Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

AstroZamboni posted:

Longwave reception and internal battery recharging. There isn't anything to listen to on Longwave, and the battery recharging is a fairly minor convenience. So, you're not really missing anything.

Are you sure? I'm reading the website and comparing the two models:

G5 posted:

AM/FM-stereo and LW/Shortwave (150-29999 KHz)

G6 posted:

AM, FM, Aircraft Band (117-137 MHz) and LW/Shortwave (150-29999 KHz)

Looks to me like the G6 doesn't omit any of the longwave spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Foggy posted:

How about that, I just picked up (and subsequently lost) a really faint aviation communication on 3484 in SSB. Guess that button does do something after all!

I'm getting this tonight in USB, but it sounds like some sort of weather report. I can also get some CW on 3583 LSB.

Correction, it sounds like it IS aviation status reports. That's some cool stuff.

Illegal Clown fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 22, 2008

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

Illegal Clown posted:

I'm getting this tonight in USB, but it sounds like some sort of weather report. I can also get some CW on 3583 LSB.

Correction, it sounds like it IS aviation status reports. That's some cool stuff.

You could well be hearing a VOLMET:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VOLMET

- a kind of automatic aviation weather report transmitted by various airports for pilots to use. They are to be found in USB in roughly the kind of area you're looking at there.

Also: the new SoftRock SDR kit is now available.

http://www.softrockradio.org/SoftRock

The new version, the Lite Xtal, has the benefit of covering multiple bands whereas the previous versions required one board per band. Slightly dearer than the old version but still cheap as chips really. I placed an order for mine yesterday and had confirmation within the hour and it's supposed to ship next week.

To the goon who suggested sharing shipping costs to the UK - in the end it didn't seem worth the hassle since he is only charging $1 extra to ship to the UK anyway. You're only paying about 50p more.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

stinky ox posted:

You could well be hearing a VOLMET:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VOLMET

- a kind of automatic aviation weather report transmitted by various airports for pilots to use. They are to be found in USB in roughly the kind of area you're looking at there.

I think that may be what it was. The reason I could tell it was for aviation was I kept hearing the voice call out altimeter readings among the other data. It did seem like it was an automatic reading so I'll assume it was VOLMET for now.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

stinky ox posted:

The new version, the Lite Xtal, has the benefit of covering multiple bands whereas the previous versions required one board per band. Slightly dearer than the old version but still cheap as chips really. I placed an order for mine yesterday and had confirmation within the hour and it's supposed to ship next week.

I'm expecting to receive mine any day now, here's hoping I know enough to use it. (I haven't been keeping up with the message postings about it but I've got a great soundcard and a long antenna so we'll see what happens.)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

stinky ox posted:

I shouldn't spend the money, but I did. Hopefully they don't get too far behind orders.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

There are plenty of crazy preachers out there, but the one that's on 5745 right now is the best I've ever heard. He has approximately the same speaking style as the kid in There Will Be Blood.

edit: he went off at the :30 :(

Foggy fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 24, 2008

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Checking in for the first time in 2 weeks, and what 2 weeks they have been.

Basic rundown: Stuck in a shack on a side of a mountain in Colorado freezing my rear end off and tending to an unexpected and expensive broken ankle. (the prize payout will have to wait until I'm no longer in debt from the doctor's bills for X-rays and splints and painkillers with no insurance).

On the other hand, I have NO SW interference up here, and the listening has been great.

I'll be back to civilization in about 2 weeks and I can update the OP massively and get the grand prize winner his winnings.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

stinky ox posted:

To the goon who suggested sharing shipping costs to the UK - in the end it didn't seem worth the hassle since he is only charging $1 extra to ship to the UK anyway. You're only paying about 50p more.

Oh SWEET! Cheers! :D

Foggy
May 17, 2004

Sort of a dumb question: I've noticed a few nights in a row that 192 kHz is absolutely silent - there's something on that frequency that's broadcasting loud enough silence that it blocks out the background static. It's definitely at 192 exactly, if I go to 191 or 193 I get a little bit of fuzz. It's sort of useful for finding local interference (for example if I tune to 192 and hold my radio close to my computer I can hear the interference) but other than that I have no idea what it is. Anybody know?

Edit: I'm in Chicago in case it's a local thing

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

Now that I've got a Yaesu FRG-100 and a Kenwood TS-430, the Eton E5 is just sitting here in its case gathering dust.
It got about 5-10 hours of use in January and February before I had to stop playing with amateur radio for a couple months due to family issues.

