Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

med school head posted:

turns out people have built up reasons to dislike the iphone and are willing to keep shelling out money for subpar andriod crap just so they can stick to their convictions

This is funny because you could literally swap all the proper nouns with each other and it'd still make sense

like, the YOSPOS hivemind reponse to Apple killing the headphone jack was literally "if Apple says that's the way it is then that's the way it is, not like I'm gonna buy any other kind of phone lol" as anyone who's paying attention could have predicted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Turns out the Nexus 6p isn't a very good phone either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTIaUH6PIvo

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the YOSPOS hivemind sounds pretty smart

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
How come the pixel doesn't let you use an SD card, I always heard the reason it wasn't a feature on the Nexus was to cut the price but now it costs as much as an iPhone or a Galaxy (which does use SD cards)?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why the hell would they get rid of the dual speakers? Like, what's the rationale behind that? Does it make the phone bad in some way?

They had to make room for the ancient headphone jack

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The same reason every flagship phone doesn't let you use an SD card: people will pay out the rear end for more internal storage that way

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

loquacius posted:

This is funny because you could literally swap all the proper nouns with each other and it'd still make sense

like, the YOSPOS hivemind reponse to Apple killing the headphone jack was literally "if Apple says that's the way it is then that's the way it is, not like I'm gonna buy any other kind of phone lol" as anyone who's paying attention could have predicted

yes i suppose you could do wait nope

i mean with the exception of the bendy iphone, apple still has a pretty good track record of making phones that are designed well, built well, and function well day-to-day for the past 6+ years now? android is still a mixed bag of compromises, bad design, and buggy software that has been modified by the manufacturer, the carrier, the user (in some aspects). why is wanting a good phone despite the lack of headphone port a bad thing in your eyes? because if im honest i still take a iphone without an headphone port over an android easily

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
gently caress if nothing else you got to at least give props to the architecture team behind the A series of socs i mean nothing else on the market comes close

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm not an Android fanboy (for context, the only mobile platform I was ever a fanboy of was WP and I abandoned the poo poo out of them because I'm not stupid) but you can find at least one pretty good phone at any given time, and if you don't like what a manufacturer is doing with a phone, guess what, you can pick a different one

If Apple does something you don't approve of you just shrug your shoulders and continue shoveling your money into them because momentum will not allow for any other course of action

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I had an Apple 5S and it was pretty good. Now I have a Nexus 6P and it's also pretty good. Most smart phones are pretty good.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

loquacius posted:

I'm not an Android fanboy (for context, the only mobile platform I was ever a fanboy of was WP and I abandoned the poo poo out of them because I'm not stupid) but you can find at least one pretty good phone at any given time, and if you don't like what a manufacturer is doing with a phone, guess what, you can pick a different one

If Apple does something you don't approve of you just shrug your shoulders and continue shoveling your money into them because momentum will not allow for any other course of action

see now thats all good you make sense when you aren't adding snobby comments about headphone jacks and yopsos

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Actually I've invested thousands of dollars in apps and services in Apple and gently caress me if I'll ever switch, even if I want to

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

loquacius posted:

The same reason every flagship phone doesn't let you use an SD card: people will pay out the rear end for more internal storage that way

and these days theyd really love to sell you on a cloud storage subscription on top of that

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Keg posted:

Turns out the Nexus 6p isn't a very good phone either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTIaUH6PIvo

i have one

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the iphone 7 is actually a really nice phone so far and has non-embarassing battery life. way better than the 6 was when it first came out.

why does the pixel look like a chinese knockoff iphone 6 with a weird plate welded on the back

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

thathonkey posted:

and these days theyd really love to sell you on a cloud storage subscription on top of that

Pixel comes with unlimited cloud storage for media

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

med school head posted:

see now thats all good you make sense when you aren't adding snobby comments about headphone jacks and yopsos

I mean, I was pretty much saying the exact same thing as before. The headphone jack is just the most recent example of it. Motorola tried taking the headphone jack off an Android phone, and nobody bought it because there were plenty of other options that still had it. Apple did the same thing, and people immediately started defending them over it because it was either that or not buy the newest iPhone which is a crazy idea

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Brosnan posted:

I have an MP3 collection for a reason, and that reason isn't so I can have the privilege of streaming it over cell data while I'm in my car :colbert:

(the reason is because I am old)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Brosnan posted:

oh drat google just has tons of that poo poo lying around waiting to be mined

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

loquacius posted:

But the Galaxy/Note are flagship phones. Heck, Raspberry Pi Zeros cost $5 and one of the only things they come with by default are SD card slots

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I'll be honest I wouldn't even care about the SD slot if the base option was 64 GB, but 32 is garbage and the only other option is 128 for an extra $100 gently caress you google

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Galaxy has an SD card slot? I have an S6 Active and I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Did they add that in for the S7, because even if they did I'm not sure that cancels out the explosion factor

Dial-a-Dog posted:

I'll be honest I wouldn't even care about the SD slot if the base option was 64 GB, but 32 is garbage and the only other option is 128 for an extra $100 gently caress you google

:same:

64GB of storage is necessary for me but 128 is just excessive

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

loquacius posted:

The Galaxy has an SD card slot? I have an S6 Active and I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Did they add that in for the S7, because even if they did I'm not sure that cancels out the explosion factor

:same:

64GB of storage is necessary for me but 128 is just excessive

My Note 4 has a mini SD card slot next to the SIM card

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

thathonkey posted:

the iphone 7 is actually a really nice phone so far and has non-embarassing battery life. way better than the 6 was when it first came out.

why does the pixel look like a chinese knockoff iphone 6 with a weird plate welded on the back

Because that's what it is

Dial-a-Dog posted:

But the Galaxy/Note are flagship phones. Heck, Raspberry Pi Zeros cost $5 and one of the only things they come with by default are SD card slots

Yes and who buys flagship phones? Idiots who can't manage money

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

med school head posted:

are the snapdragon socs still inherently flawed? i know they and the exynos that samsung uses are still considerably far behind the A10 (have they even caught up to the A7 in the iphone 5s yet?)

Lol if you can tell the difference between phone chips. Just lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Next month I my free upgrade phone. What should I get goons? I like the colors black and blue and have been using Android phones for several years, but really don't care. What phjone can I get for next to nothing with a $400 credit that fits into the catagories of "blue and/or black?"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
iphone has two blacks to androids inferior one

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Next month I my free upgrade phone. What should I get goons? I like the colors black and blue and have been using Android phones for several years, but really don't care. What phjone can I get for next to nothing with a $400 credit that fits into the catagories of "blue and/or black?"

Get one of those exploding smartphones, guaranteed to make you black and blue.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Solice Kirsk posted:

LG G5 or Galaxy S7

I got the G5 for free and the device itself is 9/10, like it's got all the same poo poo that the Galaxy S7 has except waterproofing but the actual design is a bit wonky until you put a case on it but the higher quality camera AND a wide angle camera was the game changer for me.

The "LG Friends" concept seems DOA, but at least you can swap batteries. Why can't LG just copy Motorola? Even the Moto mods are kind of questionable too though. All the "flagship" phones right now are so good you almost can't go wrong.

Any ways here is a picture the wide angle camera took. #nofilter

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

That pic looks v good

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
I just buy cheap burner phones so i can dramatically throw them into the sea when recieving bad news.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

numberoneposter posted:

LG G5 or Galaxy S7

I got the G5 for free and the device itself is 9/10, like it's got all the same poo poo that the Galaxy S7 has except waterproofing but the actual design is a bit wonky until you put a case on it but the higher quality camera AND a wide angle camera was the game changer for me.

The "LG Friends" concept seems DOA, but at least you can swap batteries. Why can't LG just copy Motorola? Even the Moto mods are kind of questionable too though. All the "flagship" phones right now are so good you almost can't go wrong.

dang

so yeah I am probably gonna get a lg v10, tmobile has a deal where they throw in a tablet with it and a buddy at work has that phone and its nice

it has two screens on the front

this is the future

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

numberoneposter posted:

LG G5 or Galaxy S7

Moto mods are a sort of dumb concept rendered utterly retarded in execution. The fancy camera is $300, as is the projector. That is outrageously expensive

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I wish Project Fi wasn't stupidly expensive for data. Also same for Verizon.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jose Mengelez posted:

I just buy cheap burner phones so i can dramatically throw them into the sea when recieving bad news.

Pro as gently caress.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

People keep telling me my phone is fine, and it's only 6-months old.

I 'accidentally' ran over it with my car this morning.

Looks like it's now practical to buy the pixel.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

clam the gently caress down posted:

People keep telling me my phone is fine, and it's only 6-months old.

I 'accidentally' ran over it with my car this morning.

Looks like it's now practical to buy the pixel.

By "people" you mean your parents, right?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Dial-a-Dog posted:

How come the pixel doesn't let you use an SD card, I always heard the reason it wasn't a feature on the Nexus was to cut the price but now it costs as much as an iPhone or a Galaxy (which does use SD cards)?

Because we have NVMe flash in phones which is way faster, sdcards are loving slow and people will just buy the worst Chinese ripoff sdcards money can buy then complain that their phone is lovely and laggy

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brosnan posted:

I wish Project Fi wasn't stupidly expensive for data. Also same for Verizon.

I wish plans offered unlimited 2G data for $5.00 or something as I'd be all over that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

theperminator posted:

Because we have NVMe flash in phones which is way faster, sdcards are loving slow and people will just buy the worst Chinese ripoff sdcards money can buy then complain that their phone is lovely and laggy

yeah i thought goog dropped sd card support sometime around ice cream sandwich because storing apps and data on such a lovely medium that may or may not be inserted was too much of a pita to deal with, of course third party manufacturers continued to support sd cards using hacky poo poo

• Locked thread