Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

There's a dude working at my local Kroger who no joke looks EXACTLY like Hitler. The face, the hair, the stache(!!!), everything. Makes me do a double take every time lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Kinda loving the thought that there's an alpha-karen so cursed an entire country knows her by description and she's not even from the US

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

shame on an IGA posted:

Kinda loving the thought that there's an alpha-karen so cursed an entire country knows her by description and she's not even from the US

Even though this is a small country, I am pretty astonished she's bad enough to be recognized so easily. I only ran into her once, and I put it down to extremely misplaced but fundamentally righteous ire at lovely business practices but seems like there was a definite pattern.
It's fun to live in a fairly small, pretty chill country - like, we have about 5 anti-mask loons and everyone knows their names and kinda hates them.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Pookah posted:

I can't for the life of me remember her name - I think it was something like Rosemary/Róisín Something but that's as close as I can get...

If she's a friend of G. O'D. then it's the same person. I don't remember the name but I know she wrote for IT for a bit.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm not even from Ireland, I just spend a LOT of time there when it's not pandemic times.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Mormon Nailer posted:

If she's a friend of G. O'D. then it's the same person. I don't remember the name but I know she wrote for IT for a bit.

Jesus, if she sunk to hanging around with that poisonous sack of poo poo, she's fallen a long way.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
There is a Safeway in town that I have been in 3 times in 17 years. I don't go there anymore.

In the back of the store is the meat/deli department with the displays of salmon fillets, scallops, stuffed peppers and such. Really good looking food, but the way the store is laid out is that the aisle with all of the cleaning products leads right to it. It's probably a weird ventilation thing, but you walk into the deli section it smells like chlorine and detergent and laundry soap. I have the worst sense of smell than anyone, but walking back there feels like I just walked into some chemical manufacturing plant. I don't even know how the employees manage putting up with that.

It wasn't a one-off thing, all three times it was bad. Yeah, I totally want to buy a salmon fillet from a place that absolutely reeks of chemical cleaners.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Mormon Nailer posted:

Just… just name her.

She’s not a member here, no one is related to her, this just prevents anyone except 3 ultra specific goons from joining in the conversation.

It drives me bonkers how goons go to insane lengths to hide information about topics like there is a lurking army of of doxxers with nothing to do but go through phone books looking for every Paul Smith on the continental United States that once argued with Susan Smith 10 years ago.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Have you, like, been on the internet and seen the loving psychotic poo poo people will do to someone for breathing the wrong way?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Have you, like, been on the internet and seen the loving psychotic poo poo people will do to someone for breathing the wrong way?

She sounds like a public figure to me.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Yes, and no one is going to track down someone based on “My name is Tom and I live in Toronto and used to work at k mart 19 years ago”

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Mormon Nailer posted:

I finally remembered who it was - Valerie Cox. Let's see if your guess was accurate :D

Being cautious about saying negative things about someone you only vaguely know is an absolute habit in Ireland - it really is a small place, so there's a non-negligible chance you'll be accidentally insulting someone's relative to their face. My da grew up in a village and I am so so glad I didn't. Everyone knows absolutely everyone else's business, and if they don't know for sure, they'll just make up something spicy.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I once worked for Whole Foods and they would put anyone in the weird supplement department, which to me, seemed wildly irresponsible, even if half the poo poo there was snake oil. I cannot recommend supplements to anyone for anything as I worked primarily in produce, but that one shift I did have to work that department loving sucked.

Anyway, here in Sweden people have a tendency to sort of stop in the middle of shopping aisles and kind of form a twenty yard stare at a product for a minute and it’s super annoying when it happens multiple times a shopping trip. Coupled with the fact that saying excuse me when trying to pass through, even though they have a word that easily fulfills that purpose, isn’t too much of a thing here, makes shopping just downright irritating sometimes.

Like I want to be polite and inform people that I’m passing through! Especially with kids running around cause this country won’t tell a goddam kid “no”. But ok if y’all want to play “clog the aisle with your existential staring”, egg on my face for trying to maneuver safely. I’ll try not to hit lille Steffe having a meltdown because he can’t have his half kilo of candy.

Last weekend someone needed to get through to get to a self scanner check out, as it was crowded and my cart blocked her cart. Instead of saying “ursäkta” or anything indicating she needed like a foot of space to move, she drags my cart into the middle of the aisle, blocking two families from moving and distracting me while I’m paying.

