Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Morrow posted:

Even the GOP's control of the house is threatening various tax cuts, since they can't keep their caucus cohesive enough to pass legislation and negotiate.

They're not even going to be able to do a consolation impeachment

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1753134034115281196

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

zoux posted:

Jesus Christ, a Republican who can see further than the end of his own nose? I didn't know there were any of those left.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Morrow posted:

Even the GOP's control of the house is threatening various tax cuts, since they can't keep their caucus cohesive enough to pass legislation and negotiate.

i think its because the culture war is the only war now. yeah some would like to cut taxes but either making minorities die Or shutting down everything so they can hunt witches is a bigger priority.

zoux posted:

yeah the GOP is in some genuin disarray. the carcinogen that was Newt that grew into the cancer of the tea party and accelerated by maga bs has fully matastized.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Jesus Christ, a Republican who can see further than the end of his own nose? I didn't know there were any of those left.

there are plenty, they are just either on the supreme court, retired or a tiny minority. more in the senate then the house.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think its because the culture war is the only war now. yeah some would like to cut taxes but either making minorities die Or shutting down everything so they can hunt witches is a bigger priority.

yeah the GOP is in some genuin disarray. the carcinogen that was Newt that grew into the cancer of the tea party and accelerated by maga bs has fully matastized.

Yeah they should have passed more poo poo when they were in the "rabid base but still under control of the of soulless money men" era but nope.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/rpyers/status/1752914377395851642

This is like, struggling state party numbers....

In addition to Trump and other's blatant skimming, the crazies are actively driving out competent people. Remember that McCarthy was one of, if not the, biggest fundraisers.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Can you dive into this a bit? I'm reading that you think the FDA is fearful of the folks heading the kratom industry because they're worse than the big tobacco folks? What are they afraid of - gangland executions? Public smear campaigns? It's the federal government, kinda weird to hear about them being fearful of anyone other than other state entities.

Several issues are occurring in confluence at FDA:

1. FDA has internal infra dysfunction regarding enforcement, an issue that's supposed to be addressed over the next year or so by a big reorganization of their food operations. I don't know the details of the problem, but it makes it hard to train and hire the people directly doing inspections and enforcement, particularly getting enough of them and getting them specialized to particular issues or product categories (and able to travel to where those products are). Union contracts may be involved, idk. A lot of that work is subcontracted to the states, which makes it harder to resolve, too. This is in part because...

2. FDA has a tiny fraction of the budget it needs. I did back-of-envelope calculations on this awhile ago and I thought they needed about a twelvefold increase in funding to adequately fulfill their obligations. In practice, every single part of the agency is conducting triage upon triage, cutting into bone in terms of what policies are getting enforced. This has been made much worse since I did that calculation because they've had several unfunded or underfunded mandates (for example, tobacco regulation and a recent, massive cosmetics regulation) that massively expand what they are supposed to do. This is the single biggest issue here, it feeds and worsens everything else.

3. They're terrified of bad precedent. FDA lost a set of court cases to libertarian groups that effectively removed their ability to regulate offlabel drug prescription practices many years ago; the resulting impact on healthcare is hard to overstate, because it's warped the entire practice of medicine (and insurance) around it, in a manner that creates a massive pile of perverse incentives and is virtually irreversible. The organizations behind that are still around and are actively fishing for similar reversals in every other area. Between this and their catastrophic lack of funding, the agency is basically in a permanent defensive crouch; very little regulation gets published as final, for example, because that would increase their legal exposure. A lot of what the agency puts out is "draft guidance," a lot of regulations aren't enforced under "resource prioritization," and they're constantly juggling responses to the latest issue crossing the public consciousness, trying to clean up the desperate compromises of the last resource-constrained decision they made.

4. It's relatively recent compared to the other issues (and not as bad as other agencies) but the agency now is developing industry capture problems. For a long time FDA was more resistant because they were set up as a pure public safety, industry regulation entity, but decades of pressure and attacks and underfunding (I can't emphasize the underfunding enough) are taking a toll, as more of the agency culture is influenced by mandates to "facilitate access" to goods.

Despite all this I gotta emphasize: with the partial possible exception of the EU and Canada in a couple areas, FDA is still the gold standard in most food and drug regulatory domains. Almost every other countries' regulatory systems on food and drugs are based on or just incorporate FDA systems by reference. To the degree that the EU and Canada do things better, it's usually because they were able to imitate the good parts of FDA and witness (and learn from) the problems.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 1, 2024

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Speaking of the FDA, letting Elon but torment nexuses into the heads of human beings is a horrible look.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Jaxyon posted:

Speaking of the FDA, letting Elon but torment nexuses into the heads of human beings is a horrible look.

