Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Cigarettes improve focus in the game therefore you should smoke in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah that sounds like some BS justification to hide whatever the real reason is.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Someone on the core dev team is extremely weird about drugs having any kind of upside, I don't know if it's Kevin or someone else but it's been a longstanding thing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's always stuck out to me how comically overwrought withdrawal gets very quickly. I don't think abusing adderall prescription stimulants for a couple days will have you constantly near-passing out during withdrawals, or that you're going to be hallucinating basically 24/7 after being addicted to alcohol for a week and then coming off it, but what do I know?

Cataclysm: DARE days ahead

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

At one point it was a good idea to smoke a bunch of meth before doing surgery on yourself to implant cybernetics.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Drugs in video games are always wack. See Rimworld and how everything needs a downside, so weed smokeleaf is pointless because it slows your pawn's movement and gives a big enough drop to their consciousness that it can literally kill them.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
a very dear and wonderful friend of mine has schizophrenia, I have personally been present for two separate instances of him losing contact with reality after going off meds.

one of the quickest ways to become friends with a person who has schizophrenia is being willing to discuss the meds in any way beyond "you have to take them". there are a lot of trade-offs involved, schizophrenia meds are rough as gently caress, and being able to talk about it in any way besides "but u gotta take em" is SUPER loving IMPORTANT TO HELPING THEM BE WILLING TO TAKE THEM

I would be happy to hop on a call explain to these poo poo lords why deciding this is """problematic""" is, in fact, the problematic thing. shouting would be involved. none of these people actually give a gently caress about people who actually deal with psychosis, it's just nerds trading purity points with other, equally clueless nerds.

I'm totally loving livid up the wall over this. someone, somewhere, is in desperate need of having a chair smashed over their head.

AUGH

Haifisch posted:

It's always stuck out to me how comically overwrought withdrawal gets very quickly. I don't think abusing adderall prescription stimulants for a couple days will have you constantly near-passing out during withdrawals, or that you're going to be hallucinating basically 24/7 after being addicted to alcohol for a week and then coming off it, but what do I know?

Cataclysm: DARE days ahead

yeah the way drugs work in this game is so hilarious. I can 100% positively verify they work nothing like real life. eating ambien will ABSOLUTELY NOT counteract a recreational amphetamine dose and allow you to sleep lmao

ComradePyro fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 7, 2024

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I'm going to tell my friend with schizophrenia about this today and we're going to have a good time making fun of it together.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im going to smoke meth and install some cybernetics
.... irl! :evilbuddy:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The weird thing is, I enjoy the magic portal psychosis because hell yeah, some weird poo poo is going to go down when reality is breaking and everyone has been exposed to an insane eldritch horror that caused some people to go into violent bloodlust 24/7 so that they'll create more zombies. It's even a thing in the TTRPG for CDDA I'm running right now; one of the NPCs in their camp has it, and they're trying to figure out how to help him manage it and whether or not what he sees (since they've determined he 'sees' nearby realities at all times) might help warn of portal storms. In other words, trying to help the guy deal with this while at the same time, he's trying to figure out if there's some way it could help everyone survive. The whole point of it being a magic fantasy condition is that it opens up more ways to use it specifically for this setting and story, without generic 'madness' being the cause. I, too, have to manage ADHD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, so a story about someone dealing with a novel and completely new mental condition in the middle of the apocalypse can be fun.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
The dev's team response to your thoughts is, apparently, "take ur meds schizo". infuriating

that is really cool though, what a neat story, you guys are cool for that.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Dandywalken posted:

Im going to smoke meth and install some cybernetics

cocaine would be a better choice, it’s a fantastic anesthetic

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
The crux of the issue for me was like, the game had a schizophrenia trait which was very badly implemented and was nothing like real-life schizophrenia. It was perpetuating some outdated and negative stereotypes about how the condition works, and they rightly thought "hey this is pretty offensive." The solution they came up with was to rename it to something else. Based on more recent discussions around the removal of the Psychopath trait for the same reasons, I don't think they would have been comfortable simply making Schizophrenia more realistic. It was a problem for them that it was depicted at all.