I could have happily moved the cart out of the way had you informed me that you needed to get through! I’d have easily done so in a way that inconveniences no one! But nah you need the screen RIGHT NOW and gently caress anyone else trying to do their thing safely.

Anyway I gotta make an ICA run y’all need anything?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

signalnoise posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_Kroger

Kroger wants this name to die but it never ever will lol

Man you get the cool murder kroger, all we had growing up was the Fellini kroger.

I remember going to some grocery store one time when i was a teenager and seeing a whole cows head for sale. Creeped me out.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Nooner posted:

The first and last time i went to winco i didnt know you had to pay cash or debit and the old lady at the checkout got all mad at me and was all THIS IS A WINCO YOU CANT USE CREDIT

It hurt my millenial feefees ):

Tbf, that one goes both ways. There's a big sign at the entrance that explains they don't take credit cards and I understand that people could easily miss it but you'd get people yelling at the cashiers how they were supposed to know about that policy and it was pretty satisfying to tell the jerk customers, "there's a big sign right by the entrance".

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

deep dish peat moss posted:

When the pandemic first started and everything was out of stock and being hoarded and groceries were hard to come by, I went to the local Sprouts and I walked around in shock at all of the shelves picked clean and the empty meat freezers. Everyone was in a panic, people were on their phones saying "They don't have it. What about [x] or [y] instead?", or grabbing entire armloads of whatever and shoving it in their cart. (Side note: All of the cinnamon applesauce was completely untouched despite the aisle around it being picked clean).

So anyway I went over to the deli and they had the social distanced lines and stuff so I decided I'm going to get a bunch of deli meat. The employee working the slicer had a mask on and was cracking jokes and having a good time and there weren't many people in front of me. The people directly in front of me were the funniest part of the entire pandemic. It was an old russian couple and they were saying things like "Ahhh, so nostalgic" and making fun of all the people running around like the empty Nabisco Cookie shelves were the end of the world and laughing constantly. Then I went home and looked up videos of soviet-era grocery stores and I haven't stopped laughing at how dumb and entitled american grocery shoppers are ever since.

Anyway that's not a bad experience it owned but I shared it here because I never get a chance to share grocery store stories.

A long time ago, I read about Russian immigrants coming to the US after the fall of the Soviet Union and seeing how many choices there were for things like toothpaste and crying tears of joy.

Like, I get that Soviet Era grocery stores were bad but there's so much product redundancy in US stores and most of it's ultimately produced by the same few conglomerates.

There was some conservative guy that went to Cuba and sent a picture of a newly built grocery store and thought that it made Cuba look bad that they had like only one brand of everything but people were dunking on him and pointing out that the shelves were all fully stocked and US stores just have an illusion of brand choice in a lot of ways.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think you'll find that *this* brand of kettle chip has a story on the light-green package about the owner's grandfather building up an organic farm from a single tater to the faux-environmentalist conglomerate you know, love and can't avoid today

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
This isn't a bad experience but it is a remarkable one. One time I was in a really crowded grocery store, that kind of crowded where sometimes you have to wait a minute to get to the shelf you want, and I was standing there looking and comparing the different kinds of cat food. A totally ordinary middle aged guy briskly walked past me and said "hey hand me that green bag" and pointed to a certain bag of cat food and I instantly passed it to him and he said "thanks" and kept walking without a pause. He just (perfectly politely) commanded a complete stranger to do something and I just did it without thinking. Such an insane power move from that guy.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

regular mike posted:

This isn't a bad experience but it is a remarkable one. One time I was in a really crowded grocery store, that kind of crowded where sometimes you have to wait a minute to get to the shelf you want, and I was standing there looking and comparing the different kinds of cat food. A totally ordinary middle aged guy briskly walked past me and said "hey hand me that green bag" and pointed to a certain bag of cat food and I instantly passed it to him and he said "thanks" and kept walking without a pause. He just (perfectly politely) commanded a complete stranger to do something and I just did it without thinking. Such an insane power move from that guy.

Same thing happened to me in a tiny, chaotic basque supermarket. Food packets lying in random heaps in corners kind of thing. Anyway, I was browsing through the heaps when a tiny little old lady, all dressed in black like the old stereotypes, just poked me hard in the back, and then gestured at me to hand something down off a shelf. Automatically did what she wanted, since tiny little old basque ladies are generally not to be argued with.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Pookah posted:

Same thing happened to me in a tiny, chaotic basque supermarket. Food packets lying in random heaps in corners kind of thing. Anyway, I was browsing through the heaps when a tiny little old lady, all dressed in black like the old stereotypes, just poked me hard in the back, and then gestured at me to hand something down off a shelf. Automatically did what she wanted, since tiny little old basque ladies are generally not to be argued with.