Initial human trials were approved, but this was after a previous application was denied. Unfortunately basically none of the specifics of applications are public. Fwiw medical devices is probably the division at FDA with the best reputation these days since they cleaned up their approvals backlog.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/rpyers/status/1752914377395851642

This is like, struggling state party numbers....

It should be pointed out, at least from what I've heard and experienced, is that the RNC has far less control and influence over its members than the DNC/DTrip/DNC. Mostly because the Republican have more self funders and use the PAC structure more than the Democratic party does.

It's still not great for them and you know party infrastructure does matter to a degree but less so than in the past.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gyges posted:

In addition to Trump and other's blatant skimming, the crazies are actively driving out competent people. Remember that McCarthy was one of, if not the, biggest fundraisers.

i wonder how he did it. like i assume he could actually be persuisive to rich old dudes i guess.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

3. They're terrified of bad precedent. FDA lost a set of court cases to libertarian groups t

This is generally true of just about any regulatory law of any kind right now. A few years ago I heard Sam Bagenstos, former deputy head of the DOJ Office of Civil Rights under Obama and current General counsel for the US Department of Health and Human Services, give a talk to a national civil rights attorney convention, and the thesis of the talk was, quote, "please don't file any more civil rights cases, every time this court takes a tax case I'm happy because it's one less civil rights precedent they will destroy".

And that was before Barrett got appointed.

Any kind of civic minded litigation is extraordinarily high risk until the high court is reformed. We have a lot of strong regulatory and civil rights precedents out there but they are often far more powerful in terrorem than they are if litigated.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ms Adequate posted:

Ken Buck is my representative, and he sucks an incredible amount of poo poo. He was ran out of the CO district and was forced to retire for the crime of not being a true conservative. Loren Boebert switched districts to replace him, and the other candidates include a party leader that just resigned for getting caught covering up a drunk driving incident and several other candidates that brag about being arrested for various reasons.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

When they're literally doing the dystopia tech from SMAC, it seems like the answer is... Not a whole lot?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Trump actually paying bills seems very un-Trump

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Rappaport posted:

When they're literally doing the dystopia tech from SMAC, it seems like the answer is... Not a whole lot?

Yeah given how many animals Musk's company killed and the COI concerns around the committee that approved him to go forward, that's a dim view of the FDA.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Trump actually paying bills seems very un-Trump

I believe most of the smart lawyers started doing what Chris Kise did - demand money up front before beginning representation.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i wonder how he did it. like i assume he could actually be persuisive to rich old dudes i guess.

He was an influencial Republican from California.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah given how many animals Musk's company killed and the COI concerns around the committee that approved him to go forward, that's a dim view of the FDA.

This creates a place for radical orgs like ALF as a necessary corrective if the institutions fail us. If we can’t use the legitimate institutions as expressions of our collective will because they are so fragile or vulnerable in the ways they so obviously are, I can’t get mad about parapolitical organizations forcing the issue.

When the people whose job it is to use the institutions to derive fairer results tell us not to use those institutions, what’s the option?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Discendo Vox posted:

Initial human trials were approved, but this was after a previous application was denied. Unfortunately basically none of the specifics of applications are public. Fwiw medical devices is probably the division at FDA with the best reputation these days since they cleaned up their approvals backlog.
Is there any evidence he actually began human trials other than him saying so? I say this because he loves to lie about everything, especially if he thinks it can make him money

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Only thing to add onto Discendo's post, when DEA last looked to take action on kratom, industry lobbying was able to whip up a notable amount of support in Congress to push back. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2016/09/Final-DEA-Kratom-Letter-9.26.2016.pdf

If you're already pressed for resources, taking up the cause that will get members of congress crawling up your rear end is going to look less important than other projects, everything else being equal.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is there any evidence he actually began human trials other than him saying so? I say this because he loves to lie about everything, especially if he thinks it can make him money

I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable about approvals in that division, but it would be relatively hard to falsify conducting a human model medical device trial, and the timeline for it fits with the public announcements of the approval and recruitment period.

PharmerBoy posted:

Only thing to add onto Discendo's post, when DEA last looked to take action on kratom, industry lobbying was able to whip up a notable amount of support in Congress to push back. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2016/09/Final-DEA-Kratom-Letter-9.26.2016.pdf

If you're already pressed for resources, taking up the cause that will get members of congress crawling up your rear end is going to look less important than other projects, everything else being equal.

Gotta love it- concerned about denying this vital "treatment" for addiction, but not by subjecting it to safety or efficacy scrutiny.

selec posted:

This creates a place for radical orgs like ALF as a necessary corrective if the institutions fail us. If we can’t use the legitimate institutions as expressions of our collective will because they are so fragile or vulnerable in the ways they so obviously are, I can’t get mad about parapolitical organizations forcing the issue.

