Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

ChrisBTY posted:

I don't know much about Impact's current roster but I can't imagine AEW benefitting much from signing any of them. Excluding some of the women. Of course at this point I think AEW should only be signing standout developmental workers/transcendent talents/women so maybe YMMV.

There are a few one offs I’d like to see within the tag divisions (mainly involving MCMG and to a lesser extent The North) and I am interested to see the timeline where Cody goes beyond the flirting on Twitter stage of trying to bring Bey in. Other than than that, I also don’t see anyone outside of the Knockouts division I’d be hyped for AEW to sign long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Lamuella posted:

If you don't know much about their roster, why assume that AEW couldn't benefit from any of them? Chris Bey is excellent. A Guns / Bucks match would be great. Rohit Raju is a strong junior heavyweight.

Because they are completely overloaded. MCMG can be a one-off program. I don't know about Bey enough to say.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Chris Bey put on a match with Willie Mack that was SO GOOD, it made the MOTYC list HERE. We all know Willie Mack is awesome, but it takes two to tango.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

The "Genesis" ImpactPlus special is this Saturday, with a one-night Super X Cup tournament:

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1341568372375515136

And a fun little dream match of sorts:

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1346657742799462402

The Hard To Kill PPV is next Saturday:

Havok and Nevaeh vs Kiera Hogan and Tasha Steelz (Impact Knockouts Tag Team Championship Tournament finals)
Kenny Omega and The Good Brothers vs Rich Swann and The Motor City Machine Guns
Manik (c) vs Chris Bey vs Rohit Raju (Triple threat match for the Impact X Division Championship)
Deonna Purrazzo (c) vs Taya Valkyrie (Singles match for the Impact Knockouts Championship)
Eric Young, Deaner and Joe Doering vs Cousin Jake, Rhino, and Tommy Dreamer (Old School Rules six-man tag team match)
Eddie Edwards vs Sami Callihan (Barbed Wire Massacre)
The Karate Man vs Ethan Page

Also everyone, say hi to Susan:

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1346643901726093314

Aergo
Feb 1, 2009

Who is Suicide these days?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

TJP

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I think TJP is doing the Mr. America gag as 'Manik', Suicide is usually Caleb Konley.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
According to Wikipedia/Cagematch, Caleb Konley dropped the Suicide gimmick in April 2018 in Impact, and stopped working for Impact all together in March 2019, though he's now back as Tenille Dashwood's personal assistant or something (as Kaleb Conley, not Suicide). But I guess Konley also wrestled on the indies as Suicide post-March 2019?

Suicide came back in spring 2020 and was apparently Zachary Wentz, and teamed with Manik (TJP). Then Johnny Swinger was Suicide for a minute over the summer, though this might have canonically been Johnny Swinger dressing up as Suicide, not Suicide. In November, Crazzy Steve dressed up as Suicide to beat Rohit Raju but unmasked as Crazzy Steve so again, canonically not Suicide, just someone dressed as him.

And then TJP lost a "TJP can never challenge for the X Division title again" match so he's doing the Mr. America thing with Suicide except also he really is Suicide so I don't know how that works.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

That Moose-Mack match was really good

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

JJ and Anthem have settled their suit.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Josh Matthews and Madison Rayne were not a great commentary team so Impact decided to shake things up!!!

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1349372996562149378?s=19

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They are looooonnnng overdue to get Matthews off of commentary, but at least it finally happened.

I'm not at all sure that Matt "I'M MARKIN OUT, BRO" Striker will be an improvement but at least it's a change

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Matt Striker is pretty bad and I don't know how D'Lo is, but it'd be hard for anything to be a downgrade from Matthews. At least Striker speaks with energy in his voice. He wasn't TERRIBLE in MLW, but still had his cringe and eyeroll moments.

Honestly, though, short of just moving another wrestler in alongside D'Lo, what other wrestling commentator is there who could replace Josh? It's not like there's a huge list of commentators they could snap up. I doubt many of the commentators doing shows for indies on IWTV do it as a full-time job, and who knows what Impact would pay.

All this to say, if Sarah Shockey isn't on the team by the end of 2021 then they're doing it all wrong.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 13, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Matt has genuine passion when he's on the mic and there's at least something to be said for that.

Frankly though while I get that the wrestling-specific announcer pool is low, it wouldn't have been hard to find someone with general sports broadcast experience to bring them in and teach them up, and it's something that can and should have happened several years and management/ownership cycles ago, but they didn't, and here we are.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Mauro might be an option?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I don't know if Impact have the money that Mauro would want at this point which is why they're going for the dollar store version of Mauro with Striker.

