Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 53--
Episode 53: Terror In The Sky II continues where the last episode left off where we were in the middle of chasing Ultimate Weapon. He's a tricky fight but if I use a quick and effective strategy could I beat him? We also explore parts of Midgar. I hope you were liking Shadow Flare because here's some more Shadow Flare!

And if you like my Let's Play here you might want to check out my video on playing the Sims which is sort of a mini-Let's Play in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You could have Mimed Shadow Flare and still cause lots of damage.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 54--
Episode 54: The Linkin Park Episode has me travel through the Ancient Forest and New Threat changed this one up good, especially with the surprise at the end. It's called the Linkin Park episode because of a small anecdote about media in memories attaching themselves together, but I promise the story is not that intrusive.

Scalding Coffee posted:

You could have Mimed Shadow Flare and still cause lots of damage.
Also I need to start using Mime.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That looked like a victory lap compared to Ultima.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 55--
Sorry it's been a little while. My life has been busy and maybe updates will be slow for awhile. I'm trying to get gaming/editing in whenever I can. Anyway, in Episode 55: Return To Midgar we do just that; return to Midgar. We have a lot of laughs and a lot of tears but most importantly we fight the Turks for one final showdown in the tunnels. Who will come out on top?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They certainly fell behind on the power curve.
It looks like those little shutter enemies are moving faster than usual. Fighting them means you either waste a lot of MP or spend ten seconds waiting for them to attack each time.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I like how they added a little animation of Cloud mirroring the player's frustration from not getting that W-Item materia. Just well-executed humor.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 56--
Next up we have Episode 56: CANCELED in which I take on another superboss (if you can call it that) the Curator! This guy hits hard and is no joke even with my high power levels, so we'll see if we can beat him. (Regardless, I should have went into the battle with an All + Barrier materia)

Scalding Coffee posted:

They certainly fell behind on the power curve.
It looks like those little shutter enemies are moving faster than usual. Fighting them means you either waste a lot of MP or spend ten seconds waiting for them to attack each time.
I'm surprised that they move so fast. With those multi-part enemies their AI code is so fragile that I figure changing something that technical would cause the enemy to break.

Daigerus posted:

I like how they added a little animation of Cloud mirroring the player's frustration from not getting that W-Item materia. Just well-executed humor.
Yeah and the mod is full of meta-humour like that. It's good stuff.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well gently caress u 2 game

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A whole lot of nothing.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, that was everything I could have ever hoped for. :allears:

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Please check your inventory to see if they actually made an item called "Nothing!". :allears:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 57--
Episode 57: Sister Ray is the first half of the Sister Ray battles. Cloud and the gang face off against Valiant Clod, the New Threat version of Proud Clod. With this game coming to a close you can guess that the damage levels coming from this thing are at an all-time high. Will I beat it?

Daigerus posted:

Please check your inventory to see if they actually made an item called "Nothing!". :allears:
I did and there's no Nothing item, sadly...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did you look for a moonchild?

I see why no one else ever made a robot with an arm coming out of an arm. It can't use them to aim its cannon. Maybe it was made for grappling.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 58--
Episode 58: Sister Ray II finishes off the Midgar portion and leads us into the final dungeon of the game. I don't remember the fight with Hojo in vanilla but I think it was a little less tricky than what I got. Actually come to think of it, I remember very little details about vanilla despite me playing it a couple years ago.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think Hojo would inflict ailments on everyone.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
I'm disappointed you didn't run into any SOLDIER 1st Class on your run-up to Hojo. That was a fun wake up for me when I played this.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 59--
Episode 59 is here, after long last! There are several reasons for the long delay, the big one being that it is insufferable to record audio in my room without the fan running because this Ontario summer is getting hot! I was also away for over a week on business. But we are finally at the Northern Cave, the final dungeon. Spoiler alert: It's hard.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Those czar cats are just straight bullshit

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Might as well put up barriers for each fight.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

With all these enemies not messing around Holy-Elemental Materia combos in your weapons seems like a good idea at this point!

Also what's with that Grow Lance? A spear that gets stronger with mastered materia in it?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 60--
Dear God, I Want To LIVE is episode 60 of New Threat. I make some serious progress even if it's a grueling journey. We encounter a New Threat boss too!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Those czar cats are just straight bullshit
I'm going to come back later to take them on (and maybe fight every other enemy I skipped over).

Scalding Coffee posted:

Might as well put up barriers for each fight.
Now that I have multiple Materia with the Wall spell this is really practical.

Bellmaker posted:

With all these enemies not messing around Holy-Elemental Materia combos in your weapons seems like a good idea at this point!

