Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

MooselanderII posted:

My google nexus 7 (2013) has finally crapped out. Anyone have any suggestions for an economical replacement?

Nexus 7 2016 (probably a "Pixel" of some sort) is probably hitting in the next couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Nexus 7 2016 (probably a "Pixel" of some sort) is probably hitting in the next couple of months.

Announcement is officially October 4th.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Announcement is officially October 4th.
There's no guarantees that will include a tablet.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My Nexus 10 is getting long in the tooth so I'm back in the tablet game. Additionally I want a keyboard to be able to do some writing when I'm out of the house. I'm not writing the next great American novel though, it doesn't need to be great, it just needs to be easy to use.

The Asus Transformer T100HA looks interesting to me, does anyone have any strong feelings on why it'd be a huge mistake to pick it up?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
My Fire HDX is slowly dying (battery not holding much charge, screen starting to give up the ghost) and I've started looking for a replacement. I figured I'd have no trouble from finding a successor, but Amazon no longer do the HDX range, and looking at other Android tablets with comparable specs they seem to be all 2013 models, which is worrying. I'm looking for something of a similar size (7-8"-ish) and resolution (HD or better) with comparable or better power and memory (32 GB at least). Any recommendations?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's nothing even remotely in that price range worth getting, and the only thing really available is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 line. There may be a new Nexus launched on Tuesday, though, so definitely wait until then before making any purchases.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
If your Nexus 7 crapped out, pry off the back and check the cable connection from the battery. Mine shook itself loose and it seems to be a common problem.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

What are the recommended 9-10 inchers for Android? The Pixel C seems like people like it (and it looks like the closest thing to a Nexus device, which I've generally preferred), but I'm balking at the price. Any rumors of new large Nexuses coming down the line?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's the Pixel C and whatever Samsung makes that's the same cost or more. No one is making Android tablets.

In any case, Google might announce something on Tuesday, so wait and see.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
No announcement from Google. Rumor mill is still saying before the year is out, but who knows.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

There's the Pixel C and whatever Samsung makes that's the same cost or more. No one is making Android tablets.

Samsung's one is the Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" and mine was maybe 2/3rds the price of a Pixel C around here. I'm pretty happy with it coming from a Nexus 10 (so light!).

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I just returned to the student business (mechanical engineering) and I'm thinking of getting a tablet. My ~5 year old laptop is barely working and a bit too big for the small desks during lectures, but I find myself using my phone a lot to look up timetables and other resources. Since I have a fairly powerful desktop PC at home, I'll only be needing when I'm away from home, so it just has to cover a few functions - web, writing, storing documents and various advanced math procedures. Is there something good with at least 9-10" screen size available for up to 400€?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Surface 3, actually.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Surface 3, actually.
That thing still seems to be 600€ in Austria, unfortunately.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What would be a good Android tablet for streaming/video watching and internet browsing? $200 USD ceiling

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

What would be a good Android tablet for streaming/video watching and internet browsing?
Pixel-

quote:

$200 USD ceiling
Nevermind!

Nothing. Literally there is nothing unless you're willing to mess around with a Kindle Fire HD 8 to get the Play Store and such on it. I don't even know if it's "good" so much as "exists and is under $200"

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Can the fire tablets stream Netflix/Hulu or no? What about the Lenovo tablets?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Can the fire tablets stream Netflix/Hulu or no? What about the Lenovo tablets?
Yes, Netflix and Hulu are available on them. I can't imagine that a Lenovo tablet couldn't. I know nothing about them.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
How dated is the nvida shield k1? I've honestly been eyeing it but it feels like its going to be half obsolete soon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, it's been out of production for a little while now. It's probably not terribly outdated and when it was easy to get, it was highly recommended. No idea how well it'll be supported going forward, though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Honestly for just light internet and video streaming, drat near anything will work fine. I got a free garbage tablet from AT&T a month ago and it does Netflix, Youtube, and whatever at 720p perfectly fine.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Endless Mike posted:

Well, it's been out of production for a little while now. It's probably not terribly outdated and when it was easy to get, it was highly recommended. No idea how well it'll be supported going forward, though.

Seems like you can still buy them, my local computer store just got in a new shipment and the nvidia store has them in stock, when for the longest time it was out of stock. I feel like they only make a production run every couple of months possibly to save money or maybe to realize that it's their time to shine without a pixel/nexus to out shine them.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
How Is the Samsung Galaxy Tab A? I see it both versions on top of the Amazon charts and it fits my price range.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Chillyrabbit posted:

How dated is the nvida shield k1? I've honestly been eyeing it but it feels like its going to be half obsolete soon.

If you're buying for reading get something else. The screen is glossy reflective and has baaaad dpi scaling (even if 1080p is a lot). Only get it for movies/games/HDMI out.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

u fink u hard Percy posted:

If you're buying for reading get something else. The screen is glossy reflective and has baaaad dpi scaling (even if 1080p is a lot). Only get it for movies/games/HDMI out.

Thanks, I do more reading then movies/games/HDMI. Unfortunately the amazon tablets aren't available in Canada. Any good recommendations beside those ones?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I'd say your best bet is the Samsung tab s whatever series. My old tab pro 8.4 is a much better experience than my k1, but lacks modern features like dual speakers and HDMI out which is what I bought it for.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

u fink u hard Percy posted:

I'd say your best bet is the Samsung tab s whatever series. My old tab pro 8.4 is a much better experience than my k1, but lacks modern features like dual speakers and HDMI out which is what I bought it for.

Ugh, I`m still so pissed at dropping my samsung tab s 8.4 too hard and breaking the screen/LCD display. It`s a black mess that costs $300 to repair. Might just bite the bullet (again) for the samsung tab s series, now I have to save up my money again.... Well it might make a good Christmas gift (again)

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I love my k1 for everything but reading. Good lord is that screen lovely for that.

What's a good reading tablet that I can read news feeds and books on for pretty cheap?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So is the pixel c nowdays the only decent tablet (except the nvidia soc)? My Nexus 10 is way too slow compared to my Oneplus 3 and I'd really like a new one for comics, browsing, video streaming, reading etc.

But Pixel C is so goddamn expensive in Europe and I'm not paying good money for lovely nvidia socs. Why can't anyone make tablets with a normal chip like S820? I know from long experience that these unique snowflake chipsets (esp. from nvidia) are a bad investment in the long run.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ZenVulgarity posted:

I love my k1 for everything but reading. Good lord is that screen lovely for that.

What's a good reading tablet that I can read news feeds and books on for pretty cheap?

I mean if you already have a K1 for tableting you might as well just get a Kindle Paperwhite.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

So is the pixel c nowdays the only decent tablet (except the nvidia soc)? My Nexus 10 is way too slow compared to my Oneplus 3 and I'd really like a new one for comics, browsing, video streaming, reading etc.
The entire iPad line is full of excellent tablets

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Ihmemies posted:

But Pixel C is so goddamn expensive in Europe and I'm not paying good money for lovely nvidia socs. Why can't anyone make tablets with a normal chip like S820? I know from long experience that these unique snowflake chipsets (esp. from nvidia) are a bad investment in the long run.

I still love my Samsung Note 10.1 2014 tablet. The new Samsung chromebook with the pen looks interesting. Could replace my note as a laptop/tablet.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/15/samsung-chromebook-pro-will-come-2k-12-3-inch-screen-360-hinge-stylus-pen/

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Endless Mike posted:

The entire iPad line is full of excellent tablets

Shame about the OS though. I love the hardware of the iPad Pros, really amazing, but iOS is so drat limiting and has a poor UI that needs too many steps to do things and obscures too many things.

Example: Even 6 years after my first iPad Apps apparently still only can download stuff if you have the App open - despite the setting in Settings (why do I need to go there through the Home screen still to get there?) being switched to do it in background. It looks dated when my RSS Reader, podcast App or Twitter App start with downloading new posts and poo poo every time instead starting with the current RT state when opened. Not being able to set default Apps. Having to go through the cloud to transfer data between Apps that aren't in the (crappy) sharing picker instead Apple finally creating a secured local memory area/directory. Still the same barebone Homescreen from nearly a decade ago (only now the icons are hilariously far apart). Always activating Siri, because someone thought it would be a great idea to put 4 function onto one button. A back/close function/button that switches between upper left, upper right and lower left without rhyme or reason. And so on.

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 16, 2016

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I've had a Nexus 10 since it came out but it won't hold a charge and the port is worn on it so it dies even when it's plugged in. I tried looking but there really isn't anything that was a direct replacement. I complained enough that my wife just got me a Pixel C. It was too much money but it's really nice anyway. Android 6 is pretty sweet too. She has a Surface Pro 4 and it's really nice but way too much money for watching youtubes. At least she does real work with it. Really seems like the market for good tablets that aren't super expensive is just dead.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Decius posted:

Shame about the OS though. I love the hardware of the iPad Pros, really amazing, but iOS is so drat limiting and has a poor UI that needs too many steps to do things and obscures too many things.

Example: Even 6 years after my first iPad Apps apparently still only can download stuff if you have the App open - despite the setting in Settings (why do I need to go there through the Home screen still to get there?) being switched to do it in background. It looks dated when my RSS Reader, podcast App or Twitter App start with downloading new posts and poo poo every time instead starting with the current RT state when opened. Not being able to set default Apps. Having to go through the cloud to transfer data between Apps that aren't in the (crappy) sharing picker instead Apple finally creating a secured local memory area/directory. Still the same barebone Homescreen from nearly a decade ago (only now the icons are hilariously far apart). Always activating Siri, because someone thought it would be a great idea to put 4 function onto one button. A back/close function/button that switches between upper left, upper right and lower left without rhyme or reason. And so on.

Because Android has an amazing reputation for having a smart layout and being reliable.

Personally, there's a reason no one here can think of a good "non-iPad" to recommend, and it's because, despite Apple's flaws, iPads overall are a better buy for tablets. Lord knows they have a longer use life.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I'm looking for something under $200CAD that will do light games like Hearthstone or Minecraft plus maybe video playing or whatever else I get bored enough to try.
The issue I'm having is that I don't like the idea of spending $$$ on a 1GB tablet in tyool 2016.

I was looking at the Chuwi hybrid Android/Windows tablets but I don't really have any interest in a Windows tablet and during the review I watched it hardlocked.
I'm guessing those aren't worth it?

The processor just has to be "good enough" in that it's not slow as balls.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I'm looking for something under $200CAD that will do light games like Hearthstone or Minecraft plus maybe video playing or whatever else I get bored enough to try.
The issue I'm having is that I don't like the idea of spending $$$ on a 1GB tablet in tyool 2016.

I was looking at the Chuwi hybrid Android/Windows tablets but I don't really have any interest in a Windows tablet and during the review I watched it hardlocked.
I'm guessing those aren't worth it?

The processor just has to be "good enough" in that it's not slow as balls.

Amazon Fire 7 or Amazon Fire HD 8 would be fine - both are $50 and $90 USD, respectively

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Decius posted:

Honestly, these all sound like you're using bad apps, and have nothing to do with the OS. My iPad has no trouble at all downloading things in the background. Sharing works fine if the developer makes use of it. If not, that's on the developer, not Apple. Except for the Siri complaint. That just sounds like you have the motor skills of a five year old since I have never had a problem with activating Siri unintentionally.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly, these all sound like you're using bad apps, and have nothing to do with the OS. My iPad has no trouble at all downloading things in the background. Sharing works fine if the developer makes use of it. If not, that's on the developer, not Apple. Except for the Siri complaint. That just sounds like you have the motor skills of a five year old since I have never had a problem with activating Siri unintentionally.

I don't really like Apple stuff and :same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So shopping for dad's birthday and/or Xmas, looking to replace his old falling-apart Win7 laptop. He never used it for all that much anyway, as long as it can browse/stream things and has light office software suite equivalents he should be good.

Right now we're looking at some of the mid-tier Samsung Galaxy S series, would any of the Nvidia/Pixel offerings compare? No real price range as long as I maintain a good bang-for-buck ratio.