Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am he

This isn't necessarily directed at you dogcrash but Happy City is a really cool sort of pop-planning book I'd recommend if it's something that interests you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Orthodoxy by G. K. Chesterton - This really clever guy like Oscar Wilde clever, who grew up questioning everything, explains how he went from radical skepticism to Christian faith and he does it with all sorts of clever and witty paradoxes and stuff. He does a great job explaining how rationality by itself is a stupid perfect circle that gets you nowhere except for the loony bin.

Chesterton's crime mysteries are p good.

Scaly Haylie

i think the last book i read was demontech. does anyone know demontech?

Scaly Haylie

i might butcher this but here's the broad strokes: basically it takes place in a fantasy world, and these two warring kingdoms, they each made a pact with demons to try and get the upper hand.

the good guys asked for a great leader and basically got a Marine corporal or whatever from modern day earth, and their army benefits greatly from his knowledge of tactics and all that good stuff, and their army itself becomes really good and solid.

the bad guys asked for knowledge of war, and they got a heap of military weapons manuals, and their wizards go HMM HOW DO THESE WORK and basically make wizard versions of weapons. rifles become demon spitters, tubes with little imps living inside them who spit fire as long as you feed them little nuggets of food. grenades are magically sealed phoenix eggs that, when thrown, allows the phoenix itself to get born and rise up in a huge blaze of fire.

i'd recommend demontech.

3D Megadoodoo

Lizard Wizard posted:

i might butcher this but here's the broad strokes: basically it takes place in a fantasy world, and these two warring kingdoms, they each made a pact with demons to try and get the upper hand.

the good guys asked for a great leader and basically got a Marine corporal or whatever from modern day earth, and their army benefits greatly from his knowledge of tactics and all that good stuff, and their army itself becomes really good and solid.

the bad guys asked for knowledge of war, and they got a heap of military weapons manuals, and their wizards go HMM HOW DO THESE WORK and basically make wizard versions of weapons. rifles become demon spitters, tubes with little imps living inside them who spit fire as long as you feed them little nuggets of food. grenades are magically sealed phoenix eggs that, when thrown, allows the phoenix itself to get born and rise up in a huge blaze of fire.

i'd recommend demontech.

William Shatner's DemonTek

bacalou

dogcrash truther posted:

it should, it's really good. here's an online version of one of her most famous stories (some typos in this version, i think the person typed it up from a book). it's about middle of the pack for her in terms of quality, i think, but it's a good intro:

http://davidlavery.net/Courses/3840/stories/screwfly.html

holyfuck

dogcrash truther

:tipshat: Itd make a pretty good movie, I think, if you could get anyone to make it

a fragile ego

i read things fall apart by chinua achebe. one of tye best books ive ever read, please read it. :keke:

Brexit the Frog

i just finished "Do Not Sell at Any Price," a book about people who collect 78s. it was fun

Bwee

quiltyquilty posted:

i read things fall apart by chinua achebe. one of tye best books ive ever read, please read it. :keke:

this is a REALLY good book but he talks about yams a lot

Bwee
i like house of leaves but only if you completely ignore the johnny truant parts

pogi

Bwee posted:

i like house of leaves but only if you completely ignore the johnny truant parts

He does stuff like HAHAHA I TRICKED YOU I'M SO CLEVER and it annoys the piss out of me.

pogi

I'm going through Alan Moore's Swamp Thing and it's quite good.

a fragile ego

Bwee posted:

this is a REALLY good book but he talks about yams a lot
the entire beginning of the book is important for setting the stage for the ending. by basically being immersed in this culture to an almost obnoxious point you feel way worse at the end

a fragile ego

Bwee posted:

i guess im weird for liking both parts of house of leaves :frogbon:

ulvir

I liked that book too. someone recommend more novels about african culture(s).

edit: things fall apart, that is

a fragile ego

some people argue that Arrow of God is basically a better things fall apart

shabbat goy

ulvir posted:

Twitter Warpath posted:

