very few stats. let’s see those numbers goons. let’s see that truth laid bare all honest like. what’s #1 when you hit “sort by time played” on your library?

ok

on xbox: microsoft flight simulator
on my laptop/steam library: crusader kings 2

the point you raise is kind of silly though, most of us have been playing games way longer than these online libraries that track playtime etc. existed. like if someone's favorite game is nethack or some old might and magic game how tf are they supposed to "prove" that?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I am a big ol' RPG nerd with probably bad taste, but I likes what I likes. Top three is best I can narrow it to.

Tales of the Abyss is a JRPG and I love it to death. It's one of two games where I beat the final boss only to discover no, you fool, this is just the halfway point. Blew my mind as a teenager and I was so excited to have the world open up out of nowhere.

Disgaea is a SRPG that I got for Christmas when I was 15. Turn-based is my jam, I love the reincarnation system, everything is cute as hell, and the humor is goofy and genre-aware. Character artist Takehito Harada also had a huge influence on how I color things!

And then Dragon Age: Origins. I love everything about it, even where it's clunky. I didn't realize how much info I retained from it until I was helping my sister run her war board in DA:I based on all the politics, religion, and history I learned in Origins. The world's just neat as hell and I like being there.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dick Fontaine posted:

a thread full of cowards. a whole lotta opinions but very few stats. let’s see those numbers goons. let’s see that truth laid bare all honest like. what’s #1 when you hit “sort by time played” on your library?

Rimworld with 1150 hours and it deserved every one of them

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Internetjack posted:

Ultima Online; first mmog nostalgia.

It really was the wild west; anything goes. You had to make friends to survive outside of town and in dungeons. Even the towns with the NPC guards weren't 100% safe. PKs and pickpockets were everywhere. With a good group of friends though, you could check out the deepest dungeons and the most dangerous wilderness areas.

I actually met my two best friends from the game IRL. Crazy, I know; but we met in Las Vegas and had a great time meeting each other face to face and hanging out for a weekend.

There's a very good UO server nowadays called Outland. It's kind of the last bastion of UO servers. It uses a completely custom landmass and has a ton of good custom content added that fits in with old-school pre-trammel UO and is overall very active and fun. Highly recommended if you like UO in its heyday

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
World of warcraft baybeee post your time lost gamers I must have put 100 hours into putting dresses on my bearded dwarf

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Das Boo posted:

I am a big ol' RPG nerd with probably bad taste, but I likes what I likes. Top three is best I can narrow it to.

Tales of the Abyss is a JRPG and I love it to death. It's one of two games where I beat the final boss only to discover no, you fool, this is just the halfway point. Blew my mind as a teenager and I was so excited to have the world open up out of nowhere.

Disgaea is a SRPG that I got for Christmas when I was 15. Turn-based is my jam, I love the reincarnation system, everything is cute as hell, and the humor is goofy and genre-aware. Character artist Takehito Harada also had a huge influence on how I color things!

And then Dragon Age: Origins. I love everything about it, even where it's clunky. I didn't realize how much info I retained from it until I was helping my sister run her war board in DA:I based on all the politics, religion, and history I learned in Origins. The world's just neat as hell and I like being there.

A couple RPGMaker games I loved (full 50hr games) Exit Fate and Last Scenario: https://site.scfworks.com/?page_id=8

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
Morrowind- my old personal favorite, but doesn't really stand up to the test of time
Super Mario World- it's a perfect Mario game
Zelda LTTP- a perfect Zelda Game.
XCOM Enemy Within- Endlessly repayable, hard but fair. :xcom:
Minecraft- I've played for hours with my kids over the last 12 years or so. Great times, great memories.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Earwicker posted:

ok

on xbox: microsoft flight simulator
on my laptop/steam library: crusader kings 2

the point you raise is kind of silly though, most of us have been playing games way longer than these online libraries that track playtime etc. existed. like if someone's favorite game is nethack or some old might and magic game how tf are they supposed to "prove" that?

the point is to be silly

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

if there was any market for it you could call yourself a master at Binding of Issiac