Though if they had the money it would be a good gig for Mauro considering he would just need to work taping blocks and a live PPV here or there.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DJExile posted:

Yeah Matt has genuine passion when he's on the mic and there's at least something to be said for that.

Frankly though while I get that the wrestling-specific announcer pool is low, it wouldn't have been hard to find someone with general sports broadcast experience to bring them in and teach them up, and it's something that can and should have happened several years and management/ownership cycles ago, but they didn't, and here we are.

I get that they probably wanted to pick at least one person with name recognition to create some buzz, but they could have had a second person who is maybe a general sports broadcaster but new to wrestling who they can eventually make their lead announcer.

Ah well. Like others have said, any change is good at this point! It almost makes me interested in checking out Impact again to see if the shows feel more interesting and exciting than they did with Josh and Madison.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Ganso Bomb posted:

All this to say, if Sarah Shockey isn't on the team by the end of 2021 then they're doing it all wrong.

Shockey would be a fantastic addition to any commentary team.

Also this happened:

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1349194457942532096

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Impact showing a DDT match involving Kenny Omega and El Generico. Can't say I saw that happening.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Striker has a pretty good base of wrestling knowledge and is a good play by play guy that can convey a lot of excitement, when he can keep his Matt Strikerness under control.

What I'm saying is, it's going to be a loving disaster.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

TNA sopping up eyes like wet bread through another promotion's old matches is very on brand, tbh, when your top draw is... Sami Callihan

I sincerely hope Kenny put more effort into getting TNA permission to associate itself with an old match than he will actually working in a live one.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It's been a few years and people do change. Maybe Striker wised up, dechudified himself, looking at his twitter feed its mostly just religious stuff and wrestling stuff. Let me just pop into his likes and

right, right, so I give it maybe a month before he starts talking about COVID being a hoax on air

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Ohhh I knew Striker was an annoying dweeb but I didn't realize he was also a dumb loving baby. Ugh.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Person in wrestling has bad opinions, film at 11.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I know, I know. I just never want to assume the worst immediately. It's not surprising when it happens, just frustrating.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Matt Striker loving sucks

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I knew Striker was doing very chud commentary back around 2015/16 but I didn't know if he was playing into as a heel or not.

But Brian Cage was too and turns out he's a chud so whelp. No point in giving wrestlers the benefit of the doubt.

Matthews actually doesn't bother me that much as an announcer but Striker's made it hard to watch anything the last couple of weeks. The combination of him, the empty arena, and iffy quality... there's better stuff on.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

STAC Goat posted:

I knew Striker was doing very chud commentary back around 2015/16 but I didn't know if he was playing into as a heel or not.

Striker is definitely a chud, though he could have been playing it up for commentary.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Striker's biggest crime in LU was his commentary for the Hell of War match. Strickland and AR Fox put on one of the top 5 matches from the whole series and Striker's commentary was hot diarrhea

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

stryker, jericho, kevin kelly, etc. there's a lot of chuds floating around that do commentary.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I have no idea why someone keeps paying Matt Striker to do commentary, he is utterly insufferable. Kevin Kelly might be a child but at least he doesn't make you want to claw your ears out.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Don Callis is right there. like he runs the place!

failing that, bring back other Don Don West. Tenay can keep running a sports book and making vapourwave

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Royal Updog posted:

Don Callis is right there. like he runs the place!

failing that, bring back other Don Don West. Tenay can keep running a sports book and making vapourwave

In fairness, Callis is managing a cross-promotional heel stable

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Callis did some commentary on the PPVs but not the tapings.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't think Shockey would take a commentating gig on Impact. She and Marty seem really bored/deflated talking about the product lately.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I wish Matt Stryker's lovely web series was still online. It was just him whining about Keith Olbermann with the weakest dunks you've ever seen.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Can someone find the "Do it for Benghazi" clip?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pinche Rudo posted:

Striker's biggest crime in LU was his commentary for the Hell of War match. Strickland and AR Fox put on one of the top 5 matches from the whole series and Striker's commentary was hot diarrhea

Striker was pretty good at times in LU but that was with producers constantly in his ear, heavy editing, and Vampiro telling him to shut the gently caress when he went too far afield. And even then you have the Benghazi moments or plenty of other stupid poo poo that slipped through. I don't have much confidence in Impact to keep him above his AAA commentary levels where he just goes totally off the rails.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Josh Alexander vs. Brian Myers added to the pre-show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Moose is replacing Alex Shelly in the main event of Hard to Kill "due to unavoidable circumstances". Hopefully it's not COVID-19.