Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
I feel like for this Canucks team Markstrom is servicable. By the time they're ready to compete again (:lol:) Demko should be ready to take over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wippersnapper posted:

I feel like for this Canucks team Markstrom is servicable. By the time they're ready to compete again (:lol:) Demko should be ready to take over.

Hopefully. Demko is infuriatingly inconsistent. I am starting to doubt he'll be a starter at the NHL level.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Aurora posted:

i'm not sure how to feel about my first hawks game watched this season being this poor

Welcome back
Glad the cats won
Come on hawks

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

holy poo poo that steal by stepan

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ok maybe it wasn't earth shattering, i thought he went through the legs to get it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So the Stars aren't looking very good, in my estimation. Until those shots on goal actually turn into something consistent, we're still not quite clicking the way we should be. Ah well.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

He's been alright as a split time starter, this is his first year as the #1. He's consistently average with a few stretches of outstanding play and the rare stinker or two. He has a penchant for letting in at least one incredibly soft goal a game, but otherwise he's fine. He's not going to win any awards, but he's at worst a slightly below average starter IMO.

He's super weak stick side and with shots along the ice, but has a decent glove and makes up for it with good positioning, amazing puckhandling ability (he's probably the best in the league at that) and being 6'6".

you are the source i trust for canucks takes. thank you

sorry about your team tho :v:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

ThinkTank posted:

Hopefully. Demko is infuriatingly inconsistent. I am starting to doubt he'll be a starter at the NHL level.

Markstrom also looked totally goddamned hopeless season before last, so... we'll see?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Shinjobi posted:

So the Stars aren't looking very good, in my estimation. Until those shots on goal actually turn into something consistent, we're still not quite clicking the way we should be. Ah well.

In my opinion the things the Stars do cause them to shoot at a 1% rate at even strength.

Seriously they've been really unlucky so far... Things will get better.

Team laid a big egg in this 3rd period though. Not nearly good enough tonight.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, I'm fine with them playing like that all season.

Well, they could do more defensively.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aurora posted:

sorry about your team tho :v:

I have come to terms with my lot in this life and the punishment I must endure for indiscretions in a past one.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Yeah, I'm fine with them playing like that all season.

Well, they could do more defensively.

To my eye when they got down on a rather unlucky ES goal and the PP goal, they started to completely break down and go back to the run and gun style from last year. Hitchcock always talks about trusting your system and your work ethic and it didn't happen tonight for Dallas.

We still easily could have had points from this one. If Roussel could hit the broad side of a barn or if the Refs gave the Stars more than 1 PP chance for instance.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PK :siren:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Disrespected :siren:

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

that pk goal was an end to end skyhook jesus

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

ThinkTank posted:

I have come to terms with my lot in this life and the punishment I must endure for indiscretions in a past one.

:lol: at trying to explain away the cruel indiscriminate chaos of a godless universe

also I am pretty comfortable calling the defense 'hapless'

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This was the worst effort of the year for the Stars and they still outplayed the Preds by the analytics by a decent margin. 55% Corsi and expected goals share at even strength.

Wins will come if they keep on playing well.

**Yes I am pretty much just telling myself this to keep my spirit up.. I know the game isn't actually "fair" and teams can get hosed over by the PDO luck.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Suck it Dallas

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

hartman :siren:

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
Hartman! :siren:

Nice shift by the makeshift line.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

drat that was a good move

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JawKnee posted:

:lol: at trying to explain away the cruel indiscriminate chaos of a godless universe

The cup finals loss, riot, subsequent collapse into league laughing stock followed by the Oilers drafting McDavid was enough to convince me that there is some sort of higher power and they have a deep personal dislike of me.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

drat that chance too

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
That's the third open net the Hawks have missed tonight, jeez.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Starsfan posted:

To my eye when they got down on a rather unlucky ES goal and the PP goal, they started to completely break down and go back to the run and gun style from last year. Hitchcock always talks about trusting your system and your work ethic and it didn't happen tonight for Dallas.

We still easily could have had points from this one. If Roussel could hit the broad side of a barn or if the Refs gave the Stars more than 1 PP chance for instance.

Even if Rouss had made that shot the Stars just lost all pressure after the first period. Part of that is getting something across the net, the other part is actually holding onto the puck and not giving it away stupidly. It's still early in the season, and it is a new coach, so I'm not calling the radio drunk or anything, but this start to the season hasn't given me much to cheer for yet. They really got to clean poo poo up.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

^^^ I dunno, they had a few stretched in the 2nd and once in the 3rd where they just dominated and held the zone for extended periods.

Starsfan posted:

Yeah. If they would just chill the gently caress out on the breakout before the puck is out of danger two goals tonight probably don't go in.

The real problem is going to come when they continue to play like complete poo poo in front of Kari out of fear of literally any shot getting to him.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
I'd really like it if Virtanen scored and Ehlers trips over his own stick and is on the Worst Play of the Day tomorrow so that I can pretend Jake was the right choice.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

coyotes look good but 0 goals

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Even if Rouss had made that shot the Stars just lost all pressure after the first period. Part of that is getting something across the net, the other part is actually holding onto the puck and not giving it away stupidly. It's still early in the season, and it is a new coach, so I'm not calling the radio drunk or anything, but this start to the season hasn't given me much to cheer for yet. They really got to clean poo poo up.

every team ever makes bad turnovers. The Stars had like a dozen point blank chances on Pekka Rinne in the 1st and 2nd periods off of bad plays by Nashville and the dude saved them all.

You're never going to coach all of the mistakes out of the team. I feel like Stars fans have been traumatized by years of wretched defense into thinking that only absolute perfection from the defenders is acceptable.

Like the team from 2 years ago that won the western conference was considered bad defensively and they were near the top 10 in least shots / scoring chances allowed in the league. I just don't know how much better than that it's realistic to expect this group of players to get, even with Hitchcock.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

hmmmm

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
Oh Seabrook

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I like that.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

looking forward to the penalty for the failed challenge

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
Seabrook's old, slow rear end might get bailed out by offside.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wild announcers saying "yeah, this is one of those you gotta challenge"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, that looks offside.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Though wait, it bounced off a chicago player

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
Goal stands.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:siren::siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Wippersnapper posted:

I'd really like it if Virtanen scored and Ehlers trips over his own stick and is on the Worst Play of the Day tomorrow so that I can pretend Jake was the right choice.

Ehlers could impale himself on his stick and it still wouldn't make Jake the right choice.

• Locked thread