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

pencilhands posted:

super mario rpg

aside from it being a sick game, i LOVED it when i was a kid and rented it from the video store like every week. my brother was a huge dick to me for pretty much my entire childhood and i have very few good memories with him, but for some reason when the rental store was closing down he bought it on clearance and gave it to me. i still have the cartridge.

you know what, pencilhands? you're alright.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

my answer is probably final fight (the game my avatar is from) not because i think it's objectively the best game in the world, but like.. you know when you're 11 years old and you think something is cool and nothing will ever be as cool as that thing in that moment in your life ever again? that's final fight for me.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Iykyk

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

very good choice here

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
hp and mp are restored, but your still hungry

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Name Frog Glenn to show you're a ~pro gamer~

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

stab posted:

Name Frog Glenn to show you're a ~pro gamer~

gently caress you if you don't name Marle Nadia

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Hammu-rob-i posted:

A couple RPGMaker games I loved (full 50hr games) Exit Fate and Last Scenario: https://site.scfworks.com/?page_id=8

Hell, yes. Thank you!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

gently caress you if you don't name Marle Nadia

Or everyone in your FF7 party Sephiroth

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

dsf posted:

It can only be the original US version though. No remakes or remasters.

You spoony bard!

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
NES Pirates!

Or maybe Ancient Art of War at Sea on my Mac Plus since that got me into tall ships first. You know you’ve made a good video game when it ends up sending kids to the library to research the Age of Sail.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Regalingualius posted:

Or everyone in your FF7 party Sephiroth

this guy knows whats up

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Junk posted:

my answer is probably final fight (the game my avatar is from) not because i think it's objectively the best game in the world, but like.. you know when you're 11 years old and you think something is cool and nothing will ever be as cool as that thing in that moment in your life ever again? that's final fight for me.

My fav avatar on the site. 1st stage boss

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

just noticed Caves of Qud actually has the most hours played because it is genuinely awesome if you like classic roguelike games. The creator is a goon and the caves of qud thread in games is always pretty active for such a niche game and its helped shape the game for the better over the years which has been a neat thing to watch.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Hammu-rob-i posted:

My fav avatar on the site. 1st stage boss

hell yeah, thanks!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Das Boo posted:

Thedas is a fairly well crafted standard fantasy world with some interesting elements, like the Fade and their version of elves. I mean, there are better and more unique worlds out there, but Thedas is alright for what it is. I just think any other studio other than Bioware could have made it into something like Tamriel of Elder Scrolls fame.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

if we're talking about objectively best game, my vote goes to starcraft: brood war (non-remastered)

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Wifi Toilet posted:

NES Pirates!

Or maybe Ancient Art of War at Sea on my Mac Plus since that got me into tall ships first. You know you’ve made a good video game when it ends up sending kids to the library to research the Age of Sail.

One pinnance and 7 merchantmen all day long son

Also pressing select every 3 seconds while at sea so the day never changes and you can go from one end of the Carribean to the other in 1 day

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

zone posted:

Thedas is a fairly well crafted standard fantasy world with some interesting elements, like the Fade and their version of elves. I mean, there are better and more unique worlds out there, but Thedas is alright for what it is. I just think any other studio other than Bioware could have made it into something like Tamriel of Elder Scrolls fame.

I think where Thedas suffers in terms of worldbuild is its just... like too dark. there is very little levity, everything is deadly serious except for the comic relief provided by your characters quips and stuff. there's nothing included to be like outright whimsical or joyous like the shire to contrast all the suffering going on. still an awesome game but I just think that lack of contrast in tone makes the world kind of unmemorable

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I think I still have a Genesis in a box somewhere just to play toejam & earl

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Revins posted:

I think where Thedas suffers in terms of worldbuild is its just... like too dark. there is very little levity, everything is deadly serious except for the comic relief provided by your characters quips and stuff. there's nothing included to be like outright whimsical or joyous like the shire to contrast all the suffering going on. still an awesome game but I just think that lack of contrast in tone makes the world kind of unmemorable

It could be considered kind of an intentional choice given the way the setting works, but yeah, I do agree it really needs to be not so humorless and grim.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It may be a case of recency bias for me, but Disco Elysium. It’s such a perfect mix of humor, horror, heartache, and hope bundled together with one of the moodiest soundtracks I’ve ever listened to.

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

beautiful. that’s the real deal right there