Edit: On its way to a new home! Have fun.

mrbill fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 26, 2008

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

stinky ox posted:

Hmm. I assume 'DX' is their inside-joke version of "shipping outside CONUS", but the site's beardishly impenetrable for someone who doesn't know the project.

To receive only, what do I need? "SR-LXv8.3" (without the 'si570')?

Do I need additional BPF boards? Is the "Lite+Xtall" the transceiver version? :shobon:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Foggy posted:

Sort of a dumb question: I've noticed a few nights in a row that 192 kHz is absolutely silent - there's something on that frequency that's broadcasting loud enough silence that it blocks out the background static. It's definitely at 192 exactly, if I go to 191 or 193 I get a little bit of fuzz. It's sort of useful for finding local interference (for example if I tune to 192 and hold my radio close to my computer I can hear the interference) but other than that I have no idea what it is. Anybody know?

Edit: I'm in Chicago in case it's a local thing

Two possibilities: One is that there is a strong relatively nearby transmitter sending "dead air" which is illegal, but it happens. Another is that this is an issue with the radio itself. Almost all radios have this quirk where in certain frequencies where it will show high signal strength when there's nothing there, even so much as to stop autotune. I forget what this phenomenon was called right off the top of my head, but there was a discussion of it earlier on in the thread.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

edit: ^^^^ this is what I'm talking about

Foggy posted:

Chances are you are hearing a "birdie", which is a product of the oscillators inside your radio that isn't filtered out. It's nothing to worry about, most modern receivers have them.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

meltie posted:

Hmm. I assume 'DX' is their inside-joke version of "shipping outside CONUS"
Outside the USA, yes. (not just CONUS)

meltie posted:

beardishly impenetrable
I've just found a new phrase for the day. :v:

meltie posted:

To receive only, what do I need? "SR-LXv8.3" (without the 'si570')?

Do I need additional BPF boards? Is the "Lite+Xtall" the transceiver version? :shobon:
Unless you have an SI570 chip floating around, you'll need that too. It looks like it comes with some BPF boards already, but v:shobon:v I'm guessing you set each board up for a band that you want to listen to. For instance, I'm planning on setting one up so I can monitor 500 kHz.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

nmfree posted:

Unless you have an SI570 chip floating around, you'll need that too. It looks like it comes with some BPF boards already, but v:shobon:v I'm guessing you set each board up for a band that you want to listen to. For instance, I'm planning on setting one up so I can monitor 500 kHz.

It comes with 4 BPF boards (they are supplied as one board that you cut into 4 pieces). There's a good page on building and testing the kit here:

http://golddredgervideo.com/wb5rvz/Home.htm

which explains what comes with the kit and suggests an order for doing the build testing as you go.

And yeah I suppose the "shipping to DX" line is a bit radio-geeky, but I guess he assumes that if you're buying a tricky to build SDR radio kit chances are you're beardy enough already :).

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

stinky ox posted:

It comes with 4 BPF boards (they are supplied as one board that you cut into 4 pieces). There's a good page on building and testing the kit here:

http://golddredgervideo.com/wb5rvz/Home.htm

which explains what comes with the kit and suggests an order for doing the build testing as you go.

And yeah I suppose the "shipping to DX" line is a bit radio-geeky, but I guess he assumes that if you're buying a tricky to build SDR radio kit chances are you're beardy enough already :).

Lovely stuff, cheers :love:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nmfree posted:

edit: ^^^^ this is what I'm talking about

Chances are you are hearing a "birdie", which is a product of the oscillators inside your radio that isn't filtered out. It's nothing to worry about, most modern receivers have them.

Thanks! I knew the word was something to do with golf, but I couldn't remember what it was.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Ok, this is retarded of me. I bought an E5 a few months back thanks to this thread, but it wasn't enough. So, today I was doing some Ebaying and I picked up a Uniden BCT8 Scanner, and a Kenwood R1000 shortwave receiver. So chalk it up to this thread.

I spent 159.99 on the Bearcat, and 175.99 on the Kenwood. I'm only a little upset that you guys have tricked me into spending MORE money on this, but it's ok cuz I have a bit of disposable income this month, assholes!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

U.S. Barryl posted:

Ok, this is retarded of me. I bought an E5 a few months back thanks to this thread, but it wasn't enough. So, today I was doing some Ebaying and I picked up a Uniden BCT8 Scanner, and a Kenwood R1000 shortwave receiver. So chalk it up to this thread.

I spent 159.99 on the Bearcat, and 175.99 on the Kenwood. I'm only a little upset that you guys have tricked me into spending MORE money on this, but it's ok cuz I have a bit of disposable income this month, assholes!

Didn't trick nobody, jackhole. Enjoy the toys!

