Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

On the Uncanny front, color me pleasantly surprised that the Matthew Problem has been tempered (until they need it to flare up again For Drama Reasons) by Cyclops suggesting they sit down and talk. That's the Scott I wanna see. Of course, I imagine he's almost pissing with glee at the thought of having a Class A++ Nuclear Deterrent on his side, but is very good at forcing himself to not think about things he doesn't wanna get picked up by a telepath.

On one hand, I'm glad the problem was solved non-violently, on the other, I'm tired of Cyclops being really smug about his moral high ground all the time and him being right rather than Xavier certainly won't help that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

So when they get done exploring the stories they want to tell they'll just crack it open and he'll be fine for some reason, right?

Or he won't be in there at all. Summer 2016: WHEREVERINE?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Skipped Death of Wolverine, but the latest Wolverine and the X-Men was nice.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
I picked up Death of Wolverine, Wolvie and the xmen and Uncanny today. Got home and read them in that order. I gotta say that it was bit disappointing to see Wolverine back and rearing to go in Uncanny after just reading about his death.

I've bitched about Marvel's lack of continuity before but it's seriously lazy storytelling to not get everyone on board with a big story.

Speaking of lazy storytelling turning Wolverine into a statue felt like the weakest way for him to die

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
No see they had to kill him this way so Absorbing Man can dig up Wolverine's grave so he can absorb the statues powers.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'm WAY late to the "what was your first X-Men issue" topic, but I have a winner.

The first X-book I read was this.

Remarkably, I survived the experience and went on to buy Uncanny #202 a while later.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Knucklebear posted:

I picked up Death of Wolverine, Wolvie and the xmen and Uncanny today. Got home and read them in that order. I gotta say that it was bit disappointing to see Wolverine back and rearing to go in Uncanny after just reading about his death.

I've bitched about Marvel's lack of continuity before but it's seriously lazy storytelling to not get everyone on board with a big story.

Speaking of lazy storytelling turning Wolverine into a statue felt like the weakest way for him to die

The Uncanny arc started before the Death of Wolverine story. It's not lazy storytelling, it's taking place beforehand.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Codependent Poster posted:

The Uncanny arc started before the Death of Wolverine story. It's not lazy storytelling, it's taking place beforehand.

Actually its more lazy planning.

Considering they have been going on about this for a long time.

Which also makes the the fact it was so meh rather hilarious.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Considering they have been going on about this for a long time.

Which also makes the the fact it was so meh rather hilarious.

Why is it lazy at all? Should the editors force all stories that have Wolverine in a small role to end before his death? If people get upset at this, I don't know how you can read any comics where a character is in more than one book.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Why is it lazy at all? Should the editors force all stories that have Wolverine in a small role to end before his death? If people get upset at this, I don't know how you can read any comics where a character is in more than one book.

Sure, why not?

If its not worth caring about I don't see why this upsets you.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah right now writers are just writing stories and loosely trying to keep continuity wherever possible.

Like good loving luck trying to place Avengers/NA (before Time Runs Out began) next to Cap America, Uncanny Avengers, Original Sin, Thor, and others.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
The problem I have with recycling characters into multiple books is the arbitrary nature in which the stories intertwine.

So, as a reader I have to reckon with a time line that includes Wolverine fighting Wendigo in Canada then dealing with Professor X's will and then dying (I know that's not exactly accurate but you get the point). It dilutes the impact of the character's experiences. In the end the character's are weaker, and you have character driven stories that are weakened and diluted.

I really wish that Marvel would make a one character per book rule. I know that it won't happen because of money but a boy can dream...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Knucklebear posted:

I really wish that Marvel would make a one character per book rule. I know that it won't happen because of money but a boy can dream...

They have never had this and they never will

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

They have never had this and they never will

No publisher will because it's stupid.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nah its perfectly fine.

There is no creative or financial downside.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Actually he just read the books in the wrong order?

Knucklebear posted:

The problem I have with recycling characters into multiple books is the arbitrary nature in which the stories intertwine.

