Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Main was not reefed, captain likes to always leave it up despite the fact that it makes us weather vane like crazy.

Yeah it was the external fuel filter, it has a clear bowl on the bottom with a valve, drained out almost 8 oz of water, currently motoring up the Houston ship channel En route to home port

We would have gone in to port but Galveston island is basically a40 mile sand bar with only one port, on the north end, and the next port south (freeport) is another 40 miles further south. The ICW is a poorly lit swamp that I've only been in once.

Diesel is a replacement Perkins 3 cylinder diesel, original was a Volvo penta

Main tore on the trailing edge, just below the reefing point, first a 3" tear, managed to blow the main sheet a few seconds later, but by the time we could clip in to go forward of the winches/cockpit it tore in a clean straight line forward to the mast.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Well I made the ~8 mile sail to my haul out location yesterday. On the one hand the weather was nice (though wind was light) but on the other hand that makes it sad to be hauling out. In years past I've done this sail in rain and snow, which leaves me with few regrets.

This is where I left her to be hauled by the boat yard. The lighting was really neat as I rowed away (and I love pictures of the boat because they hide all the blemishes).

This years off season potential list of projects:
-New portlights (this would be the big one)
-Interior woodwork (remake chart table, remake a floor panel from teak and holly plywood, redo the companionway steps, perhaps a teak battery box)
-Exterior woodwork - I may remove the hatch base, the rudder, the the rub-rails
-New engine panel (I want to redesign it from scratch)
-Remove the bow rail and forward cleat (the last remaining deck hardware I haven't removed and resealed)

Who knows which of these I'll get too but those are some of the goals.

djent
Nov 28, 2013

It's metal to like clowns
She's a beautiful boat

Mine's coming out next week, the last race of the year is this saturday.

Have you removed the rub rails to varnish them in the past? I've got a mahogany toe rail around the whole boat and it's a bitch to sand down and varnish in place. I'm afraid to open the can of worms that comes with taking them off.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

djent posted:

She's a beautiful boat

Mine's coming out next week, the last race of the year is this saturday.

Have you removed the rub rails to varnish them in the past? I've got a mahogany toe rail around the whole boat and it's a bitch to sand down and varnish in place. I'm afraid to open the can of worms that comes with taking them off.

So the rubrails no. They are painted - they could benefit from a refinish but that's pretty low on the list. But the toe rail, hand rails and trim at the bow I've varnished in place. It's not too bad if you use masking tape though the places where the varnish spilled are still visible. I used Cetol specifically which I recommend.

I suggest trying a heat gun. My finish peels right off with a heat gun and scraper which is faster than sanding (and doesn't wear down the wood). I agree taking them off would be a ton of work although it depends somewhat on how they are fastened. But things on an old boat don't go as planned and if you break something getting them off then that's more work.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I just put an offer on a 1980 36' Hunter - and it was accepted! Organising the surveys this week and got my fingers crossed that it all checks out

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Alctel posted:

I just put an offer on a 1980 36' Hunter - and it was accepted! Organising the surveys this week and got my fingers crossed that it all checks out

Awesome. Report back after the survey. Also, they're sure to find something (unless it's really mint), so start imagining how you'll respond. Deck moisture/keel issues are a big thing.

Have you owned a boat before?

Has it been repowered or is it still on the original engine?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

asdf32 posted:

Awesome. Report back after the survey. Also, they're sure to find something (unless it's really mint), so start imagining how you'll respond. Deck moisture/keel issues are a big thing.

Have you owned a boat before?

Has it been repowered or is it still on the original engine?

Original engine and no, first boat. I have a copy of 'this old boat' and I paid a pretty good price for it, so I'm prepared to have to do some work on it.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Alctel posted:

Original engine and no, first boat. I have a copy of 'this old boat' and I paid a pretty good price for it, so I'm prepared to have to do some work on it.

Good luck. Owning an old boat is a pretty bad decision. But as bad decisions go it's a decent one.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Alctel posted:

I'm prepared to have to do some work on it.

