Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

colonoscopy posted:

From months ago, I know, but it was referenced recently. Anyway, interested in whether there's an external reference (somewhat academic website, book, etc) beyond "that forum thread" for this kind of number. I Googled briefly but without knowing even the right kind of search terms, so to no avail.
I stole those values from a presentation by a professor of mine, so unfortunately I have no openly available sources in English to quote.
You seem to be able to find a fair number of articles by googling "subjective travel time". Unfortunately I can't help much more today since I need to go to sleep now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

edit: misread that as "subjective time travel." That would be awesome.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

GWBBQ posted:

edit: misread that as "subjective time travel." That would be awesome.

OK, I know I went back and shot Hitler, but nobody believes me :(

-----

Here's the penultimate installment of Work Zone Safety! We're nearly at the end.

Ima has a bit of a brain-teaser for us! Unfortunately, someone already got to this page and solved the puzzle :smith: Well, apparently, everyone's favorite cone has semen which can zombify women, and enjoys making tremendous shambling armies from his lifeless conquests.

What's the difference between a bulldozer with treads and one with wheels? I get the feeling I didn't watch enough construction equipment videos as a kid.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Cichlidae posted:

What's the difference between a bulldozer with treads and one with wheels? I get the feeling I didn't watch enough construction equipment videos as a kid.

Bulldozers have treads. If it has wheels, it's a front-end loader. Bulldozers have treads for more traction because they push stuff around. Front end loaders scoop it up off the ground and carry it.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
Great thread Cichlidae. Spent a few days reading through the first 30 pages of this thread, so hopefully I won't rehash anything already brought up. I live in eastern CT, so a lot of the topics you bring up are familiar to me. You mentioned https://www.kurumi.com which is a favorite site of mine. I am also a railroad fan, and there is no shortage of forums for that. So I was always looking for a forum that dealt with road topics, so thanks a lot! I will try to ask my questions one at a time, so as to not hog your time.

First, do you have any idea what this device on CT2 is? It is located between exits 22 and 21, closer to exit 22. As you can partially see from the photo, there is some sort of device that has a weathervane on it. There are also corresponding marks on both the eastbound and westbound sides that seem to be pavement sensors of some sort. What is this?
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8...cbp=12,310,,0,5

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

smackfu posted:

I've always wondered how this came about :

It's an overpass on I-84 at exit 15 that only goes to the gated back entrance of a corporate park. It just makes no sense for this to exist. It's probably the least used overpass in CT.

Sorry, I said I would not inundate you with questions, but what about the Maplewood Cemetary Overpass in Norwich, CT? This Overpass has not been used yet, as far as I know, since the cemetary hasn't extended over I395.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...005659&t=k&z=18

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

NightGyr posted:

Bulldozers have treads. If it has wheels, it's a front-end loader. Bulldozers have treads for more traction because they push stuff around. Front end loaders scoop it up off the ground and carry it.

Ah, there we go. We never had a construction management class in my civil engineering curriculum, so I have to learn this sort of thing secondhand!

porkfriedrice posted:

Great thread Cichlidae. Spent a few days reading through the first 30 pages of this thread, so hopefully I won't rehash anything already brought up. I live in eastern CT, so a lot of the topics you bring up are familiar to me. You mentioned http://www.kurumi.com which is a favorite site of mine. I am also a railroad fan, and there is no shortage of forums for that. So I was always looking for a forum that dealt with road topics, so thanks a lot! I will try to ask my questions one at a time, so as to not hog your time.

No problem, I've got nothing if not time.

quote:

First, do you have any idea what this device on CT2 is? It is located between exits 22 and 21, closer to exit 22. As you can partially see from the photo, there is some sort of device that has a weathervane on it. There are also corresponding marks on both the eastbound and westbound sides that seem to be pavement sensors of some sort. What is this?

