Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The "grab Freddy in a dream and then pull him into reality when you wake up" trick has beaten Freddy before, and they never needed a hulking immortal monster to beat him. You'd think the kids would have been rooting for Freddy to win the fight because once their both in tangible reality Jason is by far the bigger threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Finally got around to seeing AV|P:R (note the pipe!), and I can only describe it using wrestling terms: It's heatless. Why are they fighting? Why do we care? Why are there two other unrelated plots running? Why is the Sheriff friends with an ex-con? Why was the Predator keeping things under wraps with the blue clue-removing juice?

It has this thing that The Fifth Element does where the two sides never actually meet or interact (the Sheriff never even sees an Alien or a Predator), for no real reason, especially since he gets glassed at the end so it wouldn't have mattered.

It's like they had a bunch of plots and mooshed them into one movie but didn't thematically or logically tie them together. It was hilariously mean-spirited, but also plays loose with the rules (why does the Pred-alien have an egg gland?)

There's no sense of stakes-raising, either. The people want to escape, the aliens want to spread, the predator wants to kill all the aliens. In the end, everyone gets their wish, and we are none the richer for it. I guess they were constrained by the timeline that prevents them from knowing too much about the Aliens before the Nostromo finds the Space Jockey several hundred years later, but even that is undone by Yutani having Predator tech.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 14, 2016

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Darko posted:

My last part was referring to, since Freddy was the clear villain, he got multiple "wins" over Jason in the climax, and it took the protagonists + Jason to really "defeat" him.

If anything, Freddy got a far better showing in that movie since, one on one, he beat Jason around 3 different times in the real world and dream worlds. The advantage of being the villain, I guess.

Basebf555 posted:

The "grab Freddy in a dream and then pull him into reality when you wake up" trick has beaten Freddy before, and they never needed a hulking immortal monster to beat him. You'd think the kids would have been rooting for Freddy to win the fight because once their both in tangible reality Jason is by far the bigger threat.

Yeah, I think we're on the same page. Freddy's performance in the climax is a bit of a movie contrivance in the interest of providing an interesting scene. (In fairness to the movie, I think Freddy gains most of his upper hands by being wily and using the environment to his advantage; if I remember right it's really only once they get on the dock where the movie starts stretching credulity regarding his mano e mano fighting prowess).

Getting back on topic, I don't think you can pick out a winner in either Alien Vs Predator movie. At the end of both movies all the aliens are dead and all the predators are dead. They also both involve the predators all quickly getting wittled down to just One Particularly Bad rear end predator who makes mincemeat out of most aliens he encounters- but in the end, the aliens are only contained because of "Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" and the One Particularly Bad rear end predator basically has a tie in his final bout with the One Particularly Bad rear end alien.

If there are 'winners' to these movies it's the human characters that make it out alive (kind of ironic considering the "Whoever wins, we lose" tagline).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

"Why is the Sheriff friends with an ex-con?"

Because they've befriended eachother.

"Why was the Predator keeping things under wraps with the blue clue-removing juice?"

Because he wants to keep things under wraps.

"Why does the Pred-alien have an egg gland?"

Because it's part of its biology.

It's like you see a dude eating a sandwich while talking on the phone and it's, like, "why is he eating a sandwich? Why is he talking? Why is he using a phone to talk? I don't understand!"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why does Parker say he wants to eat Lamberts pussy? Dont make no sense imo

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Aliens win AvP, Humans win AVP:R. Predators just show up to lose.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This everclear is loving me up

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

McDowell posted:

This everclear is loving me up

That guy was drinking it out of a pitcher with no mixer. There is no way.

Why not just drink it from the bottle at that point?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

"Why is the Sheriff friends with an ex-con?"

Because they've befriended eachother.
Why, though? They don't talk about what they have in common or anything, the sheriff just picks him up at the Greyhound and they're cool for some reason? Do Sheriffs often take a personal interest in B&E ex-cons? Did they go to school together? The sheriff seems young. But this is never explained or mentioned in the movie.

"Why was the Predator keeping things under wraps with the blue clue-removing juice?"

Because he wants to keep things under wraps.
Why does the Predator want this? It's been shown in other Predator movies they care very little about keeping their existence secret. What reason does the Predator have to do this, other than to keep the knowledge of Aliens and/or Predators away from humans (which, as shown in other movies, they don't really care about)

"Why does the Pred-alien have an egg gland?"

