Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If cheap cellos are anything like cheap anything else that I have played, it might be semi-playable after you spend an additional 2-3x the price on getting it fixed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Brief Liberia update, we finally have wireless internet so I'll try to get more back into this thread.

I'm mainly playing my Parks PVC tinwhistle, and glad I didn't bring much nice stuff here since my leather boots, belts, and goddam silk necktie are all developing mold from the monsoon season's constant damp. I'm totally buying a plastic ukulele as soon as I get access to APO mail, probably an Outdoor Ukulele tenor. Also I bought a plastic-bodied Stagi concertina on eBay to muck with, but that'll also have to wait on mail. I think I may also spring for a PVC shakuhachi from one British dude on eBay, and might get a double-drone NAF from Northern Spirit, made of ABS plastic. This hitch is really making me value durable travel instruments.

Still no dice on finding music stores in this country, but I should be getting a motorbike soon so it'll be easier to explore. The drums I've seen for sale have all been tourist-quality junk, but the elementary school down the street from me lets this drumming club/band/whatever practice there in the evenings and weekends, so I really need to get bold and just wander in and start meeting people and find out from them where I can get a decent talking drum. Though I still might end up wanting to get a synthetic body/head talking drum from Meinl because, goddam the climate here is nasty on gear. Plus I'm living right by the ocean, so metal likes to corrode.

This tour is going to give me a good excuse to acquire more plastic instruments, might get a set of plastic rhythm bones, plastic ocarina, etc. Does anyone currently make a plastic baritone ukulele (not counting crazy-expensive carbon fiber ones) or is the OU tenor the largest option? I know plenty of companies are making inexpensive plastic soprano ukes now, so I might buy a small case of those for friends or to give away to a school or something.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
It's not the summer but I have recently purchased a Bansuri (transverse bamboo flute) and am learning how to hold it and make the right sounds. Any experience/resources/advice would be awesome!

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
To keep this thread going on the weird instrument train, I just bought a kelhorn. It's a capped double-reed instrument with a doubled-back bore, so while being the size of a large recorder, it goes down to a nice, low C. My wife refers to it as the farting duck pipe because I am not good at it yet, but it is a fun little instrument.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Anyone have an recommendations for a multi-chambered ocarina? I picked up the regular ocarina because of this thread and am getting fairly proficient, but missing some range. Looking for a double, preferably in alto c. Have my eye on the standard straw-fired focalink DAC right now but I'm open to hearing better options in the same price range.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Spruce Pine, unspecified 'pine', 'walnut'

Note to anyone interested in the bones... Pine being quiet is a lie! Maybe in comparison to other sets, but any set of bones is loud as gently caress and risks annoying people near and dear to you.

This has quickly gone from a vague interest into a collection.

I was so caught up in ordering another set of bones (walnut, far right) to play with my left hand too, that I didn't realize I'd have to teach myself all over again with the left hand instead. Now I have three sets after a very nice friend made me a set (far left), and I can't even play two-handed.

My right hand makes triplets easily but my left struggles to even get a single clack most of the time. It's kind of hilarious.

I will say, the two on the right were made by Rick Fogel of Whamdiddle.com and the pair on the left was made by my friend, and he made them thinner than the ones from Whamdiddle on accident, and I have to say I think I like the thinner bones more.

I feel like I have a lot more control over them than the Whamdiddle bones, because they just move so much more easily, and they're still quite loud. My friend's are also much flatter instead of slightly bulbous like Rick's, and slightly skinnier .

I hope to soon learn how to play two-handed like Dom Flemons, and form some stronger opinions on the differences between the sets, but for now I'm just having fun with them.

My friend plans to make me an even better set soon, as this was his first time making a set, and I can't wait to see them.

Other bones players: do you think the thinner set being slightly easier to play with might be a sort of 'kid gloves' effect, where after 'training' with the thicker bones, going to the thinner ones only feels easier in comparison?

