Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

giZm posted:

Recently picked this up after trying (and laughing at) Star Citizen.
Just made it through the first jump gate, having a blast. Story hasn't been the strongest part of the game so far, but the visuals surely make up for it. The puzzle bits I could do without, but at the very least they offer something different from just blasting fools out of the skies.
Is there any point in actually running cargo between systems? Money doesn't feel like an issue, just by doing Unknown Signal locations now and then.

Feels good to be Freelancer Alpha 1-1 again, cruising around and dispensing pewpews to those who deserve it.

Also turning off Ineratia Dampeners is mad fun, just needs a while to get used to.

Story was never the strong part of Everspace. It's inoffensive and fun, with a classic goody-two-shoes protagonist, but you've seen it before done better.

Not much point to cargo outside some opportunistic runs when you know you're going to be bouncing between sectors and its on the way. The game focuses on shooting bads and exploration, and the 'economy' is just a checkbox. Other games do Space Eurotruck better.

Inertial Dampeners was a surprise to me, remembering the "Assist Off" feature from Elite Dangerous. I never got the hang of it there, and while I tried it a couple times in ES2, its one of those things that takes some concerted effort to learn and master. It's great for getting that real BSG dogfight physics on though. One of the things to note is that when enemies are stunned by EMP, they are functionally without inertial dampeners themselves. You can get a LOT of mileage out of physics effects during that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Just met Darryl, he's going to betray and backstab everybody for sure, what a weasel.

I wish there were more HUD options than just "on/off", the screen gets extremely busy at times. Having the option to resize the icons or maybe disable some of them would be so helpful.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
New patch and...

quote:

Radio Chatter
Experienced pilots may notice new radio chatter added to EVERSPACE 2, filling the void (of space) as it were in a variety of traffic-heavy spaceports. Our goal here is to bring a little more life to some areas by conveying the hustle and bustle of busy space cities and settlements.

To be completely transparent as it’s a hot topic, these new snippets were partially created using AI tools. The scripts were written by our designers and created using AI-altered speech samples from team members. This is an experiment on our part to see how content created this way meshes with our world. While we think these kinds of tools are interesting as far as supporting creative efforts, they will not replace the work of writers, artists, and voice actors in a meaningful way on our games.

This is one of the few truly good uses of AI. Recording hours of essentially just background noise has got to be incredibly expensive and time consuming but it goes far in making the world feel alive. And as the chatter doesn't exactly have to be very high quality , it seems perfect for the job of an AI to fill.
It's also nice they were upfront about it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Large update coming monday: https://www.pcgamesn.com/everspace-2/update-armed-and-dangerous

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm glad you found this thread and posted about it, saved me the trouble :v:

I've been keeping an eye out and the major expansion to weapon sets, weapon attributes, passives, all that is looking very good. I'm actually seeing some really nice build potential that isn't just grind rifts for legendaries and generic starforged, which is where I gave up post-campaign.

more cosmetic parts are nice, some will probably look real good in screenshots, but beyond gear what I'm most interested in is the new khala perk so you can get location hints for 100% completion in a given area. I'm pretty excited, actually. I had the itch to go back to ES2, but I kept putting it off, but now that this is about to drop I can't wait to go back in and start clearing locations 100% to get the last mainframe upgrades and then start building out full ship fits that aren't just "if I can't use it on Interceptor I don't care" and probably start hitting higher level rifts too. gonna be a nice extension of playtime.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 29, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://youtu.be/WA82FPpRknE?si=miP3OcF4NWyJv9je

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1128920/view/3728474509921306306?l=english

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I see there was some chatter early in this thread when it came out about controller vs. keyboard/mouse, but I am curious if anybody has picked this up on console? I would really love to play this on my couch with the big screen tv if it works pretty well on PS5 controller, but will pick it up for PC if it's really a PC-native kind of title.

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!

Mega Comrade posted:

New patch and...

This is one of the few truly good uses of AI. Recording hours of essentially just background noise has got to be incredibly expensive and time consuming but it goes far in making the world feel alive. And as the chatter doesn't exactly have to be very high quality , it seems perfect for the job of an AI to fill.
It's also nice they were upfront about it.

Very cool. I did notice it, I wouldn't have guessed.

