Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

1redflag posted:

Clearly you need to shop at Publix, where shopping is a pleasure.

Yesterday they were out of pre-made meatloaf and I told the butcher counter dude and he RAN to go make me a fresh one. At Winn Dixie he would have called me an rear end in a top hat and threw a chuck roast at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Just lol if you don't order online and pick up at the store on your way home.

hathfallen
Dec 22, 2003
That street between the store and the parking lot? Yeah, don't bother crossing that poo poo or anything, just wander the gently caress all over it aimlessly.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Grocery stores suck because it's where the average American's entitlement and insistence on being pampered and spoiled meets corporate America's mandate to spend as little as possible so they can maximize profits.

You can shop somewhere like Aldis where the groceries are cheap and checkout is fast but you have to bag your own groceries and bring the cart back to the front of the store, or you can shop somewhere like Costco where you have to pay a membership fee and buy food by the gross to make up for the lack of profit margin and have the person at the exit treat you like a criminal as they pore over your receipt, or you can shop at your bougie overpriced "natural" food shoppe of choice where a handful of food costs $20, but the one constant is that the only way you're not going to have a bad time is if you shop somewhere that the employees are actually a paid a decent living wage and treated with basic human dignity.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Lotta lazy shitheads itt

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

T.S. Smelliot posted:

godDAMN this is cool, can you compare this to Publix or do you have Publix shopping experience? From what my friends/acquaintances from other states and various other countries on this dead gay planet have told me Publix blew their minds when it comes to grocery stores
Ive heard so many good things about Publix but i havent had the pleasure of shopping at one. Ive heard goons say their chicken tendy subs are good

the last time i was in florida i shopped at a winn dixie which was not great but kind of reminded me of Kroger in that they seemed like they were trying at least, and the other one was a piggly wiggly where it was like stepping back into time but not in a good way

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

hathfallen posted:

That street between the store and the parking lot? Yeah, don't bother crossing that poo poo or anything, just wander the gently caress all over it aimlessly.
its the one recurring situation in life where hatred of fat people begins to make sense, because if you spend enough time waiting to drive through you begin to notice a high degree of correllation between people who dont pay attention to their own bodies and people who dont pay attention to anything

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Guy Mann posted:

the only way you're not going to have a bad time is if you shop somewhere that the employees are actually a paid a decent living wage and treated with basic human dignity.

That's the only way I can maintain an erection nowadays

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Aldi rules the one I go to recently redid their checkouts sowhen you're o unloading onto the belt on your left instead of gum and skittles and poo poo to your right its another person unloading onto a belt on their right its so wild.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

whoflungpoop posted:

Ive heard so many good things about Publix but i havent had the pleasure of shopping at one. Ive heard goons say their chicken tendy subs are good

the last time i was in florida i shopped at a winn dixie which was not great but kind of reminded me of Kroger in that they seemed like they were trying at least, and the other one was a piggly wiggly where it was like stepping back into time but not in a good way

I've been to one Piggly Wiggly, I think it was in Ft. Benning, Ga. The are no words to describe how depressing that place was.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I was at price chopper earlier it was a very pleasant shopping experience

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

Wicker Man posted:

I'm the old guy sitting in his truck for what seems like hours at a time in the parking lot. The engine isn't on.

WTF Are they doing? It's not like it doesn't get hot around here - they must be turning their a/c on at some point. Are they trying to end their long, terrible lives inside a car but don't have a garage to do it in? At least some can't be waiting for someone, since I have left before and came back an hour later having forgotten detergent and he's still there.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Guy Mann posted:

or you can shop somewhere like Costco where you have to pay a membership fee and buy food by the gross to make up for the lack of profit margin and have the person at the exit treat you like a criminal as they pore over your receipt

i don't shop at costco so i'm curious, what happens if you just ignore the exit person and keep walking out the door? they can't hold you there

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Like, I like food and poo poo, I like to cook, and I like buying my food, so I want to go to the grocery store. I have to and I want to. But why the gently caress does it suck? Cramped aisles, can never find the specific loving thing I want, can't remember what the gently caress I need for the dickfart of me, long rear end checkout lines with some ugly pissed off cashier. No one to bag my poo poo so the line takes forever, some bitch can't input her phone number right, an awkward wait for the loving debit card to go through without making conversation, pushing a cart out to the car, unloading my loving groceries, finding a place to push the stupid rear end cart, and then going home

and unloading my loving groceries

the gently caress

Just hang in there another 10 years or so when those digital-ID stores come about and you can just walk in and pick stuff out and it bills you

Don't hang in there for 20 years when all jobs are eliminated by such technology and the response of the rich is that the poors can do us all a favor and off themselves

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Guy Mann posted:

the only way you're not going to have a bad time is if you shop somewhere that the employees are actually a paid a decent living wage and treated with basic human dignity.

So literally no store, grocery or otherwise, anywhere in America then?

e: also still rocking the gently caress out to that 1970's grocery store muzak that poo poo is my jam

Toilet Shoes
Aug 22, 2016

by Lowtax

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i don't shop at costco so i'm curious, what happens if you just ignore the exit person and keep walking out the door? they can't hold you there

They'll get really pissy about it, bitch and moan impotently and possibly cancel your membership.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

King Vidiot posted:

e: also still rocking the gently caress out to that 1970's grocery store muzak that poo poo is my jam

Its rare to find stores that still use a muzak subscription.

