Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gargamel Gibson posted:

"Additionally, Leia's age is stated as "not quite thirty" and later as "twenty-six," although in 12 ABY, she would be thirty-one years old."

The author thought Leia was 14 in Star Wars? Wtf

if i remember right she was at one point supposed to have been 16 in Star Wars

which, on the one hand, seems kind of absurdly young for a ~Galactic Senator~

but, on the other hand, ol' George wanted Marion to have been like 13 when she first met Indiana Jones :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

if i remember right she was at one point supposed to have been 16 in Star Wars

which, on the one hand, seems kind of absurdly young for a ~Galactic Senator~

but, on the other hand, ol' George wanted Marion to have been like 13 when she first met Indiana Jones :gonk:

:eng101: 13 and a slut!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Up Circle posted:

stormtroopers being clones or child soldiers who are brainwashed sucks so much.

they're just assholes in armor just like everyone else

I mean all three of these things can be true at the same time.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Anyone know what book this is from?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

smug jeebus posted:

Anyone know what book this is from?

The novelization of the Clone Wars movie that everyone hated that spawned the Clone Wars TV show that everyone loves.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Wow, 5 pages and nobody mentions this poo poo stain

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Fleet_Crisis

Evil ex-imperial slaves start doing a genocide with a fleet they nicked from the imps, Luke goes to find his mum. She’s with some super secret Uber force ladies that tell him to gently caress off. The baddies start to win then the imp’s go lol slave circuits bitch and peace out with all their ships. Other poo poo happens, all boring.

Sonderval fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 6, 2020

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

I didn't watch it. Do they ever address the Jedi's culpability in creating the Empire?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

smug jeebus posted:

I didn't watch it. Do they ever address the Jedi's culpability in creating the Empire?

Yeah, a lot

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

we have a thread on it.
the jedi knew about order 66 but took palpatine at his word it wasn't anything to worry about.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

skasion posted:

Yeah, a lot

SRQ posted:

we have a thread on it.
the jedi knew about order 66 but took palpatine at his word it wasn't anything to worry about.
Thank you, maybe I'll check it out, sorry for the derail.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

smug jeebus posted:

Thank you, maybe I'll check it out, sorry for the derail.

Things are pretty laid back here in the bad book thread

Clone Wars TV show goes into this in detail in the last couple of seasons as the already-subtextually dark show gets textually dark

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sonderval posted:

Wow, 5 pages and nobody mentions this poo poo stain

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Fleet_Crisis

Evil ex-imperial slaves start doing a genocide with a fleet they nicked from the imps, Luke goes to find his mum. She’s with some super secret Uber force ladies that tell him to gently caress off. The baddies start to win then the imp’s go lol slave circuits bitch and peace out with all their ships. Other poo poo happens, all boring.

Actually, the force lady wa sjsut lying to Luke about his mom. It's not even a retcon, she admits it at the end of the book.

Ask me about the EU novels before the bugnest ones. My curse is to remember.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
On the other hand, the Black Fleet Crisis gave us the K-Wing. In conclusion, it is a land of contrasts...

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

SlothfulCobra posted:

Joke's on you, there isn't a wookieepedia article on any "higher passenger capacity B-Wing".

Instead there's this weird off-brand Star Wars wiki article on a "B-Wing Shuttle" https://swse.fandom.com/wiki/B-Wing_Shuttle :v:

But that's not really quite right because it doesn't have the passengers in the cockpit. There is this thing that never actually appears anywhere, but it's a bigger B-Wing that had its cockpit scavenged to be part of the new rebel transports in the sequel movies.

Which joins the couple of weird vague similarities between the old Droids series and Force Awakens. I bet there's more, but I'm not going to go watch the entire droids series to find out. I don't even really want to watch the sequel movies again. I wasted too much time with this post.

The jedi academy series has ackbar's personal b wing that leia flies with him in and when he's about to crash he somehow ejects her in her own pod even though she's in the same pod as him or some poo poo?

Dodadoodoo
Jun 15, 2007
Do you have a dad? I wanna meet that dad.
I vaguely remember a book called Tales from Jabba's Palace that has a princess Leia story implying she got raped a bunch while imprisoned. Also Boba Fett talks to her but doesn't rape her. So that's probably the worst one

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

the sun crusher book was the worst

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

banned from Starbucks posted:

the sun crusher book was the worst

I assume you mean the trilogy of book and also Darksaber.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

I assume you mean the trilogy of book and also Darksaber.

Yeah although admiral dalaa being tarkins side piece ( tarkin fucks too) and rampaging away her 4 star destroyers was kinda fun. Everything else in that trilogy blew rear end.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
What’s the consensus on Truce at Bakura? I read that when I was in elementary school like all the other EU novels I was obsessed with as a kid.

