Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
to be fair, he wanted the agriculture seat, but that one is already sold to the PP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

joepinetree posted:

The likely new minister of science and technology in the Temer government:

He is the host. At the bottom, it reads "Cured of tuberculosis, brain tumor and AIDS, Luis had only once cell in his body"
As if our entire continent didn't have enough pseudo-scientific bullshit going on already. Why would they even put this guy there

wiregrind fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 5, 2016

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-36213509

quote:

Brazil's top court has suspended Lower House Speaker Eduardo Cunha from his mandate, following a request by the country's attorney general, officials say.

Ha, get dunked on fuckface

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Hard to get too happy when you consider that this was made to increase Temer's popularity and Cunha's successor is not only his ally, but also investigated for corruption. If they had reason to kick him out at this point, they also had it before doing the impeachment votes.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nerdz posted:

Hard to get too happy when you consider that this was made to increase Temer's popularity and Cunha's successor is not only his ally, but also investigated for corruption. If they had reason to kick him out at this point, they also had it before doing the impeachment votes.

Yeah, it seems like PMDB is using Cunha as a scapegoat to protect the rest of chamber from public pressure and scrutiny. Cunha still has a lot of influence, so if that is true I am looking forward to seeing those fucks tearing each other's eyes out.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

joepinetree posted:

The likely new minister of science and technology in the Temer government:

He is the host. At the bottom, it reads "Cured of tuberculosis, brain tumor and AIDS, Luis had only once cell in his body"

Well? Did it work?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Well? Did it work?

The amoeba moved out, so yes.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

nerdz posted:

Yeah. I mean, if you are going to suspend his mandate because he is using it to block investigations against him, the timing would have been better if they did it 5 months ago, when this was requested, and not now, when the impeachment process has already moved through the lower house. Don't get me wrong, it is a good start, but it feels a little "too little, too late" for me.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
To keep the pattern going, turns out that Movimento Brasil Livre, one of the movements dedicated to ousting Dilma, is led by incredibly corrupt people:

http://noticias.uol.com.br/politica...-44-milhoes.htm

Essentially the leader will create companies, suck them dry, and then not pay workers and suppliers. And he sets it up that though he loses all the lawsuits related to it, since he liquidates all the companies there are no assets left to pay what is owed.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What's Mexico been up to lately? Has there been any progress against the cartels heavily responsible for the current border mess?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Interim president of congress annuls impeachment proceedings.

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/poder/2016/05/1769301-presidente-interino-da-camara-anula-tramitacao-do-impeachment.shtml

I have no idea what will happen with this, legally.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA gently caress this country

E: I mean, the impeachment is lovely and Temer is a garbage person, but man everything about this whole process is terrible

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

joepinetree posted:

Interim president of congress annuls impeachment proceedings.

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/poder/2016/05/1769301-presidente-interino-da-camara-anula-tramitacao-do-impeachment.shtml

I have no idea what will happen with this, legally.

People are saying that it doenst changes anything directly since the process is already at the hands of the senate, unless the STF somehow intervenes

In any case, everything is very confusing right now

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
lmao

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is kinda funny to see the left now cheering a move from a politician as corrupt as Cunha and from the same party as Bolsonaro

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is kinda funny to see the left now cheering a move from a politician as corrupt as Cunha and from the same party as Bolsonaro

While its obvious that none of this is being done with noble intentions, the above makes no sense. If tomorrow Bolsonaro himself decides to defend a policy that the left wants, should they immediately flip flop?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Won't this only trigger another vote though? And the votes will be all the same? So we're just postponing stuff that will happen anyway, and looking even worse while doing it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I've heard of Brazil nuts, but this is next-level.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

nerdz posted:

Won't this only trigger another vote though? And the votes will be all the same? So we're just postponing stuff that will happen anyway, and looking even worse while doing it.