Also, does anyone have recommendations on something good to use as a 'mute'? I used a bunch of rubber bands on the anvil for a while and it worked fine to deafen the sound, turning the loud clacking into more of a quiet thud, however it made them way bouncier and probably affected my muscle memory a lot when I practiced. Also it left a kind of funny tanline on the anvil bone, it looks like it's been wearing a bikini because the covered part of the wood is a bit lighter.

Lavender Philtrum fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 11, 2015

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

subpar anachronism posted:

Anyone have an recommendations for a multi-chambered ocarina? I picked up the regular ocarina because of this thread and am getting fairly proficient, but missing some range. Looking for a double, preferably in alto c. Have my eye on the standard straw-fired focalink DAC right now but I'm open to hearing better options in the same price range.

I have a Focalink forte DAC and a Pacchioni "P" alto C triple. They have about the same range, but in my opinion there is just no comparison in terms of playability. The Pacchioni is way way better. The fingering is logical, intonation is better, finger placement and mouth movement are easier, and I like the sound better too. Of course, the question of the sound is important - there's the pure clean Japanese/Taiwanese style versus the more breathy Italian style, and I have a personal preference for the latter.

Uh, sorry, price range of those doesn't match though :) For closer in price you can get the Pacchioni double with less range but (I imagine) all the other benefits. You could get a Pacchioni "V" style double that has the same range as the Focalink double, but you'd lose the huge fingering advantage and the intonation probably isn't quite as good either (haven't tried one myself).

It's worth getting a login to read Pacchioni's rant about it: http://www.giorgiopacchioni.com/ocarinanuova/doppia_pacchioni.php This agrees with my own small experience so far.

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 12, 2015

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm trying very hard to access that Pacchioni page to at least check it out but I can't even seem to make it through registration to get a proper login. :sigh: I see Osawa Satoshi has a few of them in his collection supposedly, but I can't seem to get any price info anywhere. I saw a single picture of the Pacchioni on facebook and it looked gorgeous, but I'm afraid it's going to be out of my current price range. I'm out of work right now and the Focalink is just barely in my price range unfortunately. Thanks for the reply!

e: contacted Mr Pacchioni and realized that you need extra login details which he kindly provides while I was sleeping. Suspicions confirmed, if this is USD it's probably super out of my price range since the Canadian dollar is so weak right now. :(

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 12, 2015

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Hate to double post, but I've got an update! A Pacchioni was definitely out of my range but a very kind goon offered me a fantastic deal on the instrument I was looking at originally (the forte version of the Focalink Double AC) since they had a similar instrument they preferred. I got it yesterday afternoon when I got home and am in love with it! Like I haven't contemplated trying to learn sheet since I was about eleven, but this makes me want to learn. Thanks again you beautiful goon. Merry Christmas to me! :dance:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Discovered this thread 2 months ago, and it helped me discover a previously unknown love of Irish trad music. Been listening to almost nothing else since. I've been tootling around with a Jerry Freeman Mellow Dog whistle for a month or so, and just opened a Doug Tipple flute for Christmas this morning. :toot:

Shame I can't make a sound come out of the drat thing, but hey, I'll get it eventually.

This thread is seriously awesome, by the way, so much music I had no idea existed.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, somebody got me a cute little 12 string harp for christmas . . .

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

There has been some mention of it in this thread, so perhaps this is the right place to ask: Does anyone know of any good resources to learn how to play the hulusi? I managed to get my hands on one in China.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

a7m2 posted:

There has been some mention of it in this thread, so perhaps this is the right place to ask: Does anyone know of any good resources to learn how to play the hulusi? I managed to get my hands on one in China.

I might have been the one to talk about the hulusi, but like with all my other instruments I just improvise on it. I have no idea how to learn it.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

No Gravitas posted:

I might have been the one to talk about the hulusi, but like with all my other instruments I just improvise on it. I have no idea how to learn it.

