Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

happyhippy posted:

Hey guys, All Your Base Are Belong To Us!

Check out this brilliant new crazy frog song!

Don't forget Foamy the Squirrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

He's wearing a copy of his own book on a chain around his neck, like a talisman. Like he has to keep reassuring himself he's badass because he wrote a book. Words fail.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Fake it till you make it

Maybe he did. I'm just trying to figure out what he's notable for. Did he burn anyone really well or something?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Fake it till you make it

Maybe he did. I'm just trying to figure out what he's notable for. Did he burn anyone really well or something?

Yeah, himself

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wasn't that Enfield?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Antivehicular posted:

He's wearing a copy of his own book on a chain around his neck, like a talisman. Like he has to keep reassuring himself he's badass because he wrote a book. Words fail.

I'll say it again: he looked waaaaay worse when he was young.

That old picture actually looks a little like my brother in law who's on the verge of needing insulin.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Seanbaby is somehow still funny for being an early internet guy. I'm not sure how he does it

Please post evidence of this.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Please post evidence of this.

https://twitter.com/seanbabydotcom/status/862919803945623552

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

Seanbaby is somehow still funny for being an early internet guy. I'm not sure how he does it
He went to work for other people, which meant working with a team, editors, etc. Other internet famous people tried to keep doing it on their own and got self-indulgent and wrapped up in ego.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Eh, better than a Cracked listicle like I was expecting and funnier than anything that Maddox has ever done or said. A decent joke.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

A solid joke. I laughed.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I have a very fond memory of driving to the country with my dad. I printed out some articles from Maddox’s site after he mentioned hearing about it at work, and I figured they’d be fun to read out loud during the drive. We were cracking up so hard our faces were red, and it felt like we might get into an accident. It’s one of my happiest memories with him.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Fake it till you make it

He was a guy on the internet who could string a few coherent paragraphs together while being mildly funny, during a time when that was kind of a rare and remarkable thing. The bar is higher now that normal people use the internet, though.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I remember reading Maddox when I was a teenager and he gave off this badass persona. Then for some reason he decided to show who he really was. Like he appeared on some TechTV show and it was some awkward, balding, skinny fat guy. It killed his career.

He should have just kept his real identity anonymous. At some point the ease of putting out content would have made enough competition to eliminate him, but he could have made some more bank and not been the laughing stock of the internet.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ugh it's like you can smell him through the internet

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Fake it till you make it

When he started it was a pain in the rear end to set up your own website and hosting was expensive. He just didn't have much competition.

Also at the time media was really sanitized. You had some guy now who would write about famous people and companies and just trash them. Seems mundane now but for 1999 or whatever, it wasn't something people were exposed to much.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

this is pretty sad. Maddox in 2017 should be one of those guys who tells people "haha i used to be pretty famous on the internet like 20 years ago, it was pretty cool" to the amusement of his friends. instead, he's still actually trying to be a famous guy on the internet literally two decades later. it's like seeing some one hit wonder band playing their once famous song at the mall or something

It's like a one hit wonder band being forced to play at parties and bar mitzvahs.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

this is pretty sad. Maddox in 2017 should be one of those guys who tells people "haha i used to be pretty famous on the internet like 20 years ago, it was pretty cool" to the amusement of his friends. instead, he's still actually trying to be a famous guy on the internet literally two decades later. it's like seeing some one hit wonder band playing their once famous song at the mall or something

The sad thing is that he actually got a second chance at fame. His podcast with Dick was halfway decent for awhile.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Niwrad posted:

When he started it was a pain in the rear end to set up your own website and hosting was expensive. He just didn't have much competition.

Also at the time media was really sanitized. You had some guy now who would write about famous people and companies and just trash them. Seems mundane now but for 1999 or whatever, it wasn't something people were exposed to much.

might have been a pain in the rear end but not like it was hard. still, leverages his rudimentary knowledge for nerd cred

lol http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

Numb Three Ers
Jul 7, 2007
What do you mean it's pronouced "numbers"?

PhotoKirk posted:

Don't forget Foamy the Squirrel.

