Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son

Neo Mara posted:

Good news for you then, theres an iphone app for ogame

I jumped to android last autumn. Can't see one on the play store, oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Neo Mara posted:

Good news for you then, theres an iphone app for ogame

Isn't it only ipad?
I use mercury to play on my iphone, but ugh, messaging people is the worst.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

Oh sorry, I was using it on an ipad, I just assumed it was for both

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Did I miss anyone waiting for a Gtool authorization? There are a couple pending apps right now.

swebonny
Aug 24, 2010
Was a while since I played this game. Joining RIGHT NOW!

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

swebonny posted:

Was a while since I played this game. Joining RIGHT NOW!
Approved you on gtool as well. Welcome aboard.

Forgot to post about it but some guy sent three thousand ships at me last night only to recall in the last few seconds when he realized I disposed of my res. Not really sure what he expected when I was online and sitting on 30 cargos. Granted, 2/3 of his fleet were light fighters but it was still ridiculous overkill and a waste of deut.

swebonny
Aug 24, 2010
Thanks!

That reminds me of what ended my OGame "career". This was around 6 years ago on the first universe on the Swedish OGame servers. Things were going quite smoothly, I believe I had a few hundred thousand points(maybe even a million) and was at least withing the top 30 list. First time reaching it actually. So obviously I was turtling as hell on my main planet. But it turns out there will always be a bigger guy out there and BAM I get hit with some missiles and a few thousand ships when I least expect it. Goodbye OGame.

But now I'm back and I won't cry!

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son
Haha so I blind sent in a sc to this guy next door ( it died duh) and get this:

zvonko:

It's on.

Alright mate.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Slay the noobs.

Slay ever noob.

Federal Preserves
Jun 30, 2011

Or is it right?
I started my career on this server doing just that. Eventually, my neighbor turtled in fear and I continued to expand my raiding business, so I outpaced him in pretty much everything. Now, I harvest him for debris at my leisure. So slay every noob, I guess.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I think I'm the loving noob in this scenario because I can't keep from getting my poo poo kicked in on a nightly basis. I have 3 planets in 391, and every night I do my best to spend my res on my home planet, and I ship res from my other to planets to it for "safe keeping" since it is my most heavily defended planet.

I'm building poo poo as fast as I can, but it's always some bandit motherfucker that comes around while I'm sleeping and lays waste to everything. Last night I got hit with 44 loving battleships. I'm building them as fast as I can but I only had 7 in orbit on my home planet which obviously didn't do poo poo.

How do I not get pillaged every night?

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Don't have ships on your planet while you're sleeping.

Build several cargo per planet.
Before you go to sleep, issue an attack to an inactive with every single thing on that planet, loading their cargo w/ all your resources.
Set it to 20% speed or some poo poo, so it will return by the time you wake up.

Also, say their name. I'll take a look at them. The rank 300 bandit guy, right?

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

James Totes posted:

Don't have ships on your planet while you're sleeping.

Build several cargo per planet.
Before you go to sleep, issue an attack to an inactive with every single thing on that planet, loading their cargo w/ all your resources.
Set it to 20% speed or some poo poo, so it will return by the time you wake up.

Also, say their name. I'll take a look at them. The rank 300 bandit guy, right?

Yeah it's i3u at 1:385:7

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Yeah, as James is saying never leave your fleets unattended on your planets as they are just large juicy targets for raiders.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
If the fleet is carrying deut can I change the speed mid-flight?

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011

Target Practice posted:

No.

You can recall a fleet at any time, though.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Target Practice posted:

I would love to have the option for this.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

So I'm thinking I'll make my next planet near you guys for ACS. I'm wondering if I should take slot 15 for the extra duet for ship movement. Thoughts?

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Almost never worth it.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

okay thanks. Are 7-9 always the best to shoot for?

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Yes, because they just allow you to have more poo poo on them, 8 being the best.