Ah, right. I'm not very experienced with instruments, especially flutes and the like, so I'd like some material to work with. I might just get lessons, but finding a teacher in China who speaks English might be a challenge and it'll be a few years before my Chinese is up to snuff.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

a7m2 posted:

Ah, right. I'm not very experienced with instruments, especially flutes and the like, so I'd like some material to work with. I might just get lessons, but finding a teacher in China who speaks English might be a challenge and it'll be a few years before my Chinese is up to snuff.

I wouldn't sweat the language issue, a lot of music stuff can be taught pretty well non-verbally. If you have a Chinese friend that can handle the internet hunting and emailing for you, you might want to just give a shot at trying a lesson even with a teacher that doesn't speak English (if the cost is low) and just see how much you can figure out. I took some lessons on duty in Tajikistan with only okay Persian skills and no musical vocal in Persian, and took a clavichord lesson when I was in Berlin this spring from a woman who spoke little English. Worth a shot in any case.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Good news, bad news.

The good is I was catching up on stuff that's been released in the past year and realized that the awesome-looking Linnstrument MIDI controller is out. It's all kinds of touch-sensitive, reads all sorts of different parameters and whatnot, and generally multi-dimensional keyboards excite me.

The bad news: it's $1500. :negative:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Neato. Gonna go watch some Linn videos for a minute.

Reminds me of that harpejji thing, did somebody already post it in here? I forget where I saw it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr87Z7rZiWE

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

The bad news: it's $1500.

Did you try any of the iPad apps that seem to be inspired by it (if you have one)?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Good news, I'm getting my life slightly back together and leaving West Africa soon, so I plan this week to repost the banner ad for this thread and lure in more prospective musicians. So watch for updates soon.

In the immediate moment to keep the thread from going dormant, if anyone knows any hardcore reenactment folks, on eBay for just $500 they have an early, early-style lute up right now. Don't know the maker or seller so do your own investigation, but this could be a really good deal for someone. I would be sorely tempted had I not already bought a lute this month and it's sitting in my house in Austin awaiting my return from Liberia.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Medieval-Lute-by-Harold-Westover-1987-/182094394074?hash=item2a65abf2da:g:lSIAAOSwVghXEWSR

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 18, 2016

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Thanks to this thread I got a cheapo Harley Benton mandolin several months ago, it may not be great but I got it largely to accompany the songs I sing with my kindergarten class so it does its job. Half of the kids constantly harrass their parents to get them an instrument of some kind so if they stay interested that's mission accomplished. Also, it being so cheap means that if/when it gets broken at school I won't be out a month's pay.

e: We just got off spring break today and one parent said her kid basically forces her to get him a ukelele which he's been strumming on all day every day for two weeks. Success!

Soviet Commubot fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 18, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

I also have a standing offer to help goons find eBay used dulcimers and help you get a good one for under $100 shipped.

Alright I posted several months ago about an interest in buying a dulcimer and I've been kicking it around ever since. I have a few things for sale on eBay/Craigslist so I'll have some disposable income soon and I'd like to take you up on this offer.

There's a lot of dulcimers on eBay, but I have no idea what's good and what's crap.

Alternatively to eBay, what do people think about Applecreek? Obviously not expecting anything luxurious, but it's the same price as the cardboard ones and doesn't require assembly (plus is a four string).

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 22, 2016

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Apple Creek are pretty hit-or-miss; I've played some ones that were decent (if unexciting) but I've heard of others having to do a lot of tweaking. I certainly wouldn't buy one new.

I just bought a couple dulcimers on eBay so that they'll be sitting at my house in Austin when I get back from Africa, figure I'll maybe teach some lessons or something when I get back, and I found several good deals under $100. I take it you're looking at the budget end of the spectrum? Mainly what I do is look for dulcimers that are either from recognized okay brands (scaling on price by rep), or made by individual makers that either are mentioned online as credible, or that visually appear to know what they're doing as best as can be told from a photo. The risk with individual makers (and really more the recent ones, internet-era) is you get some hacks who know how to build a table and figure that means they can be a luthier and sell clunky as hell and poorly set-up dulcimers at craft shows (I've bought one or two accidentally, but thankfully very cheap). And there are some kinda crappy dulcimers that are still worth buying at $50 or so, Hughes being the hands-down example, and quite common, and I can recognizes Hughes on-sight now. I'm actually slightly fond of the little clunkers, they're just not worth much.