So they renamed it to Kaluptic Psychosis, which is a fake condition that is caused by Cataclysm things, which are explicitly magical sci fi dimension-hopping nonsense. That doesn't necessarily mean these people have special powers or anything, but it means that they are hallucinating for Cataclysm reasons and not for Schizophrenia reasons. Fine, that's totally acceptable. Except Kevin's phrasing in response to the burning eye thing kind of reveals that the whole thing was sleight of hand. It's still schizophrenia, it was just that calling it schizophrenia out loud was deemed offensive. To me that's the worst possible way to handle it. It's just sweeping it under the rug and calling it woke, which is worse than having the problematic depiction of it around in the first place because now it's a straight up lie, kinda the definition of performativity, which is really weird, because the game is otherwise pretty good at depicting different kinds of people with some sensitivity.

ComradePyro posted:

one of the quickest ways to become friends with a person who has schizophrenia is being willing to discuss the meds in any way beyond "you have to take them". there are a lot of trade-offs involved, schizophrenia meds are rough as gently caress

This is what I was angling for. A friend of mine got put on Seroquel and while it managed one or two symptoms, it made things much worse for her in other ways. She would fall asleep standing up and kept having false memories about conversations we hadn't had, something she never did before she started taking it. I myself have had similar but less dramatic experiences with antidepressants. Nowadays I take Vyvanse and while it's vastly changed my life for the better, there are days where I choose not to take it because not all of the things that it does are good. It is absolutely the case that my assorted mental illnesses do make me better at some things than I would be without them.

Kafouille posted:

Someone on the core dev team is extremely weird about drugs having any kind of upside, I don't know if it's Kevin or someone else but it's been a longstanding thing.

Even if this is the case, I think such a PR could be reverted or denied without language that implied that I was trying to hurt people in real life.

I have pretty strongly defended the dev team and even Kevin in the past, both here and on Reddit, where people are incredibly hostile toward them for reasons that I still think are usually misinformed or argued in bad faith. They are neither ruining the game with ~realism~ nor are they bad people. They do not deserve the abuse or trolling they constantly get, and some of this is just stuff that plagues every open source project no matter who works on it. But also: god drat dude

Leal posted:

Drugs in video games are always wack. See Rimworld

IMO the drugs in Rimworld are perfect. They're incredibly powerful in the right situations and there are always ways to mitigate the downsides and maximize the benefits, even though you're generally fighting a losing battle against tolerance and addiction. Smokeleaf does need a floor on its -consciousness effect though, because it is silly when someone dies of weed. My last colony was waster transhumanists who ran on psychite 24/7 and would pop a yayo every other day, which stacked with their pollution buffs, bionics, and neural supercharge effects to make them really, really fast and effective pretty much all the time. My doctor had a joywire and a thing that broadcasted her good mood to everyone around her, and her stats were so high, the joywire debuff didn't even matter, that was lots of fun.

I don't even want CDDA drugs to be that good. It's fine if they're mostly bad, because RL drugs are mostly bad for things other than recreation, and often not worth the trouble even then.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 7, 2024

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

worm girl posted:

This is what I was angling for. A friend of mine got put on Seroquel and while it managed one or two symptoms, it made things much worse for her in other ways. She would fall asleep standing up and kept having false memories about conversations we hadn't had, something she never did before she started taking it. I myself have had similar but less dramatic experiences with antidepressants. Nowadays I take Vyvanse and while it's vastly changed my life for the better, there are days where I choose not to take it because not all of the things that it does are good. It is absolutely the case that my assorted mental illnesses do make me better at some things than I would be without them.

yep I could tell this was the case and that's why I posted, it's one of those things that sounds a hell of a lot better if somebody else says it for you first. Accordingly, here's my friend's take, he's "nourishing steam" here:

Last night, we were laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes about the argument we had about his instant transmission dominos delivery. He was ABSOLUTELY loving INDIGNANT that his instant-transmission pizza was not in his hands five seconds after placing the order. I tried to explain to him that there is no such thing as instant transmission pizza that is from dragon ball z. He was having absolutely none of that bullshit. He then explained, in very clear and concise English, that he knows about dragon ball Z instant transmission and it is NOT WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT, he's talking about DOMINOS INSTANT TRANSMISSION PIZZA. They are DIFFERENT.

