Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Red_Fred posted:

What's the deal with skills sections on CVs? I understand that generally this is a no-go but I feel that often the CV becomes the first screen when you apply for a job so if you mention all your skills in your cover letter then you might get dumped straight away before they even get to your cover letter.

Every recruiter I've worked with has demanded a skills section that basically amounts to an alphabet soup list of language/technology that I know. As I understand it, the skills list makes it easier for them and the client's HRD to quickly assess if you meet their requirements. Digging through 500 words to determine what you know is tedious and error-prone.

For that reason, I believe a skills section is a definite yes-go for technology workers. In general, the people who will be actually interviewing you will ignore it in favor of looking at what you actually did in your previous jobs. It is certainly important, though, in some companies to get your resume past HR and a skills list is the simplest, quickest and most effective way of ensuring your resume gets forwarded.

Think about it this way: if you're in charge of sorting through 20 resumes for a person skilled in ATR, BNN, HFDF and EERR (yes, I made those up), would you rather read a half-dozen paragraphs to find them, or check them off out of an enumerated list of skill? Hint: one of those is substantially faster and much less boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

oRenj9 posted:

Think about it this way: if you're in charge of sorting through 20 resumes for a person skilled in ATR, BNN, HFDF and EERR (yes, I made those up), would you rather read a half-dozen paragraphs to find them, or check them off out of an enumerated list of skill? Hint: one of those is substantially faster and much less boring.

It really helps the automated parsing system they will be using to extract your skill set keywords if they appear in a list under a heading of "skills". Then their recruitment management system can easily filter people out based on some crummy stemming created by an intern and the laundry list of keywords they screen scraped from the job advert place by the original company.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
So, unit-testing. Should I end up having a lot more test code than application code?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Safe and Secure! posted:

So, unit-testing. Should I end up having a lot more test code than application code?

Possibly. If your code is very complex, you'll probably end up with a lot of different test scenarios.

Using a code coverage tool can help you minimize the amount of redundant tests you write, although having 100% coverage doesn't necessarily mean that all of your scenarios are tested. I mainly use coverage tools to ensure that I haven't missed any logical branches. Of course, if you've fully tested all of your scenarios and you have sections of code that aren't being hit, that could also mean that you have extraneous code that you can remove.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Safe and Secure! posted:

A lot more? Probably not. A very rough and flexible rule of thumb would be "an equal amount". Remember that tests are also code, and should be cleaned up and maintained, with duplicate code extracted/removed and so forth.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Safe and Secure! posted:

I'd say yes, but your testing code should be stunningly dull. You should be able to write unit test code without thinking about it. It's almost a complete no-brainer to add more tests, try not to get too carried away though. A general rule is to test at the edges, e.g. if your function takes a list, test with an empty list, a single element and a list of some typical number of items. That should get your test count nice and high.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
You've probably gone too far when the tests for your testing helper functions are longer than your application.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Alrighty. I've been reusing chunks of very similar setup code in each test, with the actual testing being quite small, on the order of three or four lines. I guess that makes my tests lovely and non-maintainable in addition to being too long, so I'll refactor them somehow. Thanks, everyone.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Safe and Secure! posted:

Alrighty. I've been reusing chunks of very similar setup code in each test, with the actual testing being quite small, on the order of three or four lines. I guess that makes my tests lovely and non-maintainable in addition to being too long, so I'll refactor them somehow. Thanks, everyone.

write some before callbacks and put the chunks in there, pretty much every testing suite comes with this.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

write some before callbacks and put the chunks in there, pretty much every testing suite comes with this.

There can be some confusing nomenclature surrounding this, nearly every testing framework comes with it's own set of definitions for "test", "test case", "test suite", "test module", "test harness", etc.... I suspect what Safe and Secure! should be looking out for is defining setup and teardown methods for whatever their framework calls a group of related tests.

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot
Has anyone ever interviewed with Etsy before? I just got off the phone with them for an interview and it was rather... odd to say the least. After the interview I went to their site and found this:

http://www.etsy.com/careers/?ref=ft_careers (watch the video)

Wish I had seen that before the interview...

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

how!! posted:

Has anyone ever interviewed with Etsy before? I just got off the phone with them for an interview and it was rather... odd to say the least. After the interview I went to their site and found this:

I dunno the posting for "Intrinsically Motivated Full Stack Product Hacker" sounded kinda cool.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Kind of rant incoming:

Had a phone screen today for a junior level .NET position, it was a conference call between the VP of App Development and some HR rep.

The call went EXTREMELY well, as far as the actual development topics with the VP. He expressed interest in my non traditional background (and became probably the 9th person to tell me that people with music degrees make excellent developers), and said that he would like to have me in next week to meet the team I would be joining, etc.

"STOP RIGHT THERE" says Mr HR. "I'd like for him to take a couple more of these assessments."

So more assessments it is.

