Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Siivola posted:

Don't worry, Reisen doesn't believe in enlightenment through contemplation and riddles.

She believes in enlightenment through FIST.

Lion tat does not add ranks, it is like Crafty - you use the better of the two if you already have the skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Eeeh, really? That's five kinds of useless. Guess I'll go with Wind and fiddle around with the points, then.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 20, 2013

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Overhead, in Courtesy, you seem to be rolling 9k9 to resist my temptation attempt. Shouldn't it be 6k3? (Etiquette 3 +Willpower 2)k Willpower 2 + 1k1 for a void point? Or am I missing something?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
My grandfather passed away yesterday, for those of you not on IRC to be aware of this.

Posting may be intermittent.

Overhead, answer Epicurius.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Edited my sheet on the previous page a tiny bit.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Soooooo who here likes hookers and opium?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Who doesn't?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Epicurius posted:

Overhead, in Courtesy, you seem to be rolling 9k9 to resist my temptation attempt. Shouldn't it be 6k3? (Etiquette 3 +Willpower 2)k Willpower 2 + 1k1 for a void point? Or am I missing something?

Sorted this out with Ridley after the second roll attempt and you're right.

Etiquette is listed as being an Awareness trait so that's what I used. I didn't know Etiquette doesn't use the normal dicepool when it's vs Temptation.

With the void I spent, the dice pool on those Etiquette/Awareness rolls was 9k6. Although it then looks like I didn't drop dice, they were dropped but for Temptation rolls you add your honour as a static bonus which made up the difference. It was basically right except for not having read what your skill did and assuming it was just a standard social defence (Though after re-adding it, it looks like although my second roll was fine my first roll should have been 50 instead of 52).

Anyway, I'm afraid I'll be pulling out of Justice and Courtesy.

My posting in Justice has been anaemic for the last week or two, I'm messing up rolls in Courtesy as well as not always having time to do the intensive posts Courtesy demands (like I was planning to have Katanobu tell a story after he asked if Tashimi likes them but just couldn't put the time in so apssed the buck to Epi), my workload is ramping up and when it comes back down it's my Birthday in mid-June so I'm not sure how much free time I'll have then either.

I'm going to hang on to Phoenix-game and Infra because they update with a calmer schedule and don't require the effort-posts that Courtesy does.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
With that said, Courtesy now needs an aggressive Crane courtier. Still have a spot in Honor, and in Duty--want some more apps in for those, ideally. And Name's expanded recruit closes tomorrow.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Hey if anyone has PMed me recently I accidentally deleted all of my PMs. So if you need something and I haven't responded yet, please send it to me again.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Sorry Ridley; my aggressive Crane courtier just got snatched up by Winson, otherwise I might have gone for Courtesy.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
He could be in both places. Bifurcating parallel worlds!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

For Courtesy!

Asahina Hiroshi

Since the coup that placed Shoju I on the throne, the Crane have suffered. Humiliated politically, forced to serve at the Wall alongside Crab and Lion, much of their power used up. But even in these times the Left Hand kept some weapons sheathed, hoarded against future need. Asahina Hiroshi is but one of these. Though he lacked the talent for magic many in his family display, Hiroshi displayed great aptitude for courtly matters. Despite his lack of experience he mastered the arts of the Crane quickly. He made appearances at the most prestigious courts, carefully shepherded and watched by superiors. Even in such trials he excelled, as his teachers expected. They kept him close, though. Hiroshi took part just enough to sharpen his skills and to forge a few important connections, to make himself known but not hated. His grace, patience, and serenity are much remarked upon, as is his fragile beauty.

The reason for Hiroshi's success and for his spare use is the same. As a child, Hiroshi suffered an accident, falling from a horse into a rushing river. He nearly drowned, then nearly froze to death, and then was nearly consumed by a terrible fever. For months he hovered on the edge of death, and in truth has never fully recovered. He becomes ill easily, is often in pain, is easily injured. This has taught him great patience, and made him utterly fearless. No discomfort or embarrassment at court can compare to the ones he has suffered already from his own body. Death itself at times would be a relief, and there is little doubt that his will come sooner rather than later. Most likely he will die in bed, but dying in service of his Clan would not take much time from him.