Couldn't get it through my thick skull, I'm very stubborn like that, so he decides to call and complain. Oh jesus, no, do not talk to those poor people they are so tired, how do I stop him? I gave him the corporate number. Funniest loving phone call I've ever heard in my god drat life.

p.s. starting to get weird how much we have in common, went back to adderall after trying vyvanse for a few months. less physical discomfort but a lot more prone to hyperfocus, been with my good friends 20 XR and 10 IR ever since!

E: oh, I also wanted to point something out: I distinctly remember, from the last thread, your posts defending the dev team from the allegation that they remove things for arbitrary reasons by advocating for a more nuanced understanding of how it works. it's pretty cool to see you keep that same energy even now, mad respect. because you did that, I now have a better understanding of the flavor of stupid that got your stuff pulled

PMing continued amphetaminechat

(USER WAS BANNED FOR ENCOURAGING PEOPLE TO GO OFF THEIR MEDS)

ComradePyro fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 7, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

ComradePyro posted:

p.s. starting to get weird how much we have in common, went back to adderall after trying vyvanse for a few months. less physical discomfort but a lot more prone to hyperfocus, been with my good friends 20 XR and 10 IR ever since!

IMO Adderall is just better all around, but the fact that even the XR doesn't last all day is a really big downside. Adderall turns your day into a roller coaster where you're trying to work around the peaks and comedown rather than just letting you forget that your brain is chemically deficient for 90% of the day.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Not sure glamorizing mental illness as "cool and sexy" is the way to go about things tbqh

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Not sure glamorizing mental illness as "cool and sexy" is the way to go about things tbqh

well, I assume he thought of that and so I interpreted it a little more charitably than you.

If you're truly confident you're ahead of him on it, though, I can pass your misgivings about the idea along. I don't think it's a good plan, personally, but it's your call. lmk

E: I should state clearly that the biggest problem I have with the removal is a bunch of people, who I doubt have any experience with psychosis, decided They Know Best about what is and is not good to say about it without seeming to try hard to understand the other person's perspective. It's pure hubris. At least they didn't respond directly to a person with a history of psychotic breaks due to his schizophrenia. That would be much more ridiculous.

ComradePyro fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 7, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I dont care if you do or dont lol. dont know the dude

But an already overwhelmed medical system being further inundated with people who heard of a sexy new condition trending on Tiktok and self-diagnosing themselves is pretty nightmarish

and already a thing, and it sucks!

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Dandywalken posted:

Are you accusing me of this, or a guy who is not here that was in DMs with someone who was idly commenting on the situation?

'cause I don't think "you have a 50% chance for psychic attacks from this one sort of rare monster to miss if you have this one fantasy mental illness" qualifies as glamorizing anything.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

I dont care if you do or dont lol. dont know the dude

But an already overwhelmed medical system being further inundated with people who heard of a sexy new condition trending on Tiktok and self-diagnosing themselves is pretty nightmarish

and already a thing, and it sucks!

sure, I get that. It is a little more difficult to think of as being very important, though, after your therapist tells you that you're not autistic, you're an introvert, and then he talks about autism on tiktok. I found it to be insulting and condescending in the extreme, just like your posts now. Feels a lot more like concern trolling than authentic concern, Do you have any direct experience with or data on any of this? I would love to hear all about it.

I've been dealing with the same kind of poo poo since before tiktok was a thing. It's kinda weird to me that people care SO MUCH MORE about people who get a diagnosis they don't need than the people who don't get one that they do. Explain to me, as clearly as you can, why the people who don't have the disorder but get the diagnosis should in any way be prioritized over people who have it but get told they're just parroting poo poo they saw on tik tok. I really, truly want to hear every word it. I'm 100% certain it will be satisfying to see.