Ugh.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
HR being able to overrule the vp of the division that's hiring you, and in such a brazen manner, is pretty freakin :catstare:, although I guess in your situation you're going to just bite the bullet :(

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

aBagorn posted:

Kind of rant incoming:

Had a phone screen today for a junior level .NET position, it was a conference call between the VP of App Development and some HR rep.

The call went EXTREMELY well, as far as the actual development topics with the VP. He expressed interest in my non traditional background (and became probably the 9th person to tell me that people with music degrees make excellent developers), and said that he would like to have me in next week to meet the team I would be joining, etc.

"STOP RIGHT THERE" says Mr HR. "I'd like for him to take a couple more of these assessments."

So more assessments it is.

Ugh.
I've read this a couple times and based on my experience negotiating and conducting interviews, the two best responses in this scenario are as follows:

1) "To be quite frank, I wasn't expecting someone with a background in HR to be capable of stringing more than three words together in a sentence!"
2) "I can loving code so get of my jock already you loving dickwinkle!"

This will free up your time to look elsewhere!

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Otto Skorzeny posted:

HR being able to overrule the vp of the division that's hiring you, and in such a brazen manner, is pretty freakin :catstare:, although I guess in your situation you're going to just bite the bullet :(

Apparently not. Just got an email from the VP asking if I was good to come in Wednesday.

Sounds like someone threw their weight around.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

aBagorn posted:

Apparently not. Just got an email from the VP asking if I was good to come in Wednesday.

Sounds like someone threw their weight around.

Sounds like the HR person is a huge tool and everyone in that company probably knows it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

The HR person should ever only be in 2 interviews. The first one to make sure you're not a putz and the first or last person to interview you onsite to try and get you to take $20k for the job.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

aBagorn posted:

Honestly I'm surprised the HR person was even on the call to begin with. Good luck with your on-site!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

The HR person should ever only be in 2 interviews. The first one to make sure you're not a putz and the first or last person to interview you onsite to try and get you to take $20k for the job.

Yup. They're not expected to make technical talent evaluations for the most part so them being involved in them is pretty stupid.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Strong Sauce posted:

More like 0 interviews. If I go in for an interview and the first thing they do is have an HR person talk to me about stuff, that's a pretty bad first impression. Having any interviewers from HR at all means they're not really trying to compete for developers.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

Yup. They're not qualified to make technical talent evaluations

fixed

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
In any interview process I've been through with a company that was worth a drat, talking to HR was the last step -- and frequently it wasn't a step at all.

If a phone interview starts with a bunch of soft skills questions about dealing with mean people and where I see myself in 10 years, it's a really bad sign.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The only job interview I've had where HR was involved in the actual interview process was for a job that required security clearance and the HR person was there to make sure I could get it and understood the implications of it.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
Anyone ever have an interviewer leave to "go put out a fire" only to return 10 minutes later talking about how they delivered a network cable then have you recap the first half of the conversation?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I've been noticing interviewers using a lot of profanity in the past year or so. I don't know if it's a general trend, or if I was just interviewed by some thoroughly unprofessional people. It doesn't bother me, but it's always surprising. I'm one of those people that has trouble gauging where the line between appropriately inappropriate and inappropriately inappropriate lies, so I just err on the side of always being 100% appropriate in a professional setting.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
You can also say things that have innuendo that might raise some red flags. For example, it is more appropriate to say "Tell Trevor that we found a bug in his TFS project and sent him an update to the address listed on his codeplex project" than it is to say "Four hours last night I was elbow-deep in Trevor's intellectual property, let me know when he's at his desk". Especially if you pantomime punching through an O-ring when saying 'elbow deep' and then use finger quotes on 'intellectual property'.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Haha, what the gently caress^

And yea Ithaqua, the very first interview I ever had the company had this "Giving back to the community" program, where employees could take a few days off per year if they were doing some volunteer work which I thought was kind of neat. I asked one of the three separate people that interviewed me that day (HR-> Dept. Head -> Senior Dev...gently caress that poo poo) more about it and he said, "Oh I don't know, it's some poo poo that.." then explained what it was and how nobody does it.

I was quite shocked at the time.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I swear all the time at work. Everyone does here. Someone was uhming and ahhing about rolling out a fix for something that was pretty broken, so I told him to put his balls on the table and push it out. It very much depends on the culture. It's more important that you fit in than always do X or Y. Of course, it's important that you want to fit in, and that you feel comfortable doing what you need to do to fit in. It's the same with dress code - you could wear a suit to work everyday here, but everyone would think you're an arsehole.

I try not to swear when interviewing people though, that's a little odd.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Milotic posted:

I swear all the time at work. Everyone does here. Someone was uhming and ahhing about rolling out a fix for something that was pretty broken, so I told him to put his balls on the table and push it out. It very much depends on the culture. It's more important that you fit in than always do X or Y. Of course, it's important that you want to fit in, and that you feel comfortable doing what you need to do to fit in. It's the same with dress code - you could wear a suit to work everyday here, but everyone would think you're an arsehole.

I try not to swear when interviewing people though, that's a little odd.

Well, I was talking about interviews specifically. I worked at one place where we said horrible, offensive, terrible things all the time.