Isn't this a big deal? Feel like if some nobody with a mediocre game typed the same thing out publicly their game would get pulled. I suppose they had talks and maybe can prove they used a model they trained themselves on public data or something. I have opinions about the topic.

moist banana bread fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 28, 2023

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
To answer my own question above: I ended up picking up the PS5 version and have not regretted it. It works well as a couch experience, and the auto aim on the controller does a good job for most situations and weapon types. There are a small number of situations that seem to be designed with a mouse in mind but they are not too frequent or critical. The worst ones are the little red lights you need to shoot on some of the puzzles, and one side quest where you have to protect a point and drones are spawning in from every direction constantly. That side quest was pretty annoying since you can't really spin 180 and kill drones as fast as you need to with a controller. I had to cheese that one by dropping a ton of turrets on the point.
Overall though, very happy I picked it up on console, space shooters are just more fun relaxing on the couch with a big screen TV.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So is this like Diablo in space? Worth the 30€ for solo gameplay? Seems to be on the lowest price yet this Christmas.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ihmemies posted:

So is this like Diablo in space? Worth the 30€ for solo gameplay? Seems to be on the lowest price yet this Christmas.

No. It's like Freelancer... in space.

It's a lot of fun. Also included on Game Pass if you want to play it for cheaper (or free if you already have Game Pass).

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
It is absolutely Diablo with space dog fighting.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

DancingMachine posted:

It is absolutely Diablo with space dog fighting.

yeah its 100% a space arpg, complete with gear sets, consumables, skills, dps on weapons that goes up with level, all that. its great

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks. Somehow game reminds me of Terminal Velocity.. https://www.mobygames.com/game/635/terminal-velocity/

Does my "build" matter much? I just bought a gunboat because it had twice the guns, and a turret. Turret mows down enemies around me, then I have armor repair device, and aoe dot device which kills enemies around me and reduces their dmg by 50%.

What use the other ships have? More damage is always better, that is simple, but what about the other ships? The starter ship felt weak, like a wet tissue, and lacked damage, and gunship has both.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ihmemies posted:

Thanks. Somehow game reminds me of Terminal Velocity.. https://www.mobygames.com/game/635/terminal-velocity/

Does my "build" matter much? I just bought a gunboat because it had twice the guns, and a turret. Turret mows down enemies around me, then I have armor repair device, and aoe dot device which kills enemies around me and reduces their dmg by 50%.

What use the other ships have? More damage is always better, that is simple, but what about the other ships? The starter ship felt weak, like a wet tissue, and lacked damage, and gunship has both.

Gunship is solid. Speed and agility aren't nearly as valuable in this game as shields and armor (and range!). I spent most of my game using an extended-range Rail Gun for most things, and Flak Cannons for anything smaller/close-by. It was pretty easy with that setup.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 2, 2024

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i enjoyed playing the drone boat and just having my drones destroy everything

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

queeb posted:

i enjoyed playing the drone boat and just having my drones destroy everything

I played with that setup for a bit, but there are certain missions where the drones seem too fragile, and it can be a pain to replenish them fast enough.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

New ships are hard to find, since the selection is random. So when I finally stumbled upon a bomber, I bought it instead of trading my current ship. To see how it works.

Because I got a blueprint for this.. :unsmigghh:

E: JFC dont shoot it too close to yourself

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 2, 2024

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Yeah they rule a few of them will generally wreck a level appropriate capital ship

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

It one shots lower level bigger ships. You can use it to sometimes shoot smaller ships too. Current level ships take 2 hits. Maybe a debuff missile first would make it one shot, hmm. Can also mine minerals with it and destroy bases.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Ihmemies posted:

heavy ships are probably the simplest to figure out what they're good at - that's not a dig, they're really good - bomber can spam missiles forever (corrosive mines are my preferred option, it's easy to kite enemies into them and wow they do damage), gunship as you know is just More Gun, and the vindicator is a drone controller which is also pretty good.

medium ships are, imo, the Interceptor or don't bother. It's extremely top tier. Interceptor ult is very easy to keep going and it gives unlimited energy, boosted damage and rate of fire while it's up. Put the right guns on it and it absolutely shreds everything. Sentinel can be strong later in the game; it's a starter ship because it's got lots of options, but endgame Sentinel builds exist. Striker I've never figured out.

lights are the hardest sell to me personally, where I used the Vanguard to win racing missions and ... that's it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I am watching Cohh’s recorded stream and it is painful. Dude keeps inventory 3/4 full of trade goods since he won’t get a “high” price of them. Dismantles all great weapons. Doesn’t use secondaries like missiles or rockets, although you can like double your damage with them. Extremely stingy with consumables. My brain hurts :ohdearsass:

I need to try corrosive mines instead of missiles, and the interceptor. Thanks. Kiting seems to be a solid strategy: keep all enemies in front of you. That way you can lob missiles and bullets at them, and they won’t flay you from all directions simultaneously.