Because it's part of its biology.
No it isn't. No other drone Alien has reproductive organs, it's been established the life cycle is egg -> facehugger -> chestburster -> alien. When aliens spawn from non-humans (Alien^3), they have non-human traits but are still essentially drones.
[/quote]

It's like you see a dude eating a sandwich while talking on the phone and it's, like, "why is he eating a sandwich? Why is he talking? Why is he using a phone to talk? I don't understand!"
:rolleyes: because clearly wanting to understand relationships between characters is as banal as wondering how a telephone works.

I want to know why, diagetically, these plot elements occur, if there is any reason other than "we need these characters to be together/we need this information to be obscured for plot reasons/we need more than 4 aliens to exist" Because that is lazy writing if the sheriff and con are friends "because reasons"

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 14, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Everblight posted:

No it isn't. No other drone Alien has reproductive organs, it's been established the life cycle is egg -> facehugger -> chestburster -> alien. When aliens spawn from non-humans (Alien^3), they have non-human traits but are still essentially drones.

The Predalien has an egg sac because it is conductive to the plot for the Predalien to have an egg sac and if you seriously need some sort of justification for this fact in the canon then you need to take a step back.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Everblight posted:

Why does the Predator want this? It's been shown in other Predator movies they care very little about keeping their existence secret. What reason does the Predator have to do this, other than to keep the knowledge of Aliens and/or Predators away from humans (which, as shown in other movies, they don't really care about)

There's completely reasonable, interesting explanations if you're willing to stretch your imagination even the least bit.

Maybe the Predator/Alien hybrid is some sort of secret project that has to be covered up at all costs. Maybe the captain of this particular Predator ship is scrambling to cover up this massive gently caress up for personal cover my own rear end reasons.

My rule of thumb is if the explanation is easy to think of and can be boiled down to one or two sentences, it doesn't need to be in the movie. Let the audience interpret for themselves.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Predalien force feeding eggs is the coolest poo poo this genre has seen in the last 20 30 years.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
This is why we can't have good things.

Yes, the two characters used to be friends. There's even dialogue telling you that the sheriff used to be a juvenile delinquent before he cleaned up his act. The other friend didn't, and now things are awkward between them. You can tell this because they act like old friends but things are awkward between them.

The predator cleans things up because he gets a signal from the other predators, telling him that there's stuff to clean up. And then he does that, because he wants to. You can tell this because he goes to clean things up, instead of not doing that.

The alien in the movie is different from others. You can tell this because it looks different, and does different things.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 14, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Where's the codex I can click on and look at the Predalien lore page to understand their physiology?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I collected all the notes in Alien Versus Predator Requiem but not a single one was a diary explaining the Predator's internal motivations for wanting to destroy evidence.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I will say the character motivations were clear enough in Requiem without having to think for more than 10 seconds as opposed to Prometheus where nothing made any loving sense

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

I will say the character motivations were clear enough in Requiem without having to think for more than 10 seconds as opposed to Prometheus where nothing made any loving sense

Everything in Prometheus makes sense. Let's debate it for five or six pages.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

How did the dude who makes the map be the only motherfucker to get lost jfc

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

oldpainless posted:

He was bad at his job.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

They were all bad at their jobs but a bad mapmaker should still do better than non-map-makers

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

oldpainless posted:

He wanted to get lost, and having the map let him know exactly how to do that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

See, simple concise explanations, that's all I ask.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
As we all know, map makers never get lost. No way it could ever happen.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
He should've had the magic map from Harry Potter. That'd be a cool movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd love to see a Harry Potter/Alien crossover movie.

In the book series The Dresden Files a wizard fights a xenomorph with his wizard tricks. It was pretty cool.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've mentioned before but I draw buildings for a living, I map buildings and sites, I inspect those buildings I drew, I have a pretty good sense of direction, but I still sometimes get my self turned around and slightly lost. Add in panic and it's very understandable that lovely map guy got lost.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lady Naga posted:

The Predalien has an egg sac because it is conductive to the plot for the Predalien to have an egg sac and if you seriously need some sort of justification for this fact in the canon then you need to take a step back.
The PredAlien is also a Queen, it has the Queen's head crest and everything. The behind the scenes logic was that the PredAlien was a juvenile Queen (which we've never seen before) and juvenile Queens can egg-barf embryos right down a host's throat in order to jump-start a hive quickly.