For his part, Hiroshi is at peace with this fate. He survived only because of his Clan's efforts and care. He will do anything for the Crane and cares for nothing but promoting the Clan's interests. This is not purely selflessness - Hiroshi knows that, if he succeeds, his will likely end up as a tale of tragic honor, the sort poets love. Hiroshi's greatest hope is to live that sort of tale, and his greatest fear that some fever would kill him beforehand.

But now the time has come to draw every sword to hand. Some may break in the using, but even a broken sword may well contribute to victory.

pre:
Asahina Hiroshi

Clan: Crane
Family: Asahina
School: Doji Courtier
School Rank: 2
Insight Rank: 2
Insight: 169
Experience: 120/120

Honor: 6.5
Glory: 1
Infamy: 0
Taint: 0

Air: 3
  Reflexes: 3
  Awareness: 4

Earth: 2
  Stamina: 2
  Willpower: 2

Fire: 3
  Agility: 3
  Intelligence: 3

Water: 2
  Strength: 2
  Perception: 2

Void: 2

Initiative: 5k3
Armor TN: 20 (Base 20)

Skills
* Calligraphy 			3	Int		6k3
* Courtier (Manipulation)	5	Awa		9k4
* Etiquette (Courtesy)		5	Awa		9k4
* Perform (Storytelling)	1	Awa		5k4
* Perform (Oratory)		3	Awa		7k4
* Sincerity (Honesty)		5	Awa		9k4
* Tea Ceremony			3	Voi		5k2
Artisan (Origami)		2	Awa		6k4
Artisan (Poetry)		3	Awa		7k4
Games (Go)		 	2	Int		5k3
Games (Shogi)		 	1	Int		4k3
Kyujutsu			1	Ref		4k3
Lore (Heraldry)			2	Int		5k3
Lore (Law)			2	Int		5k3
Lore (Crane)			1	Int		4k3

Courtier 3 - Gain +3 Insight bonus.
Courtier 5 - +1k0 to all Courtier Contested rolls.
Etiquette 3 - Gain +3 Insight bonus.
Etiquette 5 - +1k0 to all Etiquette Contested rolls.
Sincerity 5 - +5 to the total of any Sincerity Contested rolls.

Advantages
Allies (2/3) (Kabuki Theatre Owner)
Balance
Darling of the Court (Otosan Uchi)
Irreproachable

Disadvantages
Bad Health
Fascination (Poetry)
Lame
Phobia (Disease)

Weapons
Yumi - Atk 4k3
	Armor Piercing	3k1	(Ignores Armor TN bonus)
	Flesh Cuttter	4k3	(Double Armor TN bonus; 1/2 range)
	Humming Bulb	2k1	(Makes a loud whistling sound)
	Rope Cutter	3k1	(2 Free Raises for called shots vs objects, 1/2 range)
	Willow Leaf	4k2
	(Large, Strength: 3, Range: 250', Special: +10 TN for atks from horseback)
Wakizashi - Atk 3k3, Dmg 4k2
	(Medium, Samurai, DR: 2k2, Special: Throw up to 20')

Techniques
THE SOUL OF HONOR
Apprentice Doji courtiers are taught to rely on their Honor 
when dealing with others, infusing their every word and gesture
with the power of their purity, and to build networks of allies
by discerning what others need and fulfilling those needs. So
long as you maintain your Honor Rank at 6.0 or better, you gain
a Free Raise on all Courtier, Sincerity, and Etiquette rolls.
Also, by conversing with another person for a few minutes, you
can make a Contested Roll of Courtier (Manipulation)/Awareness
against the target’s Etiquette (Courtesy)/Awareness to learn
whether they are in need of any favors or assistance (such as 
needing travel papers to reach another province, for example).

SPEAKING IN SILENCE
At this Rank the Doji learns Cadence, the art of communicating
through subtle gestures and body language. This gives them a huge
advantage in the courts by allowing them to share information while
their rivals are none the wiser. You can roll Courtier/Intelligence
at TN 15 to communicate simple ideas and instructions (things like
“distract them,” “this favors us,” or “intercept that person”) with
any other Crane who is trained in the Doji Courtier School or who
has at least 5 Ranks in the Courtier skill. More complex ideas can
be conveyed with Raises, although there is an upper limit (set by
the GM) on how complicated Cadence can become. 

