Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naem
May 29, 2011

Vato posted:

If you are a 'qualified' breeder, I would suppose you've been through this situation a few times. Not every baby is (and I don't know the correct terminology) able to thrive. And I'd also suppose you produce quite a few sickly puppies or kittens or whatever if you are breeding, because purebred domestic animals tend to have a lot of health problems to begin with, and also there are infant mortality rates for every species that reproduces, right? So, I'd think, if it were me -- which it wouldn't be -- but if it were, I'd know already that some of these dogs won't make it straight out the gate, and I'd have a non-getting-eaten-alive euthanasia option already.

No no don't be silly, you'd have a turtle pit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Just chuckn' em in there

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

OlmanRiver posted:

What would you have done with the sick puppy then? Cried as it dies over 3 days then bury it?

Drowning it was probably more humane then that.

You keep saying "drowning it" "it drowned" etc.

How exactly is it that you think a small defenseless animal dropped into a tank containing a large, hungry, snapping turtle dies?

Just curious.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

EimiYoshikawa posted:

How exactly is it that you think a small defenseless animal dropped into a tank containing a large, hungry, snapping turtle dies?

Just curious.

It drowns in its own blood when its lungs hemorrhage from being snapped in half

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Just curious.

this. if the dude had drowned a extra puppy in his home, its creepy and gross but whatever. this dude fed a puppy to a snapper in a class room. those things RIP apart and alot of times the prey doesnt die quick. there is humane ways to kill hosed up breeding off spring. that isnt one of them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

People that feed live animals (maybe not bugs) to reptiles are hosed in the head and very obviously get off on it.

Getting eaten by a snapping turtle would be one of the worst ways to go too. I saw one eat a mouse once and it just ripped its rear end and back legs off and the thing lived for a while and tried to swim away

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

veni veni veni posted:

People that feed live animals (maybe not bugs) to reptiles are hosed in the head and very obviously get off on it.

Getting eaten by a snapping turtle would be one of the worst ways to go too. I saw one eat a mouse once and it just ripped its rear end and back legs off and the thing lived for a while and tried to swim away

I think most of us in this thread have seen that gif at one time or another over the years.

There's a reason I went to snapping turtles as being a nightmare creature to threaten someone with, despite my living somewhere they don't in real life and thus not having a personal connection to draw upon, and having a variety of other things one could threaten someone with that would be horrifying to contemplate.

I'd almost forgotten that gif, too, until I watched a documentary on the West Memphis Three last year, wherein it was found that the "satanic torture and mutilation" the original autopsy believed were responsible for the stomach-churning wounds found on the child victims' bodies were actually...snapping turtles going to town once they were tossed, likely already dead, into a nearby body of water.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it was that gif. Although I made the mistake of trying to look it up again and it looks like thats pretty much what they always do. They just rip prey in half and let it bleed out over the next minute or whatever. I've always opted out on watching that poo poo irl and the people I knew as a kid that did it were loving weirdos. Like, just stick a humanely killed rat in there you loving lunatics :wtf: it'll eat it just the same.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

But yeah, count getting ripped in half and then drowning with my guts hanging out as one of the top 5 ways I hope I don't end up going. Probably not the best way to end a sick puppy.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Hell, I don't even think most people would have an issue if he, like, gassed the already-dying puppy painlessly (heck, hook up engine exhaust to a sealed cardboard box or something), then dropped it in the tank (ideally not in front of his students, wtf). There are a ton of ways to cheaply and painlessly euthanize a small animal. He's a science teacher. This was pure sadistic entertainment for him.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
To play devil's advocate here for a moment, it was entirely logical to let that illegally-kept snapping turtle eviscerate a living, sickly puppy in front of a group of students after school :eng101: prove me wrong

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

but don’t you guys understand, gruesome violence is a part of nature and therefore belongs in the classroom!

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Yeah, if you really think about it, suffering is natural so we should always strive to make more.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I would argue that it was illogical, because the puppy didn't actually belong to any of the children, and thus they had no rational interest in it not being eaten. Instead, he could have taken the own puppy of the student with the lowest marks and fed that to the turtle as a motivation to work harder in the future, thus accomplishing both a biological and moral lesson at the same time! :eng101:

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

What do snapping turtles eat in the wild? Do snakes eat mice in the wild? It is weird, when you think about it...makes me want to watch that movie "Fantastic Planet" again.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
*grabs nerds fist and hits nerd with it*
stop naturing yourself. stop naturing yourself

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Vato posted:

What do snapping turtles eat in the wild? Do snakes eat mice in the wild? It is weird, when you think about it...makes me want to watch that movie "Fantastic Planet" again.

they sit on the bottom of ponds with their jaws agape and use their wiggly pink tongue to lure in small fish who think its a worm. I think they also eat frogs, birds, and small mammals as the opportunity presents itself

seeing a snapping turtle strike at something up close is pretty terrifying, they are deceptively fast and their necks seem impossibly long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-etGu9Y8blM

skip to 1:15 for the good part

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 17, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vato posted:

Pretty sure they eat fish/whatever is unfortunate enough to swim in front of them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Hell, I don't even think most people would have an issue if he, like, gassed the already-dying puppy painlessly (heck, hook up engine exhaust to a sealed cardboard box or something), then dropped it in the tank (ideally not in front of his students, wtf). There are a ton of ways to cheaply and painlessly euthanize a small animal. He's a science teacher. This was pure sadistic entertainment for him.