When the people whose job it is to use the institutions to derive fairer results tell us not to use those institutions, what’s the option?

This would be true if Neuralink weren't actually under investigation for those IACUC/OLAW issues, but they are. There is no actual justification for grifters like ALF; they aren't "necessary" in any way and provide no actual benefit. You might as well say January 6th was necessary.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 1, 2024

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

This would be true if Neuralink weren't actually under investigation for those IACUC/OLAW issues, but they are. There is no actual justification for grifters like ALF; they aren't "necessary" in any way and provide no actual benefit. You might as well say January 6th was necessary.

Why are we letting them jam poo poo into human heads if they are under investigation?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's not like human heads are in short supply

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rappaport posted:

It's not like human heads are in short supply

Not even human heads dumb enough to let Elon Musk shove electronics into them

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

selec posted:

No my colleagues who do legitimate animal research which cannot currently be replaced by other methods getting firebombed is not the loving answer to regulatory capture.

E: I would also like to not personally get killed in a fire because my laboratory happens to be located in the same building as a vivarium or other animal research facility tyvm

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Kagrenak posted:

No my colleagues who do legitimate animal research which cannot currently be replaced by other methods getting firebombed is not the loving answer to regulatory capture.

E: I would also like to not personally get killed in a fire because my laboratory happens to be located in the same building as a vivarium or other animal research facility tyvm

I can’t endorse their methods, but what’s the alternative if what we read about the way the monkeys were treated during Neurolink trials ends up meaning nothing?

If the oversight is broken, then what should be done? And how much unethical suffering are we willing to allow to persist while the oversight is broken, just eternally until we’re finally back to some potential future date when oversight works again?

This goes to my larger issue with things like the SC—if the only solution is to work within the decorum-approved channels, and those channels have absolutely no ability to prevent, say, a billionaire just buying off a justice publicly, well how long am I expected to stand for that poo poo? And how much respect for myself as a citizen and reverence for these institutions am I expected to maintain?

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

selec posted:

I can’t endorse their methods, but what’s the alternative if what we read about the way the monkeys were treated during Neurolink trials ends up meaning nothing?

If the oversight is broken, then what should be done? And how much unethical suffering are we willing to allow to persist while the oversight is broken, just eternally until we’re finally back to some potential future date when oversight works again?

This goes to my larger issue with things like the SC—if the only solution is to work within the decorum-approved channels, and those channels have absolutely no ability to prevent, say, a billionaire just buying off a justice publicly, well how long am I expected to stand for that poo poo? And how much respect for myself as a citizen and reverence for these institutions am I expected to maintain?

I don't know how we restore our broken institutions and build trust again after regulatory capture. A lot of us in the biomedical field were asking the same questions about CBER after the absurd approval of aducanumab. Especially when 40+% of the population seems to actively cheer on this sort of deregulatory spiral. But the answer can't be anyone taking whatever kinds of direct action they see fit against actors they deem a legitimate target, especially as most of the time these direct action groups have no idea what they're talking about.

Are we just forced to wait for things to get so bad we have to wait for another Upton Sinclair to write The New Jungle or whatever? I hope not, but I'm not sure what the answer is.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Kagrenak posted:

I don't know how we restore our broken institutions and build trust again after regulatory capture. A lot of us in the biomedical field were asking the same questions about CBER after the absurd approval of aducanumab. Especially when 40+% of the population seems to actively cheer on this sort of deregulatory spiral. But the answer can't be anyone taking whatever kinds of direct action they see fit against actors they deem a legitimate target, especially as most of the time these direct action groups have no idea what they're talking about.

Are we just forced to wait for things to get so bad we have to wait for another Upton Sinclair to write The New Jungle or whatever? I hope not, but I'm not sure what the answer is.

It sounds like the most effective direct action needs to come from people inside the industry. Historically, this has been true in a lot of cases. I could see a good faith effort to meaningfully engage with and self-police helping, but it’s simply not the same as the state when it comes to effective oversight.

If the answer isn’t from without, and it’s not coming from the official channels, then it has to be from within. Monkey wrenching for the sake of monkeys has a nice ring to it anyway. Otherwise people aren’t going to be content to sit around and hope it gets better, are they? If regulatory capture continues, that just radicalizes more people to causes like ALF if we see more tortured monkeys and more factory farm practices. There need to be effective, legitimate pressure valves, just from a practical and safety standpoint, because people have legitimate grievances, and if there’s no effective way to channel that into changes and actual punishment for violations, then they will channel that energy somewhere illegitimate, and radicalization efforts will be made much easier for every case exposed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

Why are we letting them jam poo poo into human heads if they are under investigation?

