Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i don't see the overlap between the fun animal thread lady and the gibbis elemental tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I agree, I'm nothing like the closet furry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyZpDKebN4M

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Has anyone pointed out that the characters the OP mentioned are bog-standard "antiheros" and have exactly loving dick to do with the Dunning-Kruger effect?

Dog why are so many modern antiheroes wicked smaht?

Reminds me - I need to add Good Will Hunting to the list.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pick posted:

I mean ironically, a lot of people have used D-K to justify that if they think they suck, actually they're great.

By the way, if you've read the actual study, the people at the bottom don't think they're great, they think they're slightly above average.

The people at the top don't think they're the worst, they think they're somewhat above average.

They act like it's a big finding when people who did studies on attractiveness found the same thing. People tend to think they're from "slightly above average" to "somewhat above average". Wow, shocker. All that says is that people do tend to rank themselves correctly, just in a limited scope of potential performance. That is, people rank themselves correctly on a scale of 1-10, if you compress that to the numbers between 6 and 8.

That's not really accurate. At the top of the scale competent people tend to overestimate the competence of others, and thus underestimate how much better they themselves are performing. At the bottom of the scale people wildly inflate their own competence, particularly if they arrive at their wrong notions in a systematic manner. The biggest problem is that the incompetent people are incompetent in ways that make them largely unable to even perceive their own incompetence.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The biggest problem is that the incompetent people are incompetent in ways that make them largely unable to even perceive their own incompetence.

Incompetence statistically implies incompetence in objectivity?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
The OP had me until

FaradayCage posted:

Literally the massively capable autist that anon wishes they were.

What is this 4chan poo poo that you have poisoned our eyes with, you rear end in a top hat?

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
how do you know what 4chan poo poo is, anon?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FaradayCage posted:

Incompetence statistically implies incompetence in objectivity?

It's really more in the nature of an agnosia than anything else.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Has anyone pointed out that the characters the OP mentioned are bog-standard "antiheros" and have exactly loving dick to do with the Dunning-Kruger effect?

You're right that those characters have nothing to do with the Dunning-Kruger effect, but I don't think those kind of characters were standard anti-heroes until very recently. The standard anti-hero is more someone like Tony Soprano, who isn't autistic at all.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

What is this 4chan poo poo that you have poisoned our eyes with, you rear end in a top hat?

Uhhhhh when I said "anon" I was referring to one of the world famous hacker 4chan's pseudos.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's really more in the nature of an agnosia than anything else.

I don't follow. Please elaborate.

The Dennis System posted:

You're right that those characters have nothing to do with the Dunning-Kruger effect, but I don't think those kind of characters were standard anti-heroes until very recently. The standard anti-hero is more someone like Tony Soprano, who isn't autistic at all.

My point is that D-K in people is what makes these new antiheroes popular. I guess by extension, my point is that these new antiheroes are popular now because of the prevalence of the D-K phenomenon.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
the only pendulum swinging is my tremendous and genius ball sack

also, i am smart and thinks are holding me back so like i can totally relate to it, i just dont get why the op can relate to any of htis poo poo

edit: i'm a cool super hero introvert and you can suck my fuckman :)

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Drunk & Ugly posted:

the only pendulum swinging is my tremendous and genius ball sack

also, i am smart and thinks are holding me back so like i can totally relate to it, i just dont get why the op can relate to any of htis poo poo

edit: i'm a cool super hero introvert and you can suck my fuckman :)

martin_tell_me_more.gif

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FaradayCage posted:

Uhhhhh when I said "anon" I was referring to one of the world famous hacker 4chan's pseudos.

I don't follow. Please elaborate.

My point is that D-K in people is what makes these new antiheroes popular. I guess by extension, my point is that these new antiheroes are popular now because of the prevalence of the D-K phenomenon.

Is your schtick now just going to be roleplaying the low-competence version of the Dunning-Kruger effect?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
if you cant relate to not wanting to hang out with or get on the same sense of humor as a lot of other people because they are just too drat stupid then youre the definitely stupidest person you know
its a real thing and if you cant think of like 5 awesome geniuses who famously "suffered" from this you need to read some fuckin books. good god if you think its something contemporary the media invented

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
kanye west is a misunderstood genius w social deficits so there you go, it's a real thing and he's probably our most important figure, makes you think.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FaradayCage posted:

The modern "hero" is a a genius with social deficits.

