Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

I'm working on the chart update, and I've found a mistake, I think. Knar was successful two turns ago, but didn't get +1 to his roll for his next turn. The turn after (last turn) he rolled 1 and divided, but with the +1, that would have been a 2, and a branching only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

ShadowGlass posted:

I'm working on the chart update, and I've found a mistake, I think. Knar was successful two turns ago, but didn't get +1 to his roll for his next turn. The turn after (last turn) he rolled 1 and divided, but with the +1, that would have been a 2, and a branching only.
You are right! I'll change that in the update too - doesn't really change anything in particular.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Chart as of the end of the update:

The yellow cross-thingies are the self-sacrifices, the red X-es are when a small Archon just dies. The latter should create new Siran (in the last four lines), so there should be 4 types now.

Uz-Uz really stands out on that chart as the most ancient of the still living Archons. Yes, he was overwhelmed once, but never divided. It's also very striking how chaotic the last 3-4 epochs are compared to the relative steadiness of the first half.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Such a beautiful family tree. It's also interesting to see the overall shapes of the lineages, how some of them continually narrow, others are more or less consistent, and others bulge outwards occasionally.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Icon:
Name: Splulp (Kay-Born)
Portfolio: Detritus
Action: Splulp explores the vastness of Mouth's insides. If her existence weren't a fluke, not all matter and energy was destroyed by passing Mouth's threshold. Splulp attempts to make a place for some of the energy consumed to be converted into something new.

Form a womb inside Mouth: 1d4 = 3

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Are we missing anyone still?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Aabcehmu posted:

Are we missing anyone still?

Either way I'm updating today!

edit: Missing Uz-Uz, but I think I'll update anyhow and if he opts to post soon I'll retroactively drop it in.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 31, 2017

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Icon:

Name: Uz-Uz
Portfolio: Entwining

Action: Uz-Uz further prepares the Maki for war with Mouth by teaching them tactics.

Teach the Maki tactics to use against Mouth 1d4+1: 4

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

With its new powers, the Archon of Heat-Vortex-Approaching-Energy reached spectral fingers into the underlying substrate of the multiverse and made a few modifications to its parameters. Mathematics itself bent under the pressure of its will, culminating in a fundamental law - when a given universe succumbed to entropy, it would gradually unravel in a vortex of energy until it at last dissipated. Even though it meant granting ground to the enemy, Mouth, the extended heat death would buy the rest of the multiverse some time. Surely the great beast would tarry long enough that the rest of the Archons could find a means of containing it. It would simply have to do for now.

Through Kay’s actions, Mouth is incentivized to stay in universes as long as possible to drain every last drop out of them before spreading to other lands. Kay is pleased, and gains +1 to its next roll.

The Archon-Seed, growing strong with a constant infusion of wasted Archonic energy, at long last burst into growth and soon spread through intrauniversal space - and then pierced further still, holding the whole of the multiverse in its wide and still-spreading branches. A great shift of perspective took place, sending the Archons spinning with a disorientation mostly unknown to them. When things settled - which may have taken seconds or eons - the multiverse had become an omniverse. Or, perhaps… it always had been? Strength, Archon of Forever, felt alien messages flooding into its consciousness, streaming along its branches from the infinite set of multiversal fruit.

”Hello, stranger! From whence do you hail? Others were unknown to us. We thought there was naught but us!”

”Leave us, interloper! The power of the Whole is ours alone!”

”What have you done! You’ve released a cancer into your lands and now you’ve put all of us at risk! Break the connection! Break it!”

The messages continued to pour through it unabated, some welcoming, some curious, many fearful - and all of them stuck together. The Archon of Forever had bound them and their worlds together inextricably.

The Archon-Seed has grown into a great Tree, supporting the collection of all the multiverses in its branches. Each multiverse is (apparently) itself made from fragments of The Whole, same as yours. Until this moment, none of them had any idea that anyone else existed - and now that they do, none of them want anything to do with Mouth. Regardless, Strength is pleased, and gains +1 to its next roll. Incidentally, unless specifically mentioned, all actions will take place within this specific multiverse - the Archons (including Strength) still have extremely access to any other multiverses.

