Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I like my coffee the way I like my women. Not put through a grinder or thrown into boiling water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

uG posted:

lol if you arent using uppers before work to counteract the downers you took before work

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Facepalm Ranger posted:

It's people who don't drink alcohol without any reasons I don't trust :tinfoil:

I try not to drink alcohol because I have this creeping thought in the back of my mind that I have an Einsteinian brain that I just haven't tapped yet and the alcohol will ruin it before it's potential is unearthed. I figure most people who don't drink alcohol have similar thoughts, or they're just dumb idiots who don't realize balls-to-the-wall vodka nihilism is the only way to live.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

I try not to drink alcohol because I have this creeping thought in the back of my mind that I have an Einsteinian brain that I just haven't tapped yet and the alcohol will ruin it before it's potential is unearthed. I figure most people who don't drink alcohol have similar thoughts, or they're just dumb idiots who don't realize balls-to-the-wall vodka nihilism is the only way to live.

Your good bro go pop some bottles

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I don't drink coffee or tea regularly. I enjoy a cup occasionally though. I am just not a big fan of hot beverages. I like unsweetened iced tea though.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
The highlight of my day today will be going to Starbucks and spending 3 bucks to get coffee from their dumbass clover machine since my french press broke and Starbucks muscled all the good local coffee places out of the neighborhood.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
See, there's two types of people: those who like coffee, and those who don't.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Duck and Cover posted:

I've had Keurig kcups, the best coffee there is and they tasted terrible. Sorry coffee drinkers you have no taste.

lol no way

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Ball Cupper posted:

See, there's two types of people: those who like coffee, and those who don't.

What if you don't like the taste but drink it anyway?

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~

Theparker posted:

What if you don't like the taste but drink it anyway?

That's those who don't.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
I don't even like the taste of coffee but if I can't get going in the morning I'll down a cup. Tea doesn't have even close to the same effect sadly.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lol at non english posters commenting on tea

you literally have no idea what your saying lol

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

the greatest annoyance is "chai"

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Moola posted:

lol at non British posters commenting on tea

ftfy

But I agree - these Americans think Lipton is decent tea and they drink it in weird glass cups or even iced.

Tea should be served with milk in, and sugar if you like (milk, 1 sugar is my tipple). Some but not many drink it black and that is OK.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

:coffee:

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Ewan posted:

ftfy

But I agree - these Americans think Lipton is decent tea and they drink it in weird glass cups or even iced.

Tea should be served with milk in, and sugar if you like (milk, 1 sugar is my tipple). Some but not many drink it black and that is OK.

Funny, I'm literally drinking iced lipton right now.

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

same

Duck and Cover posted:

I've had Keurig kcups, the best coffee there is and they tasted terrible. Sorry coffee drinkers you have no taste.

lol holy poo poo you're a moron

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Ewan posted:

with milk in

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Coffee is disgusting.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Nothing starts the day like pouring a 4loko into a bowl of Cheerios.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ewan posted:

these Americans think Lipton is decent tea and they drink it in weird glass cups or even iced.

loving lmbo

Blue Steel
Aug 19, 2009

GET YOUR BITCH ASS OUT OF E/N AND BACK TO TFLC
my boring middle america distant relatives make a big batch of lipton iced tea at once and dump probably a pound or two of sugar into it

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Blue Steel posted:

my boring middle america distant relatives make a big batch of lipton iced tea at once and dump probably a pound or two of sugar into it

omg LOL

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Blue Steel posted:

I do this, but without the sugar. Like, I know it isn't "good tea" but it covers the poo poo taste of the water here and it's cheap.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
I have a burr grinder and I grind whole bean coffee up and then make it and drink it and its really good.

Idk what Starbucks does to their black coffee but it's loving godawful. If you buy their beans and make it yourself it's perfectly fine so I assume they overheat it or something?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A Stupid Baby posted:

I have a burr grinder and I grind whole bean coffee up and then make it and drink it and its really good.

Idk what Starbucks does to their black coffee but it's loving godawful. If you buy their beans and make it yourself it's perfectly fine so I assume they overheat it or something?

They introduced a light roast that still tastes like the equivalent of a dark roast at a good coffee shop but is a little better than their usual stuff, but they never actually have it brewed so whenever you try to get it they go "Um, sorry that'll be 10 minutes".

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Counter point: I hated the Starbucks light roast they were pushing last summer (Veranda, maybe?)? I thought it had a grassy or maybe a citrus flavor that took the "good" bitterness of coffee and made it too sharp.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
sipping on a nice cup of tea is one of my favorite ways to relax

reagan fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 29, 2014

Blue Steel
Aug 19, 2009

GET YOUR BITCH ASS OUT OF E/N AND BACK TO TFLC

A Stupid Baby posted:

I think most people associate coffee taste with the over extracted burnt mess that is a black cup of starbucks coffee. They've never experienced the majesty of freshly roasted single source beans in a bur grinder brewed with an aeropress

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Ewan posted:

ftfy

what do brits think of Twinings? is it a decent brand?

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Blue Steel posted:

I think most people associate coffee taste with the over extracted burnt mess that is a black cup of starbucks coffee. They've never experienced the majesty of freshly roasted single source beans in a bur grinder brewed with an aeropress

yes, the vast majority of mankind isn't gay as gently caress, big news there

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Weird that this comes up in a GIS for Tracy Morgan

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blue Steel posted:

for example see the guy above complaining about a citrusy taste in his coffee

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Moola posted:

lol at non english posters commenting on tea

I'm drinking a cup of properly prepared Yorkshire tea right now and it tastes like hot water with milk.

