Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Someone on the GameFAQs message boards got a lot of attention for posting Goatse, so I also posted Goatse. I was 12 and I hadn't learned the difference between good attention and bad attention yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mariana Horchata posted:

Caro almost got eaten by Syrian Goro
caro's permaban got overturned by lowtax, i want him to post here again

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Starmen.net in 2001. I posted a lot there for a few months and kinda forgot about it I guess, many years later I was relieved to see that they'd lost/scrapped the database they had in those days.

A couple years later I got on the Animal Crossing Central boards looking for people to trade furniture with. Then universal codes became a thing and the trading scene on there died pretty much overnight.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i posted fanfic on the league of legends forun

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Cheatplanet.com. I posted in the final fantasy forum and was a mod there at the age of 13. That was in 1999.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Dfworld.com is the first forums I remember posting on, around 1998 or 99. They were dedicated to the greatest FPS ever, Delta Force.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I slag on "Web 2.0" as much as anyone, but yeah...

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Probably the Warpig paintball forum in the mid-late 90s.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

get that OUT of my face posted:

caro's permaban got overturned by lowtax, i want him to post here again

no way...

no way

mind the walrus posted:

I slag on "Web 2.0" as much as anyone, but yeah...

for real, even for 2001 that doesnt look right despite being proto social media

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
The interplay forums in like 1997. I made a lot of posts about farts and pants-making GBS threads. Everybody hated me.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

I didn't get into any forums until I was 19. Posted at pointlesswasteoftime.com before it became Cracked. Ironically, I had been reading SA before I discovered PWoT, I just didn't clue in that there were forums for like a year, and then it took until I had my own credit card to actually register.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Mammal Sauce posted:

Probably the Warpig paintball forum in the mid-late 90s.

oh my god

theres a name i havent heard in a long time

i posted there when i got my autococker lmao

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Macgamer. I won Deus Ex by being the only entrant into a dystopian fiction contest.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'm pretty sure it was a forum for the text game materia magica (then known as moongate) where I'd post a lot of really cringe-inducing stuff about how they should improve the game and trying to get the admins to like me. In my defense I was like 13. I also was on a small forum for my trophy bass 2 "clan" for a while.

Then when I got to college my roommate was an admin on newgrounds and got me to post there for a few weeks until someone else down the hall introduced me to SA and roped me in to laughing at/empty quoting his posts in fyad in an attempt to get the people there to like him more and I haven't really been involved with any other forum since.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gorewar posted:

The interplay forums in like 1997. I made a lot of posts about farts and pants-making GBS threads. Everybody hated me.
you were destined to post here

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
It wasn't really a forum. It was a sort of discussion board, kind of like a BBS, discussing Genetic Engineering, on the MIT mainframe in 1976. I used it to bother the grad students and get information for a report I was writing.

Edit: Jesus Christ, that happened 41 years ago.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The Rotten Tomatoes forums, circa 2004 when I was about 14. I don't know why, I didn't even watch that many movies at the time.

But it was a small but active forum with all sorts of drama, manufactured for attention and otherwise. Well-known posters had secret troll accounts, moderators played favorites, people faked their deaths to see other poster's reactions, posters had beefs with each other, all sorts of dramabombs. And also some good discussions sprinkled in. I don't know when Rotten Tomatoes shut down their forums exactly, since I had long since left, but I know they haven't had them for years.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

Mother fuckin Neopets back in the year 2K

Oh, Neopets. My best friend and I were loving obsessed with Neopets when we were 12. You could actually unintentionally learn a lot about the internet on that site back then, such as what phishing scams and stuff were. Better that the kiddos got scammed then and got their neopets account emptied than got scammed later and got their bank account emptied.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Macrowave Oven posted:

I got doxxed by Caro.

That would actually freak me the gently caress out

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
For me it was an AOL Channel called Black Bayou from about 96 to 99. It was a role-playing group, I was heavily into that for about 3 years. After that it was my EQ Server Druzzil Ro's forum in 2002. Shortly thereafter I discovered SA and lurked for years before registering.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
GameFAQs in 2001 or so? Posted on that from middle school to high school. I went back and looked at the old forum I posed on a year or two ago, and saw a bunch of usernames I remembered from back in the day. That was kind of weird.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
Slashdot forums in 1999. I was eleven. It completely killed my sense of humor and I still can't make jokes.

If you are interested in donating a humor gland to my dry, ravaged body, please pm me,i can pay you in weird creepy "Natalie Portman covered in hot grits" references (she was 12 when this was a meme, on Slashdot)

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Ponies Ist Krieg posted:

Looking back I don't have a clue how I read that (I stopped after a while) or how it got so popular they had paperback versions of it in stores.

It was perfect for the time. A ton of youngins got into Anime/Manga since the downloading scene exploded in 2000 with irc/ftp/dc++.

This was also a period when webcomics got popular of course. Combine that with Fred-chan having just the right artstyle and themes, the result is, superficially at least, him living the dream of being a real manga artist.

Megatokyo was less about quality, more of a cheering the underdog on/"if he can do it so can I" thing.

I remember dropping it when Caston quit because it stopped being a gag comic and took its idiotic storyline deadly serious, which is probably when you stopped.