Et-Ro was diminished, but it preferred to think of itself as tempered - everything unnecesary stripped away by its division. Only Duty was left, and Duty was all that stood between creation and Mouth. The Archon quickly confirmed it retained its connection to its Envoys, and queried them regarding the status of their battles with the Dark Star. The answers flooded in, filling Et-Ro with dismay - so many had fallen, many without ever encountering Mouth at all.

The Hand was powerful and their forces numerous, and they razed planets in preparation for their master’s arrival. Uz-Uz fought alongside the resistance, granting them knowledge and tactics enough such that one ‘finger’ of the Hand had been slain in a titanic battle. Et-Ro thanked the Archon of Entwining for its continued and unflagging support, but it wasn’t enough.

Et-Ro felt sadness, and anger, and began designs for a greater Duty - for the greatest Duty of all. It reached out for Creation itself and spoke to it. All the souls in all the lands in all the universes woke to its call and listened. The command was simple: “Be.” And all the souls in all the lands in all the universes Were, and they decided to stay that way.

Et-Ro and Uz-Uz fight against Mouth’s hunger, with the latter providing cunning strategy and the former coordinating its Envoys against the forces of the Hand. Et-Ro further grants Creation the Duty to Be, reinforcing the notion of Karma and linking the souls of the multiverse together in some ineffable way. This new gestalt wishes above all else to Be, and will oppose attempts to forestall it's Duty. Both are pleased, gaining +1 to their next roll.

Shard woke with a blazing purpose, to further partition the fractured world into Realms. The cosmology had grown convoluted beyond mortal measure, and so the Archon sought to categorize it. And so the multiverse was cut into thirds - a Material Realm, home of Life’s bodies, as well as the domain of the Maki; the Middle Realm, where their bodies were reflected as Auras; and finally the Spiritual Realm, the home of Souls and the Archons themselves. Its new Rules spread like a virus through the multiverse, though not instantaneously - it lacked the power for such things (for now). System by system, the Realms blinked into existence, like sheets of paper peeling apart. Soon, it would reach Mouth, and the Rules would bind it, both empowering it in some ways and curtailing it in others. That was Good.

Shard splits the multiverse into Realms: Material, Middle, and Spiritual. This will eventually sink into the fabric of the multiverse and become immutable law, but due to Shard’s limited power it’s a patchwork, slow affair at the moment. Nevertheless, Shard stabilizes and rises to d4

Mouth continues to feed and grow larger, though universal death heat spikes slow its progress measurably. Err proved invaluable as the Dark Star’s roving eye, seeking out new prey for it’s endless hunger. Until, quite suddenly, it sacrifices itself, to itself, blasting itself out of existence. Err’s attachment to Mouth had become more than symbolic - it didn’t show Mouth visions, it was Mouth’s vision. The strange Archon’s death had blinded the Star, and it lashed out at random, killing another member of the Hand before it could be calmed and corralled. To make matters worse for it, as it stumbled blindly through a darkened Sunpath, Knar-Led ambushed it, sealing it in an infinite loop. Mouth did what it did best.
1d4+1d4=4
It tore at the space around it, spilling out into other ‘adjacent’ Sunpaths and bursting like a cloud of locusts into several unsuspecting universes. Knar-Led could not withstand the assault, and was consumed…

Deep ‘within’ Mouth’s gut, Splulp bore witness to the tattered fragments of another devoured Archon. Knar-Led’s remnants, far too far gone to maintain a shred of ego, flitted out as Sunpath-Siran. She hoped fervently that at least some of them escaped, but trapped within she had no way of knowing. Instead, she gathered whatever she could and secreted in a secret womb within the Dark Star’s very belly. Perhaps someday it could be of use.

Err, First ∀spect of tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttthhhhhhhhhzzzccccc of Thuh Hole, lets itself fall into Sacrifice to symbolically and literally blind the Dark Star. Its roll, d4, is lost forever and does not generate another Archon. Knar-Led attempts to trap Mouth, but is overwhelmed and devoured. Mouth will hereafter attempt to devour the lowest-rolling Archon each turn unless otherwise distracted. Knar-Led’s d2 roll is appended to Mouth’s current rolls, strengthening it. Finally, Splulp creates a seed of stored power within Mouth’s gut, which may someday spell its undoing. She is pleased, gaining +1 to her next roll.

