Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

you know, we're all really doing a disservice to Crypt of the Necrodancer for having not mentioned it yet, it is a fun roguelike in bite-size chunks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
dear imps,
what are some good action roguelikes?

i dont like strategy/turn based games and i dont like ascii :airquote:graphics:airquote:
i like things moving around and me shooting/punching/slashing things in real time

so far i know these games:
binding of isaac (i like)
rogue legacy (i found it ok, but it makes some goons furious (did they pay full price for the game? lol))
spelunky (played the original, didn't care too much for it but some ppl are crazy about the steam version)

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

crypt of the necrodancer is kind of actiony, in that you keep having to move to the beat of the music

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

dear imps,

i dont like strategy/turn based games and i dont like ascii :airquote:graphics:airquote:
i like things moving around and me shooting/punching/slashing things in real time

rogue legacy (i found it ok, but it makes some goons furious (did they pay full price for the game? lol))
spelunky (played the original, didn't care too much for it but some ppl are crazy about the steam version)

risk of rain dude

e: also i guess teleglitch, but it's kinda bad. look for it in a bundle i guess.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

dear imps,

Nuclear Throne

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

dear imps,

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

last time i played crawl i made it to the orb for the first time and died on the orb run. i dont understand what i was supposed to do there i quickly ran out of mana and was heavily contaminated and there was no way to rest up. made me swear off the game for like 6 months now but im feeling that craving again...

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

SeXReX posted:

Nuclear Throne

Chiming in again to hilight the point that you, and everyone, should be playing Nuclear Throne

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

SeXReX posted:

Chiming in again to hilight the point that you, and everyone, should be playing Nuclear Throne

when it shows up in a somewhat decent bundle and/or sale

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Also, lol early acces

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

qnqnx posted:

Also, lol early acces

yeah gently caress those guys for not just shoving it out and instead doing weekly updates. they should have just slapped a 60 dollar price tag on the prototype they made in 3 days

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 27, 2014

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

SeXReX posted:

Nuclear Throne

SeXReX posted:

IAWTP

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Discount Viscount posted:

It's a long as gently caress password so here it goes!

code:
G4S!J 2723 H88PS
0JSJ5 RJJS 13C78
S58P6 43W8 RJVW6
QZ2!4 RNRY PVK00
tia

Holy poo poo I don't think you could have given me a harder seed lol

This'll take a couple of attempts. I'll keep at it. Thanks for giving me an excuse to play this game again, it's too freaking GOOD

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

EightFlyingCars posted:

Holy poo poo I don't think you could have given me a harder seed lol

This'll take a couple of attempts. I'll keep at it. Thanks for giving me an excuse to play this game again, it's too freaking GOOD

Yeah I forget where I was. It's a monster closet isn't it?

Shiren takes a bit to open up but yeah it's compelling. So's Baroque except for the fact that I hit a brick wall in learning anything new and couldn't figure out how to progress things.

I think my favorite part about roguelikes is just throwing poo poo at enemies like an angry child. Just bonking them with useless trash or items with weird effects.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

The secret to continuing in Baroque is to do literally everything. You know how your Collection area or whatever it's called has a section for voice acting lines for the characters? Fill out everything in the collection to win, including hearing every line of voice acting.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

What the gently caress is Baroque

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

a roquelike.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

dear imps,

toe jam an earl

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Discount Viscount posted:

Yeah I forget where I was. It's a monster closet isn't it?

It was! And it was tricky, but I pulled it off:

code:
0N!NR !WV9 RJSSQ
1RM2P CT0G D9HV0
6H!QX Z39F TSHTT
JZ!Z0 RYJ4 HFZ80
I can see why you wouldn't want to lose the sword you had. It got pretty buffed up by the time I was where you were at!

Anyway, good luck! It only gets worse from here!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Thug Lessons posted:

A weirdo Japanese game that keeps getting remade for some reason. Think a Shiren game but as a clunky 3d punchmans game with a hosed up transhumanist story it doesn't want to tell you.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

crypt of the necrodancer is super good + roguelike + on sale atm

Dec 26, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

it's a weird mash of a 3d action game and a roguelike. There are elements like a kind of food clock and randomization but it's real time and there's a story, and you get more details if you die a few times and find stuff

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FTL is really bad, and you're probably kinda dumb if you like it.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

A weirdo Japanese game that keeps getting remade for some reason. Think a Shiren game but as a clunky 3d punchmans game with a hosed up transhumanist story it doesn't want to tell you.

Baroque owns

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

what the gently caress

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dexters Secret posted:

what the gently caress
It's basically a slot machine. Pretty lights and sounds, almost totally random.

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

ftl is ftw

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

01011001 posted:

ftl is ftw
I disagree but I am willing to hear your case.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

01011001 posted:

ftl is ftw

actually

it is ftl

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I disagree but I am willing to hear your case.

the core gameplay is pretty fun and the advanced addon they gave out for free blunted a lot of the more complained about "slot machine" aspects by adding more viable weapons+subsystems and giving most shops double capacity so most of them have a much better chance of having the category of stuff youre looking for. theres still some degree of randomness and it has the "issue" where you do have to fight the flagship at the end of the game, so effectively youre working towards that and you need to maximize sector time for that reason which can rankle people, but you have more flexibility on that front than you might realize at first if you know how to exercise it and what to emphasize

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

yeah there's definitely no strategy or resource management involved, good assessment poster

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

01011001 posted:

the core gameplay is pretty fun and the advanced addon they gave out for free blunted a lot of the more complained about "slot machine" aspects by adding more viable weapons+subsystems and giving most shops double capacity so most of them have a much better chance of having the category of stuff youre looking for. theres still some degree of randomness and it has the "issue" where you do have to fight the flagship at the end of the game, so effectively youre working towards that and you need to maximize sector time for that reason which can rankle people, but you have more flexibility on that front than you might realize at first if you know how to exercise it and what to emphasize
I did not play the advanced version, good to hear it fixed some of the issues. I did enjoy the core gameplay, which is why it was so frustrating that the game felt so random.

Dec 26, 2012

you really should give it a try. i really liked the new subsystems

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

:downsbravo:

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Of course this what inexperienced players say about all these type of games and then it turns out the best players can win almost every time.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

You are really bad at video games and also posting.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"this roguelike has random elements :qq:"
-A Idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

"this roguelikes has random elements :qq:"
-A Idiot
I like roguelikes, I just thought FTL was too random. I will give it another try though, I can admit when I am wrong.

• Locked thread