Here's what looks good to me this week:

* Details about Hollis E. Long 1979 Dulcimer: 5 string (nice bonus), no 6.5 fret means it's limited to more traditional music (but you can have a fret added later if you're handy or want to put more money into it). I'd go as high as $100 total for it if I were you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hollis-E-Long-1979-Dulcimer-/282013304298?hash=item41a94d85ea:g:zToAAOSwJSJXGXKc

* Cheap older import one, just one day left to bid, probably nothing exciting but got a little retro-junk appeal, and bidding is way low; if you can get it for $50 total that'd be fine, but you'd grow out of it after serious playing, sell it to a friend and upgrade:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Appalachian...~0AAOSwJQdXCsN0

That's if your budget is <$100, if you can wiggle to $150 there are more things, but honestly I myself enjoy the funkiness of getting the cheapies, lot of interesting variety. Remind me again in a few days and I can do a new pull. This week is slightly light on cheapies, last week had probably four or five I'd have recommended (two of which I bought for myself), so easy to find something if you're not in huge hurry.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 22, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Thanks a ton for the advice. I'll pass on buying the Applecreek then.

I'll give a poke in a few days for some new picks, in that case!

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Starting to look into uilleann pipes, due to playing a ton of tin whistle and säckpipa lately and having an immense desire to fuse the two. Thankfully found a local teacher who's given me some whistle exercises to cross over, but now I'm at the hard part - actually finding a set that won't bankrupt me or that isn't behind a two-year waiting list is pretty difficult.

Already monitoring most of the sites, but if anyone has a line on a set of used Daye pipes, I'd love to hear it.

Also looking to sell my dulcimer, as it definitely doesn't get enough use. It's a Clemmer five-string, looks absolutely gorgeous, and is in great condition - while it was a wall-hanger for a few years, I've been doing a lot of luth work lately and gave it a once-over in the workshop. Not exactly super-relevant, but I know there's enough goons here looking at instruments that it might interest someone.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Ooh, Clemmers are pretty cool, what are you looking for on yours? One of those 5-strings with the kind of curved bracket cutouts in the sides? Out of probably 75+ dulcimers I've owned, the Clemmer-kit I once had is still a mystery. I can't figure out if I loaned it to someone and forgot to get it back, sold it, gifted it, or still have it somewhere in a case. I guess it's not as bad as loosing track of a handgun amongst many, but it's still slightly vexing me.

For uilleann, have you read up on Seth Hamon's UPs since you like his sackpipa you have? I think Seth is also working to add Northumbrian smallpipes to his repertoire. David Daye is usually the go-to workable cheapie so far as I know, but Seth's polymer ones are pretty inexpensive, I just haven't read much on the reviews.

For shopping around, I take it you've checked the classifieds on the usual suspects, Dunsire Forum, Chiff&Fipple, TheSession.org, etc?

Are you looking to play mostly Irish trad (and eventually get full drones and regulators) or mostly interested in the chanter as a versatile instrument for a variety of musical styles?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Ooh, Clemmers are pretty cool, what are you looking for on yours? One of those 5-strings with the kind of curved bracket cutouts in the sides? Out of probably 75+ dulcimers I've owned, the Clemmer-kit I once had is still a mystery. I can't figure out if I loaned it to someone and forgot to get it back, sold it, gifted it, or still have it somewhere in a case. I guess it's not as bad as loosing track of a handgun amongst many, but it's still slightly vexing me.

For uilleann, have you read up on Seth Hamon's UPs since you like his sackpipa you have? I think Seth is also working to add Northumbrian smallpipes to his repertoire. David Daye is usually the go-to workable cheapie so far as I know, but Seth's polymer ones are pretty inexpensive, I just haven't read much on the reviews.