Did you know that foamy the squirrel is still being made? It’s true.

http://illwillpress.com

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I first saw this video after skimming some of Maddox's vintage content, and the complete tonal shift and change of subject matter had my head spinning like a top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE6jy78tV78

For those of you haven't seen it, this is modern Maddox's magnum opus, in which he rants about rampant internet misuse of a certain loaded term. ("You don't know what a CUCK is!")

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Crescent Wrench posted:

I first saw this video after skimming some of Maddox's vintage content, and the complete tonal shift and change of subject matter had my head spinning like a top:

For those of you haven't seen it, this is modern Maddox's magnum opus, in which he rants about rampant internet misuse of a certain loaded term. ("You don't know what a CUCK is!")

didn't his entire falling out with the other podcast losers happen because one of them hosed his ex-girlfriend of 3 years? someones sensitive lol

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Conch Shell Corp posted:

didn't his entire falling out with the other podcast losers happen because one of them hosed his ex-girlfriend of 3 years? someones sensitive lol

Does that mean he went out with her for 3 years or that it's been 3 yeara since they broke up?

Or did thr guy literally steal 3 years of her life?

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Does that mean he went out with her for 3 years or that it's been 3 yeara since they broke up?

they hadn’t dated for three years and he cared enough to destroy his business

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Time Cuck

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Crescent Wrench posted:

:cripes:Oh God, I had forgotten about this video (even though it was only like a year ago). For those who still didn't watch: his reaction to all of the "lol, CUCK!" being thrown around last year wasn't to simply ridicule it, but to make a weird (seemingly unironic?) defense of being a cuck. It's weird as poo poo.

I still laugh at that picture of the crying grandpa.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Finding out Maddox is an actual cuck who makes an impassioned defense of cuckery is legit more heartbreaking than all of the sexual allegations made in the past month or two.

And yet, I’ve known. Somehow, I’ve always known.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
madcux

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
add me to the 'wow maddox was funny as heck when i was 13 then wasn't when i was 15' crew

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

watching other men gently caress his (theoretical) wife is more relatable than anything else he's done

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Verisimilidude posted:

I have a very fond memory of driving to the country with my dad. I printed out some articles from Maddox’s site after he mentioned hearing about it at work, and I figured they’d be fun to read out loud during the drive. We were cracking up so hard our faces were red, and it felt like we might get into an accident. It’s one of my happiest memories with him.

This makes me smile :)

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Verisimilidude posted:

Show your dad the cuck video.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Crescent Wrench posted:

Show your dad the cuck video.

He’s dead now thanks for opening up that old wound you loving rear end in a top hat

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Verisimilidude posted:

He’s dead now thanks for opening up that old wound you loving rear end in a top hat

wow he got cucked pretty hard huh

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
truly time makes cucks of us all

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ayn Randi posted:

truly time makes cucks of us all

I wish this was a thread that lended itself to renaming

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maddox gets a loving F. Vrooooom vrooom I'd rather burn to death than support this hairy piece of poo poo or whatever you know what I'm getting at

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Crescent Wrench posted:

I wish this was a thread that lended itself to renaming

The Trump thread gets renamed all the time and that's a solid title.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

bloodysabbath posted:

Finding out Maddox is an actual cuck who makes an impassioned defense of cuckery is legit more heartbreaking than all of the sexual allegations made in the past month or two.

And yet, I’ve known. Somehow, I’ve always known.

Is he tho? It seems like the crux of his point is that it's just a fetish that the person consensually enjoys so it doesn't really make sense as an insult. Otoh isn't the literal definition just "married dude who got cheated on?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ArbitraryC posted:

Is he tho? It seems like the crux of his point is that it's just a fetish that the person consensually enjoys so it doesn't really make sense as an insult. Otoh isn't the literal definition just "married dude who got cheated on?"

Not being aware of the fact that defending ~the cuck lifestyle~ (or just the term I guess) is going to brand him as a cuck himself is the issue pretty sure. Lack of self-awareness.

• Locked thread