The Heart of Redness by Zakes Mda was really good

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
I just finished The Cleft and Other Odd Tales by Gahan Wilson (the guy who does cartoons for Playboy and New Yorker magazine), which is a collection of his short stories since the early 60s to the mid 90s. If you like really weird strange stories, it's a quick and fantastic read. Of particular notes is the story known as The Spot (the actual name is just an image of a small blot of ink), "The Sea Was Wet as Wet Could Be", and "Campfire Story". While some of the stories are horror, it's mostly just weird stories and it's really good. I've got a giant, huge collection of Lovecraft stories, and Harlan Ellison stories, neither of which I've dipped into yet, but there's a store a couple blocks away with so many books the shelves are jammed absolutely full to the point there's massive piles of books littering the extremely narrow, maze like aisles. There is just enough room in each aisle for a slim person to scoot by another slim person if both press themselves fully against the racks, and many aisles have dead ends and strange turns. Absolutely nothing is in any real order. I'm thinking of going in and just grabbing a few books (to buy) out of piles and see where they lead.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Brexit the Frog

speaking of weird little stories: i'd recommend The Nimrod Flipout by Etgar Keret, highly

dogcrash truther

ulvir posted:

Say You're One of Them by Umen Akpan is a collection of excellent short stories. It totally wrecked me though because I am a sensitive soul, so don't read it if you don't want to be crushingly sad.

deep dish peat moss

Will someone buy me every book in this thread?

pogi

BYOB is a place for smart people to pretend to be baby idiots, and also a place for legitimate baby idiots.

kidfresca

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

sexual nightmare posted:

BYOB is a place for smart people to pretend to be baby idiots, and also a place for legitimate baby idiots.
http://fi.somethingawful.com/sideimages/r88/128.jpg

2tKfE1REt0A9068nde53LHv0fhBzjzgM

Bwee

Hello friend

ulvir

dogcrash truther posted:

Say You're One of Them by Umen Akpan is a collection of excellent short stories. It totally wrecked me though because I am a sensitive soul, so don't read it if you don't want to be crushingly sad.

both added, thanks.

also I don't mind very sad literature. The Book of Disquiet threw me into a three-day long apathy, but it was still enjoyable in a way.

BIG BIC SQUAD
Right now I'm reading Fatherland by Robert Harris. It's a historical fiction novel that takes place in an alternate timeline where Germany won WWII. I've only read the first 65 pages so I can't make a truly accurate assessment yet but thus far the writing has been absolutely wonderful.

Chef Shimi

hi kid fresca

Commie NedFlanders

The Yellow Wallpaper

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
Love God, Love Thy Neighbor
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

pogi

I'm almost done with trainspotting and I really prefer the books version of Renton to the movie. The movie does an excellent job of portraying what it's like to be a Junkie, but it's a little too sympathetic to Renton. I like that the book more directly shows his insecurities and failures as a human being.

I'm fuckin' all about Spud though.

bacalou

sexual nightmare posted:

I'm almost done with trainspotting and I really prefer the books version of Renton to the movie. The movie does an excellent job of portraying what it's like to be a Junkie, but it's a little too sympathetic to Renton. I like that the book more directly shows his insecurities and failures as a human being.

I'm fuckin' all about Spud though.

the sequel is good too

pogi

I loved that Renton was jealous of Sick Boy's bigger cock. Also when the nasty italian guy cums all over Renton's face while he slept.

bacalou

renton is entirely jealous of sickboy

pogi

bumpin' this thread to thank dogcrashtruther for his book recommendations

dogcrash truther

sexual nightmare posted:

bumpin' this thread to thank dogcrashtruther for his book recommendations

oh yeah? which one did you read?

City of Glompton

Bwee posted:

master and margarita

I enjoyed this enough to reread it

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

H.H

August is the Cruelest Month

vice.com op-ed posted:

soon im going to read today i wrote nothing: the selected works of daniil kharms, apparently its a good collection of his stories. i'm looking forward to it

daniil kharms is a freakin genius. look for his anecdotes. your previous reading of Russian 19-century literature will come in handy.

dogcrash truther

dogcrash truther posted:

pogi

dogcrash truther posted:

None yet, I picked up 10th of December and A frolic of his own from the library though. This thread turned out to be a really good resource for library trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pogi

Iamhe told me to read the image of the city so I'm reading that first though lol

• Locked thread