They're not under an inquiry relating to the validity of the device trial. There is no actual basis to believe that anything has gone wrong here except that people really, really want to argue in favor of the grifters for some reason.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

They're not under an inquiry relating to the validity of the device trial. There is no actual basis to believe that anything has gone wrong here except that people really, really want to argue in favor of the grifters for some reason.

OK but I did read that they had actually implanted the first one into a human, and given how badly they hosed up the animal trials resulting in a bunch of monkeys and pigs getting brain damage and having to be euthanized because they couldn't be bothered to check if the implant was the right size maybe there should be a LOT of scrutiny here. Especially when other companies are using much less dangerous methods of implantation.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/01/elon-musks-neuralink-puts-brain-chip-in-first-human-amid-federal-scrutiny/
Ok admittedly it says "Elon Musk claims" so take it with a lake of salt

L. Ron DeSantis fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 2, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

OK but I did read that they had actually implanted the first one into a human, and given how badly they hosed up the animal trials resulting in a bunch of monkeys and pigs getting brain damage and having to be euthanized because they couldn't be bothered to check if the implant was the right size maybe there should be a LOT of scrutiny here. Especially when other companies are using much less dangerous methods of implantation.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/01/elon-musks-neuralink-puts-brain-chip-in-first-human-amid-federal-scrutiny/
Ok admittedly it says "Elon Musk claims" so take it with a lake of salt

There was a lot of scrutiny. Musk has been trying to get Neuralink approved for human trials for literally years - the same leaks that told us about the maimed monkeys also told us that the FDA had denied them approval in 2022 and cited dozens of issues they would need to fix before they could get approval for human trials.

The fact that they have approval now means that they've convinced the FDA that they've fixed all of those issues and brought their operations in line with the FDA's expectations. Additionally, they only have approval for limited safety testing, subject to the constraints of an independent review board.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Uglycat posted:

I'm watching Colbert with a traveling nurse and an octogenarian and we suddenly arrived upon the realization - all three of us - that we see Taylor Swift in our feed at least twice as much as we see Donald Trump.

So I logged on to announce that here.

I'm sorry. Happy new thread!

Yeah it’s a huge truly insane mistake for the right to go nuts on Swift and the NFL.

It might end up being their “Have you no sense decency, Sir?” moment. GOP politics is now incels tweeting about a pop stars mons pubis being gay.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah it’s a huge truly insane mistake for the right to go nuts on Swift and the NFL.

It might end up being their “Have you no sense decency, Sir?” moment. GOP politics is now incels tweeting about a pop stars mons pubis being gay.

I think we hit that with abortion and j6 and the GOP just keeps doubling down, the thing is alot of the indies and moderates arnt buying it now. the issues is that the GOP is controlled by the true believer base through various means and because of the chud trinty, its never gonna stop until it breaks down.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

DV,

It’s not FDA but what I saw at USDA FGIS was a progression from full time folks to contracted part time managed by full time. Then the full time folks retired and took consulting jobs advising how-to pass the inspections done by the remaining part time staff.

WSDA did better and kept the traditional staffing model.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It seems like a lot of this anti-Swift thing is coming from Trump specifically. He's just Big Mad that she is way more popular than him.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

DV,

It’s not FDA but what I saw at USDA FGIS was a progression from full time folks to contracted part time managed by full time. Then the full time folks retired and took consulting jobs advising how-to pass the inspections done by the remaining part time staff.

CBER and CDER at least are still mostly full time staff from what I've heard at conferences and such. I don't know much about any of the other departments as I'm in biotech, not actually at the FDA.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

DV,

This is the practice to varying degrees in places all over the federal government because the agencies aren't adequately funded. Or in some cases the retirees are hired back by the government as contractors on reduced hours. It's just another form of the desperate triaging going on (and the administrative and procedural dysfunction introduced over multiple generations of such dysfunction). This is, however, part of what makes the IRS changes so important; they're in some respects a prerequisite to a lot of other potential fixes.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 2, 2024

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Federal hiring and funding is, to put it lightly, hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
https://abcnews.go.com/US/special-counsel-questioned-witnesses-2-rooms-fbi-search/story?id=106826552

quote:

As investigators would later learn, Trump allegedly had the closet's lock changed while his attorney was in Mar-a-Lago's basement, searching for classified documents in a storage room that he was told would have all such documents.

This poo poo right here is why people are absolutely loving right when they talk about a two track justice system. Classified documents that would put a normal person in jail so fast it would violate the linear nature of causality, for so long they would be able to describe the heat death of the universe but well it's behind a locked door. Can't do anything inconsiderate here this is Trump you see.

Hey later tonight the boys and I are going on a call for someone with one too many pot plants in their attic though. Jake's bringing the battering ram for the front door, I have flashbangs for the crib. There's a few more things, you want to hold the children at rifle point or kill the dog? Your choice really.