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

I found the online SDR linked in another thread and it's pretty cool. I've been interested in shortwave for a while, but I didn't really want to spend a lot of money to get a shortwave and then discover that it's boring. So the online version is really good for me as a sort of trial, and I like it so far. :) To be honest, I like listening to the weird bleeps and bloops and such as much as I like listening to the voices.

I know next to nothing about shortwave (beyond numbers stations) but I've kind of picked up a little, Wikipediaing while listening to the online one. There's one station that I can pick up on the WebSDR, at around 7039 Hz. It just broadcasts C in morse code over and over. What is that?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Jeremiah Smith posted:

I found the online SDR linked in another thread and it's pretty cool. I've been interested in shortwave for a while, but I didn't really want to spend a lot of money to get a shortwave and then discover that it's boring. So the online version is really good for me as a sort of trial, and I like it so far. :) To be honest, I like listening to the weird bleeps and bloops and such as much as I like listening to the voices.

I know next to nothing about shortwave (beyond numbers stations) but I've kind of picked up a little, Wikipediaing while listening to the online one. There's one station that I can pick up on the WebSDR, at around 7039 Hz. It just broadcasts C in morse code over and over. What is that?

Probably a "letter beacon," a totally weird kettle of fish thought by some to have a relationship with number broadcasts as being clandestine activity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_beacon

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

Probably a "letter beacon," a totally weird kettle of fish thought by some to have a relationship with number broadcasts as being clandestine activity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_beacon

Yeah, it says 7039.0 kHz is one of the frequencies the C letter beacon operates at. Neat!

Edit: What's a good (preferably free) software program to practice hearing and sending morse code? I've seen a few results on Google and stuff but I have no idea what's good. (I'm reading backwards through the thread, so maybe I just haven't gone back far enough to see one recommended.)

Nicolae Carpathia fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 26, 2008

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Jeremiah Smith posted:

Yeah, it says 7039.0 kHz is one of the frequencies the C letter beacon operates at. Neat!

Edit: What's a good (preferably free) software program to practice hearing and sending morse code? I've seen a few results on Google and stuff but I have no idea what's good. (I'm reading backwards through the thread, so maybe I just haven't gone back far enough to see one recommended.)

The Ham goons in the amateur radio thread would probably be pretty helpful on that count. Go to the OP of this thread and there will be a link to the Amateur Radio GBS thread.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

To answer right in this very thread - there's something called the Koch method which is pretty good if you plug away at it, and this program works as well as any for learning it.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Thanks! I'm going to try the Koch stuff. For the moment, I'm more interested in learning to receive it than understand it, since I'm still just using the WebSDR. But it couldn't hurt to know, right?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

New addition to Eton/Grundig's product lineup, the "G6 Buzz Aldrin Edition."

http://etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=545912

Basically just an E6 with the words "Buzz Aldrin Edition" on it next to a little spacesuit logo. Now, I'm as much of an apollo nut as anyone, but I still have to ask WHY?

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
Aw man, I want MY radio to be endorsed by Buzz Aldrin!!

I can't figure out the point of this. It isn't any different than the normal G6 as far as I can tell. Maybe it can recieve signals FROM THE MOON?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Your average new shortwave listener is about 50-70 years old, looking for something to do in the long, slow summer evenings, and likely views Aldrin, Armstrong, etc. as the scientific superman explorers of their generation. I can think of a few worse random names to silkscreen on, given that context.

I want a Stephen Hawking edition Grundig with built in RTTY text to speech synth =/

edit: Does the Richard Dawkins Special Edition filter out the megawatt religious stations? THAT'd be a selling point.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

I want a Stephen Hawking edition Grundig with built in RTTY text to speech synth =/

edit: Does the Richard Dawkins Special Edition filter out the megawatt religious stations? THAT'd be a selling point.

The one including both would be the "Hawkin' & Dawkin' Signature Edition."

Holy Jesus masturbating on horseback, I want that radio SO BAD.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
For any interested numbers afficionados, I have Novembeer Lady calling out phonetic alphabet stuff on 7689 kHz right now (22.09z). (I am in Wales).

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

stinky ox posted:

For any interested numbers afficionados, I have Novembeer Lady calling out phonetic alphabet stuff on 7689 kHz right now (22.09z). (I am in Wales).

Do you mean the Mossad E10 station? November lady was an old term for the west German 2 letter stations that have been retired for a very long time, at least I'm fairly sure.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

AstroZamboni posted:

Do you mean the Mossad E10 station? November lady was an old term for the west German 2 letter stations that have been retired for a very long time, at least I'm fairly sure.