The difference of deuterium produced doesn't matter until very high mine levels, and at that point the 15 planet loses out because it needs a ton of terraformers to get that high.

DarkenCecil
Mar 25, 2010
Hey just signed up for gtools. SmithWeston
:)

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

DarkenCecil posted:

Hey just signed up for gtools. SmithWeston
:)

You're all setup man. Don't forget to jump in the IRC room and say hi!

DarkenCecil
Mar 25, 2010

Gunktacular posted:

You're all setup man. Don't forget to jump in the IRC room and say hi!

Cool man, got it installed. Chat is blocked at my work so unfortunately I won't be able to hop in there.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
You guys play OGame? I wasted a lot of time playing on the German servers. Man, SA is everywhere it seems.

But I'm fed up with playing alone, so I applied to the alliance and to GTool. SkyNet is my name ingame.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

Libluini posted:

You guys play OGame? I wasted a lot of time playing on the German servers. Man, SA is everywhere it seems.

But I'm fed up with playing alone, so I applied to the alliance and to GTool. SkyNet is my name ingame.
Approved, welcome. Always good to have experienced players.

swebonny
Aug 24, 2010
Hey guys, what do you think is a good fleet composition? A bunch of light fighters, followed by heavy fighters and a bunch of battleships?
I've never really understood the mechanics behind how combat works.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Lightfighters exist to die instead of better, more important ships.

Heavy Fighters are mostly trash unless you have a super obscure situation where you both need fodder and the enemy has a million cruisers.

Cruisers kill Light Fighters.

Battleships are Light Fighters but upscaled. Their purpose is the same.

Battlecruiseres kill Cruisers and Battleships.

Destroyers kill Battlecruisers.

Deathstars kill anything they can reach (but can't reach anything).

Ideally, you get a strong core of Battleships/Battlecruisers/Destroyers. Whichever is easier for you to afford, with Destroyers being best and BC being worst to amass.

Then you need to protect these ships, so you build a fuckton of Lightfighters.

If you are expecting to bonk into someone who also has a fuckton of Lightfighters, you build a fuckton of cruisers.

You have made a fleet.

Let me put it this way:

A destroyer is twice as strong as a battlecruiser, and fires twice against it.

A battlecruiser is as strong as a Battleship, but fires 7 times against it.

A battlecruiser is twice as strong as a cruiser, and fires 4 times against it.

A battleships is twice as strong as a cruiser, but gets no extra shots against anything.

A cruiser is 8 times as strong as a Lightfighter, and gets 5 shots against it.

James Totes fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 5, 2014

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
To add on to this Destroyers are the best fire power wise, but you have to take into account speed. They're slow as all hell so if you're trying to do faster hits they just don't work. Lots of fleeters prefer a BC/BS mix for how fast and effective the combo is.

Don't forget about fodder either! Mass light fighters can help out a fleet surprisingly well.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

In game announcement, figured I would cross post to here too.

Player gunktacular tells you the following:
Reminder from Goon High Command:

All alliance communications take place in the IRC chatroom.
1.Get online
1.a Point your favorite IRC client to monster.va.us.synirc.net OR
1.b http://cgiirc.synirc.net/ click here
2. Join the room #ogame
3. Talk to other GOONS

Seriously, its really easy to just leave it open in the background to keep up with what's happening on the front lines of our efforts. Come join us.

Also, here is the ranking explanations below:
Buttlord: Alliance Officer, talk to these guys if your rank is wrong.
Butt: Full Member of SA and registered on the Galaxy tool
Half a Butt: Member of SA, but not registered on the Galaxy tool
PubButt: Not a member of SA

- Gunktacular

swebonny
Aug 24, 2010
Had no idea, that was really helpful. Thanks for the posts. Better stop building these stupid heavy fighters.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

James Totes posted:

Lightfighters exist to die instead of better, more important ships.