Famous last words. This is a 35 year old french electrical system we ended up rewiring from scratch (these are the before pictures)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I guess my best advice is

1) collect all the metal bits inside the cabin, but them in a box, the previous owner kept them in case they ever had money to replace them, you will need these to measure/find replacements for some day

1a) get the stereo working ASAP, wrenching on boats is 100% more pleasurable with tunes, and it's an easy project. A 12v car stero can be had for about $30 at walmart.

2) collect all the weird cleaning/lubricating chemicals, these may come in handy some day

3) throw out anything weird, clean the inside once, then work on the engine until it's reliable

4) spend the rest of your time sailing it, you can worry about the interior later, if ever*

5) post pictures(!)

*I've seen far, far too many projects where people gut the interior while it's still on the trailer, thinking they will remodel, then give up halfway through because it's a huge pain remove the interior. The deck is installed after the interior is finished out at the factory. Don't attempt a remodel.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Thanks!

It was actually pretty clean and nice inside already and everything seemed to work, I guess I just wait for the survey (that is on Friday).

I plan to move onto it in a few months, so I'm going to rip out all the wiring and redo it, and start adding solar panels, and change the head to a Natures Head (or air head) since they seem a ton cleaner and easier (and less smelly).

Apart from redoing all the soft furnishings so it no longer looks like a 70's swingers party on the inside I probably won't touch much of the interior. My biggest worry is that the deck core may be sodden and that may be a dealbreaker.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I just found out my grandfather might be leaving his boat to me. He's apparently tried to give it to everyone else in the family, and no one wants it. She's a Herreshoff Rozinante, though not the one pictured there. I love the boat, but the cost of maintaining a 50 year old wooden boat would ruin me. I'd be happy though, right? ...right?

Oh god I'm going to have to sell my kidneys. :(

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

you ate my cat posted:

the cost of maintaining a 50 year old wooden boat would ruin me. I'd be happy though, right?

No. No, you wouldn't be.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

you ate my cat posted:

I just found out my grandfather might be leaving his boat to me. He's apparently tried to give it to everyone else in the family, and no one wants it. She's a Herreshoff Rozinante, though not the one pictured there. I love the boat, but the cost of maintaining a 50 year old wooden boat would ruin me. I'd be happy though, right? ...right?

I know what kind of boat I need to buy now. I just need to actually be able to buy it and maintain it...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sanding varnish is a punishment worse than death. There's a reason why every boat in the marina leaves their peeling teak until it all comes off.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Sanding varnish is a punishment worse than death. There's a reason why every boat in the marina leaves their peeling teak until it all comes off.

Sanding varnish is awful. I need to refinish the mast and boom on our runabout next time I'm in Maine for vacation, and I'm thinking I might just kill myself instead.

Zypher posted:

No. No, you wouldn't be.

Yeah, you're totally right. My mother and I are trying to figure out how serious the offer is and probe for numbers. We're pretty sure it costs somewhere around $12,000/yr just to keep the boat in the water, and that's only because we get storage for free and a family-friend discount on all the work. Don't own wooden boats, folks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well if it was in prime A or B+ condition and you let it rot gracefully, you could probably get 4-10 years out of it without any maintenance, depending on how harsh the winters are and what kind of storage conditions.

$12k sounds a little high, I was talking to the owner of a Tartan 10 (10m fiberglass racer cruiser from the early 1970s) and it cost him about $10,000 all told a year including winter (outdoor) storage and haul-out. In downtown chicago.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

you ate my cat posted:

What shape is it in now? People say (maybe its a lie they tell themselves), that a wooden boat in good shape isn't much worse than a fiberglass boat. The problem is that they go to crap much quicker with neglect. That's a work of art though.

$12k? My fixed costs are $4k for my 26' (and that looks about the same) and I'm in a major city.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Hi, sailboat thread!

I'm superducky and I'm insane. I live on Lake Lanier, north of Atlanta, which is always in the running for best inland sailing in the southeast.

I was introduced to sailing when I was about twelve years old through friends whose parents had gotten them into it. Through their generosity and patience, I've learned a lot, gotten injured countless times, been winched up masts more than I care to remember, probably gotten mesothelioma nine times from all the bottom jobs I've done, won more than my share of races, gone on crazy offshore adventures, become one of those assholes who won't drink anything less than Mount Gay Extra Old Rum and have had an absolute blast doing it.