Yeah, I think it's the Mossad station. I just call her Novembeer Lady because she has that odd pronunciation of November as "Novembeer" :). She's quite frequently heard around here.

Bloody big message tonight, she's been at it for ages. Pity the poor spy who's having to write all this down.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

stinky ox posted:

Yeah, I think it's the Mossad station. I just call her Novembeer Lady because she has that odd pronunciation of November as "Novembeer" :). She's quite frequently heard around here.

Bloody big message tonight, she's been at it for ages. Pity the poor spy who's having to write all this down.

Have you the current schedule for this station?

Long rainy night, they mustn't have much else to do ;)

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

meltie posted:

Have you the current schedule for this station?

Long rainy night, they mustn't have much else to do ;)

Well there's a schedule for Mossad E10 on this page:

http://www.spynumbers.com/

- can't find the frequency I heard it on in that schedule though. According to the frequency list here:

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page52.html

maybe it was E1. But I don't know how up to date those lists are, for all I know they may well have changed by now.

[edit] definitely not e1, having listened to a recording of it. Looks like it was a Mossad E10 station from this list:

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page69.html

quote:

CIO KPA MIW SYN VLB and GPO draw on a pool of frequencies below.

Transmission times----CIO h+45 KPA h+15 MIW h+15 SYN h+45 VLB h+45.

1735 2120 2515 2540 2953 3090 3270 3485 3640 4165 4360 4665 4780 5170 5230 5380 5435 5530 5629 6370 6658 6745 6930 6986 7445 7605 7613 7690 7811 8025 8127 8465 8641 8805 9270 9382 10125 10352 10820 10970 12376 12747 12950 13190 13921 14000 14750 14866 15016 17170 17966 18177.

stinky ox fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 28, 2008

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Most E10 transmissions go on for about 45 minutes. Same with E3 and V2. I was kind of shocked when I first started listening to number transmissions. All I had head before were the edited snippets on "The Conet Project" and didn't know how long he transmissions really went.

Sorry for the mix-up. I just thought "Novembeer" was a typo. I was thinking of the Old 2-letter stations and DFD21/DFC37. The female voice narrating those stations was sometimes called "November Lady" because the most famous of the stations was "Papa November.'

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

Most E10 transmissions go on for about 45 minutes. Same with E3 and V2. I was kind of shocked when I first started listening to number transmissions. All I had head before were the edited snippets on "The Conet Project" and didn't know how long he transmissions really went.

Sorry for the mix-up. I just thought "Novembeer" was a typo. I was thinking of the Old 2-letter stations and DFD21/DFC37. The female voice narrating those stations was sometimes called "November Lady" because the most famous of the stations was "Papa November.'

I wished someone had told me that they went on for so long as well. The first time I heard the Spanish Lady it was so cool. Then it kept going for five minutes. I would go to another station for a while and check back, and it was still going. I fell asleep listening to it after 45 minutes. I had some pretty weird dreams that night.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Any suggestions on how to optimize my chances of catching numbers broadcasts, or is it pretty much just "read the text file to get times and likely frequencies, and hope you get lucky"?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Illegal Clown posted:

I wished someone had told me that they went on for so long as well. The first time I heard the Spanish Lady it was so cool. Then it kept going for five minutes. I would go to another station for a while and check back, and it was still going. I fell asleep listening to it after 45 minutes. I had some pretty weird dreams that night.

I once spent a week listening to the Conet Project every night as I was falling asleep. I had some hosed up dreams that week, I can tell you what. It was an experiment to see if I could drive myself insane. I think it might have worked, although I think I might have been insane in the first place to have attempted that kind of experiment.

Accursed posted:

Any suggestions on how to optimize my chances of catching numbers broadcasts, or is it pretty much just "read the text file to get times and likely frequencies, and hope you get lucky"?

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING! This is exactly how you optimize your chances of catching number traffic. There is no better way, and there probably won't ever be due to the clandestine nature of the stations themselves.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 28, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

AstroZamboni posted:

New addition to Eton/Grundig's product lineup, the "G6 Buzz Aldrin Edition."

http://etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=545912

Basically just an E6 with the words "Buzz Aldrin Edition" on it next to a little spacesuit logo. Now, I'm as much of an apollo nut as anyone, but I still have to ask WHY?

Because of this: http://youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=mQKxAqpjroo

You do not gently caress with Buzz Aldrin :fry:

Edit: Either way, it looks like the regular E6 and the Buzz Aldrin special are both the same price on Amazon, so at least they aren't trying to charge you extra money for some screen printing on the case ;)

bladernr fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 28, 2008

• Locked thread