Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Moridin920 posted:

it was super cool when a modern armor was defeated by a spearman from 1500BC because RNG

that was my favorite

what are the odds of this happening? Asking as a non player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Moridin920 posted:

it was super cool when a modern armor was defeated by a spearman from 1500BC because RNG

that was my favorite

This actually was fun and a huge part of Civ1's charm. You can tweak the numbers so it happens 1 in 200 times instead of 1 in 50 or whatever, but planning for that eventuality (or being able to cross your fingers and hope for it as a Hail Mary when you were otherwise hosed) was a Good Thing.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
the stacks of death were actually really dumb and bad and civ 5 & 6s combat system is a huge improvement

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Is the AI combat still poo poo?

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
AI combats still not great but it's a step up from V

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

MrChupon posted:

This actually was fun and a huge part of Civ1's charm. You can tweak the numbers so it happens 1 in 200 times instead of 1 in 50 or whatever, but planning for that eventuality (or being able to cross your fingers and hope for it as a Hail Mary when you were otherwise hosed) was a Good Thing.

Actually it sucked poo poo you giant retard

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

unit stacking is a non issue since SMAC has it and even the 1 in a thousand chance an outmatched stack will sometimes win thing, and it's the best 4x to ever exist unless you're a big loving baby

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alan Smithee posted:

what are the odds of this happening? Asking as a non player

i dunno the exact odds but it was often enough that "spearman in an open field defeats tank" was a meme for a bit back in the day

MrChupon posted:

Planning for a failure may be cool but dude when your entire stack of 30 tanks dies because 1 of them eventually lost a roll to the stack of 5-10 spearmen from 4-5 ages ago that's just lovely

anyway say what you will about civ 6 but the nukes are pretty + the thermonuclear with the larger effective radius are awesome

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 23, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

hey man if that spearman can get past the effective range of the barrel, and assuming he avoids the line of fire of any mounted support MG, he could get on top of the tank open the hatch and stab the gently caress out of the crew. Depending on the type of tank.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Civ games allow for a lot of variety in how you play them which means there's always a whole lot of people unhappy with each new game because it didn't do what they hoped it would. The only way to know if it's "good" for you is to watch let's plays and decide for yourself like an adult human

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Still not as good as 4.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

LPs are that thing where people talk loudly and stupidly over game footage, and play like retards half the time. I wouldnt wanna make purchasing decisions from that.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

The Wizard of Poz posted:

Civ games allow for a lot of variety in how you play them which means there's always a whole lot of people unhappy with each new game because it didn't do what they hoped it would. The only way to know if it's "good" for you is to watch let's plays and decide for yourself like an adult human

watch let's plays and decide for yourself like an adult human

watch let's plays...like an adult human

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Waiting for the Hitler DLC.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Spearman v. Tank was specifically a meme because unit within cities have way higher defense and, hilariously, the bonuses that spearmen get against people riding horses continued to apply to tanks in the old game, so putting a spearman in a city and turtling up was weirdly effective against tanks. Low level units can still withstand a lot of punishment from higher level units in the late game, but it's because the actual city and its defenses are absorbing the damage. Basically, cities are really hard to capture.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

watching a couple of videos of people playing a game is probably the best way to see whether a game is good before you buy it. sorry if you're a pre-ordering schmuck

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

watching a couple of videos of people playing a game is probably the best way to see whether a game is good before you buy it. sorry if you're a pre-ordering schmuck

if you don't preorder they can run out of stock on launch day and then you're sitting there playing lovely old civ 5 while everyone else is playing civ 6