Inventory
Extravagant Clothing, Wakizashi, Yumi, Calligraphy Set
Traveling Pack (Chopsticks, fan, ink brush kit, miniature go set,
perfume, personal chop, small hand mirror, spare kimono and sandals,
tea set, walking stick), 10 Koku

Wounds
Healthy (+0)	Nicked (+3)	Grazed (+5)	Hurt (+10)
OOOOO 	 	OO		OO		OO

Injured (+15)	Crippled (+20)	Down (+40)	Out (-)
OO		OO		OO		OO
----------------------------------------------------------------------
And for Honor!

Yoritomo Shou

Yoritomo Shou is a Mantis of the old ways. A sailor, a merchant, a pirate. He'd been successful, and happy to follow Yoritomo himself in his mad desire to make the Mantis a Great Clan. After all, it would never really come off, and in the meantime it made for a good excuse. And, perhaps, on some level Shou liked the idea of being a respected samurai of a powerful family himself. Still, it was as big a shock to him as anyone when the new Scorpion Emperor gave Yoritomo his heart's desire.

At first Shou was proud. For the first time his heritage as a samurai actually mattered to him, and for a while he toed Yoritomo's line. Respectful. But the sandal never really fit Shou. Soon enough he was back to his old tricks, sailing out to gaijin lands when he could and even engaging in the occasional bit of piracy under the guise of protecting the Emperor's interests at sea. And his new status did a good turn in impressing beautiful women, especially the fair daughters of magistrates. After all, he was a samurai of a Great Clan now, who was going to complain? Well, someone did, and it reached Yoritomo's ears. And that's when Shou found out Yoritomo's talk of becoming a great and noble family wasn't just words.

Shou hasn't been cast out of the Clan - not yet anyways. But he's had his ship taken away, and told in no uncertain terms that he has to toe the line from now on. That he needs to wear his swords properly and comport himself honorably. No more acting like an upjumped merchant. And drat well no piracy, no matter what sort of paper armor he'd managed to wrap around himself. Now, Shou can't help but wonder if a different Emperor might make Yoritomo change his tune, start needing men like Shou at his side again. Or that a new Emperor might prefer a different man to lead the newest of the Clans.

Or that's the official tale at least. Though on a personal level Shou is exactly what he seems, his opinions are slightly different than he pretends. He knows he's a rogue and unlikely to change, but hopes for something better for his young sons, currently in the care of his sister as their mother died in childbirth. Shou is happy enough to play himself and keep his Clan informed in secret, ready to be rehabilitated if the ground shifts.

pre:
Clan: Mantis
Family: Yoritomo
School: Yoritomo Bushi
School Rank: 2
Insight: 172
Experience: 115/115

Honor: 3.5
Glory: 1
Infamy: 0
Taint: 0

Air: 2
  Reflexes: 2
  Awareness: 2

Earth: 3
  Stamina: 3
  Willpower: 3

Fire: 3
  Agility: 3
  Intelligence: 3

Water: 3
  Strength: 3
  Perception: 3

Initiative: 4k2
Armor TN: 20 (Base 15, Armor 5, Reduction 3)

Skills
* Commerce 		3	Int		6k3
* Sailing 		3	Agi		6k3
* Jiujutsu		3	Agi		6k3
* Kenjutsu 		1	Agi		4k3
* Defemse 		1	Ref		3k2
* Knives (Kama)		3	Agi		3k3
* Calligraphy 		3	Int		6k3
Athletics		3	Str		6k3
Battle			3	Per		6k3
Courtier		1	Awa		3k2
Divination		2	Int		4k3
Investigation 		3	Per		6k3
Engineering 		1	Int		4k3
Lore (The Sea)		2	Int		4k3
Lore (Heraldry)		3	Int		6k3
Etiquette		3	Awa		5k2
Craft (Shipbuilding)	2	Int		4k3
Hunting			1	Per		4k3
Sincerity 		1	Awa		3k2

Athletics 3 - No impediments on Moderate Terrain and Difficult terrain
only reduces Water ring by 1.
Etiquette 3 - Gain +3 Insight bonus.
Jiujutsu 3 - +1k0 to damage of all unarmed attacks.
Knives 3 - No off-hand penalties using a knife.
Investigation 3 - Second attempt to Search emphasis without TN increases.