Yeah those are the to things that out him as a nutter. If he had humanely killed it and fed it to the turtle in privacy the whole thing would be downgraded to "sort of weird"

E: Whoops too much double posting sorry.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

free hubcaps posted:

they sit on the bottom of ponds with their jaws agape and use their wiggly pink tongue to lure in small fish who think its a worm. I think they also eat frogs, birds, and small mammals as the opportunity presents itself

seeing a snapping turtle strike at something up close is pretty terrifying, they are deceptively fast and their necks seem impossibly long

Well, I mean, I don't blame the turtle for any of this, of course. If I were a snapping turtle I'm sure I'd eat a puppy as well.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Vato posted:

quote:

Snapping turtles are omnivores and will eat a whole bunch of stuff. In the wild, they'll eat water plants, fish, frogs, pollywogs, newts, bugs, snails, worms, and snakes. They'll even eat a small mammal or a baby duck!

They also LOVE the taste of human flesh, be it fingers, toes, and other...dangling...bits of meat, whether it's attached to a live body or a dead one, and tearing chunks of flesh out of any other large animal that won't fight back or run away, which generally means carcasses, particularly pork when they can get it.

So they'll eat almost anything they can get a hold of which can't fight back or run away fast enough.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Vato posted:

depends on the snake. but yeah, mostly rodents. snapping turtles are opportunistic scavengers and carnivores.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

They also LOVE the taste of human flesh, be it fingers, toes, and other...dangling...bits of meat, whether it's attached to a live body or a dead one, and tearing chunks of flesh out of any other large animal that won't fight back or run away, which generally means carcasses, particularly pork when they can get it.

So they'll eat almost anything they can get a hold of which can't fight back or run away fast enough.

its probably the motion that sets them off. thats how frogs are.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

EimiYoshikawa posted:

So like us humans! Aww...

naem
May 29, 2011

Vato posted:

Snapping turtles eat fish, frogs, and might opportunistically snap up a mouth sized baby ducking in one gulp- killing it near instantly- given the opportunity.

Puppies don't live in water and turtles don't typically go after prey as large as themselves, and there aren't many situations in nature where a turtle is starved and then a large land mammal is trapped in a glass box, forcing one to bite hunks of the other alive, in front of horrified minors

Nature can be plenty cruel but this was a man made scenario and that guy is a real doody-face

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

EimiYoshikawa posted:

this. id be ok with this, though a little weirdered out.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

karl pilkington really needs to drop the dead weight and get his own show now that he's travel show is done

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

free hubcaps posted:

but don’t you guys understand, gruesome violence is a part of nature and therefore belongs in the classroom!

A snapping turtle for every classroom imo. It's hardened shell will reflect bullets while it's sharp beak will rip and tear.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
If the students had guns this wouldn't have happened

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

myDad posted:

If the students had guns this wouldn't have happened

If the students knew how to breed turtle-eating puppies we wouldn't be in this mess! What is all this emphasis on STEM good for anyway?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if turtle dogs had guns but the turtle was a bullet?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. id be ok with this, though a little weirdered out.

Well, yeah, it wouldn't be optimal, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to watch (or listen), but it is true that the turtle didn't do anything, well, wrong, or bad. It's an animal. The wrong here was all born from the capability for intellect nestled within the (likely to be ex-)teacher's rotten brain.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do you guys not know how we deal with invasive species in the us because we don't ship the animal off to where it's supposed to be

the turtle eating a dog didn't have anything to do with this lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t think anyone is as concerned with the turtle as they are the teacher.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The turtle is (was) scary, but the teacher is worrisome.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its probably the motion that sets them off. thats how frogs are.

The interesting thing is that while their primary hunting methodology is ambush hunting, luring prey in (or waiting for it pass by), then striking with blinding speed and power (and it's just the alligator snappers that have the wiggly-worm-mimicking tongues they use to lure prey in, non-alligator snappers don't), they also go out and seek immobile prey like plants, snails, clams and freshwater sponges. So it's not just motion-based like some animals do, and, obviously, they aren't even pure carnivores, they're technically omnivores, they just like meat a lot more.

As horrible as they are, they're also pretty fascinating, too, obviously, even to non-psychopaths (I think...).

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

EimiYoshikawa posted:

The turtle is (was) scary, but the teacher is worrisome.

Yeah, he's happy about the imminent suffering here.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You shouldn't feed puppies to turtles in front of kids. That's weird and dumb.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeahhhhhh what chain of events leads to a teacher of children going okay to this

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Flyball posted:

Yeah, he's happy about the imminent suffering here.

You know he had that same poo poo eating grin every time some kid squirmed and he got to give the “nature is cruel” speech. Everyone who loves live feeding keeps a copy in their back pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

marijuanamancer posted:

Yeahhhhhh what chain of events leads to a teacher of children going okay to this

Psychopathy. I'll bet he's done much worse in private.

• Locked thread