I will say this though, Fred-chan was WAY ahead of the curve when it came to nerd meta humor.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

froward posted:

Slashdot forums in 1999. I was eleven. It completely killed my sense of humor and I still can't make jokes.

If you are interested in donating a humor gland to my dry, ravaged body, please pm me,i can pay you in weird creepy "Natalie Portman covered in hot grits" references (she was 12 when this was a meme, on Slashdot)

I can never tell if the internet circa 2000 was absolutely chock full of pedos, or just chock full of edgy teenagers who thought pedo jokes were funny.

Ponies Ist Krieg
Dec 10, 2017

Sucrose posted:

I can never tell if the internet circa 2000 was absolutely chock full of pedos, or just chock full of edgy teenagers who thought pedo jokes were funny.

Welp, I can assure you the foxtrot chat room and weird capcom fan boards definitely had real pedos I had to dodge more then once. I got kind of adept at it, because that was a skill for 12 year olds online back then.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
I first started posting in horrible garbage dumps for lamebrains like the bioware and/or anarchy online forums when I was about 13 years old. I was a real cool dude in anarchy online. but I remember getting flamed hard on the bioware forums over speculation about the original KOTOR's game design. flamed as in stalked from thread to thread and driven into the ground with rigorous and relentless professionalism by some dude called VGLN for the couple of disconnected run on sentences I had managed to crap out. needless to say i was hooked on forums from that day forward.

I discovered sa pretty early in like 2000 but I only learned sa had actual forums 5 or 6 years later.

Zane fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 18, 2018

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Posted on a weezer messageboard about what I thought was a rough draft of a new weezer song called "Better Off Alone" and wondered if anyone else wanted to hear a full finished version of the song. "Better Off Alone" was an Alice Deejay song that they recorded a minute of themselves playing as a joke. I was not aware of the song and so I wasn't in on the joke. Several people responded to my thread by laughing at me and telling me I was a dumb rear end in a top hat. I think it made for a good introduction to the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L5iGS4Cl9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgs9QUtWc3M

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Back in 2000ish I was posting a lot on the animenation forums. Oh, and gaia online after that.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Its a tossup between an old forum my brother set up for his Battle.net channel, or the Evercrest forums. I think a few people from Evercrest migrated to SA after the webcomic stopped.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
Some combination of AOL forums for AOL games before they dumped them and most vanished and a precious few moved to the general web to keep existing and usenet.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i was arguing about whether or not wedge was a coward in the aol star wars forums then i joined the club where you pretend you're in a fighter squadron and play custom missions in x-wing

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I am proud to have switched from posting worthless lovely memes to increase post count to posting worthless lovely jokes for literally no reason, it is an honorable change :hai:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

say no to bats posted:

Some combination of AOL forums for AOL games before they dumped them and most vanished and a precious few moved to the general web to keep existing and usenet.

free battletech and gemstone was the poo poo back in the day.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Sucrose posted:

The Rotten Tomatoes forums, circa 2004 when I was about 14. I don't know why, I didn't even watch that many movies at the time.

But it was a small but active forum with all sorts of drama, manufactured for attention and otherwise. Well-known posters had secret troll accounts, moderators played favorites, people faked their deaths to see other poster's reactions, posters had beefs with each other, all sorts of dramabombs. And also some good discussions sprinkled in. I don't know when Rotten Tomatoes shut down their forums exactly, since I had long since left, but I know they haven't had them for years.

Someone faking their death to get attention on a Rotten Tomatoes message board is the funniest thing I’ve heard in 2018. How many bad decisions get someone to that point?

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
The Metal Hammer forums as a teenager. Got death threats for describing the Murderdolls as "Busted with louder amps".

That place was amazingly full of drama. One girl was full-on stalking the guitarist from the rather unremarkable metalcore band Chimaria and got a massive tattoo of the bands lovely logo down her entire arm.

Another poster turned out to be at least twice the age he claimed to be and had been soliciting nudes from underage girls. The resulting drama actually made it to the magazine's Wikipedia page for a while.

Then I registered on the Popjustice forums and within a week I ate a ban for liking the "wrong" Radiohead album.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

sugar free jazz posted:

I am proud to have switched from posting worthless lovely memes to increase post count to posting worthless lovely jokes for literally no reason, it is an honorable change :hai:

It's a big step up unironically.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Axeman Jim posted:

Then I registered on the Popjustice forums and within a week I ate a ban for liking the "wrong" Radiohead album.

so a radiohead album then

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

Enhasa.net, a videogames forum made by a highschool friend populated mainly by us and his other highschool friends but more importantly, his fellow non denominational Christian youth group members. Eventually there was some church related drama I was never privy to (I wasn't part of the congregation) and it sorta faded away.

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
Not quite forums but I engaged with local dialup BBSes when I was younger. Anyone here from Isles of Shae or Realm of Legends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

Peanut Butter posted:

BZPower, the Bionicle fan site. AFAIK it still exists, somehow. Thinking back the whole place was like half kids and half creepy loser collectors who took it way too seriously.

Holy balls. While in job hunting limbo I somehow got huge into collecting Bionicle and used bzpower as a my resource. I did find it odd that the reviewers/community were very fixated on Technic connector piece coloring.

• Locked thread