Advantages
Blood of Osano-wo
Luck (Rank 2)

Disadvantages
Doubt (Kenjutsu)
Greedy
Lechery

Armor
Light Armor (Bonus to Armor TN: +5, Reduction: 3, Special: +5 to TN of Athletics and Stealth)

Weapons
Kama - Atk 9k3, Dmg 3k2
	(Peasant, Small, DR: 0k2) 
Sai - Atk 9k3, Dmg 4k1, One Free Raise to Disarm Maneuver
	(Small, DR: 1k1) 
Tanto - Atk 9k3, Dmg 4k1
	(Small, DR: 1k1, Special: Throw up to 20')
Katana - Atk 5k3, Dmg 6k2
	(Medium, Samurai, DR: 3k2, Special: May spend one Void Point for +1k1 damage)
Wakizashi - Atk 5k3, Dmg 5k2
	(Medium, Samurai, DR: 2k2, Special: Throw up to 20')

Techniques
THE WAY OF THE MANTIS
Mantis bushi learn to fi ght on the pitching decks of ships 
and to use anything within reach as a weapon. You suffer no 
penalties to movement or attacks for rough or uneven terrain.
You do not lose Glory or Honor when using improvised weapons, 
or weapons with the Peasant keyword, in combat. You suffer no 
penalties for fighting with a Small or Medium weapon in your
off-hand if that weapon has the Peasant keyword. Finally, you
gain a bonus of +1k0 to all attack rolls.

VOICE OF THE STORM
Your wild, unfettered attacks disorient your opponent and opens
holes in his defenses. Every time you hit an opponent in melee,
his Armor TN is reduced by 5. This penalty only ap-plies to your
attacks, and lasts for 2 Rounds. This Technique is cumulative 
(a number of times equal to your School Rank), and the duration
resets with each application.

Inventory
Light Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, 2 Kama, Sai, 6 Tanto
Traveling Pack (Sake cup, ink brush kit, smoking pipe, week's
rations, pillow book. small hand mirror, bottle of sake,
bottle of sochu, grapple hook, rope 50'), 4 Koku

Wounds
Healthy (+0)		Nicked (+3)	Grazed (+5)	Hurt (+10)
OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO	OOOOOO		OOOOOO		OOOOOO

Injured (+15)	Crippled (+20)	Down (+40)	Out (-)
OOOOOO		OOOOOO		OOOOOO		OOOOOO

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 30, 2013

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Oh hey where did this come from?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Gorbash, you're in with both of those. Place yourself in Courtesy, I'll give you an opening in Honor soon.

Tempus, you're in Courtesy with your Lion, too, and in Duty with your Mantis. I'll work with you to work the Mantis in but you can place yourself in Courtesy if you like.

I have a spot open in Justice now, in theory, but I don't think I actively NEED anyone. If people want to throw me some apps that's cool, but there's no deadline and I make no promises on selecting anyone.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Sorry to everyone waiting for posts--I'm still dealing with grief. I will definitely have effortposts in all threads by the weekend, including starting Name and hopefully the recruit for Shourido.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
Ugh. The Royoko Owari campaign pitch makes me really wish I had the L5R 4th Edition core book.

Oh well, I'll definitely be creeping in that thread to see how it goes.

Really impressed with the level of detail that's gone into The Scorpion Emperor, guys. You've all created a very compelling alternate setting for L5R. I'd go so far as to say that if they do an "Imperial Histories 3," Zero Suit Ridley really should pitch it as an alternate setting.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The PDF edition of the core rules should be on sale at DriveThru for just a bit longer, at least? Also, thank you--I've definitely considered that it would be an awesome thing to have happen if the opportunity ever arises...