I guess? But then he'll annul it again? :psyduck:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

nerdz posted:

The impeachment process is in the senate, so it is unclear if it can be stopped like that. This will likely fall to the STF to decide whether it can be annulled.

If it is annulled, whether the votes will be the same is in question. I wouldn't doubt that this was all set up by Cunha to save himself, which would mean that what would decide it all going forward is who can offer him more.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

People are already speculating this is Cunha getting back at Temer for being kicked out of office, nobody is too sure though because this was just so loving sudden and unannounced.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
At this point, I'm half expecting Temer to appoint an openly trans person to the ministry of Defense and to declare Shia islam the national religion. might as well make sure that ALL institutions of the country are convulsing together.

I doubt this latest gambit will amount to much, but it's darkly amusing to see that if the media/political elite thinks it can just empower, use and discard the petty small fry of congress to get its way, it will not be able to do so cleanly or neatly.

I'm as to the left as it gets, but at this point even I am in favor of the government throwing in the towel and making some sort of stabilizing . But who on the other side would even take a deal? They want the whole cake, yesterday. Can't offer to have Lula not run in 2018 because they are already working on making him unable to run on the side. Can't offer ministerial/cabinet positions because they're close to getting them all.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
So, the interim president of congress just anuuled his own annulation of the impeachment process

in the political 3d chess they're playing around in that loving palace this move must make sense somehow, the alternative being that the guy is just sincerely dumb.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well it didnt last long but at least we got some good memes out of it

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 10, 2016

Lucy_Cominato
Oct 23, 2010
This mess looks like a multiplayer Magic: the Gathering game full of control decks with every spell played becoming a battle of counterspells between several players.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grouchio posted:

What's Mexico been up to lately? Has there been any progress against the cartels heavily responsible for the current border mess?

still busy making students "disappear" like it's 1936

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Lucy_Cominato posted:

This mess looks like a multiplayer Magic: the Gathering game full of control decks with every spell played becoming a battle of counterspells between several players.

Ah, yes.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

As a formerly young but now apparently aging American white man, this analogy totally worked for me.

Way more than most of the conversation here, anyway.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-politics-presidency-idUSKCN0Y12KQ

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

litany of gulps posted:

As a formerly young but now apparently aging American white man, this analogy totally worked for me.

Way more than most of the conversation here, anyway.

I don't understand it but it's such an endearingly goony analogy :allears:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Shieeeet...I think Dilma should grow a pair and go Allende against the impeachment forces.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Symbolic Butt posted:

I don't understand it but it's such an endearingly goony analogy :allears:

Look, the situation here is garbage, we might as well relate it to some entertaining nerd poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqioAAFt7_I

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Negrostrike posted:

Shieeeet...I think Dilma should grow a pair and go Allende against the impeachment forces.

Hmmm how did that work out..

:suicide:

Oh. =(

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Well except the suicide part I guess...

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 11, 2016

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

Look, the situation here is garbage, we might as well relate it to some entertaining nerd poo poo:

What a missed opportunity to call it "brasilia is unfixable"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Wasn't there a akira one too?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dias posted:

:pusheen:

floppo
Aug 24, 2005
Can someone point me to a decent outline of Ecuadorian politics? Wikipedia is kind of sparse besides the article on Correa. Is the situation as polarized as Venezuala?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Temer's cabinet is looking to be the worst collection of vultures I've ever seen. Love or hate them, pretty much all presidents since Collor would appoint at least some technocrats for key positions. They might have used a large number of positions as bargaining chips to get congressional support, but at least some of them would be career technocrats or academics. Meanwhile, not only are Temer's invites so far to purely political figures, but they are terrible ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
PMDB's official twitter photoshopped Temer's smile today.

His government will probably be like a worse version of Dilma's government, it's basically the same grand alliance of parties subtracting PT and adding some PSDB into the mix that's gonna take ministerial positions, but his stability is gonna depend on whether the vestigial anti-PT sentiment can glue all of this together for the next 2 years.