Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
I've been pretty hooked on Hellblazer for the past few months. Up to issue 70 and loving it. Constantine is an incredibly cool and fun character. Can anyone weigh in on if the series gets better or worse throughout its run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Treebeh posted:

I've been pretty hooked on Hellblazer for the past few months. Up to issue 70 and loving it. Constantine is an incredibly cool and fun character. Can anyone weigh in on if the series gets better or worse throughout its run?

It inevitably has dips and peaks. Azzarello's run is unmitigated poo poo and can be avoided (you will hear some disagreement about the former), Carey's run is great, and Denise Mina's is one of the least necessary things you'll ever read.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I tried to marathon read the series and Azzarello's run was so loving bad it stopped me cold for like a year.

Andy Diggle's run is also bad in that it goes and retcons some interesting aspects of John's history and makes it a lot more juvenile and 2002-era webcomic-y.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Mraagvpeine posted:

I recently finished reading the most recent Fables volumes. Holy poo poo, what the hell happened? At least it's ending soon.

The Real Bill Willingham happened.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Just finished reading Unwritten Fables. What a pointless diversion, both for breaking the pacing of the story (I feel for anyone who had to wait months for that to finish) and both for showing that Fables could actually have been decent if a better writer had a handle on it. It was good to see Mr. Dark actually be evil and do stuff instead of just nyar har haring in his castle and killing a few errant dudes.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Just finished reading Unwritten Fables. What a pointless diversion, both for breaking the pacing of the story (I feel for anyone who had to wait months for that to finish) and both for showing that Fables could actually have been decent if a better writer had a handle on it. It was good to see Mr. Dark actually be evil and do stuff instead of just nyar har haring in his castle and killing a few errant dudes.

Yes it wAs awful at the time too but you gotta admit it has a fuckin great ending.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I stand by it's the best thing to come out of Fables in a long time but the worst part of The Unwritten.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So I finally finished marathoning through Unwritten, and I thought that the pacing in the second half was a lot worse. The jumps were just a lot bigger and inexplicable, and I felt that the introduction of Didge (who really needed to be in it more) and Daniel Armitage (who really did not) just felt like a waste, since they ultimately didn't lead to anything. I guess without that backbone of conspiracy the pacing didn't have something quite as strong to work with, especially without much in the way of an antagonist until the end, but I was hoping for more of a buildup for that final confrontation, so much so that I almost feel that there was a volume missing or something. The Fables volume felt even more of a waste in this regard, since it didn't do a goddamn thing in setting anything up. I'm still not even sure what Rausche's endgame was, and although mostly superfluous, what the deal with Pullman's hand was.

Also, anything involving Wilson in the last issue was pretty heartbreaking.

Overall still a great read, but doesn't quite hit the same high notes as Lucifer or Sandman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SDCC: Vertigo Adds 12 New Titles to Its Fall Lineup
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/sdcc-vertigo-adds-12-new-titles-to-its-fall-lineup

quote:

In addition to continuing series "American Vampire," "Astro City" and"Suiciders," DC Comics' creator-driven imprint Vertigo will launch twelve new titles from both Vertigo veterans and creators new to the line, including Darwyn Cooke, Gilbert Hernandez, Mike Allred, Holly Black, Lauren Beukes and Gail Simone. At their Comic-Con International panel on Thursday, Vertigo announced the titles and creative teams for the series, which will debut over a three-month period starting in October.

"This is a groundbreaking rollout for Vertigo and all 12 new titles represent the imprint at its core: smart and irreverent stories that will take you someplace stranger," stated Shelly Bond, executive editor of Vertigo. "I can't be more excited about the diversity of projects and creative teams we have lined up, from Vertigo veterans to a powerhouse of new voices and rising art stars."

October will see the launch of "The Twilight Children" #1 by Gilbert Hernandez and Darwyn Cooke; "Survivors' Club" #1 by Lauren Beukes, Dale Halvorsen and Ryan Kelly; "Clean Room #1" by Gail Simone and Jon Davis-Hunt; and "Art Ops" #1 by Shaun Simon and Michael Allred.

This November, "Unfollow" #1 by Rob Williams and Mike Dowling; "Slash & Burn" #1 by Si Spencer, Max Dunbar and Ande Parks; "Red Thorn" #1 by David Baillie and Meghan Hetrick; and "Jacked" #1 by Eric Kripke and John Higgins will arrive at retailers.

In December, "Sheriff of Baghdad" #1 by Tom King and Mitch Gerads; "New Romancer #1 by Peter Milligan and Brett Parson; "Lucifer" #1 by Holly Black and Lee Garbett; and "Last Gang in Town" #1 by Simon Oliver and Rufus Dayglo will hit the shelves.

"When Shelly Bond offered me an opportunity to launch something new at Vertigo, I took that as a chance to fast talk her into collaborating with Gilbert Hernandez, one of the world's great cartoonists," Darwyn Cooke said in a press release. "'The Twilight Children' has me excited in a way I haven't felt since I started work on Parker. To enter Gilbert's world and help him bring this remarkable story to Vertigo and our readers...well, I'm gushing, it's an honor."

The panel was also set to include a farewell video from "Fables" creator Bill Willingham, with issue #150 -- the last issue of the long-running series -- set for release later this month.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 10, 2015

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I love Darwyn Cooke, but why the gently caress would anyone need to draw for Gilbert Hernandez besides Gilbert?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Someone, who is not Mike Carey, is writing a new Lucifer series? I am unsure how to feel about this.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

cptn_dr posted:

Someone, who is not Mike Carey, is writing a new Lucifer series? I am unsure how to feel about this.

It's bound to be better than the TV show.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Thank you, DC, for announcing so many lackluster "refreshes" for your fall launches (though Amy Chu writing Poison Ivy oughtta be cool), I can pick up the best of these Vertigos instead. Hot diggity drat, this news makes me happy!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's bound to be better than the TV show.

You're assuming it doesn't tie straight into the TV show that launches at the same time.

The end of Carey's run was final. This can't be a sequel and be good.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Lucifer, Mazikeen, the Lux nightclub, Duma and Remiel and such appeared as part of the Sandman IP. Who owns the story elements written solely by Mike Carey?

the Carey-written series did have some sequel bones tossed in at the end (the last appearance of Izanami) but was otherwise self-contained

it is apparently not a sequel, but "good" remains to be seen:

quote:

Black and Garbett’s ongoing “Lucifer” series will find God dead and the erstwhile lord-of-Hell-turned-nightclub-impresario accused of the murder by no less than his own angelic brother, Gabriel. If Lucifer can prove his innocence, not only will his sins be forgotten – but he’ll be welcomed back into the Silver City. (The character is also the subject of an upcoming television adaptation on Fox.)

quote:

LUCIFER

Any hint as to who the suspects are, biblically? Names we’d know?

Black : Well, the first name we will know isn’t so much a suspect as the former angel charged to solve the murder of The Presence — Gabriel.

I really loved Gabriel’s story line from “Hellblazer.” He ended up with his heart crushed and being sent to Hell as a mortal — which meant he was still in play. I was interested in the idea of forcing he and Lucifer to investigate a murder together. Gabriel knows Lucifer in a way that few other beings do, as a brother. And Gabriel has plenty of reasons to hate him, so there’s a lot of interesting tension. Yet, they also have a common cause.

Garbett : Yeah, that’s going to be a really strong aspect of the first arc, I think. The friction between the main characters, the mistrust and bad blood. I love drawing emotional beats and body language, so I’m really looking forward to portraying that dynamic in the artwork. That and all the magic, demons and horror.

With it being an ongoing series, will the God killer be a running theme as other matters come up, or is this just the first arc?

Black: The murderer will be discovered by the end of the first arc, but the answer may create more questions.

What’s life like for Lucifer on the road? What sort of car does he drive? What’s his favorite state besides California?

Black: Lucifer drives a white convertible with the top always down, even in rainstorms. I imagine that there’s no place where Lucifer doesn’t feel perfectly at home, but I suspect he has a preference for old cities, cities with layers.

Garbett: L.A.’s glitzy veneer, dark underbelly and even darker past is a perfect fit for Lucifer -- but he pretty much owns any space he’s in, or certainly plays it that way.

What sort of odd-couple-on-the-road type moments will we be dealing with?

Black: One of the most fun parts of writing this has been sending Lucifer to familiar places, where things have changed in his absence. Some people are happy to have him back, many are less so. Writing Gabriel and Lucifer’s return to Hell was one of my favorite bits because of the way they play off each other.

Garbett: I can’t wait to get to that. The balance of light and dark in Holly’s script is one of the things that’s so fantastic about her Lucifer. Along with the genuine sense of weight and drama, you get these very cool character moments, with great dialogue that just really puts the flesh on the bones of the world. I started reading issue No. 1 and was totally hooked.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ronya posted:

Lucifer, Mazikeen, the Lux nightclub, Duma and Remiel and such appeared as part of the Sandman IP. Who owns the story elements written solely by Mike Carey?

the Carey-written series did have some sequel bones tossed in at the end (the last appearance of Izanami) but was otherwise self-contained

It also ends with Lucifer irrevocably leaving creation and God still alive, so this plot literally cannot work within continuity unless Bobby Ewing is God.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ronya posted:

DC. Carey might have some portion of it, but I kinda doubt it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

DC. Carey might have some portion of it, but I kinda doubt it.

Pretty sure he has none as he was working on a non creator owned series.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The last volume of Fables came out. Who read it and how disappointing was it? I'm not sure I want to read it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mraagvpeine posted:

The last volume of Fables came out. Who read it and how disappointing was it? I'm not sure I want to read it.

It had this

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What are the essential Vertigo series?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kurtofan posted:

Depends what you means?
The "classics" (or first wave) would be stuff like Sandman, Preacher, Transmetropolitan, Invisibles, Doom Patrol, Lucifer. You could also go into the proto-Vertigo titles (ie stuff that was released before Vertigo existed but helped make Vertigo what it is, for which Sandman kind of falls into). These titles include Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run and Morrison's Animal Man.
Post first wave stuff includes Y: The Last Man, 100 Bullets, Sweet Tooth, Fables, Unknown Soldier, Unwritten.

All of these would be considered "essential" and are really excellent books (I guess excepting Fables which I haven't read and seems to get mixed reviews).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

In terms of the ones that are most popular/influential, I'd say Sandman, Lucifer, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Preacher, Y: The Last Man, Unwritten, Fables? Maybe 100 Bullets and DMZ?

Looking through the Vertigo list on Wikipedia now, I completely forgot about Saucer Country... man, I really wish they hadn't axed that after a year, it was like my ideal blend of racial politics and alien conspiracy theories.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Essential Vertigo is Sandman (including Death: The High Cost of Living but not the ancillary material), Lucifer, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Y: The Last Man, The Unwritten and Transmetropolitan. That doesn't mean there isn't other stuff you should read, but that's the core.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

Jedit posted:

Essential Vertigo is Sandman (including Death: The High Cost of Living but not the ancillary material), Lucifer, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Y: The Last Man, The Unwritten and Transmetropolitan. That doesn't mean there isn't other stuff you should read, but that's the core.

This is the right answer but you forgot Preacher and Scalped, assuming you want to be depressed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Everything kinda fizzles out. Remember how Gepetto growing new wooden soldiers was an important plot point? That storyline is never going to be resolved

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Treebeh posted:

This is the right answer but you forgot Preacher and Scalped, assuming you want to be depressed.

Preacher isn't essential. It would have been, if it had run 24 or 36 issues and cut out most of the pointless sexual perversion, but as was it was bloated and it lost its own continuity halfway through.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Finally got around to reading the final Fables. For a comic that at one point was probably my most looked forward to release each month, I'm amazed by how little I really cared about it by the end,. It's a shame because I'm pretty sure it was a legit great comic at one point, but by the end I cared so little about any of the characters and wasn't at all invested in any of the conflicts. The Snow\ Red rivalry seemed so forced it was had to believe, and I don't think anyone ever seriously expected the series to end with Bigby as a bad guy, so there wasn't a whole lot of tension there. And Brandish had to keep fighting people for like a hundred issues and that was pretty dull too. So I'm glad to see something I once loved finally put out of it's misery.

I did really enjoy some of the back up material though. A lot of the 'Final Stories' after the main story were kind of fun and interesting and the Dare one particularly got a little pang out of me, which surprised me, seeing as how I thought I felt nothing for any of these characters.

Plus its good not to be giving Bill Willingham any money any more, since he seems to be going full on Frank Miller: http://www.themarysue.com/dissenting-opinions-may-occur/

Also, in Vertigo chat, I don't think anyone's mentioned The Invisibles which is pretty classic Vertigo. As for more recent stuff, you're doing yourself a massive disservice if you don't read Daytripper because it is a beautiful thing. I also have a massive soft spot for Army@love, if anyone even remembers that one.

Edit:

Alhazred posted:

Everything kinda fizzles out. Remember how Gepetto growing new wooden soldiers was an important plot point? That storyline is never going to be resolved

Did you actually read the last issue? Because this was addressed.

krakagar fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 4, 2015

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

krakagar posted:

Did you actually read the last issue? Because this was addressed.

Gepetto makes a speech in front of his wooden soldiers and then it ends. That's not resolution

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Gepetto makes a speech in front of his wooden soldiers and then it ends. That's not resolution

I guess. But it shows that Gepetto followed through with his plan to create more soldiers and try and build a new empire, which was always his plan. We don't see what happens next, but I think it's enough. The point of all those stories was to show that the mundy world is magical now, and also that there are plenty more stories to be told that we just wont see. Not everything gets tied up neatly in a bow. I guess they could have done another arc or a spin off or something about it if they wanted to, but you could do that with hundreds of other characters and sub plots. I don't think it particularly detracts from the overall ending of the series though.

Unless you're saying that they built it up to be a bigger plot point than it eventually turned out to be? I don't particularly remember it being a massive thing, but then again I haven't re-read any of the more recent Fables stuff and might well have forgotten the significance of it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Generally if you introduce a plot point you should finish it no matter how unimportant is. Though it being unimportant is just sloppy writing in general.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Jedit posted:

Preacher isn't essential. It would have been, if it had run 24 or 36 issues and cut out most of the pointless sexual perversion, but as was it was bloated and it lost its own continuity halfway through.

If bloat and losing the plot get you off the list then better remove Transmet and Y, and maybe Lucifer, and definitely not Invisibles or 100 Bullets. Alternatively Preacher is representative of Vertigo's better output and despite bloat and meandering is an decently paced, entertaining book that doesn't crash and burn nearly as badly as other books from the same era, and also had a good wraps things up final issue.

Other good additions would be Sweet Tooth, American Vampire, Doom Patrol, Animal Man, and The Filth.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Generally if you introduce a plot point you should finish it no matter how unimportant is. Though it being unimportant is just sloppy writing in general.

I get what you guys are saying, and if you didn't like that particular part, that's fine. But I don't really see how it wasn't resolved? I mean he was threatening to raise an army again, and was then shown to be following through on that threat. It wasn't left dangling. Not that I'm saying Willinghams writing hasn't been sloppy in places, and there's lots I didn't like about parts of Fables, but I don't really get the problem with this one aspect.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Also if you want bloated, meandering Vertigo then I give you Shade, the Changing Man. Christ that book took a nosedive after issue 25 or so... and ended nearly 50 issues later.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Zachack posted:

If bloat and losing the plot get you off the list then better remove Transmet and Y, and maybe Lucifer, and definitely not Invisibles or 100 Bullets. Alternatively Preacher is representative of Vertigo's better output and despite bloat and meandering is an decently paced, entertaining book that doesn't crash and burn nearly as badly as other books from the same era, and also had a good wraps things up final issue.

Other good additions would be Sweet Tooth, American Vampire, Doom Patrol, Animal Man, and The Filth.

What this guy said. Especially about 100 Bullets which starts of great but looses momentum quickly.

I think The Filth might be Morrisons most perfect book.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Ahahaha inviting Bill Willingham to moderate a panel on Writing Women in Comics is about as smart an idea as asking Frank Miller to speak on sensitive depictions of Islam. Dude is just not equipped; his female characters have always been clumsily written and very sexist, even when Fables was "good."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

krakagar posted:

What this guy said. Especially about 100 Bullets which starts of great but looses momentum quickly.

He was saying that 100 Bullets wasn't bloated, I thought.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Jedit posted:

He was saying that 100 Bullets wasn't bloated, I thought.

I worded it poorly but 100 Bullets is definitely bloated yet frequently referred to as a Vertigo classic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

krakagar posted:

I get what you guys are saying, and if you didn't like that particular part, that's fine. But I don't really see how it wasn't resolved? I mean he was threatening to raise an army again, and was then shown to be following through on that threat. It wasn't left dangling. Not that I'm saying Willinghams writing hasn't been sloppy in places, and there's lots I didn't like about parts of Fables, but I don't really get the problem with this one aspect.

Did he do with the army? No? Then yeah it was left dangling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
100 Bullets is padded as gently caress. Also, not very good.

• Locked thread