---
No Archon Spots Currently Empty!

(But if you guys want to make some Icons for the other omniversal Archons just for fun, you can go right ahead! Unless you make a concerted effort, you won’t be interacting with them - but their multiverses may well be a tempting place to escape should this one prove… unsustainable. As I mentioned earlier, I’m in the process of winding this down, but the precise HOW isn’t set in stone yet. I’ll take my cues from your actions!)

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Icon:
Name: Kay
Portfolio: Energy, Approaching, Heat, Vortex

Kay experiences a massive planar shift of reality as it witnesses the structural recomposition of timespace, as the framework of the whole firmament of creation and beyond contorts and realigns itself along branching, layered paths to connect with the further-fractalized multiverse in ways that that always had been and always will be thus, all in accordance with the acts committed by the newest Archons.

The Archon Seed had hatched - the one of great Strength. Kay remembers setting some-thing in place aeons ago when it was was just a mere archonic foundling... little did it expect that such an early action from so long ago would result in something with such impressive power! Kay watched the fabric of timespace spreading outward from itself, fringed with an ornate quiltwork of splitting layers, and fell in an abject state of euphoric admiration with the blended result.

Kay's focal centers blazed with a burning pride for it's archonic "children" and their recent successes. It beamed with swirling joy as it thought of making for itself a brand new autonomous creation.

All across the multiverse, Kay set out a heroic order for the Spirit Siran to GATHER THE SIRAN, typically resulting in groups of four Siran-empowered mortals to be drawn together and charged with protecting their respective worlds.

The Four Heroic Aspects seemed to be drawn from Kay's Portfolio of domain powers:

Energy aspect: Chiaroscuro Siran, shifting between light and shadow
Approaching aspect: Sunpath Siran, flitting along the glittering sunpaths
Heat aspect: Heat-Darkness Siran, flowing deep within the cores of planets
Vortex aspect: Singularity Siran, blossoming at the innermost heart of stars

Thus gathered with the help of the Spirit-Siran, Kay fuses all five Siran powers together, and sends the result into the Vortex holes to aid Spulp within the gut of Mouth.

Action: Gather the Siran for fusion into something new - send it to aid Spulp
Gathering Siran for Fusion across Multiverse: 1d8+1 5

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Icon:
Name: Strength
Portfolio: Forever
Action: ...If a fruit were to ripen and fall, it would never again touch the greater whole, never infect or conquer or destroy it. It would fall - forever - into the abyss, never touching the other branches or fruit of the tree of infinity, never endangering Strength and all that it was.

So did the fruit of this multiverse swell, lustrous and heavy - and fall.

Ripen the fruit: 1d8+1 8

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Archon Seed don't gently caress around.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

loving hell man. Way to be pessimistic about our chances to beat the Mouth eventually. By doing that you're going to make it EASIER for the Mouth to win because I'm going to have to spend my turn doing something to counteract your action because discovering a paradigm shift of omniverses then having it immediately (relatively) snatched away sucks. Now I have to really think about what Et-Ro cares about more here.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

loving hell man. Way to be pessimistic about our chances to beat the Mouth eventually. By doing that you're going to make it EASIER for the Mouth to win because I'm going to have to spend my turn doing something to counteract your action because discovering a paradigm shift of omniverses then having it immediately (relatively) snatched away sucks. Now I have to really think about what Et-Ro cares about more here.

On the upside, it's a sweet gig for Strength itself, though!

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Don't stress about Strength. Two actions to say "Your Multiverse isn't alone" followed by, "Oh wait now it is." I fail to see how we aren't just exactly back where we were minus a D8 god who's now cut off in their own sandbox.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Icon:
Name: Splulp (Kay-Born)
Portfolio: Detritus
Action: Without eyes, Mouth needed some kind of sense - perhaps its very own hunger, to communicate with Hand. Splulp attempts to tap into those cast-off emanations herself. She twists them, adding a sheen of rippling auric disruption that slips away into the space of the world. Spiritual detritus that the Chiaroscuro Siran will be able to envision, and use to their tactical advantage.