Don't get me wrong, it's delicious but only as delicious as hot water with milk can get. Hardly something to get a boner about.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Mulefisk posted:

I'm drinking a cup of properly prepared Yorkshire tea right now and it tastes like hot water with milk.

Don't get me wrong, it's delicious but only as delicious as hot water with milk can get. Hardly something to get a boner about.

How does it feel to have tastebuds that literally don't work?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Mulefisk posted:

You are describing weak tea. This means you (or the person preparing it) did one of the following:
- Used water that was too cool (it needs to have been freshly boiled). This factor has less of an effect than the next few, unless you used massively too cool water.
- Added the tea bag to the water. You need to do it the other way around: pour the water onto the teabag (making sure it actually hits the teabag help too)
- Added the milk too soon. This lowers the temperature, so it doesn't brew properly. The worst case for this is adding the milk before the water, which just results in a cup of slightly brown warm milk (as you describe).
- Took the teabag out too soon. It should sit in there for a few minutes. Anything more than about 3-4 minutes it starts to "stew" and the taste gets worse. You should also stir it a bit, but there's no need to squeeze it or mash it against the edge.

The factors above have a huge effect (temperature of the water is probably the least important, as long as it isn't stupidly cool. Off-boiling water will detract from the taste, but doesn't completely ruin it like the other factors). And yes, some people like weak tea - this is fine, but don't go saying that "tea tastes nothing like hot water and milk" because that is just wrong.

So the steps to get properly brewed tea:
Put teabag in empty mug. Add sugar if desired (when you add the sugar doesn't really matter, but putting it in first guarantees it will dissolve fully)
Fill kettle
Boil kettle
As soon as kettle has boiled (normally signified but it automatically turning off), pour onto teabag - maintain aim to keep the stream on the teabag.
Give a stir
Wait 2 - 3 minuts, stir occasionally.
One final vigorous stir and take teabag out. No need to squeeze it.
Add milk if desired and stir.
Voila! You may need to wait 5 minutes or so for it to be at a drinkable temperature unless you have an asbestos mouth.

Final product should be a malty brown colour.

Tea made in coffee shops is almost always total poo poo as they put the teabag in the water rather than vice versa.

Tea made in teapots is inherently weaker, but some people compensate for this by adding more teabags.

reagan posted:

what do brits think of Twinings? is it a decent brand?
Their "normal" tea is OK, but most people prefer PG Tips, Tetleys or Yorkshire tea. Twinings do a good range of "speciality" teas, though, like Earl Grey, Lady Grey, Lapsang Souchong, etc.

Richardanator
May 8, 2006

Mmmm.....
Decided to toss it up this morning. I normally drink coffee but went with a cup of earl grey instead. I take my tea black because I think of myself as rather hardcore.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

wtsnaename posted:

Kill yourself.

Haverchuck posted:

lol no way

Morkyz posted:

Funny, I'm literally drinking iced lipton right now.

same

lol holy poo poo you're a moron

Wow look at these poors who can't afford a Keurig machine lashing out at their betters. I'm sorry some of us have money and can afford to drink high quality coffee (why would you though it tastes terrible).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How the gently caress do people drink coffee black?

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
lol at grown rear end people who don't drink pee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Ewan posted:

You are describing weak tea. This means you (or the person preparing it) did one of the following:
- Used water that was too cool (it needs to have been freshly boiled). This factor has less of an effect than the next few, unless you used massively too cool water.
- Added the tea bag to the water. You need to do it the other way around: pour the water onto the teabag (making sure it actually hits the teabag help too)
- Added the milk too soon. This lowers the temperature, so it doesn't brew properly. The worst case for this is adding the milk before the water, which just results in a cup of slightly brown warm milk (as you describe).
- Took the teabag out too soon. It should sit in there for a few minutes. Anything more than about 3-4 minutes it starts to "stew" and the taste gets worse. You should also stir it a bit, but there's no need to squeeze it or mash it against the edge.

The factors above have a huge effect (temperature of the water is probably the least important, as long as it isn't stupidly cool. Off-boiling water will detract from the taste, but doesn't completely ruin it like the other factors). And yes, some people like weak tea - this is fine, but don't go saying that "tea tastes nothing like hot water and milk" because that is just wrong.

So the steps to get properly brewed tea:
Put teabag in empty mug. Add sugar if desired (when you add the sugar doesn't really matter, but putting it in first guarantees it will dissolve fully)
Fill kettle
Boil kettle
As soon as kettle has boiled (normally signified but it automatically turning off), pour onto teabag - maintain aim to keep the stream on the teabag.
Give a stir
Wait 2 - 3 minuts, stir occasionally.
One final vigorous stir and take teabag out. No need to squeeze it.
Add milk if desired and stir.
Voila! You may need to wait 5 minutes or so for it to be at a drinkable temperature unless you have an asbestos mouth.

Final product should be a malty brown colour.

Tea made in coffee shops is almost always total poo poo as they put the teabag in the water rather than vice versa.

Tea made in teapots is inherently weaker, but some people compensate for this by adding more teabags.

Their "normal" tea is OK, but most people prefer PG Tips, Tetleys or Yorkshire tea. Twinings do a good range of "speciality" teas, though, like Earl Grey, Lady Grey, Lapsang Souchong, etc.

I take it back. Just for the sake of it I brewed myself an actual cup of hot water with milk next to my tea and let's just say it wasn't very nice. It was foul.

• Locked thread