I just did a repaving job that went past there, from the CT 354 on-ramp to Exit 22 in Lebanon. I think the ARRA signs are still up, but in very bad shape. The Contractor's supposed to take them down once he puts in the final pavement markings. The loops are continuous count stations, for keeping track of the number of cars that go past. It has two loops in each lane, which, properly tuned, can get vehicle classification and speed as well. The stuff in the median, I believe, is a weather station, but I'm not positive. I can try checking out the contract plans tomorrow and see if it's marked. I've noticed it as well when I drive through there. I know we're putting in a weather station within the Route 11 interchange.

quote:

Sorry, I said I would not inundate you with questions, but what about the Maplewood Cemetary Overpass in Norwich, CT? This Overpass has not been used yet, as far as I know, since the cemetary hasn't extended over I395.

I'll check out the bridge number when I get back to work tomorrow, but it's most likely just for the reason you said: to allow the cemetery to expand. Dead bodies is a growth industry, after all! Perhaps, when 395 was built, they had to relocate some graves and built the overpass as a concession.

Could be worse! Route 10 in Rhode Island was built on top of a graveyard. A sanatorium graveyard, no less, filled with tuberculosis patients. A few years ago, the embankments started to erode, and bones fell out. Carcieri and the head of the DOT held a reinterment ceremony at a proper cemetery.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

porkfriedrice posted:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...005659&t=k&z=18

I checked, and the bridge was built sequentially, which means it's an original part of I-395. Looking at the old aerials, it was definitely meant to support an eventual expansion of the graveyard.

1934:

1965:

1991:

As to the weather station on Route 2, I checked the project plans. We installed both loops and weight-in-motion piezoelectric sensors. They can determine the weight, speed, classification, and wheel spacing of any vehicle.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
While still on the subject of I395 in Connecticut, do you think that there will ever be a rebuild of the I395/ CT2 interchange? I skimmed the infrastructure capitol plan on the CTDOT website and didn't see it mentioned. It seems that there is an accident there every month. Not only is the cloverleaf dangerous, it is also incomplete. For others who read this that don't know, there is no access for I395 northbound from Route 2 westbound, and no access for Route 2 westbound from I395 southbound. So in order to avoid using surface streets to go in these directions, you must do what my wife calls the loop de loop de loop. To get to Route 2 WB from I395 SB, you must take exit 81, then immediately take exit 28N from Route 2, then immediately take exit 81W from I395, then merge onto Route west. Is there any way to make this interchange complete, and of course make it safer? Just looking at the satellite photos, there doesn't seem to be much room there for expansion.
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&ll=41.546352,-72.108593&spn=0.004882,0.011319&z=17

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

So, on highways, there are those bulldozer tread marks on the shoulder. What are those called, and what's their purpose? I've always heard it's the wake people up or startle them if they're drifting off the highway. Is this true, or is there some other motive?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

porkfriedrice posted:

While still on the subject of I395 in Connecticut, do you think that there will ever be a rebuild of the I395/ CT2 interchange? I skimmed the infrastructure capitol plan on the CTDOT website and didn't see it mentioned. It seems that there is an accident there every month. Not only is the cloverleaf dangerous, it is also incomplete. For others who read this that don't know, there is no access for I395 northbound from Route 2 westbound, and no access for Route 2 westbound from I395 southbound. So in order to avoid using surface streets to go in these directions, you must do what my wife calls the loop de loop de loop. To get to Route 2 WB from I395 SB, you must take exit 81, then immediately take exit 28N from Route 2, then immediately take exit 81W from I395, then merge onto Route west. Is there any way to make this interchange complete, and of course make it safer? Just looking at the satellite photos, there doesn't seem to be much room there for expansion.
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&ll=41.546352,-72.108593&spn=0.004882,0.011319&z=17

The easiest way to get from I-395 SB to Route 2 WB is to take the previous exit, and drive on West Town Street. I'm not sure why the interchange wasn't made complete to begin with, because they just left out the diagonal ramps. Those wouldn't have caused a weaving problem like the loop ramps do.

It really does need to be fixed. We've gotten rid of almost every other cloverleaf in the state. Unfortunately, though, we don't even have the money to design the new interchange, let alone build it. Maybe we can get started in ten years.