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Name has gone live, belatedly.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Reposting this for Duty since he's one of the best character ideas i had and don't wanna have him as a wasted app!

pre:
Kitsuki Kanbei

Clan: Dragon
Insight: 153
Experience: 110 (-12-12-12-12-14-5-5-5-5-5-6-5-1-4-4-2=109)

Honor: 5.5
Glory: 3.0
Infamy: 0.0
Taint: 0.0

Air: 3                 Earth: 2
Ref: 3  Awa: 3         Sta: 2   Wil: 2

Fire: 2                Water: 3
Agi: 3    Int: 3       Str: 3   Per: 3

Skill			Rank	Trait	Emphasis         Roll

Courtier		3	Awa	                 6k3
Etiquette		3	Awa	Courtesy         6k3
Investigation		5	Per     Interrogation    8k3
Kenjutsu                4       Agi                      6k3
Defense                 4       Ref                      6k3
Meditation              2       Void                     3k2
Sincerity		3	Awa	                 6k3
Lore: Bushido           3       Int                      6k3
Lore: Law               3       Int                      6k3

Masteries:

Courtier: +3 Insight.
Etiquette: +3 Insight.
Meditation: Successful Meditation roll restores 2 Void Points.
Investigation: +5 On contested rolls, second attempt with the search emphasis may be done 
without increase to the original TN.
Kenjutsu: +1k0 on damage rolls with Swords.

Advantages:

Blissful Bethrotal (3 Points)
Social Position (5 Points) 
Precise Memory (3 Points)

Disadvantages:

True Love (Kitsuki Tsukino) (3 Points)
Dependant (Kitsuki Iori) (5 Points)
Idealistic (2 Points)

Techs: Kitsuki Method
Free Raise for Investigation rolls, add Perception to Armor TN

Wisdom the Wind brings
Enemies wanting do deceive, feint or disarm me must add +5 to TN for each of my Investigator Ranks.

Outfit: Traditional Clothing, Wakizashi, Knife, Calligraphy Set, Traveling Pack, 5 koku
Traveling Pack: Straw Cloak, Knife, Pipe, Lantern, Coin Purse, Spare Kimono and Sandals,
Personal Seal, Basket, Bottle of Water, Week's Rations.

"I am just a man, traveling with my son. The Dragon lent me to root out those who are threatening the inner peace of the Realm by denying their allegiance to the Emperor. That, and to train my son that is to follow my footsteps. Of course, being away from home for so much time makes one's heart waver. Hopefully I'll be able to go to the capital and visit my wife once my duty here is over. At least it's a good bonding time with Iori-kun, been a while since we both traveled together."

How would others describe your character's appearance?

Intimidating when i wish to be so. An useful ability to have.

What is your character's primary motivation?

Cleave evil, protect the ones i love, make my son a man greater than me.

Who is the person your character trusts most in the world?

My wife, Kitsuki Tsukino. Fate has it that we are separated for the moment, though. Hopefully this will be remedied as soon as this case is over.

What is your character's greatest strength and weakness?

I'm an effective Magistrate. Conspiracies and crimes always found themselves solven before me. And while I do not consider them to be a weakness, my wife and son are the only things i place above all else.

What does your character think of Bushido?

It is the most important law a man like me should follow. Justice must be kept on your heart before you enforce it on the outside.

What is your character's opinion of his clan?

The Dragon needs to take a more active role in the state of affairs in Rokugan. Fighting the evil that lurks on the Empire and rooting it out should be our true role. Hopefully the Emperor will come to see this.

Is your character married?

Yes, and forever glad for it. My beloved wife is, however, representing the Dragon Clan in Otosan Uchi, and her current situation there worries me to no end.

Does your character have any prejudices?

To me, redemption is something hard to achieve. Those who ever aroused my suspicion will continue to do so.

To whom does your character owe the most loyalty?

To the Emerald Champion and the Empire's code of laws.

What are your character's favorite and least favorite things?

Favorite: Spending days with my son and nights with my wife.
Least Favorite: Investigation cases that don't look like they'll go anywhere...

What about your character's emotions?

Those are to be kept from the eyes of outsiders. But inside a mask of detachment, a storm can brew inside a man's heart.

How would your character handle a subordinate's improper behavior?

If it's just lack of Courtesy, then a good yelling would do. If it's a real sin like falling into corruption, then Death is certain.