While I personally love cruising by myself, or taking a few friends out, I cut my chops crewing on raceboats like Thistles and J24s.

My current project is a Columbia 26 mk II of the dreaded free sailboat class.

Some buddies of mine and I heard through the grapevine this summer that someone at a local marina wanted to get rid of a boat for free. We went over, took a look at it and since it had a solid deck, some sails and a dry bilge, towed it across the channel with a whaler posthaste and got to work. I'm trying to find pictures from this era but a phone that went in the drink means most of them are probably gone.

I set to work completely redoing the 12volt system as we discovered soon after we signed the bill of sale the boat had sunk in its slip at some point. Its now ready to go with a group 31 deep cycle, fresh fixtures and wiring, 11gph Rule bilge pump, control panel, 2 watt solar panel trickle charger, amp, head unit and speakers.

At over 6000 pounds, she's not going anywhere fast but she has a comfortable cabin and roomy foredeck for less than experienced people to hang out on. In short: a cruiser. We'll leave buying the expensive raceboats to the old guys at the sailing club who let us go out on them for free in exchange for pulling on their sheets.

That doesn't mean we're not improving it, though. Being from the mid 70s, it suffers from well built but woefully uncomplicated syndrome. As rigged when we acquired her, she had main, genoa and :lol: blooper halyards, one Barient mast-mounted halyard winch and two deck mounted genoa sheet winches that tailed off to old-style cleats. Oh yeah, a 2:1 mainsheet and a transom mounted traveler with stoppers thats frozen in place. That's it, no other way to control the sails. Here we are rigging up a boom vang and outhaul. Hopefully it will be more efficient than the required crew member sitting on the boom method. We've already revamped the main with a 8:1 with enough sheet to wing on wing her if necessary and fresh halyards.

The rudder was the worst part of the hull. There was really no way to save it: when we took it off it sank straight to the bottom of the ramp. When I pulled it out of the water to put in the dumpster it crumbled when I tossed it in. A well placed phone call and 90 bucks later, we had a new rudder that still needed glass work but wasn't going to fall off in the first puff.

The window frames are completely hosed and the worst rot in the boat is around them. Here's a picture from around September when we pulled them and attempted to reseal them. Hint: it didn't help at all, we're scrapping the frames and just running well-sealed, oversized plexi bolted to the surrounding glass next summer. We did get 3 bottles of gitrot into the surrounding wood after an acetone bath so hopefully the cancer is stopped.

As it often happens in the sailing world, we blundered into a goldmine via the same person who told us about the free boat in the first place. He told us he had another Columbia 26 that he was about to scrap and that we could have all the hardware we wanted off of it. This boat is a mk. III and had better stanchions with backing plates, cool cam-style genoa blocks, a non gummed-up traveler track, and non-bent jib car tracks. Of course this boat had been sitting under a bunch of Georgia pines for about 5 years so we got the stuff off the boat the easy way: with a circular saw. We then unbolted it all in the basement two nights ago.

In short, its a completely mental, awful, ugly money sink but we love it. Current immediate plans are to find a nice long shaft outboard with an alternator because our mooring generally has wind blowing in, making it difficult to sail in and out and complicates docking. Hopefully in the spring we can pull it and get a bottom on her in time for summer and try and get some of the latex topside paint the idiot PO put on it off. We also need to find the time to test all these sails we picked up for $200. But we need to find a spin pole with a 9.5-10 J in order to fly spinnakers first, though.

Oh, yeah, remember when I said that the boat was overbuilt? Well, in exchange for the free hardware, the guy who had the boat wanted us to help him take the carcass to the landfill. The results were...impressive.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=244547785710776 (From facebook, obviously, let me know if you can't access and I'll upload to youtube.)
By an order of magnitude, this was the least violent thrust of getting it onto the trailer. The transom only had surface cracks after doing this about 8 times.
https://plus.google.com/photos/101408850234678122165/albums/5960313351907631985/5960313359637153170

Feel free to ask me any questions. I think I'm more racing oriented than most others in this thread but a boat is a boat and I'm just glad when people can enjoy the freedom that is wind power. Carry on!
(Pictured: a friend's one-off Lager 44, about the biggest thing that's practical on this lake.)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It's been stupidly nice here lately, so I'm thinking about replacing some of the rigging lines on my little O'Day Widgeon and taking her out for a spin. The lines aren't bad, but I'm getting suspicious that they might go out soon since the boat has been outside in the rain and sun for who knows how many years, and I really don't feel like dealing with busted lines while I have it down in the intracoastal waterway, next year.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