So, as a reader I have to reckon with a time line that includes Wolverine fighting Wendigo in Canada then dealing with Professor X's will and then dying (I know that's not exactly accurate but you get the point). It dilutes the impact of the character's experiences. In the end the character's are weaker, and you have character driven stories that are weakened and diluted.

EDIT: Do you really want to live in a world where Dan Slott is the only person that can write Spider-Man? Or that none of the Avengers could have solo books? That's seriously the dumbest thing on here I've heard in a while.
Nobody is forcing you to read every single book that comes out.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This one dude has been trying to replicate the weapon x program. He has 3 random dudes undergoing the procedure. Dude initiates the adamantium infusion so Logan, in his infinite wisdom, decides to just slash the adamantium container, covering himself with it. He could have smashed it with something else. He could have I dunno just move the guys about to get injected. He could have cut the transfer cables. But nope he went straight for the tank, didn't try avoiding the liquid metal, then walked outside and I'm guessing died when the adamantium solidified.
So on a related note, over in the terrible piece of crap Death of Wolverine: The Logan Legacy, Daken is alive again. When and how did that happen? I thought his death in Uncanny X-Force was kind of important and meaningful to like pretty much everything Wolverine has been up to since?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

NorgLyle posted:

So on a related note, over in the terrible piece of crap Death of Wolverine: The Logan Legacy, Daken is alive again. When and how did that happen? I thought his death in Uncanny X-Force was kind of important and meaningful to like pretty much everything Wolverine has been up to since?

He was brought back as a Horseman of death.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

bobkatt013 posted:

He was brought back as a Horseman of death.
Jesus Christ. gently caress Uncanny Avengers and every single thing that's spun out of it. What happened to Rick Remender?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

NorgLyle posted:

Jesus Christ. gently caress Uncanny Avengers and every single thing that's spun out of it. What happened to Rick Remender?

Why? He brought him back as a way to gently caress with Wolverine.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Who is now dead.

Way to waste your time.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Really undermines the impact of Wolverine's death when they have his recently-resurrected son in a drat tie-in book for it.

Frig. I hope they keep Charlie X dead because his role is no longer needed and he's one of those "so powerful we have to keep coming up with reasons he can't save the day in 5 minutes" characters. Wolverine, I don't care, bring him back before The Logan Legacy mini even finishes- that'd be a riot.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Die Laughing posted:

the latest Wolverine and the X-Men was nice.

I haven't looked at this title since that garbage first arc with Future Quentin Quire. What happened in the latest one?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

I haven't looked at this title since that garbage first arc with Future Quentin Quire. What happened in the latest one?

The love interest from Aaron's Wolverine run is writing a biography.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Knucklebear posted:

There is really no reason to be reading DC or Marvel comic books if you don't get the appeal of a shared universe.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

DynamicSloth posted:

There is really no reason to be reading DC or Marvel comic books if you don't get the appeal of a shared universe.

I understand that, but I also understand how that can be frustrating. I think you can justify multiple ongoings if they are truly unique takes on the character. I know the Spider-books, when they have multiple ongoings, usually have certain plots, supporting cast, etc... only appearing in one title so that the other title does its own thing with its own set of characters and what not.

I think what has gotten to me more lately, and this is especially true with Bendis' X-verse stuff, is the overuse of the same villains. Mystique is everything and everywhere. Sabretoothe too. And Sabretoothe has had like a bunch of status quo changes that seem to be forgotten about even in recent memory. Didn't Cornell make Sabretoothe the leader of the Hand or something? And now he's back to being a henchman for Mystique.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think what has gotten to me more lately, and this is especially true with Bendis' X-verse stuff, is the overuse of the same villains. Mystique is everything and everywhere. Sabretoothe too. And Sabretoothe has had like a bunch of status quo changes that seem to be forgotten about even in recent memory. Didn't Cornell make Sabretoothe the leader of the Hand or something? And now he's back to being a henchman for Mystique.