It cashes in on the fact that everyone views themselves as tragically amazing in mental respects (which are awesome because I loving LOVE SCIENCE!) but also tragically terrible (which is okay because "I am quiet and I think cuddling and watching netflix is maybe sometimes fun").

Sorry, I shoulda made that clearer.

ty im glad i could read your high school essay

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
maybe if you want some ppl to suck your genius dick post this in tviv tho?

Woden
May 6, 2006
There's an unhealthy obsession with media. Like if we could somehow purge the problematic aspects in movies then everything will become better.

eg. this thread wants to talk about sperg culture or whatever but of course had to couch it in tv and movie references.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is your schtick now just going to be roleplaying the low-competence version of the Dunning-Kruger effect?

No?

How do you mean?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Woden posted:

There's an unhealthy obsession with media. Like if we could somehow purge the problematic aspects in movies then everything will become better.

eg. this thread wants to talk about sperg culture or whatever but of course had to couch it in tv and movie references.

maybe idk ppl should just njoy tv and movies ,& games and not take them too sreriously?

namaste

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FaradayCage posted:

No?

How do you mean?

If we were going to rate each individual post in this thread, on a strict zero-sum value, where do you think you would land in terms of rating? Like in what percentile?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
This thread should be taken out to a deserted train depot and shot in the teeth

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
1, 2, Dunning's coming 4 u.....

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

gary oldmans diary posted:

if you cant relate to not wanting to hang out with or get on the same sense of humor as a lot of other people because they are just too drat stupid then youre the definitely stupidest person you know
its a real thing and if you cant think of like 5 awesome geniuses who famously "suffered" from this you need to read some fuckin books. good god if you think its something contemporary the media invented

You could read a million of books, from Lost Illusions to The Orphan Master's Son, and never come across this kind of character.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Sherlock Holmes was once on the threshold of solving one of the world's greatest mysteries. A vast conspiracy that spanned eras and knew no borders. A boundless horror that threatened to pull the nations of the world into an insidious age. When he heard from Watson that some of the would-be victims had posted in this very thread, he renounced his title of detective and hosed off to appalachia to write a vblog series about the latent eroticism of caboose train cars, called post-humously "A study in scarlet" by the few who escaped the death cultists.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
This thread sucks dick

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

You could read a million of books, from Lost Illusions to The Orphan Master's Son, and never come across this kind of character.

No one has read millions of books, it's impossible. Even if you read two books a day it'd take like fifty years to read a million books.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Did anyone mention Powder?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
"I probably killed an above-average but unexceptional number of children, bitch!"
|/

Cubone
May 26, 2011

"what if intelligence quotient tries to call?"

*broken phone begins to ring*

"I'm yr intellegence heuristic now, Nancy!"

Cubone
May 26, 2011

"it's too late, Kruger... I know the secret now. the study showed dumb ppl estimated they would score above-average, not that they would outscore the smart ppl... I take back every bit of energy I gave u! the popular understanding of the study is not borne out by the results! ur nothing... ur poo poo!"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Psycho Society posted:

This thread sucks dick

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

yeah ive never read a biography about any extraordinary mathematician or physicist who didnt really fit in with society. the idea is laughable [sound of laughter]

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If we were going to rate each individual post in this thread, on a strict zero-sum value, where do you think you would land in terms of rating? Like in what percentile?

I'm guessing like 10/10, like I'm in that part of the percentile that standardized testing doesn't even bother trying to rank.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

N/A i am a non-sentient malignant mass of chaos, a blind idiot nebulous entity

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

SpaceClown posted:

N/A i am a non-sentient malignant mass of chaos, a blind idiot nebulous entity

aka a boring fatty

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Boring skeleton

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The problem with dunning-kruger is now every psuedo-intellectual has heard of it so they all purposefully say "eh, I'm a bit above average, nothing special!"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceClown posted:

The problem with dunning-kruger is now every psuedo-intellectual has heard of it so they all purposefully say "eh, I'm a bit above average, nothing special!"

this is why sociology can never be a real discipline. once you publish the results of your studies it changes peoples behaviors, making your study invalid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SpaceClown posted:

I've never actually heard it referenced once outside of GBS, the forum for people who think using a science word they heard from a blog post lends their calling someone a jackass more gravitas

• Locked thread