For shopping around, I take it you've checked the classifieds on the usual suspects, Dunsire Forum, Chiff&Fipple, TheSession.org, etc?

Are you looking to play mostly Irish trad (and eventually get full drones and regulators) or mostly interested in the chanter as a versatile instrument for a variety of musical styles?

Seth was actually my first person to contact - found out he's dealing with some repetitive strain injuries, and making UPs is demanding enough that he's taking a break. Checked most of the major sites - still waiting on hearing back from a few people who were selling (but never listed as sold) some Daye practice and half sets.

Mostly Irish trad, but I'll likely use it cross-genre. Might someday get the full regulators, but for now, practice (maaaaaybe half set) would be the starting place for a few years.

Unsure on the exact type of the Clemmer - it's a good-quality five-string. I think it's a Church, made with gorgeous wood. Plain headstock, with a fly-fishing motif. No idea if anyone would be interested here, but I'm setting funds aside for uilleann pipes.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Remind me again in a few days and I can do a new pull. This week is slightly light on cheapies, last week had probably four or five I'd have recommended (two of which I bought for myself), so easy to find something if you're not in huge hurry.

Giving a poke for this. I can't determine what's crap, other than the guy trying to sell an Applecreek for $125.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Giving a poke for this. I can't determine what's crap, other than the guy trying to sell an Applecreek for $125.

No worries, am at a backpacker hostel in Paris with a pint of beer, and just got word that the Port of Monrovia just released all my materials in West Africa, so I'm in a good mood and happy to help. Btw, at some point on this vacation I'll finally post a banner-ad again and get more victims up in here.

Dulcimer Factory is out of Texas and they're generally unexciting but decent (some models are kindy funky); I'd go $80 total on this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DF4-4-STRIN...pUAAOSw2x1XJ8Cs

This one is kinda cool and weird in a primitive fashion, I could see $80 total again: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-Strin...UIAAOSwY3RXJleD

I'd go $100-120 on this one, but it'll probably go for more, so don't set your heart on it, but worth trying. Woodwork looks pretty good and nice tuners: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Robert...hcAAOSw3mpXGXPv

As with absolutely any dulcimer you buy online, you'll want to buy new strings for it (about $5). Get strings intended for DAD tuning since it's more versatile, that is strings where it has two small, one medium, and one large, not three medium, though if you get a DAA set it's not necessarily bad or anything. Also assume that any dulcimer you get online can benefit from an action job, which you can do at home with just a $1-2 needle file and a few coins to measure with, I'll type up more on that later. Out of any 10 dulcimers I buy cheap on eBay, easily 5 can clearly benefit from a simple action job, and one or two are unplayable (or lovely playing) without it. It is absolutely not hard at all, probably easier than adjusting the brakes on a bicycle but with fewer tools so don't be intimidated in the slightest, I can walk any of y'all through it.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

So it looks like I somehow got bit by the tin whistle bug, and then I remembered about this thread. Now I'm having a ton of fun pretending I can play stuff on this thing.

I don't know if it's too early to tell, but I'm starting to get interested in other keys other than the default traditional D whistle I've got. Namely, I really want to play the song The Bass Rock, which can be heard as the last songs played here and here.

I think those are played on whistles in the key of A. Are there any good A whistles that won't break the bank? I can't find any that's under $60, which seems to be a huge leap from my $15 D whistle.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have a Shaw A that I quite like. T'ain't in your preferred price range though. Cheapest one I know about is that $60 Susato, not that I looked very hard. Shaw and Susato both have (different) distinctive sounds so make sure you like 'em if you go that route.

Meanwhile, learn that tune on your D whistle!

Oh and, http://www.chiffandfipple.com/whoa.html

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 10, 2016

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard

slap me silly posted:

Meanwhile, learn that tune on your D whistle!