Did you know certain chains have the "at cost" price encoded on the price tag in letters for whatever reason (to force over worked inventory staff to memorize a loving cypher on top of doing all 6 of the owners stores in a 2 day window)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WQbJ0VFrFQ

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

King Vidiot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV_xEwb0ZiQ&t=2626s

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I wish I loved anything (including my wife) as much as that one cop loved those picked eggs.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Someone earlier in the thread pointed out that, in the membership agreement, you actually give them permission to hold you if you don't let them check the receipt.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

karma_coma posted:

Take my advice as these are words of wisdom and just make your girlfriend go

jfc i haven't been to the grocery store in years

yalls bitches hahahaha

I have hosed more women I've "bumped" into in grocery stores than in bars. Next time your gf comes home from the grocery a little sweaty you should realize I was slamming my big meaty hog up her vag.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Myriarch posted:

WTF Are they doing? It's not like it doesn't get hot around here - they must be turning their a/c on at some point. Are they trying to end their long, terrible lives inside a car but don't have a garage to do it in? At least some can't be waiting for someone, since I have left before and came back an hour later having forgotten detergent and he's still there.

They're hiding from their spouse, whom they hate more then anything.

naem
May 29, 2011

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

I have hosed more women I've "bumped" into in grocery stores than in bars. Next time your gf comes home from the grocery a little sweaty you should realize I was slamming my big meaty hog up her vag.

me too, my ho g man too (I'm a hog man)

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Just wanted to say for the record, I have also had sex.

Opie_Yates
Nov 30, 2010
Publix loving owns and I actually look forward to going there whenever I visit Florida. Here we have a lot of G-stores, my favorites are Trader Joe's, Aldi, Giant and Shop-Rite. G-shopping is fun and relaxing just take your time and lighten up, OP. It also helps to go with someone instead of alone.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Trader Joe's, Costco, Whole Foods and Publix. We just got a Sprouts and a Lucky's is opening up soon. Yeah yeah we have Win Dixie too but those loving suck.
Suck as much as the op

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
*casually strolls away from the olive bar like a chipmunk*

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

emoji posted:

*casually strolls away from the olive bar like a chipmunk*

As someone who sees grocery stores of all banners on a daily basis let me tell you people this:

If you are eating from the salad bar, olive bar or any other loving bar that isn't hot-foods you are taking your life in your own hands.

You know those employees making 10 bucks an hour? They don't give a flying gently caress about what that salad bar looks like underneath those cambro pans.

Moldy air laden with rotting food particles are being constanstly circulated over your salads. Your olives just sit there without refrigeration because the oils and acids in olives make the refrigeration coils rot/rust out in less than a year and noone ever repairs them).

Prepared food from a supermarket is loving disgusting.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Since when do olives need to be refrigerated?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

PromethiumX posted:

Prepared food from a supermarket is loving disgusting.

lol if you don't pay $11.99/lb for olives, peppers, and garlic cloves soaked in oil

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

In case anyone here knows roundys, I've met chairman bob.

He's line 5 foot 2 it was weird af I thought those cardboard cut outs were scaled but he's actually tiny.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
Publix and Trader Joe's are my two favorites for sure. They both have wonderful top notch produce departments. Trader Joe's excels at frozen foods that are actually decent.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

Grocery stores suck because it's where the average American's entitlement and insistence on being pampered and spoiled meets corporate America's mandate to spend as little as possible so they can maximize profits.

You can shop somewhere like Aldis where the groceries are cheap and checkout is fast but you have to bag your own groceries and bring the cart back to the front of the store, or you can shop somewhere like Costco where you have to pay a membership fee and buy food by the gross to make up for the lack of profit margin and have the person at the exit treat you like a criminal as they pore over your receipt, or you can shop at your bougie overpriced "natural" food shoppe of choice where a handful of food costs $20, but the one constant is that the only way you're not going to have a bad time is if you shop somewhere that the employees are actually a paid a decent living wage and treated with basic human dignity.

Publix is employee owned and every single person I've ever encountered working there genuinely seemed to take pride in working there and was happy to help out with anything and it always seemed like as a consequence they have strong brand loyalty

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I was in an Aldi once, it was the closest analogy I can think of to compare it to the grocery store equivalent of dumpster diving behind a Walmart

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Costco is a bad example of the "stand up for your rights maaaan" reciept checker assholes because at least you agree to it in the membership process

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Just grow and hunt for your own food if you don't like grocery stores. People forget about the convenience grocery stores offer, and how entitled you are to use them, and how much loving plastic you waste buying stuff there.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Publix is employee owned and every single person I've ever encountered working there genuinely seemed to take pride in working there and was happy to help out with anything and it always seemed like as a consequence they have strong brand loyalty

Is it actually 'employee owned' or do they have an employee share ownership plan. there's a very big difference.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Walrus posted:

Is it actually 'employee owned' or do they have an employee share ownership plan. there's a very big difference.

Hmm you know what I didn't know so I looked it up, here's a Forbes article mentioning it, does this answer your question?

"The multi-generational Jenkins family owns about 20% of Publix, but employees are the controlling shareholders, with an 80% stake. All staffers who have put in 1,000 work hours and a year of employment receive an additional 8.5% of their total pay in the form of Publix stock."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Which is better? I am not really aware of the distinction

• Locked thread