I'm actually going out to the District 2 HQ in Norwich today, so I'll get to drive through it. Yay!

ijustam posted:

So, on highways, there are those bulldozer tread marks on the shoulder. What are those called, and what's their purpose? I've always heard it's the wake people up or startle them if they're drifting off the highway. Is this true, or is there some other motive?

That's exactly their purpose. The FHWA says they have a cost/benefit ratio between 30:1 and 60:1, which seems about right, since they only cost about 20 cents/foot to install. We first installed them, as a test, on a half-mile stretch of Route 2. A couple months later, my boss got a call from an old lady thanking him for installing them; she'd fallen asleep, and if she hadn't hit the rumble strips, she would have gone off the road and crashed. After that, we've been installing them statewide.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Cichlidae posted:

As to the weather station on Route 2, I checked the project plans. We installed both loops and weight-in-motion piezoelectric sensors. They can determine the weight, speed, classification, and wheel spacing of any vehicle.

Assumedly to keep trucks from skipping weigh stations?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

kefkafloyd posted:

Assumedly to keep trucks from skipping weigh stations?

They can't scan license plates or anything, and even an overweight truck could have a permit. It's more for maintenance, so they can see the kind of tonnage (and therefore ESAL) using the road.

In fact, I don't think I went into ESAL before, so I may as well explain it now. From the above link, "An 80 kN (18,000 lbs) single axle does over 3,000 times more damage to a pavement than an 8.9 kN (2,000 lbs) single axle (1.000/0.0003 ˜ 3,333)."

Back in 1960, AASHO (now called AASHTO, since they don't want to be called rear end-ho anymore) did some road tests, basically making a bunch of trucks drive in big ovals for months and months. The results of this test show how much load flexible (asphalt) and rigid (concrete) pavements can take before breaking down. They're all quantified in terms of the Equivalent Single Axle Load (ESAL), which is a single axle bearing 18,000 pounds.

The damage an axle does is proportional to the fourth power of its load. Therefore, a single 10,000 pound axle is only 0.118 ESAL on asphalt, 0.082 on concrete. Furthermore, spreading the weight over two closely spaced axles reduces the damage even more. A 10,000 pound tandem axle is only 0.011/0.013 ESAL (higher on concrete this time). Looking at it a different way, a single 18,000 pound axle does 500 times more damage to the pavement than 9x 2,000 pound axles, and 9 times more damage than an 18,000 pound tandem axle.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
Was the recent resurfacing project on CT Route 2 near Colchester resricted to just the travel lanes and not the shoulders to save money? Not that the shoulders needed new pavement, just curious.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

porkfriedrice posted:

Was the recent resurfacing project on CT Route 2 near Colchester resricted to just the travel lanes and not the shoulders to save money? Not that the shoulders needed new pavement, just curious.

Yep, that's it exactly. When resurfacing, we have three options: pave the travel lanes, pave the rumble strips as well, or pave the whole surface. Originally, on Route 2, we were going to just do the travel lanes. But since the I-91 resurfacing job bid so low (Route 2 was paved with the money left over), and the rumble strips weren't in great shape, we chose to mill to the outside of the rumble strips.

However, after the project went out, the chief of engineering sent an email saying that, from now on, we should just mill the whole thing. During construction, having the travel lanes 2" lower than the shoulders leads to water ponding, and it's uncomfortable for anyone who strays into the shoulder to have to cross a 2" lip at 70 mph. It also looks pretty weird to have the shoulder pavement 10 years older than the travel lanes. So, in the future, we'll probably pave the whole thing at once. It's a bit more expensive, but it's practical.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
So they're tearing up large chunks of DC's 495 beltway to put in all-new HOT lanes. Are these lanes going to improve things enough to be worth the years of construction traffic and major road closings?

I like the idea, especially cause 90% of my travel is by motorcycle, and so exempt from the tolls, but HOT lanes just seem like they'd be impossible to enforce, and that people would be cheating them to the point that it wouldn't help in the least.

How does a city enforce a high-occupancy-toll anyway? The toll part's easy, just bill ezpass or something. But how does the system know to not bill you when you're carpooling?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

That's exactly their purpose. The FHWA says they have a cost/benefit ratio between 30:1 and 60:1, which seems about right, since they only cost about 20 cents/foot to install. We first installed them, as a test, on a half-mile stretch of Route 2. A couple months later, my boss got a call from an old lady thanking him for installing them; she'd fallen asleep, and if she hadn't hit the rumble strips, she would have gone off the road and crashed. After that, we've been installing them statewide.
They've snapped me back to attention a few times while driving tired. I probably wouldn't have crashed without them, but the adrenaline rush from being startled definitely kept me awake until I was home. Being able to scare the poo poo out of sleeping or inattentive passengers on long trips by veering over for a second is a bonus.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

chryst posted:

So they're tearing up large chunks of DC's 495 beltway to put in all-new HOT lanes. Are these lanes going to improve things enough to be worth the years of construction traffic and major road closings?

I like the idea, especially cause 90% of my travel is by motorcycle, and so exempt from the tolls, but HOT lanes just seem like they'd be impossible to enforce, and that people would be cheating them to the point that it wouldn't help in the least.

How does a city enforce a high-occupancy-toll anyway? The toll part's easy, just bill ezpass or something. But how does the system know to not bill you when you're carpooling?

Enforcement in HOV/HOT lanes is a tricky thing. Every year, someone goes out and counts the number of cars using the HOV lanes, where they get on and off, and how many people are in each car. While I can't find the exact stats at the moment, I recall that they carried the most passengers when they were first built in the early 1990s. They carry more cars now, but with lower occupancy. There is also a nontrivial percentage (my memory says about 15%) of single-occupant vehicles.

I haven't ever seen someone get pulled out of an HOV lane. There's no left shoulder, and it would be imprudent to pull into the divider, not to mention there's almost nowhere a trooper could park that would let him both count the number of occupants and chase someone down.

I haven't had any experience with HOT lanes (no tolls in CT), but it's not all that hard to take a picture of the interior of each car as it drives through the toll booth. As long as the car has an ETC transponder, if someone scans the photos and sees a car with one person, they could send a fine. Of course, this is easy to fool and somewhat invasive. I don't think the honor system will work without enforcement, though.

-----

So, today, it was nice and sunny! Time to go do field work?

And risk getting stuck in a cheap state car with no air conditioning? gently caress no! Soon, though, I promise, I'll get some more nice pictures.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cichlidae posted:

I haven't ever seen someone get pulled out of an HOV lane. There's no left shoulder, and it would be imprudent to pull into the divider, not to mention there's almost nowhere a trooper could park that would let him both count the number of occupants and chase someone down.

They do this all the time in AZ. Hottest spot I see for it is in the mornings, US60 westbound - DPS motorcycle officers will set up shop (sometimes two or three at a time) underneath one of the bridges for shade, and will pick off anyone running the lane solo. Works out well there because they have excellent line of sight, and it's a high-congestion area during rush hour so it's the most tempting spot for someone to jump into the HOV lane.

quote:

I haven't had any experience with HOT lanes (no tolls in CT), but it's not all that hard to take a picture of the interior of each car as it drives through the toll booth. As long as the car has an ETC transponder, if someone scans the photos and sees a car with one person, they could send a fine. Of course, this is easy to fool and somewhat invasive. I don't think the honor system will work without enforcement, though.

I believe the camera setup is exactly how California is doing it.

Edit: On the topic of how AZ is (not) loving things up, the freeway speed cameras are coming down! :woop:

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 26, 2010

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

IOwnCalculus posted:

They do this all the time in AZ. Hottest spot I see for it is in the mornings, US60 westbound - DPS motorcycle officers will set up shop (sometimes two or three at a time) underneath one of the bridges for shade, and will pick off anyone running the lane solo. Works out well there because they have excellent line of sight, and it's a high-congestion area during rush hour so it's the most tempting spot for someone to jump into the HOV lane.

Are the HOV lanes physically separated by a barrier, or just by pavement markings?

quote:

I believe the camera setup is exactly how California is doing it.

Edit: On the topic of how AZ is (not) loving things up, the freeway speed cameras are coming down! :woop:

Getting rid of speed cameras is good news for everyone!

-----

And with that, it's time for the final installment of Work Zone Safety!

Welcome to one of the most screwed-up street networks I've ever seen. Dead ends all over, six-way intersections, no turning lanes (or lanes at all, for that matter), and no through routes to speak of. All the same, the route from school to home is pretty simple:

There you go, Ima. I've solved your foul puzzle. Now, what did you have in mind?

I... I... :aaa: You rear end in a top hat! That's not how signs work! What the hell? You're going to kill someone! I can't believe you'd make such an obviously dangerous situation even worse! That's not how you use barricades! Why is there a detour? Why aren't the detour signs orange? Why isn't the pedestrian sign yellow or FYG? And the Dead End sign? It's not a dead end! It's not supposed to be white, either! How come most of the detour signs don't even say detour? What route are we supposed to be taking, anyway? Why can't I turn left there? This isn't easy at all! I swear to god, you little poo poo, I'm going to steal a bulldozer (not a front loader), hunt you down, and run it back, and forth, and back, and forth, and back, and forth again over your broken corpse, grinding you into dust, and then sprinkle it across an asphalt worker's sweat-and-tar-coated rear end in a top hat, then scrape it off with the side of a construction sign and burn it in a pyre fueled with the wood from a thousand battered barricades. Shithead.

THAT is how you do it, you retroreflective retard! Now what's your parting shot, hmm? What final gem of wisdom do you have to offer before I set off to crush you and your rebellion with a pair of treads?

Oh, that's just great. I'm sure the 911 operator will be very pleased when you inform her that the 1 Hour Parking sign in front of the bank is bent. Thanks a lot, Ima. You and your friends have been so helpful. America and the world at large appreciate your sacrifices in the name of traffic safety.

Edit: I really hate traffic cones.

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 27, 2010

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Cichlidae posted:

Oh, that's just great. I'm sure the 911 operator will be very pleased when you inform her that the 1 Hour Parking sign in front of the bank is bent. Thanks a lot, Ima. You and your friends have been so helpful. America and the world at large appreciate your sacrifices in the name of traffic safety.

Railroad crossings being the notable exception to this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cichlidae posted:

Are the HOV lanes physically separated by a barrier, or just by pavement markings?

Pavement markings (though it is near a point where there is a HOV-only ramp between 60 and 10). Amazingly, even though you can see them from quite a ways away, they still end up pulling over plenty of people; I suspect they may have someone parked on an overpass further ahead spotting for them.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Crackpipe posted:

Railroad crossings being the notable exception to this.

Yes, we have signs posted at our grade crossings to this effect, with the cross street and milepoint. Other signs, not so much. We lost a stop/do not enter sign up the street about 6 months ago and nobody's made an effort to replace it. People end up driving the wrong way pretty often. I want to call up the property owner and go nuts (none of their stuff complies with the MUTCD), but it could be perceived as bullying.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Pavement markings (though it is near a point where there is a HOV-only ramp between 60 and 10). Amazingly, even though you can see them from quite a ways away, they still end up pulling over plenty of people; I suspect they may have someone parked on an overpass further ahead spotting for them.

That's how we do it here. Problem is, we installed ours back in the early 1990s before there were standards. Our HOV divider uses these markings:

Single 4" white line - White/yellow chevrons - Single 4" yellow line

And here's what the MUTCD now says to use when crossing the divider is prohibited:

Double 12" white line - White chevrons - Double 12" white line

So not only did we get the colors wrong, we only put in 8" of width when we need 48". That's going to be pretty expensive (about $10/linear foot) when we finally decide to re-apply them.

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 27, 2010

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Cichlidae posted:

Yes, we have signs posted at our grade crossings to this effect, with the cross street and milepoint. Other signs, not so much. We lost a stop/do not enter sign up the street about 6 months ago and nobody's made an effort to replace it. People end up driving the wrong way pretty often. I want to call up the property owner and go nuts (none of their stuff complies with the MUTCD), but it could be perceived as bullying.

That's how we do it here. Problem is, we installed ours back in the early 1990s before there were standards. Our HOV divider uses these markings:

Single 4" white line - White chevrons - Single 4" yellow line

And here's what the MUTCD now says to use when crossing the divider is prohibited:

Double 12" white line - White chevrons - Double 12" white line

So not only did we get the colors wrong, we only put in 8" of width when we need 48". That's going to be pretty expensive (about $10/linear foot) when we finally decide to re-apply them.

When I was driving to New York a few weeks ago I saw a cop camping out in the median on 84 in I want to say Vernon-ish. I was in the HOV lane with my buddy and I figure the only thing he could have been doing was trying to bust people not obeying the rules of the carpool lane. There's certainly no way he'd be able to cross the divider to bust speeders in the other four lanes of traffic.

Still, couldn't a cop pull you over into the divider or even on to the grass median? There's no physical barriers.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

kefkafloyd posted:

When I was driving to New York a few weeks ago I saw a cop camping out in the median on 84 in I want to say Vernon-ish. I was in the HOV lane with my buddy and I figure the only thing he could have been doing was trying to bust people not obeying the rules of the carpool lane. There's certainly no way he'd be able to cross the divider to bust speeders in the other four lanes of traffic.

Still, couldn't a cop pull you over into the divider or even on to the grass median? There's no physical barriers.

Alright, I guess they do enforce it :)

We (the DOT) generally don't like it when anyone drives in the divider, as the pavement there is very thin and can't support much weight. As to the median, that'd work in a more rural area. Once you get to I-384, there's Jersey barrier.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Cichlidae posted:

Alright, I guess they do enforce it :)

We (the DOT) generally don't like it when anyone drives in the divider, as the pavement there is very thin and can't support much weight. As to the median, that'd work in a more rural area. Once you get to I-384, there's Jersey barrier.

The divider on I-91 is also full of what appears to be rocks, glass, and other debris, so driving on it would be hazardous to your tires too. But surely the cops could stop someone on the divider for at least a short period of time? It's not like a sinkhole's going to open up... is it?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

kefkafloyd posted:

The divider on I-91 is also full of what appears to be rocks, glass, and other debris, so driving on it would be hazardous to your tires too. But surely the cops could stop someone on the divider for at least a short period of time? It's not like a sinkhole's going to open up... is it?

It's not just that the asphalt is 2" thick, and there is some gravel beneath to help it hold its shape. Would you feel safe getting out of your car and potentially arresting someone when you're surrounded on both sides by traffic going 70+ mph? I know cops have balls of steel, but we don't even let road workers work between active traffic lanes when they're protected by barriers.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I've seen someone cross the HOV divider on either 84 or 91 on the way up to UCONN Storrs, I forget exactly where. It seemed to dip down in the middle and their car bounced like they had gone over a curb. It didn't look pleasant.

Cichlidae posted:

And with that, it's time for the final installment of Work Zone Safety!

Welcome to one of the most screwed-up street networks I've ever seen. Dead ends all over, six-way intersections, no turning lanes (or lanes at all, for that matter), and no through routes to speak of. All the same, the route from school to home is pretty simple: Downtown Stamford

dexter
Jun 24, 2003

Cichlidae posted:

In San Diego CHP either sits in the middle of the freeway behind a bridge support or just does 15-20mph faster than the rest of traffic and looks into each vehicle. If you have a Fastrak transponder there's a light above each lane every few miles that illuminates when a vehicle with a transponder goes under it.