I'm so obsessed with this song right now and I'm currently learning to read reels and transition them for my D whistle. This is such a blast! Although I can't wait to get an A whistle, but it won't stop me right now.

Best I could find for this song is this here: http://damihce726.blogspot.ie/2016/02/the-bass-rock-reel.html

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It's a "tune" by the way, not a song :D Learn it in A on the D whistle and you'll have the same fingerings they are using in those videos. G is probably easier to play though. Tinwhistle life is a little nuts!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
It's not dirt-cheap, but Jerry Freeman makes a lovely A for $50 by taking a Generation Bb, tweaking the head and putting on a new body. Susato are nice and durable but personally I think they sound too "clean". Shaws sound more dirty but aren't tunable so you have to live with any quirk. You can also post a WTB on Chiff & Fipple and see what pops up. Fwiw I find Low A one of my favorite whistles, up there with my Freeman-tweaked Shaw Hi Eb.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I loved my Meinl fiberglass udu drum, amazing variety of sounds, really simple and durable, ability to modify pitch by covering the side-hole, etc. But I sold it to a bandmate when I moved abroad since there was no point having it sit around idle. I'll probably replace it sometime, but in the short term since I'm moving back to Austin I want to get some sort of cool drum with tonal ability.

Talking drum seems a natural choice since I work in West Africa (though honestly have seen several kinds of drum but no TD in Liberia, despite the big arts NGO there being actually named "Talking Drum"). It's compact, unusual, and can bend the pitch. The way it works is you squeeze the body under one arm like a bagpipe, which pulls on the cords to tighten or loosen the skins. Usually you play it with a hooked beater in one hand, and sometimes the off-hand tapping on the head with the fingers, muting, etc.

I'd been dead-set on getting the full-synthetic Meinl Talking Drum since I like synthetic so I can knock it around in parks, and don't need to worry that it's rotting while I'm away overseas. But seems it's out of production and it's slightly pricey at $180 from what dealers still have them. I looked at the Toca Talking drum, synth shell with goat heads, for just $50, and I ended up buying one for a teenage cousin who plays strings but no percussion.

But I ran across the Remo Tamani Talking Drum ($150ish, 6"x15") and I'm inclined to that instead now. It looks pretty badass with the faux-fishskin head, all synthetic so I needn't fret about it, etc. Any big check-holds before I place an order to ship one to Austin in June?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I want to buy a (tenor) ukulele! What's a good recommendation for something in the $200-300 (flexible if the ukulele is sick nasty) range? I'd like to get a nice solid koa body. I looked in the ukulele thread but it's archived now and I was wondering if there was anything more up to date. I'm in California, if that matters.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard

canoshiz posted:

I want to buy a (tenor) ukulele! What's a good recommendation for something in the $200-300 (flexible if the ukulele is sick nasty) range? I'd like to get a nice solid koa body. I looked in the ukulele thread but it's archived now and I was wondering if there was anything more up to date. I'm in California, if that matters.

I may not know a whole lot about ukulele, but after testing several instruments at a specialized guitar shop, I fell in love with the Gretsch tenor ukulele. It sounds full bodied and projects well; it ended up sounding better than some of the ukes in the $800-1000 range, surprisingly. And it's under your price range. I got mine for around $120 or so.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

So, ended up finding a good set of secondhand pipes via a Facebook group for pipers. BC Childress chanter, along with a nice pipebag and a set of bellows by Dow, which are gorgeous leather-and-brass, with really comfortable sheepskin padding.

Initial thoughts - the uilleann pipes are difficult as gently caress, but totally wonderful. Still working on getting good, even notes for tight piping, which was recommended by the local teacher as a good starting place, but I can play through the first octave relatively comfortably and in-tune, apart from some octave jumps on the E. Totally unsure how good the reed is - it tends to jump the octave and shut off relatively easily, but I've had these things for a couple of days and practiced for maybe an hour with the whole kit, and a couple more working on fingering exercises on the chanter alone to get a loose grip on things.