Yeah but pretty much nobody acknowledged that. Hell, pretty much nobody acknowledged anything from Cornell other than "Wolverine loses healing factor".

radlum
May 13, 2013
So...Magneto this week. I think this was the issue I've liked the least, mostly due to it being a poorly though tie in to AXIS. I like the idea of Magneto assembling a team of villains but the roster seemed a bit random.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

radlum posted:

So...Magneto this week. I think this was the issue I've liked the least, mostly due to it being a poorly though tie in to AXIS. I like the idea of Magneto assembling a team of villains but the roster seemed a bit random.

Carnage seems to be on the team just so they can write that "Carnage is a crazy hero" book afterwards, same with Hobgoblin. Doom makes sense, Loki makes sense, Mystique and Sabertooth also make sense but Enchantress, Absorbing Man and Deadpool are pretty random. I guess Enchantress is there because they needed another female on the team? Deadpool because he's Deadpool and why not? Absorbing Man because...he's been in the Marvel Agents of Shield tv show?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

Carnage seems to be on the team just so they can write that "Carnage is a crazy hero" book afterwards, same with Hobgoblin. Doom makes sense, Loki makes sense, Mystique and Sabertooth also make sense but Enchantress, Absorbing Man and Deadpool are pretty random. I guess Enchantress is there because they needed another female on the team? Deadpool because he's Deadpool and why not? Absorbing Man because...he's been in the Marvel Agents of Shield tv show?

Hobgoblin is there since they could not use Norman. However, having Norman there would make even less sense.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He knows the Sentinels aren't programmed to work on villains so he figured that if he recruits the most "What the hell?" group of them he has the best chance.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I get why Magneto, Loki, Mystique and Sabretooth are there. The rest of the team is very random. I mean, Absorbing Man was just in a couple of episodes of Agents of SHIELD, it's not like he is a featured villain from the films.

Also, who is this Hobgoblin? Phil Urich? Kingsley? A random franchisee?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

radlum posted:

I get why Magneto, Loki, Mystique and Sabretooth are there. The rest of the team is very random. I mean, Absorbing Man was just in a couple of episodes of Agents of SHIELD, it's not like he is a featured villain from the films.

Also, who is this Hobgoblin? Phil Urich? Kingsley? A random franchisee?

It is Kingsley.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Magneto picked Absorbing Man because they're up against adamantium sentinels. I mean, just think about it for a second.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

It is Kingsley.

No one told Remender who has Jack O Lantern in Axis 2

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I enjoyed Death of Wolverine. Not perfect, but it hd that nice Western feel about it.

And of ways for Wolverine to die, I think it was pretty good way. Not the covered in Adamantium stuff. But dying to stop three other people from going through what he went through, and (depending on how you look at it) not killing the badguy.
Wolverine has always about "Can Logan break the cycle of violence that has defined him his whole life."

The answer at the end is "yes, he can." That's pretty neat.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

The Question IRL posted:

I enjoyed Death of Wolverine. Not perfect, but it hd that nice Western feel about it.

And of ways for Wolverine to die, I think it was pretty good way. Not the covered in Adamantium stuff. But dying to stop three other people from going through what he went through, and (depending on how you look at it) not killing the badguy.
Wolverine has always about "Can Logan break the cycle of violence that has defined him his whole life."

The answer at the end is "yes, he can." That's pretty neat.

I totally got that aspect of it and I enjoyed it. In my opinon though it capped off almost 18 months of crappy Wolverine solo titles and I was just disappointed that they couldn't have come up with a better way to do it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

SalTheBard posted:

In my opinon though it capped off almost 18 months of crappy Wolverine solo titles

In my opinion the sky is pretty fuckin' blue.

To be fair I dropped it like a hot turd when it renumbered but that first "volume" where he lost the healing factor in the first place really redefined poo poo comics for me.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Diet Poison posted:

In my opinion the sky is pretty fuckin' blue.

To be fair I dropped it like a hot turd when it renumbered but that first "volume" where he lost the healing factor in the first place really redefined poo poo comics for me.

I wish I had done the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

I wish I had done the same.

So do I but every month its everything else Cornell has done has been good, so maybe this will be a good issue. I then read the issue and regretted it. However, Death of Wolverine was not that bad, and left it open for a return.

• Locked thread