Heavy Fighters are mostly trash unless you have a super obscure situation where you both need fodder and the enemy has a million cruisers.

Cruisers kill Light Fighters.

Battleships are Light Fighters but upscaled. Their purpose is the same.

Battlecruiseres kill Cruisers and Battleships.

Destroyers kill Battlecruisers.

Deathstars kill anything they can reach (but can't reach anything).

Ideally, you get a strong core of Battleships/Battlecruisers/Destroyers. Whichever is easier for you to afford, with Destroyers being best and BC being worst to amass.

Then you need to protect these ships, so you build a fuckton of Lightfighters.

If you are expecting to bonk into someone who also has a fuckton of Lightfighters, you build a fuckton of cruisers.

You have made a fleet.

Let me put it this way:

A destroyer is twice as strong as a battlecruiser, and fires twice against it.

A battlecruiser is as strong as a Battleship, but fires 7 times against it.

A battlecruiser is twice as strong as a cruiser, and fires 4 times against it.

A battleships is twice as strong as a cruiser, but gets no extra shots against anything.

A cruiser is 8 times as strong as a Lightfighter, and gets 5 shots against it.

You forgot bombers. A bomber in Ogame is essentially a battleship specialized to destroy planetary defenses. If that hasn't changed: (I only recently started playing again after a year or so of nothing.)

If a player has a shitload of defenses, counter with a shitload of bombers.

swebonny
Aug 24, 2010
Was a busy day today so didn't manage to check on the game until quite late. To my surprise I see some hostile fleet just 20 minutes away from one of my planets. Promptly built everything I could build and left with all my crap.

Apparently attacker was online and called the fleet back. Interesting that he was brave enough to attack me despite being almost 150 ranks below me and belonging to a smaller alliance

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011

swebonny posted:

Was a busy day today so didn't manage to check on the game until quite late. To my surprise I see some hostile fleet just 20 minutes away from one of my planets. Promptly built everything I could build and left with all my crap.

Apparently attacker was online and called the fleet back. Interesting that he was brave enough to attack me despite being almost 150 ranks below me and belonging to a smaller alliance

Ranking doesn't matter if it nets you a good hit.

swebonny
Aug 24, 2010
God drat it, some other guy from the same alliance just bombed me with 6 missiles and ruined my defenses.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

swebonny posted:

God drat it, some other guy from the same alliance just bombed me with 6 missiles and ruined my defenses.

Antiballistic missiles are great to have to prevent this from happening, they only require level 2 of the missile silo.

DarkenCecil
Mar 25, 2010
Heads up everyone, apparently if someone sends you resources and you don't send it back and notify an admin you can get banned for a week or so. Just happened to my character and it's a bullshit rule that they expect you to already know about.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DarkenCecil posted:

Heads up everyone, apparently if someone sends you resources and you don't send it back and notify an admin you can get banned for a week or so. Just happened to my character and it's a bullshit rule that they expect you to already know about.

Yeah, I forgot how weird OGame can be with it's "Anti-Pushing"-rules. I think the only safe thing to help each other is building the alliance depot, which allows to send a certain amount of deuterium to allied fleets in orbit.

Edit:

Trading is allowed, too. But I've no idea how cases are handled were you "trade" with friends/allies. Could you get banned if you help someone by "trading" 10 deuterium against 200k metal? Maybe. :shrug:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 30, 2014

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

welp

went to bed with -69 HP and defenses

woke up with 1552 HP, a moon, and a lot lighter on res and defenses :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ha! Caught an ACS attack from Ziorrborr from Colony [1:192:4] and Jamie from Min alien [1:195:11] and I am [1:289:7] before it was due to hit. Spent all my resources on more defences, fleetsaved what little was left, shut down all production and let them have it.

Long story short, together, they lost 56 cruisers, 48 battleships and a couple of dozen cargo ships of varying sized and now there's several million in res floating around my planet. Is it wrong to feel so smug?

• Locked thread