Edit: really stingy with the ult too! Why suffer so much and not use the tools available :argh:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 3, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

what if he runs out and gets stuck at the final boss with no potions or elixirs

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Psion posted:

lights are the hardest sell to me personally, where I used the Vanguard to win racing missions and ... that's it.
I haven't done too much endgame stuff, and I'm under the impression that's where lighter ships really suffer, but I think the most fun ship I've used is a Stinger with the shield restore on device usage passive and the cloaking passive that someone recommended in here a few months ago. Basically just zip around using the blink ability and kill things faster than they can kill you. I was surprised how good it was at surviving and even regrouping after near death (mostly getting sniped from across the map :argh:).

The manuverability of heavy ships is enough for me to just not to touch them - it's really exhilarating going all out speed demon in dog fights in this game, be able to make hairpin turns and chase guys down through space debris.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What good ships would be light? How would I play with one? Comfort of doing missions has personally gone up with more durable ships with greater firepower. Bomber feels like the ultimate ship, which just laughs at everything.. except maybe the 5% increased dmg/hp mod per killed enemy in high-risk areas.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Ihmemies posted:

What good ships would be light? How would I play with one? Comfort of doing missions has personally gone up with more durable ships with greater firepower. Bomber feels like the ultimate ship, which just laughs at everything.. except maybe the 5% increased dmg/hp mod per killed enemy in high-risk areas.
For light ships there's the Scout, Vanguard, and Stinger. I didn't play much with the first two but I think they all control roughly the same - very quick, very agile light on armor and shields in comparison to the heavier ships. The Scout I believe is kind of styled as a sniper and can excel at ranged, single shot combat.

My experience with the Stinger was essentially making sure that I exploited it's passive that grants an additional hardpoint (an extra gun) every time you use a device and the passive that restores shield on device usage. The best thing I found for this was the teleporter device that at max level you could have 5 charges on so if you're playing smart you could just regen whatever missing shield you have and spawn extra guns on your ship for big DPS boosts. The cloaking passive triggering would drop aggro and give you some breathing room if things got too dicey.

As far as playstyle, the Stinger I found did really well with a flak cannon and then a faster shooting weapon like an autocannon - just speed in and start wrecking enemies while making gratuitous use of devices and the Void Swarm ULT. I generally like to pick enemies off at max distance for the flak cannon and then try and maintain mid-range with the faster weapon. For me, the Teleporter set to the version that turns you around after you teleport was my go-to for triggering the passives but I also really loved it for close range fights where you can cut past enemies then instantly 180 on them. I think other devices I often used were the boost, EMP blast, and the Virus device. Playing REALLY aggressivly usually yielded much better results than turtling.

I wouldn't write the lighter ships off right away until you get a feel for them, I think they are much more sturdy then you'd expect but you really do need to make use of all of their abilities and obviously can't tank full on hits like you would a bomber or what have you. I also think all of this changes in end game and probably won't hold up as well, but during the story I had no problems and a ton of fun.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I am 90% of the way through the campaign and have never dropped the starter ship class (Sentinel) because I just can't stomach the shield loss on any of the light/medium options, or the handling loss on the heavier ships. The blue sentinel gets 220% shields and the purple 276% so it's just insanely survivable while still being pretty fast and having plenty of consumable slots. Its' ULT I almost never use though.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Heh, I thought those energy orbs were useless, then I got this "hoover them all up from up to 2000m away" shield item. Nice. Maybe they might have some use? Shield has 30% recharge rate though so it basically never.. recharges... but who needs that when armor gives 10% back from each kill.

Anyways, Perun IV in Zharkov was crazy :D It had tons and tons of puzzles and stuff everywhere. A huge asteroid with 3 huge holes bored to the middle, then separate smaller asteroids. So many energy and heat dispensers, even 1 protection dispenser, sockets and all that.. I think I spent at least 2-3 hours in just that one place, solving all the puzzles. Some places are slim, some are thick with stuff, Perun IV is top 1 thickest poo poo so far I think.

Bomber still feels great. I don't even mind dogfighting with it. Maybe I should try something zippier, but the idea of giving half of your cargo space away.. Also I bought a new bomber and finally the cruise torpedo won't oneshot me, I get maybe 30% hull left if I was at full HP. Or perhaps this is a sign that I should upgrade the cruise torps...

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Big patch coming end of the month

Weirdly they list controller support as an updated feature (it already has it?), but I wonder if that means dualsense haptics on PC, which would be cool as hell

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1128920/view/4187860062712851953?l=english

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Incursions update is out

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1128920/view/4187860062713350990?l=english

I didn't realize they were migrating over to UE5, Lumen and all - I'm expecting some teething issues but I'll check it out later