Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
I think it was was Golden Axe on my cousin's mega drive.

First console I owned was a Saturn and I got like 10 games with it. Not sure why I got so many but this was (I think) '97 and the Saturn was already in trouble in Europe so they were probably giving them away. Most notable of these was for sure sonic jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Donkey Kong arcade was the first game I've played. Manic Miner and Space Invaders on the ZX Spectrum the first games I owned.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zaxxon and Donkey Kong for the Colecovision. I died in DK so many times because jumping required you to press two buttons simultaneously and I sucked at that as a kid

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

U-DO Burger posted:

Zaxxon and Donkey Kong for the Colecovision. I died in DK so many times because jumping required you to press two buttons simultaneously and I sucked at that as a kid

What? No it didn’t. You press the left side button.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kevyn posted:

What? No it didn’t. You press the left side button.

oh, really? huh, must've been a different game with that control scheme.

e: thinking about it, i was definitely pinching the side buttons together to jump in dk. child-me must've just misunderstood the controls. no wonder i sucked at that game lol

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 18, 2019

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

For the PC, Freddy's Rescue Roundup. It came in the "Entertainment Sampler" bundle for my Dad's IBM PS/2 way back in the mid-to-late '80s.

Console wise, Super Mario Bros. I think my first exposure to it was when an older cousin brought her NES over to my grandparents' house when I was seven. I was instantly hooked and have loved the NES Mario games ever since.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

Zaxxon, Turbo and Space Fury on the same console for me. I never got much of anywhere, but they were still great fun. Unfortunately, my father bought the CV on release at full price. That was definitely the sort of thing that came up during divorce negotiations a year or two later.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
The Colecovision was a great system to get started on because the games were so cheap. I was too young at the time to know about a video game crash, I just knew my parents were buying me tons of games. I know now it’s because they were like five bucks a pop.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
The first game I remember playing was the original commander Keen. I couldn't read at the time, so I came up with a bullshit head Canon that it was some kid at summer camp doing rad Calvin and Hobbes type stuff. (I did not know who Calvin and Hobbes were at the time. I was 4.)

I hadn't thought of or found it until I found this thread. Turns out the entire anthology is on steam for 1.50, so it's time to shoot some aliens and eat lollipops.

And I'm diabetic. Hold the lollipops.

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCSQd0eJKQQ

Parsec. Except I couldn't read yet so I called it 'Extra Life' because, well, that's a thing you get, and by the time I could our TI99 had blown itself up. It took me years of Googling to figure out what it actually was.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I don't remember exactly what I played first because by the time I was able to mash buttons in relation to whatever was going on in the game, the SNES was just around the corner and we had the usual stuff ranging from the Mega Drive, Master System & NES to relative obscurities such as the Vectrex (which if I'm not mistaken was obscure to the point where it was rarer than rocking-horse poo poo) all around the house.

I only remember one game from the Vectrex, and it was Spike -- if anything I only remember that because of the weird voices ("EEK, HELP! SPIKE!" "OH NO! MOLLY!") which stood out way more than the actual gameplay, which was a weird sort of faux-3D perspective Donkey Kong-esque thing with platforms and ladders and that. While I have fond memories of Spike, it probably wasn't the first game I ever played; I have a suspicion that was something on the Master System with all the bright colours and music getting my attention, most likely Shinobi or Alex Kidd in Miracle World, both of which are loving brutal first choices for someone who can't even tie their own shoes.

First game I played which was actually mine, though, was Super Mario Land for the Game Boy. That and Tetris, of course. Everyone had Tetris!

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I've still got my Vectrex including box and 8 boxed games! Too bad the controller is in pretty bad shape.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
my first game came with the C64 I got for my 7th birthday, the music has been in my head ever since
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh4Fh_HvVoE

the first game I bought, based purely on the screenshots on the back, was this horrible pile of poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIjM3mwyTi0

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
My dad bought me Super Mario Land while he was on a golf trip when I was 4. He was super excited that he got a Game Boy for like $40 in Florida, so he gave it to me when my mom and I picked him up at the airport. My mom quickly realized that he got me a cartridge and we didn't have a Game Boy so the next day she went and got me one.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Super Mario Land was my first game too. My older sister had it on her Game Boy and I played it a lot more than she did. I didn't know you could run by holding the B button and while I may have possibly gotten up to World 2-1, I definitely never made it to World 2-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

Super Mario Land was my first game too. My older sister had it on her Game Boy and I played it a lot more than she did. I didn't know you could run by holding the B button and while I may have possibly gotten up to World 2-1, I definitely never made it to World 2-2.

I spent forever trying to get into the spaceships in the starting areas of world 2-1 and 2-2.

Also 90% of my runs ended trying to jump through this part of world 4-2 before I learned you could run across 1 unit wide gaps: