Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Wizard of Smart posted:

Oh man. Giant bird phone. :3:

Surely the reception must be ok with that size antenna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Deadly Chlorine posted:

^^It depends, I know someone who has the most snuggly goffin and you can just kiss her right on the beak aaaaa :3:

Yeah my goffin will give kisses too, but he has also been known to say "gimmie kiss" and then bite you on the nose.

I used to be able to do birdphone with him but now as Eejit says that would be a short sharp call to the plastic surgeon.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori doesn't care much about being picked up so doesn't mind birdphone, but depending on his mood might bite your ears or squeak furiously into them. Steve is all panicked cockatiel flailing and squealing, horrified at such a loss of dignity, so it's a bit mean to do it to him. He'll also probably bite your fingers in that position, and hard, so...

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Large parrot phones = the brick cells from the early 90s.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I'm sending a message to Steve's previous owner via Youtube, giving him an update how his former bird is doing. He seemed so reluctant to let the bird go when we were there, so he probably misses him, so I hope he appreciates it. :3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Saw this gif in the meme thread and thought it was relevant to birdphone chat:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

A completely uneventful video of Ohtori eating tea. His eyes pin at around 1:15 really clearly and you can see the nice amber colour of his eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWwj2RTFXL4

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Kenshin/Lenswork:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

Kenshin/Lenswork:

Oh wow, that's cute.

Zippy actually does something like that with her own claws/foot, but very slowly--she'll just sit there slowly scratching the side of her face and head for several minutes at a time while she's all puffed up and happy. I should take a video of it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hannah does that every once in a great while. He likes to kiss his foot a lot though. For some reason he does that when asking for kisses.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Ozzy pets himself too :3: So does my friend's cockatoo. It's tough being a bird, you guys. I mean sometimes they need to do it themselves...

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I just looked over at the birds' cage and saw Rosy using one little pink cockatiel foot to hold up a spray of millet to nibble on. Is -- is that a thing that cockatiels do? I'm positive in the last 17 years I've never seen her use her feet as a tool like that. I'm thinking she must have learned it from watching Amadeus eat and play and I'm :3: like crazy right now.

Q lifts his foot, looks at it, and gasps in shock that there's a foot on there!

My lovebird has started using her feet to hold millet and bread crust, after seeing the conure using his feet.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?
I have a horrible case of sibling rivalry here. I had just gotten home from work, and the first thing I always do is go upstairs and check on and greet Cinni and Pumpkin. Pumpkin was looking especially cute tonight, so I stuck my hand in the cage and attempted to pet her and give her light scritches. I've had her for almost a year now, and her behavior's improved vastly. She still gets a little bitey here and there, but she's hardly the monster she was as a baby. So, I'm praising Pumpkin as I'm petting her for being good and not biting. Meanwhile, Cinni is on another perch behind and parallel to Pumpkin's, giving us the stinkeye while puffing up and hissing. Then, for the first time in the four and a half years I've had Cinnamon, she bites my hand hard!

I've noticed lately that the two haven't been getting along lately, but mostly on Cinni's end. Pumpkin tries to be nice, but whenever she gets too close, Cinni will lunge and peck her. I always have both birds out together, but for tonight as "punishment" Cinni stays in the cage and only Pumpkin can come out to play tonight. She's been a very sweet girl and is currently preening on my shoulder as I type. I just wish I can have two sweet birds that actually get along.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

KillerChicken posted:

My lovebird has started using her feet to hold millet and bread crust, after seeing the conure using his feet.

Chiyo tries to do this, but falls flat on her face every time and gets SO ANGRY ABOUT IT. Sorry, bird. Your species just didn't evolve that way. :derptiel:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Joe Don Baker posted:

Hannah does that every once in a great while. He likes to kiss his foot a lot though. For some reason he does that when asking for kisses.

Pookie will use her whole foot to cup her chin/cheeks and give herself a good face-scratch, she also blows kisses from behind her foot at me sometimes :3:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I like how cockatiels have to put their legs around their wing to scratch their head. It looks so weird.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

Kenshin/Lenswork:

Zippy just did this with my DS stylus. Of course, I don't have an adorable .gif as proof

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pookah posted:

Pookie will use her whole foot to cup her chin/cheeks and give herself a good face-scratch, she also blows kisses from behind her foot at me sometimes :3:

Yup. I try wicked hard to get footage of that same stuff but he stops the instant I hold up the camera or phone.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 30, 2013

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
The reception on these large bird phones is terrible. People talking on the other end might as well be talking out of an rear end.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Bird Crazies: Can You Hear Me Now?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Official Bizness posted:

Bird Crazies: Can Your Cloaca Hear Me Now?

Except for Lenswork I guess. His phone will probably parrot it to the other end hawhawhawhaw

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Eejit posted:

Except for Lenswork I guess. His phone will probably parrot it to the other end hawhawhawhaw
That's actually me in the picture. :)

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la

electricgoat posted:

.... Thanks, good call. I will emphasize the aggression bit. Since he wants the bird to love him, he won't want it to be aggressive.
hahahahahahahahaahahhahahaahahahahahahaha
Good luck with that. Bird love you 30% of the time, want to kill you 40% of the time, and 30% of the time don't give any fucks.

electricgoat posted:

Oh, also, because this is very obviously going to be an issue, what's the best way to get bird poop out of carpets?
In my experience: a tooth brush, hot water, a drop of dish soap/antibacterial soap, and lemon juice.

Also: Not my bird, or any bird I know personally... but I'll just leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXYWjuDu_rs

Tadhg Dall
Dec 5, 2008
Unintended upside to bringing home a new bird: one week ago my budgie thought that pellets were sort of icky and vegetables were the devil, now they are both delicious treats which must be eaten immediately.

Unintended downside to bringing home a new bird: my budgie is too dumb to realize that it's sort of rude to take food out of someone else's beak and gets chased around at least once per meal.

Birds.

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide
We've had cockatiels for the past three weeks. They're still very skittish, but slowly warming up to us. They were previously mishandled and one of them has a busted up beak from it. Not even a week after his discharge from the military, my husband got these fearful juvenile tardytiels. :derptiel: He's had birds before, so he pretty much knows what to do, but I don't!

Jasper and his hosed up beak. It kind of looks like he had gotten something stuck in his nostril and some turd in a top hat damaged it while trying to dig it out. Either that or he had an infection that went untreated for so long that it caused erosion. He was also thrown by his prior owner, so maybe that's how it happened? The vet said to just keep an eye on it because it's now more susceptible to infection or blockage, but nothing can be done about it.

Jasper in the foreground and Horace is behind him.

Both of them are still very wary of the evil hand. But we're slowly bringing them out of their shells.

They are very intrigued by the sound of the toilet flushing. This morning, Horace tried to imitate the sound! They also enjoy making fart noises with my husband. It's like I live with a flock of eight year olds.

AvianPundit fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 30, 2013

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

They're cute! I love the cinnamon colours. Do they have any non-dowel perches? You said they're juveniles, do you know how old they are exactly?

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide

Battle Pigeon posted:

They're cute! I love the cinnamon colours. Do they have any non-dowel perches? You said they're juveniles, do you know how old they are exactly?

Thanks!

They have a sand perch that they like. We tried introducing smooth tree branch perches a little while ago but they were extremely trolled by the switch so that only lasted several days before we went back to the dowel perches. They wouldn't even use the tree branch perches. We'll try again later.

How old are they? We don't know exactly. They've been passed around somewhat.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Dowel perches aren't really good for their feet, they need perches of varying sizes so they don't develop problems. I hear you about trying and having them avoid it though, there's one perch in my cockatiels cage that he doesn't seem to like and never uses. He loves his rope perch though, and his little branch that he sleeps on.

I ask their age because they have stripes on their tails, or at least one of them does-only females and juveniles have stripes, so if they're older than a year or so then you have at least one girl. :)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Wizard of Smart posted:

I opted for the signal booster. Worth it.

Have you considered an longer antenna?

(Ignore goofy "trying not to laugh" face. :derptiel: Earlier he was flipping up his tail to look like a boom mic, but he's having none of it now.)

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide

Battle Pigeon posted:

Dowel perches aren't really good for their feet, they need perches of varying sizes so they don't develop problems. I hear you about trying and having them avoid it though, there's one perch in my cockatiels cage that he doesn't seem to like and never uses. He loves his rope perch though, and his little branch that he sleeps on.

I ask their age because they have stripes on their tails, or at least one of them does-only females and juveniles have stripes, so if they're older than a year or so then you have at least one girl. :)

They both have those stripes! My husband thinks that they're females because, given their sizes, they're probably over a year old. Prior owner didn't know their exact age though, just that they're young. The names Jasper and Horace (our choosing) won't change if they turn out to be females because those names are too awesome. (Jasmine and Horatia? :derptiel:)

So... I've read that the girls are notorious for chronic egg laying. Any advice?

AvianPundit fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 30, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Toucanphone is the best phone. I'd take a picture with an Amaphone but I just got out of the shower and so my hair is wet and (a) I'm vain and (b) Ama'd just be busy trying to groom me. Mostly (a).

Re: cockatiel egg-laying: I've had my 'tiel for 17 years and every so often she decides IT'S LAYIN' TIME. And then she promptly ignores it. To avoid laying in the first place, though, I'd recommend avoiding any tents or boxes they can huddle in, frequently changing out/around their toys and perches, and making sure they're on a regular 12 hour light cycle.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

AvianPundit posted:

So... I've read that the girls are notorious for chronic egg laying. Any advice?

Our girl 'tiel is about three and a half and hasn't laid yet. Making sure they get a full 12 hours of darkness will probably help. They're opportunistic breeders, so if you can mimic winter (plenty of darkness, don't keep topping off the food dish unnecessarily if there is still fresh food in it) that's supposed to help.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I met my uncle's budgie today and it made me miss Peep sooo much.

I love birds :(

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

marshmallard posted:

I love birds :(

And my cockatoo has gone completely insane. He currently yells basically every minute he is not within 5 ft of someone. It's lovely. And I love spring and crazy hormonal birds. It's like an annual injection of teen me back into my life.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Our girl is turning 5 this year and hasn't laid yet either, probably because we sleep in late and don't uncover her until like noon :v:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Eejit posted:

And my cockatoo has gone completely insane. He currently yells basically every minute he is not within 5 ft of someone. It's lovely. And I love spring and crazy hormonal birds. It's like an annual injection of teen me back into my life.

My sun conure wont let me play stompy roberts without being on my mouse arm and squawking over me whilst I try and talk. We should play together and just let our birds call shots for us.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Wizard of Smart posted:

My sun conure wont let me play stompy roberts without being on my mouse arm and squawking over me whilst I try and talk. We should play together and just let our birds call shots for us.

Haha yeah dude, we need to make a real birdlance. I'll put my bird just outside the office so that he can see me but so that he doesn't feel close to me. Then every time I push to talk whatever I'm saying will be drowned out by screaming. "Hey guys, let's shoot al-SQUUUUUUUUUUUAWK." "Follow victory ro-SQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUAWK." "I'm playing my At-SQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUAWK."

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
weedthread crosspost:

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la
I've been trying to get more Frodo videos but he's so camera shy.

He did however, embarrass the hell out of me in the car today. Twice.

We we're driving around, him on my shoulder. I had my windows cracked for some fresh air. We were jammin' out to some music at a stop light and the song ended. This guy pulls up next to me (a wanna-be gangster type dude) and Frodo, as loud as he can, makes a cat call/wolf whistle. The guy looks over to me and does that "how you doin'" head nod thing. It's hard to mime that it was the bird hitting on him and not me. The dude wasn't getting it and just kept smiling at me and winked. That light felt like forever. And of course I couldn't get Frodo to whistle again. That is, until I pull up to a stop sign with two teenagers walking next to my car, a shirtless dude and a girl in a skimpy outfit. Again, Frodo wolf whistles. They gave me the dirtiest look.

Frodo thought it was hilarious and kept whistling all the way home. Whistling and going GOODBOYGOODBOYGOODBOOYYEEEEEE and head bobbing. That smug little bastard was so drat proud of himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Ahahaha, I love that. I was walking to the ferry with my friends who had their two Amazons in a carrier. A girl walks past and one of the birds wolf whistles- she turns around and glares at the guy friend with murder in her eyes. All he could to was point helplessly at the carrier. :saddowns:

She forgave us upon introduction to the culprit.