Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Being capable of retaliation doesn't necessarily make you a threat, either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

yeah I eat rear end posted:

They stop being a threat when you wipe out their entire leadership and leave only the starving victims of their regime who will want aid, not to nuke us back.

Ok, but how are they a threat in the first place without ICBMs and functioning nukes?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

tsa posted:

NK is a threat to their immediate neighbors and probably not to the mainland US at this time. If their progress continues they would be definite threat to the US in relatively short order. Threats do not need to be immediate to be threats! Hopefully this was of some help!!

By that logic literally every nation on earth and also space aliens need to be nuked in order to prevent them from becoming a threat some time in the vague future.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also which of their neighbors are they going to invade, exactly? China?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I'll probably just hole up in a Subway and eat fresh until things blow over. Even with a loss of power/refrigeration you know that meat and cheese ain't gonna spoil.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

tsa posted:

NK is a threat to their immediate neighbors and probably not to the mainland US at this time. If their progress continues they would be definite threat to the US in relatively short order. Threats do not need to be immediate to be threats! Hopefully this was of some help!!
I doubt that. I think kim jong un wants to ensure we don't knock him off like we've done to hussein, gadafi, bin laden, etc. In his mind, being somewhat nuclear capable is the ace up his sleeve to ensure his personal survival. There's no serious intent of launching at us.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I doubt that. I think kim jong un wants to ensure we don't knock him off like we've done to hussein, gadafi, bin laden, etc. In his mind, being somewhat nuclear capable is the ace up his sleeve to ensure his personal survival. There's no serious intent of launching at us.

"in his mind"?

It's a pretty legit idea considering recent events

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I say that to indicate that it greatly differs from the narrative that he's an unstable lunatic who's one twitter insult away from trying to start a nuclear war

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Who What Now posted:

Ok, but how are they a threat in the first place without ICBMs and functioning nukes?

Like the other guy said, they will have them eventually even if they don't right now. They are not worthy of being on the same level of power as us considering their various crimes against humanity and must be destroyed.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

cool attempt at trolling

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Like the other guy said, they will have them eventually even if they don't right now. They are not worthy of being on the same level of power as us considering their various crimes against humanity and must be destroyed.

So obviously we need to commit crimes against humanity in order to stop them from maybe possible being a threat someday in the distant future.

Hey, Brexit seems to making the UK pretty unpredictable and on edge, and they have actual weapons to use against us, when should we vaporize London?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Who What Now posted:

So obviously we need to commit crimes against humanity in order to stop them from maybe possible being a threat someday in the distant future.

Hey, Brexit seems to making the UK pretty unpredictable and on edge, and they have actual weapons to use against us, when should we vaporize London?

England doesn't regularly threaten to nuke us so your comparison makes no sense.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Not yet they don't, you mean. And can we really take the chance that they aren't secretly plotting against us? I think not!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Not yet they don't, you mean. And can we really take the chance that they aren't secretly plotting against us? I think not!

Possibilities like this are why we need to establish a global government with the USA leading it. If one of our controlled countries start getting rowdy they could just be isolated in every way until they fall back in line.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Little late for that when nukes are already dropping on your town!

France has active nuclear ICBMs right this second. They could have launched just minutes ago and you'd never know until you were already engulfed in hellfire.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Little late for that when nukes are already dropping on your town!

France has active nuclear ICBMs right this second. They could have launched just minutes ago and you'd never know until you were already engulfed in hellfire.

Having nukes and actively threatening the world with them are different things. Yes France might nuke us but they have shown no indication of wanting to do so, unlike north korea.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
France has the capability to do so, unlike North Korea. And lulling your enemy into a false sense of security by pretending to be an ally for decades is exactly what our worst enemies would do. Maybe try reading a little book called The Art of War???????

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Who What Now posted:

France has the capability to do so, unlike North Korea. And lulling your enemy into a false sense of security by pretending to be an ally for decades is exactly what our worst enemies would do. Maybe try reading a little book called The Art of War???????

We'd probably have to attack nuclear countires like france to establish the global government so i don't see why you think i'd think attacking them is a bad idea, but we have to do it in baby steps and take out the direct threats first.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tsa posted:

Actually it's pretty likely precious metals would be acceptable as trade because bartering gets old fast and things that have had near universal value for literally all of human history will probably still be useful as an intermediary for trade. Like if you were to randomly pick times and places to go to in the past, it's incredibly unlikely you would end up in a time or place where gold and similar metals were not considered valuable.

Like there's a huge range of apocalypse scenarios, sure you can think of some situations where it would be worthless but far more would include situations where having a bunch of gold or whatever would be really good, because again, we would be moving away from pure bartering as fast as humanely possible. Food, water, and gas are really heavy in useful amounts, it's dumb to think that those would be the preferred stores of value instead of something you traded for.

Basically any smart person actually preparing for a breakdown in society would definitively include it in their stash if only as a hedge, along with ammo and other things that might hold value while being small and easily transportable.

