Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Also JLaw fuckin some high school kid was weird. Basically both romance subplots should have been axed because they did nothing to further the plot or characterization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
Christmas Day I walked into my living room and my mom had finally switched off the hallmark channel to watch this. I got a little upset because I hate apocalypse films and am phobic of natural disasters.

I left to drink our homemade eggnog on my back patio.

God bless.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

There were small things I didn't expect that I liked.

When Leo and Jlaw were first telling the president and her toady son there were these fast cuts to their hands or other nervous tics and Streep even goes for a cigarette in an almost manic state. This, compared to their completely glib response told me that it wasn't a case of miscommunication or a failure to convince. These selfish characters absolutely understood the stakes and believed them completely, despite their very aloof and skeptical responses.

Kind of adjacent to that, I thought it was interesting how un-spiteful Orlean and her administration was. I thought after Jlaw caused the riot and she got black bagged things were going to get real ugly for her. But in reality they just hand her a "go away" contract, and the bag is just a petty joke anyway. Jlaw even dresses Orlean down once, the president in the oval fuckin office, and she just gives a kind of snide "ahuh so what" response but nothing comes of it. Same with Leo, who even after his black bag event Orlean still offers him and his wife a seat aboard the rich people arc. Why would she do that? Also, why let these people who leaked classified secrets run around still?

Plot necessity sure. But also, it sells a kind of muted understanding between all parties where everyone understands that these nerds are only trying to help, and so retaliations never really happen to them. But this contrasts with Orleans & crew's utterly self absorbed and amoral nature, which I'm not sure makes for multi-dimensional characters, but I absolutely would not have liked to see Jlaw and others in some kind of Gitmo-lite getting sleep deprived or some poo poo so I'm glad they went this way.

Leo's wife was handled TERRIBLY btw, she's basically walked over the whole movie and were supposed to just forgive the protagonist abandoning his wife and kids for shallow celeb sex. I get that it's the end of the world but the whole "btw I slept with a dude in college" line she gave felt like a crass band-aid.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

numberoneposter posted:

thinking of watching suicide squad next

thinking of rewatching Suicide Circle and Suicide Circle 2: Noriko's Dinner Table tonight itt

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Is there a Biden caricature that comes in at the end and does nothing about the looming climate change allegory either or is it just flagrantly pandering to people with blue check marks on Twitter?

I’ve heard it described as an extended SNL skit so I’m guessing the latter.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I look forward to the sequel.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Who What Now posted:

Also JLaw fuckin some high school kid was weird. Basically both romance subplots should have been axed because they did nothing to further the plot or characterization

Full marks for realism imo

Animal-Mother posted:

I look forward to the sequel.

lol

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Do they solve the meteor crisis with tax credits for electric vehicles?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Unless I missed something, if they'd had a scene where it is laid out clearly that the US bombed that other rocket launch to prevent competition with BASH it would have been a little too on the nose for a movie lampooning runaway capitalism and climate denialism.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

ArbitraryC posted:

Is there a Biden caricature that comes in at the end and does nothing about the looming climate change allegory either or is it just flagrantly pandering to people with blue check marks on Twitter?

It’s the latter and is even less relevant given Trump isn’t president. I thought the commentary on social media was probably the most interesting thing the movie had to say but overall it needed a lot more editing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

the president character is a combination of Trump and Hillary. I don't think many people notice the Hillary part though

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

I disagree, OP. I love any movie where the whole of humanity dies at the end.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There's a picture of her hugging and kissing Bill

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's Melancholia adapted to dumb masses, there :dumb:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That's harder to spell

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Professor Shark posted:

There's a picture of her hugging and kissing Bill

to be fair, that could be a reference to either Hillary or Trump

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

lol

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I cant wait to get murdered for a half empty bottle of Dasani in the coming climate apocalypse

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

runnypoops posted:

I cant wait to get murdered for a half empty bottle of Dasani in the coming climate apocalypse

Fresh water literally falls out of the sky for free and we hosed that up.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ChubbyChecker posted:

it didn't "clown on trump"

it pulled its punches

if meryl streep had quoted real stuff that trump has said it would have done a better job

- too heavy handed

- should have quoted trump

lol what are u smoking buddy

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hmm yes the only thing that could have solved this comedy from being incredibly blatant in its messaging would be being more blatant even though literally everyone already understood the message

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I actually enjoyed how there was a real chance of diverting it but then the economics of mining the asteroid came into the scene and that doomed the human race.

That's pretty accurate and sad, actually.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

alexandriao posted:

hmm yes the only thing that could have solved this comedy from being incredibly blatant in its messaging would be being more blatant even though literally everyone already understood the message

I think they mean the movie should have been more explicitly insulting, mocking and emasculating towards Trump rather than sending him up.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Mark Rylance did a good job as a goony tech guy and I encourage people to check out Waiting for the Barbarians if they want to see him stretch his acting chops in a relatively quiet drama film

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
it's not a very good movie, but it got a couple chuckles out of me and the ending was actually pretty cathartic

C+

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Pitdragon posted:

it's not a very good movie, but it got a couple chuckles out of me and the ending was actually pretty cathartic

C+

The ending or the post credits scene?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

movies are for dumb assholes. i only watch youtube clips of goku fighting.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
There is a 1000% chance that was a body double for Meryl Steep’s rear end.

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
I just saw it because of this post, and it was alright

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

There is a 1000% chance that was a body double for Meryl Steep’s rear end.

it was CGI rear end

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Christian Skater

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
All I’m saying is if you want to see Meryl Streep naked just google that poo poo and Mr. Skin will hook you up.

Don’t be cranking one out to that body double in Dont Look Up. Crank one out to her actual tit and sideboob.

Or actually, maybe you should crank one out to the body double in Dont Look Up. Meryl Streep is a skinny lady and there’s no way her rear end is as plump as the one they picked for her in that movie.

The point is. I wish the comet in the movie was Meryl Steep’s rear end, and it was real not a movie. And I died from her rear end impacting the earth with my house being ground zero. I am ready to be vaporized.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
it was an okay movie.

i enjoyed it as so far as much as things can be enjoyed in 2022!

:fire and brimstone:

the new york ball dropping had orange 2022 numbers on the tower, and black smoke floated in front of it. and it looked like 2022 was already on fire.

great.

andy and anaderson. did you know what yhou have just done

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Hell star remnia was better

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Hell star remnia was better

i think the junji ito where everyone gets strangled by balloons shaped like their own head is a better climate change metaphor

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I thought it was good

Critics and goons complaining it’s not subtle enough and then normies on socials saying it’s too woke and they didn’t get it is quite interesting too I think.

I liked it when humanity was erased.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I knew we were in trouble when it went from JLaw mouthing Wu-Tang to them playing actual music and going with…. Chingy?

ThawedGladiator
Aug 29, 2008

ASenileAnimal posted:

i watched the trailer and i feel like i got the joke but i dont need to watch it for 2 hours

I feel like this about a lot of movies

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's no Deep Impact, i tell you what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Wasn't nearly as bad as i expected or op described