I'm not even spanish and I know not to gently caress with the basques

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Pookah posted:

Being quite a tall guy I get requests every so often from ladies to get stuff off high shelves for them at the store. I've never had any reason to refuse and no matter where this has happened (Portugal, USA, Netherlands) they're always pretty nice about it.

Once though, when I was working at a liquor store in the US I had to get a case of wine off a high shelf, like 8' up so I was stretching out to get it was carefully pulling it off the shelf when someone walked behind me and slapped my rear end. I don't know who but it was a shock and surprise.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Pookah posted:

Back when I was working as a cashier in a local supermart chain, there was a minor scandal about said chain charging new suppliers "hello money". Basically they were charging new suppliers an upfront fee before they'd stock their product. It was illegal, but they'd found some kind of loophole that they were abusing to get around the law.
Anyway, an honest-to-god nationally recognized journalist started having a go at me, a lowly cashier, for the shady shenanigans of the owners of the company.

Like, lady, I am on a till, I do not control or direct company policy.

Lol peak lazy activism. Being informed enough to know of a company's policy but not making the effort to bring it to the attention of anyone who could change it and instead targeting someone who risks losing their income/healthcare if they don't stand there and take it. I was lectured for not donating additional millions to Katrina relief in-between my cashier assisting shifts.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

One time I got $100 of groceries for free because their POS system went out and I was the only person who didn't yell/crab at the manager who was checking people out at the service desk (where it was still working). He just said, "you know what? Have a nice day, enjoy your food. Thanks for being so patient with me". :smith:

It was his bad grocery store experience. It was :krad: for me.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I've never had the misfortune of having that happen on a shift I was working but I've heard the horror stories of people yelling and dumping their carts and walking out. I know buried somewhere we had a credit card imprinter that was supposedly in case the system went down but no one knew how to use it and nobody's going to be foolish enough to try to learn under those circumstances.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Edmund Sparkler posted:

I've never had the misfortune of having that happen on a shift I was working but I've heard the horror stories of people yelling and dumping their carts and walking out. I know buried somewhere we had a credit card imprinter that was supposedly in case the system went down but no one knew how to use it and nobody's going to be foolish enough to try to learn under those circumstances.

This year my updated credit cards showed up with no embossed surfaces. :rip: tradition. I had to look at them several times to make sure they weren't samples or something.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This year my updated credit cards showed up with no embossed surfaces. :rip: tradition. I had to look at them several times to make sure they weren't samples or something.

Ugh how will I measure my bumps now??

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I've heard that in the states that some grocery stores still takes cheques. Is that true?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Tarkus posted:

I've heard that in the states that some grocery stores still takes cheques. Is that true?

Lmao I think all states do and I don’t miss that poo poo at all.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tarkus posted:

Most retail establishments take checks, because America caters to the olds first and foremost, because they have all the money still

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

There's places will make you show ID and write a bunch of your info on the check and keep it. Stores like Walmart switched to electricity scanning your check and give it back to you. When they rolled out that change, there were customers that thought the cashiers were trying to pull one over on them. How? It is a mystery.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Arsenic Lupin posted:

One of my cards doesn’t even have numbers on it anywhere.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

rotinaj posted:

Most retail establishments take checks, because America caters to the olds first and foremost, because they have all the money still

Exactly this. Retail is itching to kill checks though and probably will when the last legitimate users die off. With any payment method (cash, card, check) you have a vast majority of legitimate transactions and a certain small percentage of fraud and scams. With checks, the number of legitimate users has fallen precipitously... but the amount of fraud and scams has stayed constant. You have a situation where now like 1 in 20 checks you take is bad in some way. According to one article I found 82% of payment fraud involves checks.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I'm from finland, and the only experience I have had with checks, is when my uncle who's a sailor, and has lived his entire life on various boats on all the seven seas, gave me a check as a birthday present when he happened to be around. I went to the bank with it and the cashiers were confused about it. It might have been a weird check in some way, I had no way to tell. Eventually, they found someone who figured it out and gave me some fiat markkas in exchange. Checks are not a thing over here. If you went to a corner store with a check, the only thing you would get is a blank stare.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Checks are an anachronism for anything other than transferring a large sum of money between individuals, and while using them at the grocery store is perfectly fine and legal and I won't give you poo poo, why would one choose to pay with a slower method slower than cash/card?