It's been stupidly nice here lately, so I'm thinking about replacing some of the rigging lines on my little O'Day Widgeon and taking her out for a spin. The lines aren't bad, but I'm getting suspicious that they might go out soon since the boat has been outside in the rain and sun for who knows how many years, and I really don't feel like dealing with busted lines while I have it down in the intracoastal waterway, next year.

A couple summers ago I broke a clue line in the middle of a harbor in a stiff wind while sailing a turnabout. All I had was a paddle, and I was being blown out to sea faster than I could paddle back.

Check your lines, people.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

So the survey showed no major issues, and I'm now the owner of a 1980 36' hunter sloop!

chemical_combat
Aug 21, 2003

Tell me your wish -- Take me to the moon!
congratulations / condolences

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Moving the boat to the haulout location on Sunday - then I can start work on it!

Again, I've got to say how drat good a book 'This Old Boat' is.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Requesting haul out pictures

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

SuperDucky posted:

Feel free to ask me any questions. I think I'm more racing oriented than most others in this thread but a boat is a boat and I'm just glad when people can enjoy the freedom that is wind power. Carry on!

I race J/27s on the Delaware River in Philly.

This is our club
http://www.libertysailing.org

I've been sailing with them for 3 years and been a skipper for two (I'm the junior skipper on our boat, we take turns at the helm and when I'm not steering I'm usually trimming the main sail.) The club also does evening cruises on the river and organizes bareboat charters in Chesapeake Bay in the Spring and Fall. I absolutely love it.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Hadlock posted:

Requesting haul out pictures

I stuck a bunch more on my blog at https://www.tuglife.ca

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Blackjack2000 posted:

This is our club

I've been sailing with them for 3 years and been a skipper for two (I'm the junior skipper on our boat, we take turns at the helm and when I'm not steering I'm usually trimming the main sail.) The club also does evening cruises on the river and organizes bareboat charters in Chesapeake Bay in the Spring and Fall. I absolutely love it.

I've wanted to sail a 27 forever, everyone says what great boats they are but I don't even think there are any left on the lake. :ghost:

I typed that before I went and looked at your website. A fleet of club owned J27s? :drat:

Anywho, I got to match race Flying Tiger 10 meters this weekend. Asymmetrical spinnaker boats are awesome.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

SuperDucky posted:

I've wanted to sail a 27 forever, everyone says what great boats they are but I don't even think there are any left on the lake. :ghost:

I typed that before I went and looked at your website. A fleet of club owned J27s? :drat:

Anywho, I got to match race Flying Tiger 10 meters this weekend. Asymmetrical spinnaker boats are awesome.

I like the 27s, but they're very old. We do a lot of work on those boats. It's cured me of wanting my own.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just a small informal poll:

How do you guys feel about renaming a boat once she's been christened? Do you buy into the mythology or are you a "gently caress it, I paid ten grand I'mma call it the Cockboat if I want to!" kinda person? :haw:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Martytoof posted:

How do you guys feel about renaming a boat once she's been christened? Do you buy into the mythology or are you a "gently caress it, I paid ten grand I'mma call it the Cockboat if I want to!" kinda person? :haw:

I thought about it a lot but renaming didn't seem right. The boat is older than me. Depends on the name though. If it was bad enough it's a different story.

Though I decided that if I did rename there would be none of that ceremony junk and no breaking a good bottle of booze.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The good solution to that problem is don't buy a boat with a bad name. Bad owners give bad boats bad names, and take bad care of them.

In contrast I helped my buddy find his boat, ended up with one named Tango :3:

Windchime is a great name for a boat.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah I didn't mean to imply that Windchime is a bad name or anything, it's just something I've been pondering for a while. I'm pretty obsessive about my stuff an I love everything to be just so, so I know I'd be a "goddamn Neptune, help a brotha out!" kinda guy if I bought a boat with a name I didn't just love :q:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Blackjack2000 posted:

This is our club

Oh hey, I thought about looking into your club, but I'm about an hour away and I wasn't sure if it would be worth it. I go back and forth on whether I actually want to own a boat. I want to take ASA 101 and 103, but I'm not sure it's worth it if I don't have a boat.