Or you can shut the gently caress up and we can talk about something closer to the subject at hand than whether or not my friend said the ideal thing when he made a little offhand joke. That is a distinct option.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

worm girl posted:

Are you accusing me of this, or a guy who is not here that was in DMs with someone who was idly commenting on the situation?

'cause I don't think "you have a 50% chance for psychic attacks from this one sort of rare monster to miss if you have this one fantasy mental illness" qualifies as glamorizing anything.

No not you, your idea rules

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ComradePyro posted:

sure, I get that. It is a little more difficult to think of as being very important, though, after your therapist tells you that you're not autistic, you're an introvert, and then he talks about autism on tiktok. I found it to be insulting and condescending in the extreme, just like your posts now. Feels a lot more like concern trolling than authentic concern, Do you have any direct experience with or data on any of this? I would love to hear all about it.

I've been dealing with the same kind of poo poo since before tiktok was a thing. It's kinda weird to me that people care SO MUCH MORE about people who get a diagnosis they don't need than the people who don't get one that they do. Explain to me, as clearly as you can, why the people who don't have the disorder but get the diagnosis should in any way be prioritized over people who have it but get told they're just parroting poo poo they saw on tik tok. I really, truly want to hear every word it. I'm 100% certain it will be satisfying to see.

Or you can shut the gently caress up and we can talk about something closer to the subject at hand than whether or not my friend said the ideal thing when he made a little offhand joke. That is a distinct option.

Incredible posting voice

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

remember when this thread was about an @ hitting a big Z with a baseball bat

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
you see the kids these days, they see people on tiktok:

- disrespecting their elders
- having ADHD
- loitering
- having autism
- existing at all
- experiencing psychosis
- shooting cops
- transing their gender

and they get crazy ideas! god, do you all remember that huge wave of teenagers convinced they had multiple personalities that snapped the healthcare system over its knees like a dry twig? we can't let it happen again!!!!!!!

you are a horrible jackass who needs to go back to whatever hellhole that spawns the hillary avatar people. good day!

Dandywalken posted:

Im going to experience psychosis like on tiktok

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

sorry, I was being a little apathetic towards the needs of people who don't care about the discussion. I can see how reading posts that aren't interesting would be really hard for you, I'll try to be more mindful in the future. still learning.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR FORCING CHILDREN TO BELIEVE PSYCHOSIS IS TOO SEXY AND COOL)

ComradePyro fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 8, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The melee weapon variety is something I really like in CDDA. It rules to come across a flamberge, a Halligan tool, and a piece of rebar and being able to go "Wow, I can beat a zombies rear end with any of these!"

Plus Id never heard of a lot of the martial arts that are ingame. And then cool stuff like the Scottish daemon-horse a few pages back.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

really more of a demon-horse-man

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Dandywalken posted:

The melee weapon variety is something I really like in CDDA. It rules to come across a flamberge, a Halligan tool, and a piece of rebar and being able to go "Wow, I can beat a zombies rear end with any of these!"

Plus Id never heard of a lot of the martial arts that are ingame. And then cool stuff like the Scottish daemon-horse a few pages back.

One of the best things CDDA does is subtly encourage people towards more refined weapons but if you want to hulk out with mutant strength then a giant slab of steel can be just as effective.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
getting back to the discussion at hand, it is kind of interesting how erasure actually works vs how it's commonly thought about. SA is usually really good at having these kinds of discussions, but it didn't take long at all for things to do the usual "wow, lil much doncha think" endpoint.

to me, it seems to often go like this:

- people will be discussing something particular to a certain identity, disorder, whatever
- somebody who isn't part of or friends with anyone part of that group chimes in with an ignorant take. 9/10 times, it's something that's been used to cause harm for the people who belong to the group under discussion.
- that person doesn't get patted on the back for it and throws a bitch fit. the rules have now changed, they were allowed to sincerely share the thought but now being sincere is cringe and ew
- if they feel like they are losing, they try to change the subject
- chucklefucks come out of the woodwork, suddenly everyone is interested in anything, no matter how boring (don't say this part out loud) as long as it's not the initial thing that was being talked about

and that's what people mean when they say that they get "silenced". if you say that you were "silenced", though? cringe, ew, change of subject please!!!!