I think the superrmarket experience that weirded me out the most is when I was younger I went in to the bathroom and one of the stalls was bloody. Not a small amount of blood, huge amounts of bright red all over the back wall, the stall walls, everything. I noped out and told someone what I saw, end of story. Many years later, I realize that someone was doing heroin in that stall and had a little accident in the quiet suburban supermarket bathroom.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Local Weather posted:

Being quite a tall guy I get requests every so often from ladies to get stuff off high shelves for them at the store. I've never had any reason to refuse and no matter where this has happened (Portugal, USA, Netherlands) they're always pretty nice about it.

Once though, when I was working at a liquor store in the US I had to get a case of wine off a high shelf, like 8' up so I was stretching out to get it was carefully pulling it off the shelf when someone walked behind me and slapped my rear end. I don't know who but it was a shock and surprise.

This sort of thing happened to me all the time in the bar and liqour store I worked.

One time I was bending over to lift a crate of beer. I almost dropped it and bolted upright and spun 180 degrees. A little old lady, in her 80s at least, had just pinched me and was wagging her finger in the air laughing.

She didn't pinch my butt she pinched my nutsack.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tom Tix posted:

I think the superrmarket experience that weirded me out the most is when I was younger I went in to the bathroom and one of the stalls was bloody. Not a small amount of blood, huge amounts of bright red all over the back wall, the stall walls, everything. I noped out and told someone what I saw, end of story. Many years later, I realize that someone was doing heroin in that stall and had a little accident in the quiet suburban supermarket bathroom.

Now imagine that same spray but with poop instead, and that was one of my last days working in a grocery store

They told me to go clean it up because the janitor was off that day, I laughed and said no

Then I left that job, gently caress being paid 13 per hour for such an awful job.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Tom Tix posted:

Checks are an anachronism for anything other than transferring a large sum of money between individuals, and while using them at the grocery store is perfectly fine and legal and I won't give you poo poo, why would one choose to pay with a slower method slower than cash/card?

Oh yeah a place I worked at kept metrics for cashiers and they’d look good with high scan speed. Some would min/max by logging off the register in between orders for minimal downtime. Those high performers hated check transactions as they couldn’t log off in the middle of a sale and the type of customer who was most comfortable with checks wasn’t going for a speed record.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I went to Safeway to buy some condoms and alcohol around three in the morning and was accosted by a homeless man on meth who told me that he had been picking up cans and bottles under a bridge all day and had been bitten dozens of times by brown recluse spiders.

He showed me his arms and it was true, they were literally covered with enormous swollen welts in disgusting colors. Frankly I was shocked he was still alive, those bites usually aren't deadly but they can be. And so many of them is just absurd, pretty much the only activity where that could happen is the one he was doing.

He kept asking me what he should do and I told him go to the loving hospital and asked him why he thought some random drunk kid at Safeway at three on the morning would have some kind of perfect home remedy for him

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah a place I worked at kept metrics for cashiers and they’d look good with high scan speed. Some would min/max by logging off the register in between orders for minimal downtime. Those high performers hated check transactions as they couldn’t log off in the middle of a sale and the type of customer who was most comfortable with checks wasn’t going for a speed record.

pfft amateurs. ours had a single key entry that caused a clock stopping error and another single single key entry that cleared it so I was scanning one handed rocking back and forth between those buttons with my thumb and pinky in between every single item.

AMA about clocking 375 items per minute averaged over a whole week and watching management not even question it

*taps username*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Play posted:

I went to Safeway to buy some condoms and alcohol around three in the morning and was accosted by a homeless man on meth who told me that he had been picking up cans and bottles under a bridge all day and had been bitten dozens of times by brown recluse spiders.

He showed me his arms and it was true, they were literally covered with enormous swollen welts in disgusting colors. Frankly I was shocked he was still alive, those bites usually aren't deadly but they can be. And so many of them is just absurd, pretty much the only activity where that could happen is the one he was doing.

He kept asking me what he should do and I told him go to the loving hospital and asked him why he thought some random drunk kid at Safeway at three on the morning would have some kind of perfect home remedy for him

Doesn't bad meth make your skin rot?