I barely remember it other than it’s immediately after Endor and it was basically the Alliance telling Empire remnants they got owned and trying to prevent the Empire from becoming the First Order insurgents so to speak.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 11, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The rebels and the empire team up to fight racist space dinosaurs. It’s like a time traveler decided to preemptively parody the Vong

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

dialhforhero posted:

What’s the consensus on Truce at Bakura? I read that when I was in elementary school like all the other EU novels I was obsessed with as a kid.

I barely remember it other than it’s immediately after Endor and it was basically the Alliance telling Empire remnants they got owned and trying to prevent the Empire from becoming the First Order insurgents so to speak.

Also Luke and a lady made sexy eyes at each other but it wasn’t meant to be, so she marries to noble Imperial admiral and then dies years later when she shows up in a badass ship named after her late Admiral husband to rescue Luke in another book, her heart never having gotten over him.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

dialhforhero posted:

Is that the one where Luke puts a jedi healing trance on some old lady who got the Rosemary Kennedy treatment from the empire for some reason?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Sekhmnet posted:

Is that the one where Luke puts a jedi healing trance on some old lady who got the Rosemary Kennedy treatment from the empire for some reason?

Literally every book with luke in it has him use some previously unknown jedi power as a plot device.

EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

dialhforhero posted:

I remember reading it as a kid and being insulted by how boring it was and how little Star Warsing took place, but that was entirely on me as the book could hardly be accused of being false advertising.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

banned from Starbucks posted:

Yeah although admiral dalaa being tarkins side piece ( tarkin fucks too) and rampaging away her 4 star destroyers was kinda fun. Everything else in that trilogy blew rear end.

It's funny that as hilariously incompetent as they made Daala she was the only Imperial with any name value so they had to make her a Big Deal as the books dragged on, including making her Republic President at one point.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
e: whoops

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Darksaber was my first EU book I read as a kid in...’94 or ‘95, I think? And I loved it.

Doesn’t mean it wasn’t or isn’t bad, but I have a certain nostalgic soft spot for it.

I had the hardback of it and was so proud to buy it!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Children of the Jedi had Drub McKumb.

More like Glug McKum am I right?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I did like all the weird aliens getting brainwashed into being stormtroopers in Children of the Jedi.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Darksaber meets the test of having a hilarious plot summary at least, and did not seem like a bad read at the time either, compared to The Crystal Star. 90's Star Wars books are all over the place.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Polaron posted:

I did like all the weird aliens getting brainwashed into being stormtroopers in Children of the Jedi.

Yeah, but that book gives us Luke’s weird parasite ghost girlfriend, so who’s to say if it’s good or bad

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Darksaber meets the test of having a hilarious plot summary at least, and did not seem like a bad read at the time either, compared to The Crystal Star. 90's Star Wars books are all over the place.

darksaber had a ton of fun stuff at first blush. Huge fleet of star destroyers, a freaking super star star destroyer, new death star, someone from the movies dies in it, jedi(???). Child me ate that poo poo up. Daala killing all her rivals at the start is great. but it all really sucks like 5 minutes after you finish the book.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The climax of Admiral Daala's career was crashing a Super Star Destroyer into a gas giant.

They later retconned her into having been brain damaged, but I think the Admiral who singlehandedly lost a minimum of at least one of every single major and minor Imperial ship that existed at the time (including both a Death Star and the only existent Sun Crusher) should be recognized for her genuine achievement.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Honestly being Tarkin's gf on the basis of mutual respect is a dead giveaway that she's useless. Also apparently she was totally unaware that the Empire lost until seven years after the fact. The Wookieepedia article alone is a trip.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Here it is, the complete list of the worst Star Wars books.

quote:

Jedi Search
Dark Apprentice
Champions of the Force
Darksaber
Heirs of the Force
Shadow Academy
The Lost Ones
Lightsabers
Darkest Knight
Jedi Under Siege
Shards of Alderaan
Diversity Alliance
Delusions of Grandeur
Jedi Bounty
The Emperor's Plague
Return to Ord Mantell
Trouble on Cloud City
Crisis at Crystal Reef

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
How are you not gonna have The Crystal Star on that list

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Because the Crystal Star put money into the pocket of a talented writer who was clearly doing a cash grab.

Giving money to Kevin J. Anderson isn't just a sign of bad taste, it should be an actual crime.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

There was a book just called “Lightsabers” huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Speaking of, it seems the author of Splinter of the Minds Eye and the novelisation of New Hope hasn't been getting royalties from Disney;

https://twitter.com/sfwa/status/1329167580091727872?s=19

All the novelisations of the Alien trilogy too. Wonder if this is widespread, loving everything has been repainted in Legends, even the Galaxies tie-ins with their screenshot cover art.

Guess it can't be everyone, Zhan has written into the new canon of course.