One place, the president of the company sat in on the interview and made a comment about my current employer (an online retailer specializing in bras/panties, but also sold men's underwear): "I was looking at your website, and you guys have a lot of hot models!"

My response was: "Yeah, there are! Wait... are you talking about the male models?"

I didn't really care about getting that job, but they still made me an offer. For 10% less than what I asked for. :v:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ithaqua posted:

Well, I was talking about interviews specifically. I worked at one place where we said horrible, offensive, terrible things all the time.

One place, the president of the company sat in on the interview and made a comment about my current employer (an online retailer specializing in bras/panties, but also sold men's underwear): "I was looking at your website, and you guys have a lot of hot models!"

My response was: "Yeah, there are! Wait... are you talking about the male models?"

I didn't really care about getting that job, but they still made me an offer. For 10% less than what I asked for. :v:

Gotta be careful about that topic specifically. You never know if the old-money CEO is violently homophobic and will hate you personally for even joking about his sexual proclivities.

That said, I'm 100% sure their offer amount had nothing to do with your comment. These days, pushing hard for slave wages is apparently good business.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
I'll be applying for graduate positions next month and at the moment I'm practicing interview style programming questions. I came across a question yesterday which involves converting any string of roman numerals to its numeric equivalent. This is what I came up with in the shortest time possible: http://pastebin.com/Bt1VgxhP

Would an interviewer expect a more elegant solution, even considering time constraints?

dmccaff fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 22, 2012

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
The algorithm looks fine, but you should 1) initialize the numerals from an array or a map or something instead of repeating switch statements, and 2) use more meaningful names than "cur" or "numeric".

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I would go for putting the Numerals into a Map<String,Integer> or something as well, rather than switching over and over again. I would create methods for doing things rather than all inline. You have String args getting passed into your main but you don't use them which is odd, it will always process the string "VII" which is not any string. But that could just be how the question is worded. I would also comment it to say what you're doing.

That said it looks fine really, mostly just personal taste.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 22, 2012

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Che Delilas posted:

Gotta be careful about that topic specifically. You never know if the old-money CEO is violently homophobic and will hate you personally for even joking about his sexual proclivities.

That said, I'm 100% sure their offer amount had nothing to do with your comment. These days, pushing hard for slave wages is apparently good business.

Yeah, I just didn't care. I had just accepted another job offer (for my current job!), so I was just going on the interview as a formality. They seemed to have their poo poo together, but the president of the company talking about former employees being "loving morons" and hot models during the interview was a bit offputting.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Control loops are a massive source of bugs. Use a for-each loop wherever possible.

for(Integer integer : collectionOfIntegers). Screw up proof, and someone reading it doesn't have to pay attention at all.

No chance for an 'aww shucks guys, sorry about all that time you spent hunting down the <= where it should have been a <'.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

how!! posted:

Nice try, Etsy, but that pales in comparison to CODE CLASS

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
So what kind of companies do I want to work for if I want to maximize my hourly compensation? I understand that some (e.g., game industry) industries have particularly bad reputations for this, but I don't of any with good ones.

I started thinking about this when three of my friends graduated and immediately got jobs making $60k/yr, with what they described as excellent benefits, in an area with a low-ish cost of living, where they were told flat-out that working more than forty hours a week would be very rare. The work doesn't sound too interesting - apparently they make software that is used to manage data within the company - and they were all the youngest members of their teams, which is kind of significant since one of them was thirty-one years old.

I was just wondering, are there similar jobs in places I would actually want to live, where I won't be writing enterprise software in Java? If so, how do I find them? Is it a matter of just applying to every job I can find, then asking in the interview what kind of hours I would be expected to work?

I don't really have anything against working more hours, but I want to get paid as well for them as possible. I'd much rather work 40hr/wk for $60k than 50-60hr/wk for say, $70k*.

* - I pulled $70k out of my rear end. I'm just assuming that jobs that pay slightly more than average will probably expect much more work than average.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Safe and Secure! posted:

So what kind of companies do I want to work for if I want to maximize my hourly compensation? I understand that some (e.g., game industry) industries have particularly bad reputations for this, but I don't of any with good ones.

You get paid more if you live in a place with a high cost of living, with what you might call a shortage of developers. People working in the SF bay area or NYC or Boston (or Chicago?) get paid more than people living in Omaha.

(The companies that maximize developer compensation are perhaps high frequency trading outfits that need some kind of platform on which to perform trades. I don't know exactly where in that area the line between developer begins and quant ends, though.)

It seems that "web development", or jobs advertised as such, pay less than other jobs.

quote:

* - I pulled $70k out of my rear end. I'm just assuming that jobs that pay slightly more than average will probably expect much more work than average.

70k is what I got in Boston for my first job out of college, in 2008, working 30-40 hours a week. Non-sucky interns interning in the SF bay area in 2012 make more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I have heard many times now that the game industry is a pain to work for. Could anyone elaborate past the whole "deadlines suck" part? Any stories or grievances would be interesting to me.