Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
buh?
kill yourself
kill yourself
View Results

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
OP have you considered the use of a serum that will cause your friend's forearms to grow too long for him to lift the bottle to his mouth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
alcohol addiction is not a real thing because i did the alcohol and did not get the addiction AMA !!!

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Too weird to live, too strange to die

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Lunixnerd posted:

I believe in you DGSW.

*dgsw's "friend"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
son straight, so what

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
My grandmother used to put whiskey in my uncle's bottle when he was a baby. That was apparently good advice on how to deal with a fussy baby in the 1950's.

He's basically dependent on alcohol now (Old Milwaukee lol) and gave up on trying to hold down a job 25+ years ago. Since he's been drunk like every other day since his teens, I kind of wonder how much longer he's got. Pretty much everybody in my family has an addiction and I figure my parents are on the cusp of becoming alcoholics too. I wonder how I managed to sidestep it and drink without it becoming a habit.

As for how to stop being an alcoholic, OP, I would suggest falling down a flight of stairs and breaking your neck on two different occasions. But that doesn't work either lol.

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club
I have one family member who was a severe alcoholic for years and then just stopped one day and has been sober for decades

He claims it was Jesus

:shrug: idk if that's real but I've heard rehab programs talk about addiction as a spiritual problem, which idk if that's real either

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
A lot of rehabs have more classes on mindfulness and just living in the moment and just letting go. Most of AA after the first few steps is a fearless inventory of the hosed up poo poo that you did, and the hosed up poo poo that happened to you. So just stopping drinking puts you as a "dry drunk" or still an "rear end in a top hat" imo.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
One does not simply "stop" (2003 goons will get this)

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

gently caress the ROW posted:

One does not simply "stop" (2003 goons will get this)

OP, have your "friend" drink a little bit of his pee. If it has a sulfur/egg taste, get him to the hospital asap.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Alcoholism is drinking despite mounting consequences, so if you're not in trouble and you can still hold down your job then you're a functional drunk which is very cool.

Alcoholics can't stop because there is no bottom and the sauce is always the boss, no matter how mad the judge gets because you got a 3rd dui.

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

down n out posted:

Alcoholism is drinking despite mounting consequences, so if you're not in trouble and you can still hold down your job then you're a functional drunk which is very cool.

Alcoholics can't stop because there is no bottom and the sauce is always the boss, no matter how mad the judge gets because you got a 3rd dui.

I know I have to stop when my gaming reflexes are hindered

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
If you're k/d is like 0.25 and you keep drinking you better check your rear end into rehab pronto because that is just sad

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
what are you idiots talking about :confused:

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Sayeth unto him "stop it".

If that doesn't work hire top men and put them on the job.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
not a checkbox poll voted 1

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
One word, OP: serums.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Smoke a lot of cigarettes at the coffee house and talk about your recovery constantly with the rest of the unemployed losers. Or Jesus. Find Jesus.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

natetimm posted:

Or Jesus. Find Jesus.

How is becoming a caver going to help me with being an alcoholic? :confused:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Drinking is merely a symptom of your alcoholism, not the main problem. Once you stop drinking you're still essentially a crazy person with an inflated ego/inferiority complex who has difficulty managing his emotions. This is why most people relapse and where 12 step programs come into play, because they help you get rid of your baggage and give you tools to deal with your erratic mood swings. They only work though when the person has given up on self will and is ready to try anything, hence the high relapse rate among people who do them mainly to please a court/friend/family member/other sobriety program.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Your "friend" needs to realise that no one is coming to save them and whether they quit drinking is up to themselves and no one else cares whether they do or don't.

Steps or whatever and treatment beyond medical intervention to stop you from dying of withdrawal are all horseshit and the only person that can stop you drinking is you.

Have fun!

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
1-900-HELPFORSTOPDRINKINGUSANOW

thats

1-900-WECANHELPSTOPDRINKINGUSANOW

call today

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Eat eclairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11TisOHZX9M

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

lol

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The biggest cliche about addiction is coincidentally the biggest truth which is what other people have already said the desire to change and improve has to come 100% from within you. No external force is going to cure you even if youre thrown in jail and cant drink youll still be an addict sorry to say :downs:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

thathonkey posted:

The biggest cliche about addiction is coincidentally the biggest truth which is what other people have already said the desire to change and improve has to come 100% from within you. No external force is going to cure you even if youre thrown in jail and cant drink youll still be an addict sorry to say :downs:

no its more you gotta try and fix what started the reason for the strong abuse, at least it was in my case

if the person sees no oppurtinity for bettering themselves etc. then they will have no desire to want to fix themselves

you can't just say "you have to believe in yourself!" when if they do theyre still stuck on the sidewalk homeless

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Hot Karl Marx posted:

no its more you gotta try and fix what started the reason for the strong abuse, at least it was in my

That uh is what i said? YOU have to be the one to fix it was my point. Like you have to want to get better for purely selfish reasons. You might say youre doing it for family or friends but you have to be doing it gor yourself first and foremost

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

you can't just say "you have to believe in yourself!" when if they do theyre still stuck on the sidewalk homeless

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

like it was the third line of a 3 line post

• Locked thread