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't stand to watch videos of people playing because they all talk over it in their nasally voices and Civ specifically involves so much number watching that I want it to go at my own pace. I usually watch a friend play for awhile instead, because they're learning as I'm learning, usually, so we can both look at the numbers, and I don't have to listen to The Internet Gamer on Youtube Voice.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

i'd rather lose money than ever watch somebody else play a video game

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I can't stand to watch videos of people playing because they all talk over it in their nasally voices and Civ specifically involves so much number watching that I want it to go at my own pace. I usually watch a friend play for awhile instead, because they're learning as I'm learning, usually, so we can both look at the numbers, and I don't have to listen to The Internet Gamer on Youtube Voice.

well yeah but then your friend has to buy it blind and if you have smart friends they dont do that

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

well yeah but then your friend has to buy it blind and if you have smart friends they dont do that

someone in this scenario is an idiot, and it's probably the let's players since they ponied up the cash on the off chance they could rush out a video of them breathing heavily while they play a civilization game on launch day

but yeah it can sort of help, although the paradox devs tricked me into buying Stellaris through their gameplay videos

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

someone in this scenario is an idiot, and it's probably the let's players since they ponied up the cash on the off chance they could rush out a video of them breathing heavily while they play a civilization game on launch day

but yeah it can sort of help, although the paradox devs tricked me into buying Stellaris through their gameplay videos

let's players are definitely unrepentant morons

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sometimes people have enough disposable income that they don't want to wait, and while I am not that person, it's real nice knowing them!!

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Sometimes people have enough disposable income that they don't want to wait, and while I am not that person, it's real nice knowing them!!

that's true i guess if you can genuinely afford it without batting an eye then who cares (altho PRE ordering is always dumb)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

that's true i guess if you can genuinely afford it without batting an eye then who cares (altho PRE ordering is always dumb)

It's the same as an order except sometimes it comes with prizes, though? If I had all the money in the world I would probably pre-order Civ games because I miss having the paper tech tree I could look at while playing.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Steam's refund policy is good poo poo. Bless the fact I can just request a refund if something is garbage.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Methanar posted:

Still not as good as 4.

Yeah :\

still though 4 is only really good after all the expansions and stuff so we'll see

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

stacking was good just because you could have workers work without having to worry about them getting interrupted by your units. Worst thing about 5 is when you tell your workers to build a road to another city then one of your other units stops on the path and the worker freaks out because its way is "blocked."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

e: didn't realize people were talking about Civ 1

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 24, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always imagined the huge difference in tech-era units on the map more represented general strengths and organization of the unit. So a musketman in modern times fighting a mechanized infantry might represent a disorganized militia with lovely weapons. The spearman beating a tank then would be some lovely mob of idiots with hatchets and hunting rifles managing to get super lucky and get in close with some grenades, or place some IED's. Not literal ancient greeks with little spears attacking a tank. Or at least that's how I explained it in my *head cannon*

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

wrong, they're actually literal spearmen

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

why are all the leaders constantly flirting with me and giving me bedroom eyes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If civ vi is a dating sim i might give it a try

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bicyclops posted:

Spearman v. Tank was specifically a meme because unit within cities have way higher defense and, hilariously, the bonuses that spearmen get against people riding horses continued to apply to tanks in the old game, so putting a spearman in a city and turtling up was weirdly effective against tanks. Low level units can still withstand a lot of punishment from higher level units in the late game, but it's because the actual city and its defenses are absorbing the damage. Basically, cities are really hard to capture.

is this less of a thing in later civs?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Phlegmish posted:

wrong, they're actually literal spearmen

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i bought civ 5 because it was only like $20 or $30 and the mac version of 6 hasn come out :shrug: ill probably just keep playing this it is fun

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

thathonkey posted:

i bought civ 5 because it was only like $20 or $30 and the mac version of 6 hasn come out :shrug: ill probably just keep playing this it is fun

I started replaying civ 5 and its really good

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
can you give me some tips or a gamefaqs or something

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

thathonkey posted:

befriend everyone and be friends with everybody and have a good time, no fighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

thathonkey posted:

set up your city in a desert or the snow . dont worry about researching or making money or stuff or fighting wars . have agood and chill time.

• Locked thread