How religious is your character?

The Kami are in their heaven, yet their will must be enforced on this world. If i am to be one of those to do so, then it shall be.

How will your character die?

Trying to punish the unlawful and fighting for righteousness.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
SHOURIDO NOW RECRUITING

Thread here.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Due to a mix of classes, job hunting and going to Origins, I will likely not be able to post much until after Sunday the 16th.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

If need be I will assume Hai has wandered off on a bender.

On that note, http://tinyurl.com/drugsnkatana

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Expect posts from me tomorrow, both in the game I run and the ones I play in.

It'd be today except that I seriously only got back from Origins yesterday morning and have been catching up on work ever since.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
For anyone wondering where my posts are at: ughhhh migraines are the worst.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Hey Ridley, do we actually know what the name of the play is that we're supposed to be stopping in Duty?

Is it, perchance, "Springtime for Hida"?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Oh you're going to make me come up with NAMES for things now?

Next you'll want things to happen for REASONS.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
All names for all things now somehow have to work in how Shoju is the greatest and totally not unjust.

"Springtime for Hida also Shoju is the best"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Cable box burned out on Friday and ISP doesn't do house repairs on the weekends so I took a little internet vacation, sorry fellas. I'll run back into regular posting by Thursday.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
My life continues to take unexpected and unpleasant turns guys, updating will be a bit sporadic.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
heads up to them as not on IRC: my posting may be slow this week due to moving.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Okay.

Let's talk a bit about the campaign, where we're at with it, what's going on with it, and what I want to get it to in the immediate, near, and distant future.

First:

While early on I had very high posting frequency (as did many of my players) that turned out to be unsustainable, in part due to increasing number of games being run and in part due to a long series of real life issues that continue to plague my existence. At the moment, things have slown down a little more than I'd like, but I hope to have a lot of the issues that I've been dealing with sorted out relatively soon.

The expectation I have is that I'll be able to post no less than once a week, and ideally once every 3-4 days. From what I've seen, that should be a sustainable pace and seems to allow for real life bullshit to occur. In issues where everyone's on the ball, myself included, and we're doing something fast moving, I can get some things (like combat) sorted quicker.

Second:

I never expected this campaign to have the kind of interest that it accrued, and I didn't set out to create something so grand in scale. As a result, a couple of things have happened--one of them being some timeline questions. At one point, I set out to get that all sorted out, and very quickly managed to not provide the details. For those of you who may wonder...

All months in Earth equivalents, mostly to spare myself from having to find where the L5R books got packed in the move to reference the calendar and all of you from having to do something similar to translate it back.

Duty began with a flashback to August of 1132, moving into September for the murder at the Watchpost, then into December for the events at Kyuden Hida, and is currently in late January or early February of 1133.
Honor began around November 1132 with the revelation of the Hantei, moved into mid-December for the exorcism of Morichikai, then into February 1133 for the shenanigans in Kyuden Doji.
Compassion is self-contained and largely around late October 1132, and is into November now.
Courtesy begins in November 1132 and has advanced about a week. It's probably the slowest-paced of the games, but the choices made there affect a lot of the other games!
Justice began in mid-September 1132. It has advanced to late October for the meeting with the Elemental Council and early November for current events.
Courage is in very early 1133--it begins after both the exorcism of Morichikai in Honor and the revelation of the existence of the Shadowlands Hantei in Duty.
Shourido is in early 1133 as well.
Name is in late 1132, actually, beginning before the discovery of the Shadowlands Hantei.

Important events for all campaigns to update from the assumptions in the OP:

- The Dragon have been concealing the existence of the Hantei heir, once Hantei Sotorii, then Mirumoto Kenta, now revealed as Hantei Kenta. Word of the return of the Hantei has begun to spread, slowly.
- Hantei Daigotsu, leader of the Shadowlands, has declared himself the True Emperor of Rokugan. A large number of bushi of the Crab, the Crane, and the Lion have fallen to the Shadowlands Taint and signed on with him, and many Unicorn of the Dark Moto serve as well.
- The Crab Clan Champion, Hida Kisada, as well as his son Hida Yakamo, have been corrupted by the Shadowlands and now serve Hantei Daigotsu. Hida O-Ushi was last seen being slain by Yakamo, though her actual fate is unknown. Hida Tsukune currently leads the Crab on the Wall.
- The Lion and Crane were relieved of their long posting aiding the Crab just before the above events, and have not yet remobilized to help drive back the Shadowlands. However, various circumstances may be leading them to war, including the death of the Lion ambassador to Kyuden Hida at the hands of a Crane, the snubbing of the Lion in an inter-clan meeting partly arranged by a Crane in Otosan Uchi, and general years of bad blood.
- The Crane may further be facing a civil war within the Clan, as the Daidoji are not happy with the way the Clan leadership has been antagonizing the Lion, and indeed feel camaraderie with their former fellows on the Wall. Further complicating this, the Crane claim to have a Hantei heir of their own, though his lineage has not been proven to date, nor has his existence been yet widely publicized.
- A group of Nezumi, searching for a cure to an affliction affecting the young of their species, stumbled across the Tomb of Iuchiban, finding the guardians slaughtered to a man. The significance of their discovery was lost on them, though they informed the Crab when they arrived at the Kaiu Wall. Elsewhere, in the lands of the Phoenix, evidence of the Bloodspeaker cult grows, and a Daimyo's name is given, against his will, to an Oni. Iuchiban may well be a fifth claimant to the Emerald Throne.
- A crop blight has been discovered throughout Rokugan, and while each Clan has kept the information on their food stores secret, there is a definite possibility of famine if the crop of 1133 fails as well.

Bear in mind (of course) that there is no single thread where any character has all of the above information. I present it here to let everyone see the context of what's going on.

So remember how I said when I started I didn't expect this to get the response it did? Yeah. I just came out of running a five year long D&D campaign, and had resolved not to do anything on the same scope again for awhile. Clearly, I had to go bigger.

That having been said, The Scorpion Emperor was not and is not intended to continue indefinitely. This is not a statement that I am ending the game, or any thread within it, simply a heads up that it WILL happen. I'll run each of the games until the story they exist to tell has concluded, and not longer. I am committed to seeing things through to their proper conclusion, in each and every one of my games.

Third:

I'm always open to suggestions and constructive criticism. Several of the games have recently bogged down, and Duty in particular I have spectacularly derailed. The blame is mine for that, and I will correct it. If you have any concerns, please don't hesitate to bring them to me. If you have suggestions, I'm more than willing to work them in, as everyone knows by now. I want everyone to be having a good time.

---

So that is where we currently stand. As for where we're heading, well, as I said I plan to and fully intend to see this campaign through. I know there's been some jawing about Sincerity, but I haven't decided what I want to do with that, and rather than start a thread without a clear idea what the concept is, I'm holding off on doing anything with it for the moment. There's been a few suggestions or ideas as to what it might be--the Kolat, the Crane Hantei, dealing with gaijin--but I haven't settled on any of those.

(As far as the Kolat go, they wouldn't appear in Scorpyverse as they have been presented in the official material, largely because the official Kolat have so many resources that they fail only because it's written that they are the Bad Guys and thus must inevitably lose. Scorpyverse isn't necessarily about Bad Guys Losing, and if I play them straight, they're absolutely resourceful enough and well enough equipped to do anything they drat well please.)

This commitment also applies to my non-L5R games. (Yeah, plural. Even though right now it's just Oneiros, I'm working on a GURPS campaign. And I ordered Edge of the Empire, so something Star Wars may also be in the cards. Yes, I am insane.) I will see this through. You have my word on that.

It is my hope that you're all still with me on this ride.

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 18, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
:thumbsup:

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
A-okay here.

That GURPS thing sounds neato.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I will only be satisfied if you provide delicious Canadian breakfast meats. Then I'll be cool. :colbert:

(Or not, that's fine too. Still on board regardless!)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

I'm still on board for whatever happens, of course.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Checking in!

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
Everything is going fine as far as I am concerned. I have been slacking as well, which I am sorry about, but I figure Hamid is not vocal when talking to his betters because he is a moron who pretty much only knows peasants, horsies and TRUE LOVE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
You keep posting, I'll keep playing.

• Locked thread