(Coordinate with Kay)
Make the connections between Hand and Mouth cause ripples in the auraverse, such that the Siran can utilize them: 1d4+1 = 3

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 2, 2017

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Dog Kisser posted:

On the upside, it's a sweet gig for Strength itself, though!
And besides, this is the endgame.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

I would be both incredibly proud and very amused if Mouth managed to get a triple crit roll of 10 and managed to reestablish connection to the greater multiverse despite Strength's effort.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Icon:
Name: Shard
Portfolio: Realms
Action: The multiverse is a fragile and tumultuous place, and so the Realms needed guardians. Shard looked at the Embers, left alone and forgotten by the Archons in the last few eras. Yes, they'll be ideal. Shard sacrifices itself to give the portfolio of the Realms to the Embers, along with a gift and a purpose.

While the Embers are already the most powerful among mortals in the ways of the Middle realm, Shard gives them a way to increase their power by several magnitude. Using their innate connection to the Suns, the Embers now have the ability to channel the Auras of the Suns to manipulate the Middle Realm regardless of their distance. Suns are the most ancient part of the Multiverse, touched by many Archons over the eras, and while they're not conscious (except Mouth) their Auras are immense and powerful.

Shard also gives a Purpose to the Embers: They are to be the guardians of the Realms, especially the guardians of the Rules of the Realms. They'll also help spread the Realms to every part of the Multiverse.
While all of the Rules are important, they're especially watchful for anything that breaks the first rule. Such objects or beings which are missing a presence from a realm while having a presence in a lower realms are called Demons. There aren't any at the moment, and they can't occur naturally, only by someone creating them on purpose. Shard teaches them that the Demons absence from the higher realms is essentially a tear in the fabric of the Multiverse, a crack in the power of the Whole. It's unnatural and dangerous and has to be destroyed, or they might tear reality apart. Embers will also destroy those who created the demons, be it a Mortal, Maki, Dark Ember or Envoy. It's up to their individual judgement, but they might also destroy someone just for having the knowledge of how to create one. If such knowledge is recorded in any way, they'll erase it.

As far as Mouth is concerned, when the Realms reach it, it'll be subject to the Rules. The Embers will watch carefully (from afar), and if Mouth breaks the Rules, they'll join the war against him (with the power of all the Suns in the Multiverse at their hands). Shard gives them one last warning before he winks out: If such a great battle ever takes place, they should be careful not to drain all of the Aura of any of the Suns they're linked to. Anything that exists in the Material Realm, but has no Aura, is a type of Demon, and the Suns would become powerful ones, even with no consciousness. Not to mention that they'd be large holes/tears in the fabric of the Multiverse, it might be in danger simply from their existence.

I think we don't need to roll for sacrifice, but here it is anyway: 1d4=1

Addendum: There can be four types of demons, depending on which parts are missing. I couldn't come up with good names for each:
The Soulless: Body + Aura, no Soul: Chaos, Destruction, Red
The Hollow: Body, no Aura, no Soul: Decay, Fading, Grey
?? : Body + Soul, no Aura: Death, Darkness, Black
?? : Aura only, no Soul: Pain, Suffering, Purple

So this kind of gives you another way to destroy the Multiverse, in case Mouth gets beaten. :v:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man I'm getting serious creative block here. I'll try to submit mine soon but I'm just straight up lacking in ideas at this exact moment.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man I'm getting serious creative block here. I'll try to submit mine soon but I'm just straight up lacking in ideas at this exact moment.

Take your time - I'm in no particular rush to get this done (probably obvious from the pacing of the game so far!)

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

It hasn't been quite one month yet. I still have some hope.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

If it helps, I'm officially bowing out. It was fun but I just totally ran out of ideas. I'm just not that creative I guess.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
So what needs done to help bring this game to a close?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

I mean really I can just tie everything up pretty easily with what we've got - it wouldn't be all that tough. I suppose I ought to, if only for sake of conclusion, I just let this slip by the wayside as interest waned. Give me a couple days, yeah?

• Locked thread