So, in short - these strike me as a long learning process, but one that'll be rewarding once I can get some relatively in-tune stuff.

Thankfully, my partner in instrument building wants to work on making some Scottish pipes, so I'll be working on a Daye-style chanter and drones this summer while he's building some smallpipes and NSP. Getting in a load of cane should be the next step - gotta build a few dozen reeds so I have spares available when mine starts running into weather issues.

I'll toss up pictures of the pipes when I get a chance (and after shining them up a bit) - Childress does great work, and apart from some minor maintenance, I got a great deal.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

canoshiz posted:

Hmmm, you're going to have to modify your search a tad, between the factors koa, solid, and $200-300. Your price is a little low for true solid koa, so unless you want to raise the price a couple hundred, you need to either:

- Get a cheap off-brand (*not* recommended, get a good player regardless of materials)
- Get solid wood, but a cheaper wood; note that Acacia has become a pretty popular alternative to Koa, being a related wood that's extremely plentiful and looks good
- Get laminate wood but with a solid top; to whatever (disputed) degree solid wood matters for instruments, most folks agree that it's the top that matters so if you don't want to spend extra, there are models with laminate back and sides but solid top
- Get koa laminate, from a good maker, and play that until if/when you can justify a higher budget down the road.

Solid koa from a decent import maker (Kala, Mele, Ohana, KoAloha, Pono) will run you like $700 or so, solid acacia from the same class can come as low as $379 for a Kala if you're just in love with it: http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-ka-asac-t-solid-acacia-tenor.html

If you want to pay $279 instead, Kala make the KA-KTG of koa laminate, looks a really lovely axe. If you're being budget conscious, this would be my top off-cuff recommendation, and save the extra money for a larger upgrade down the road if uke just becomes your thing: http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-ka-ktg-new-koa-tenor-slothead.html . TUS is out of this model, but you can shop around the various other dealers, but ensure you buy from someone offering "set up" (see below).

A couple standard uke caveats:
- buy from a uke-savvy dealer, someone who actually opens the crate from China and QCs the individual ukes, does "set up" (making any small 5-minute tweaks), etc. What you don't want is just to pick a seller who's $5 cheaper and just takes the ukes out of the crate and chucks them into a shipping box. Make sure that whoever you buy from advertises that they do set-up.
- if you get solid, read up on cases and humidity to make sure you take care of the solid wood
- speaking of "solid" that term has no legally binding definition, so if you see an unusually good deal on "solid", google the model name around to see if they mean "solid laminate" and are just being market-speaky. You can figure out pretty quick what's made of laminate and what's straight wood, though again laminate is by no means a death sentence or plastic sound, so especially at the <$300 level I'd focus much more on having a model you like, reputable brand, and QCed by a reliable dealer.
- don't buy a cheap no-name even if it looks awesome, odds are it's a wall-hanger. The established names aren't just some bougie branding success, a lot of those companies have worked really closely with the uke players community to refine their products since the Dark Days of the 1990s when ukes were just a cheap punchline. Kala in particular has come from being slightly-over-meh to being a serious hitter for good import ukes

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard

slap me silly posted:

Learn it in A on the D whistle and you'll have the same fingerings they are using in those videos. G is probably easier to play though. Tinwhistle life is a little nuts!

By the way, how do you even read these things? The most I could decipher was knowing that capital letters are notes on the lower octave and lowercase are the higher octave. The other markings and numbers I can't figure out.

My Google-fu isn't strong enough to show me how to, either. No matter what I search, I only end up finding some archive of reels, but no index on how to read them. :( If only they could all be written in the regular sheet music manuscript.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Here's a little secret - press the "Sheet Music" button :D

And if you only have the ABC, you can paste it into an online converter such as http://mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php

I discovered yesterday that I actually have one of Jerry Freeman's tweaked A whistles. It's nice, basically sounds like you'd expect from a Generation.

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 17, 2016

• Locked thread