Honestly, the most surprising thing about this instance of it is how starkly visible it is. We are talking about someone having a SHITLOAD of work just tossed in the dumpster because it's "problematic" , which typically means "anything offends the sensibilities of straight white men", regardless of whether it was even tangentially related to the thing that was supposedly a problem.

Cue some guy policing my friend because he made a joke wrong. I thought to myself, "Surely everyone will recognize they just made the 'no HRT for kids' argument but reskinned it to psychosis", right?

Nope, we have this weird thin veil of conversation to try forcibly change the subject no matter how transparent the pretext. Many such cases. Or hey, maybe I'm just being too dramatic and making a big deal out of nothing, yeah?

My friend has an SA account, has been reading along, and thinks I am absolutely hilarious. That's enough for me, I feel pretty good about the posts. Be sure to say hi to him if you reply!

Dandywalken posted:

getting back to the discussion at hand,

do you know what autism is or do you want me to explain why "lol you talk wrong" isn't ever going to be as cutting as you want it to be. it's pretty old news to me bud

(USER WAS BANNED FOR GOING BEYOND THE PALE)

ComradePyro fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 8, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

getting back to the discussion at hand,

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Drugs are bad, stop talking about them! (Take the IRL drug derail + tantrum elsewhere, talking about weird dev decisions in this game is fine IMO)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

real leopards are reverting my face hours in Cataclysm development. Sorry about all your work down the drain worm girl. :(

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Is it deja vu, or is this like the second or third person I've seen in the CDDA thread, who puts a whole lot of effort and enthusiasm into the game, and then gets the rug pulled from under them by the other devs?

I don't mean like the transphobic tileset guy who used to huff out of their forums whenever he got called on it, but people who are just baffled by why their stuff got reverted.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah its a thing that happens

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah its a thing that happens

yeah at very least its the second in memory. Github convos looked pretty normal, WormGirl tried to get things tweaked at dev request for code compliance/formatting with their standards then suddenly a revert. Super lame.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

A mi-go guard can clear an entire FEMA camp without dying. That's a little scary but I got so many MREs by luring one from a structure about 15 square away and it must be on its very last dot of health..

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

are they the ones with guns? i hate them with my life

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

are they the ones with guns? i hate them with my life

They're the ones with the disorienting scream.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

don't believe i've met one but i'm sure i'd hate it too if i did

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I think my current game is finally at the point where I can start making mutagen. Thanks to excessive and irremovable CBMs like Expanded Digestion and Synthetic Lungs, my prospects are pretty limited. (Plus, I have all the alloy plating CBMs, which conflict with body changes. I can remove those, though.) I think I'll just do Alpha as the safest, least conflicting situation. (Expanded Digestion cancels Carnivore and Herbivore, which are linchpin mutations for basically every line that has them.) I also considered Fish, as it also has no dietary restrictions, but it has no +Strength mutations so it doesn't work all that great with my current build. Plus, I'm pretty sure growing a tail would make me unable to wear faraday chainmail any more, which is crucial to survival in Year 2. My current game is running an experimental build that's over two months old, so I don't have the Chiropteran line, either. Too scared of breaking things to update.

Any suggestions? Also, how much mutagen do I need to make? Alpha primer is very difficult to make because it needs alpha samples, and those are very difficult to acquire. I haven't seen any inside this TCL I cleared out, but I'm not done looting the lower levels since my character is currently laid up with a cold and I don't want to expose him to any potential combat until he's well again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Old quote but thank you for what you managed to get done.

worm girl for CDDA dictator (benevolent?)