Also what's with that Grow Lance? A spear that gets stronger with mastered materia in it?
The Grow Lance I think is called that because it has Triple AP growth. There might be a weapon that grows in power with more Materia on it but that's likely an Ultimate Weapon that I'll get later.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Originally I think the Grow Lance was a mistranslation of Glow (Aura) Lance. But who knows now.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The only thing more fun than fighting new bosses, are recycled swaps that have long animations. Disappointed it didn't have wings or tie more into Crisis Core.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 61--
Episode 61: The Doorstep to Oblivion is up and covers everything just before the final battle. We have a special New Threat boss for us to fight. We also get a special message about some new content that we will pursue later!

EDIT: Video is deprivatized

Scalding Coffee posted:

The only thing more fun than fighting new bosses, are recycled swaps that have long animations.
That said I am glad that the Yin-Yang's animations were toned down a bit in New Threat, especially on that boss.

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 5, 2018

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

deprivate the video?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
At least you saved on the other items when you fought that boss.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 62--
The first part of the final battle begins with Episode 62: The Final Battle!

Scalding Coffee posted:

At least you saved on the other items when you fought that boss.

I'm glad I did because going into this final battle I only have about 20 Dry Ethers and 20 Elixirs which is still plenty but even past these last fights I want to have a healthy stock.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It looks like Ribbons are a newbie trap or a bad idea to use for heavy-hitting bosses, if you can't use shields.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 63--
The second part of the final battle is ready! Episode 63: The Final Battle II pits us against Pinnacle(dot)Sephiroth which is considerably tougher than the first fight. Not saying much, but I do get some game overs.

Scalding Coffee posted:

It looks like Ribbons are a newbie trap or a bad idea to use for heavy-hitting bosses, if you can't use shields.
I think Ribbons are good for random encounters where you might not use any buffs. For bosses though, they are trouble. It seems to me that New Threat rebalances ailments and ailment resistances to make that mechanic way more engaging.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 64--
The final fight with Keter Sephiroth is here with Episode 64: The Final Battle III! He may just be one foe but man he hits hard! Watch out for that Super Nova attack!

Regardless or not if I beat him, the Let's Play is not done yet! Stay tuned for all the extra bonus content lingering in New Threat's world...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Red's level 2 Limit is really good this whole game. He basically never runs out of MP and he tends to hit rather hard every time.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I really need to catch up on the this LP, I fell off somewhere around update 30 I think. Impressive dedication, though, on your part.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
He should be able to stomp the arena challenges at this point.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 65--
Next up is Episode 65: Street Fighter! In this episode we get started with the character sidequests. Tifa's quest takes us to Nibelheim for a one-on-one fight.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Red's level 2 Limit is really good this whole game. He basically never runs out of MP and he tends to hit rather hard every time.

I'm keeping it in mind. Apparently high-level New Threat play involves setting Red to a lower level Limit so that he gets Limit level quicker, which enhances his ultimate weapon I think...

Kurui Reiten posted:

I really need to catch up on the this LP, I fell off somewhere around update 30 I think. Impressive dedication, though, on your part.

I'd appreciate it if you stuck with it! I'm very proud of this LP. Let's hope I can make it to the end. Now that the weather is cooling down I can record audio without a fan blowing at me.

Scalding Coffee posted:

He should be able to stomp the arena challenges at this point.

When you say Arena challenges, do you mean the tournament with 8 rounds? Whatever the case, I'm going to be taking on a lot of those fights soon.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You got a miss, yeah, miss on a reel and it worked for the boss fight. You had that same reel in previous videos and it didn't count. Her Limits don't really make sense unless you got all hit or yeah.

Is Poison still effective on humans?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 66--
Episode 66: Dancing Mad focuses on my fight against Cait Sith #1, a New Threat exclusive boss. As I say in the video, there were some audio problems but I make do.

Scalding Coffee posted:

You got a miss, yeah, miss on a reel and it worked for the boss fight. You had that same reel in previous videos and it didn't count. Her Limits don't really make sense unless you got all hit or yeah.

Is Poison still effective on humans?

I'm guessing most of them still are, even the bosses. I'll keep that in mind, especially since there are still human foes to fight.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The game doesn't like loading people up with too much magic. A high max HP makes a difference. Regen makes a difference when people are hit with ailments and take a bit of damage.
Can you load up a striker with so much attack and HP, to tank their MP?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 20, 2018

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
You know, I was kind of wondering if you were ever going to use Aeris again, considering all the trouble you put yourself through to revive her.

Does she actually have any significant lines or anything if you keep her in your party after she recovers from being impaled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

KieranWalker posted:

You know, I was kind of wondering if you were ever going to use Aeris again, considering all the trouble you put yourself through to revive her.

Does she actually have any significant lines or anything if you keep her in your party after she recovers from being impaled?

She has a few lines here and there; best one is Under Junon.