Split the difference and get your apocalypse gold from Aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/free-shipping-20pcs-lot-1-oz-Credit-Suisse-Gold-bars-24k-Pure-Gold-Plated-Layered-Bullion/32244683281.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Business-Gift-For-999-Real-Gold-Bar-Deutsche-Reichsbank-Gold-Bar-German-Iron-Ingot-Bar-OZ/32800488764.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pol...2577155365.html

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

We'd probably have to attack nuclear countires like france to establish the global government so i don't see why you think i'd think attacking them is a bad idea, but we have to do it in baby steps and take out the direct threats first.

NK is not a direct threat, it's a potential future threat, remember? Please try to keep your stories straight.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

maybe we can't just nuke places cause we wanna and expect it to work out, but get this: maybe we can

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Here's a higher-order question: Why should the USA be the one who establishes the global government?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Who What Now posted:

this. the suggestion to kill millions of people now, so that fewer hypothetical future people don’t die is paranoid and ridiculous, these arguments can’t be in good faith. regime stability is in everyone’s best interest at the moment anyhow, an NK collapse would insanely gently caress with the whole region and pale the aftermath of the east / west Germany split

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 7, 2018

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I've prepped by buying 950 axes, welding them all together and extending them from a very large swing with a trigger system that in case of nuclear war will let me axe myself directly in my own goddamn balls with maximum force and precision.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i havent bought more guns since the last change of administration but i still have way more than i need to force my neighborhood to barter their daughters for their lives

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Nessus posted:

Here's a higher-order question: Why should the USA be the one who establishes the global government?

because I'm a US citizen and want my country to win, obviously (e: also we're the best)

Who What Now posted:

NK is not a direct threat, it's a potential future threat, remember? Please try to keep your stories straight.

again, they are going to be if we don't stop them. Their leadership needs to be destroyed for their own good

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Who What Now posted:

By that logic literally every nation on earth and also space aliens need to be nuked in order to prevent them from becoming a threat some time in the vague future.

Not wrong. We won't be safe until everyone is dead. And I mean EVERYONE.

This one weird trick also ends world poverty, inequality, etc.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

again, they are going to be if we don't stop them. Their leadership needs to be destroyed for their own good

Is English not your first language? Do you not know what "direct" means? Because I can point you to some online resources you can use to help study up! :)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Is English not your first language? Do you not know what "direct" means? Because I can point you to some online resources you can use to help study up! :)

For a direct threat to exist, a threat has to be made. North korea has made such threats and at least possibly has the means to act on them. France has not.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm not a prepper, but I am mentally ill. I like to camp and do outdoor things so I have my camping gear and all. Then one time in 2015 I went full blown manic. I don't really remember what it felt like or what I was doing although I remember speeding on the county roads to try to get a cop to pull me over so I could dance with them. :shrug:

Apparently I got paranoid or something (I honestly don't remember) because I now have some survival gear. I don't fully remember purchasing it but I got some stuff off of Amazon. The pic below shows mostly camping gear but some other weird stuff like gas mask filters and a trauma pack.

This is maybe 75% of the stuff I have. This pic was taken in 2015.

I also own a lot of guns. Maybe 15. I should not be allowed to own guns. I'll go ahead and be the first to admit that.

Send me a bag of stuff, I’m nervous and have nothing but a blanket and some junk in my car

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

For a direct threat to exist, a threat has to be made. North korea has made such threats and at least possibly has the means to act on them. France has not.

A six year old can threaten to kick your rear end but that doesn't make them a direct threat.

Well, maybe they would be to you, specifically, but not to a normal adult.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lucky Guy posted:

im the wiifit scale

Staying fit is very important in a survival situation. That 1 hour a day of Wii hula hooping will be the difference between outrunning a bear or being his LUNCH!!! :DDDD

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If the apocalypse looks imminent, my number one priority will be drugs.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

^^ That's how one of the survivors in The Stand went out. He took a bunch of heroin and just peaced out

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
No amount of prepping will save you so you might as well make your last few days/hours/minutes/seconds awesome.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Who What Now posted:

A six year old can threaten to kick your rear end but that doesn't make them a direct threat.

Well, maybe they would be to you, specifically, but not to a normal adult.

If the six year old was actively building the means to kill me every day for the past several years, the analogy might work, but that is pretty unlikely. They have a clear goal that no sanctions or diplomacy will stop, and if anyone deserved a preemptive nuking it is them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

If the six year old was actively building the means to kill me every day for the past several years, the analogy might work, but that is pretty unlikely. They have a clear goal that no sanctions or diplomacy will stop, and if anyone deserved a preemptive nuking it is them.

lol, you're terrified of children.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Who What Now posted:

lol, you're terrified of children.

children with nuclear weapons, sure, as you should be also

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
NK doesn't have nuclear weapons that could reliably strike the mainland US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Who What Now posted:

NK doesn't have nuclear weapons that could reliably strike the mainland US.

For someone who accused me of not understanding english I really don't understand how you aren't grasping my point yet. Maybe they don't, but they will if we don't mercilessly slaughter them. Does it help to spell it out like that for you

• Locked thread