Gotta love the people who give you the finger for slowing down in the carpool lanes... 1/4 of a mile before they get pulled over by the same motorcycle officer who sits on the shoulder almost every day.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
I FINALLY finished my preliminary review of the Busway's "final" signing and pavement marking plans. 600 square feet (56 m^2) of this:

For the record, it's taken me at least a month just to look over this submission, find all the signs, and review them. If I'd been allowed to do it all myself, it might've taken a week, possibly two, to complete the whole thing once and for all. Whatever! I'm just so happy to finally have it off my desk! I can start working on projects that have a chance of being built in the next couple years.

Lobstaman
Nov 4, 2005
This is where the magic happens
now that that is taken care of, can we get down to some serious business like the Connecticut Monorail Project

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Lobstaman posted:

now that that is taken care of, can we get down to some serious business like the Connecticut Monorail Project

That's not a terrible idea, honestly, but I doubt it's cost-effective. Building two new bridges across the Connecticut River alone would cost a few hundred million, and there's really no room between I-91 and the Colt Armory, unless you're building the monorail above Van Dyke.

In my opinion, it'd be better to build a rail system that's interoperable with our current system, which would leave open the option of expansion in the future and suburban rail to Manchester. As is, it's purely a tourist option, and a $5 billion one, at that.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Lobstaman posted:

"Gov. M. Jodi Rell has endorsed the Connecticut River Monorail concept because, she says, with only one rail, it should cost half as much as a train."
Yup, that sums up our state government in a single sentence. Election day can't come soon enough.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

GWBBQ posted:

"Gov. M. Jodi Rell has endorsed the Connecticut River Monorail concept because, she says, with only one rail, it should cost half as much as a train."
Yup, that sums up our state government in a single sentence. Election day can't come soon enough.

I'm pretty sure those are satirical. Check out the rest:

Scientists said Tuesday that even if global warming causes much of Hartford to be flooded, The Connecticut River Monorail will be fully operational.

The annual Easter egg hunt aboard The Connecticut River Monorail has been postponed until Easter of 2020, when the monorail is expected to be fully operational.

Sunday's Superbowl game will be broadcast on all Connecticut River Monorail cars, but riders must bring their own chips and guacamole.

Anyone with a ticket stub from Sunday's Colts-Pats playoff game may ride for free this week on the Connecticut River Monorail.

Members of the new state legislature Wednesday could take a complimentary ride to their first session on The Connecticut River Monorail -- if previous sessions had had the foresight to plan, fund and build it.

Next week's NE Magazine will be distributed to passengers aboard the Connecticut River Monorail -- for FREE!

The Connecticut River Monorail between East Hartford's Rentschler Field and West Hartford Center has a perfect safety record.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
In my town there is a crossing known as the bane of all practice drivers.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...003433&t=h&z=19

In the immediate area there are 3 major attractions, meaning there is a lot of pedestrians crossing back and forth. There are buses and metro trains, and those trains are infamous for having long break distances, which means they have right of way. Always. They also approach the crossing from all possible directions, one of which is down a rather steep slope.

I hated this crossing before I got used to it. Do you see any way to make it simpler? My mother refuses to drive in it.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater
I think the only thing you could do to that is attempt to grade separate it either with tunnels or bridges.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

noblergt posted:

I think the only thing you could do to that is attempt to grade separate it either with tunnels or bridges.

Grade separation would be possible, though expensive, with tunnels. It would also simplify the road network and free up a lot more room for pedestrians. Since this is in a fairly major city, it would be a good investment.

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
Any such tunnels would have to be fairly deep: most of Gothenburg resides on mud. That's the reason why the metro trains are above ground, in contrast to for example Stockholm, where they are underground. Bridges is a possibility I guess.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
The DC Metro and Chicago subway are both carved out of mud. Also, only a limited section of the SL subway system is underground precisely because the bedrock starts two inches down. The above-ground sections start quite early from T-Centralen, and well into the areas built-up before construction started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Sorry if this is addressed elsewhere:

Can you explain what's happening with CT 11 dead-ending in Salem? Seems like Hartford <-> New London is an important route.

Google Maps link