How often would you say you sail with them? Are they friendly to newcomers? When you say they organize bareboat charters, does that mean, hypothetically after a year or two and with the right certifications, I could sign out a boat for me and the girlfriend/friends to cruise around on?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Martytoof posted:

I'm going to leave the name despite not being 100% sold on it - it's had the same name for 33 years and changing it seems to be asking for it. And it could be oh so much worse (goddamn there are some terrible names around)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Alctel posted:

(goddamn there are some terrible names around)

A gradeschool friend of mine's parents owned a boat. They were both not-quite-bankers who did some kind of credit/risk/finance thing or other.

The boat was called the "Loan Arranger"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A popular name I've seen was "Overdraft" which works on a couple levels

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Erwin posted:

Oh hey, I thought about looking into your club, but I'm about an hour away and I wasn't sure if it would be worth it. I go back and forth on whether I actually want to own a boat. I want to take ASA 101 and 103, but I'm not sure it's worth it if I don't have a boat.

How often would you say you sail with them? Are they friendly to newcomers? When you say they organize bareboat charters, does that mean, hypothetically after a year or two and with the right certifications, I could sign out a boat for me and the girlfriend/friends to cruise around on?

Most of the people that take the 101 and 103 courses don't have boats, I never took them though, the nice thing about the club is there are a bunch of old timers that just love to teach out on the water, I learned so quickly from them that I never really needed a formal course.

From April to October I sail two or three times a week (I live about 45 minutes away myself). They love new sailors, it's really an easy going group, in fact, it's the biggest reason I stay with the club, I've made so many friends there.

For the bareboat charters, it's sort of an informal thing, people that are interested in cruising for a weekend will get together and split the cost of a charter in Chesapeake Bay. Usually two or three boats will go out, sail around the bay, eat food, drink beer, drop anchor for the night, and sail home in the morning.

Anyway, the website lists some open house dates. I think the first one is in March. Just show up, they'll feed you and take you on a sail. Free.

chemical_combat
Aug 21, 2003

Tell me your wish -- Take me to the moon!
If the name is shite just change it, however Windchime is pretty decent and easy to report over VHF and have people understand you.

Superstition is just that, you got a hunk of fibreglass, metal, glass, plastic and rubber, any soul you are projecting onto this man made object is purely from your own minds eye. I think a lot of it has to do with the god fearing people of old and their lore, and some has to do with the fact that if you sand down to rename your boat a bunch of time you are thinning out the building material.

I'll be checking in on your blog to see what's up with your boat, hopefully you don't need to call in to comox any time in the future. The Hunter 285 from that same broker had a espar forced air heater on it, bet you wish you had that boat during the blizzard. Anyways nice boat and congratulations, the 'snakeskin' cushions are awesome and classy. Any plans for dodger/cockpit enclosure?

chemical_combat fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The smoke alarm went off on my boat the other day. Since it lives above the electrical panel, I opened it up to have a look.

Not good. The previous owner cut the AC neutral wire when he wired up the breaker for the water heater, and then he just twisted the two ends together and taped them. This was crumbling and burning (I didn't snap a pic of that) and causing the wires to burn at the AC main breaker as well. The water heater wires were attached to the hot side of the AC main breaker, so neither breaker tripped. Rather, the AC main breaker was being melted. Awesome.

The wiring on this boat is lovely anyway.

So my latest project has been to rewire it. I ran all new AC wiring, and moved the AC panels to the galley. The water heater breaker was already there, and since I used a fancy ELCI main breaker (which is supposed to be within 10' of the shore power inlet) I put it all there.

I also started on fixing the DC wiring by replacing the old panels.

That's also a new battery selector switch (the old one had a cracked housing somehow), new bilge pump switch, and new 12V outlets (one is USB ports). I need to put some teak oil on the new board, hopefully it will darken enough that I don't have to stain it. The rest of the wood in this boat is pretty dark. Next, I get to run new wires throughout the boat!

Big Taint fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 17, 2014

• Locked thread