The Sheriff being friends with the ex-con I took to mean that they were friends prior to being sheriff and ex-con. I thought the movie made that pretty obvious.

The Predator doing cleanup duty is because it knows Aliens are dangerous and idiot prey species like humans shouldn't have access to them.
Predators do an alright job of keeping themselves under wraps to a degree (be it from self destructing themselves and destroying all evidence, leaving no survivors, etc) well enough so that humanity doesn't have access to their technology.

Having said that, the comics and novels play around with the idea of "Predator secrecy" in interesting ways. Basically the idea is that pretty much any boogeyman in cultural folklore throughout human history was inspired by Predators showing up and hunting people.

Additionally, near-future world governments know about Predators and actively cover them up, the logic being that they recognize Predators are really obviously much more technologically advanced than humans, and they have no qualms killing us for fun, so it's better to let the Predators show up every couple of decades, kill a few of us, and then leave, rather than stand up to them, make humanity more trouble than it's worth, and risk getting curbstomped.

Having said that, one of the early Predator comics had this exact situation happen, and just as it was about to turn into a knock down drag out slugfest, and even though the Predators were "winning", the Predators just cloaked all their stuff and left. The characters realize that the Predators come to Earth to hunt humans for fun and sport, and curbstomping us is neither of those, so the Predators just said "gently caress this noise" and bailed once it stopped being fun.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Do Newt and Hicks survive in the Assembly cut? No? Alien 3 was still poo poo, OP. I didn't shed all those tears over the fate of poor Newt just so some corporate suits could kill her off between movies for some lovely franchise cash in.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Applewhite posted:

Do Newt and Hicks survive in the Assembly cut? No? Alien 3 was still poo poo, OP. I didn't shed all those tears over the fate of poor Newt just so some corporate suits could kill her off between movies for some lovely franchise cash in.
I don't think you "get" what Alien3 was trying to accomplish. By your reasoning, The Empire Strikes Back is a bad movie because it shits all over the happy ending of Star Wars (or The Force Awakens is bad because it kills Han Solo).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

I don't think you "get" what Alien3 was trying to accomplish. By your reasoning, The Empire Strikes Back is a bad movie because it shits all over the happy ending of Star Wars (or The Force Awakens is bad because it kills Han Solo).

It accomplished sucking.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Nice, was gonna see that tomorrow after a long wait but cheers for the spoiler.

Also Hicks was a boring character and Newt was only there for Ripley's character development.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sir Kodiak posted:

He wanted to get lost, and having the map let him know exactly how to do that.

But why did he kick the map into the river??

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Stare-Out posted:

It's been out for three months, I figured anyone who wanted to see it had already seen it at this point unless they'd been in prison or on military deployment or something. :shobon:

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It accomplished sucking.
But the sucking isn't contingent on whether Newt dies, that's the point I was making. If you don't like a movie because of what it does to a character from a prior movie and you're not asking *why* it did that to that character, then you're not exactly engaging the movie on its own terms.

I'm not saying every sequel gets a free pass to kill/ruin/mischaracterize a character from a prior movie, but sometimes they have a good reason for doing so, or are using it to convey a certain message or develop another character in a certain way, even if you don't agree with it.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 14, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

There's an important difference in context. The deaths at the beginning of Alien3 completely negate the entire arch of those characters, as well as Ripley's, from the previous movie.

Empire Strikes Back makes it clear that blowing up the Death Star wasn't the final victory it may have seemed, but the story then moves forward from that point without completely ignoring what came before. When Han Solo dies in TFA its after half a movie's worth of build-up, and it happens at the precise moment that works the best for the story they're trying to tell. The entire purpose of Newt and Hicks death seems to be that they wanted the same old damaged Ripley to have to go mano a mano with an Alien again, and the evolution she goes through in Aliens didn't fit with what they wanted to do.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

If Newt had died during Alien 3 as part of the natural progression of the plot I would not be nearly so salty about it. Yeah it would be tragic but I would accept it from a storytelling perspective. Killing her between movies just so Ripley has to start her next adventure alone feels contrived.

Stare-Out posted:

Also Hicks was a boring character and Newt was only there for Ripley's character development.

Characters are more than the sum of their plot points.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
My problem with Alien 3 is less that they killed thise two and more that we don't get much to fill the gap with Clemens and Andrews both getting killed early in rapid succession. The workprint adds enough to fix this though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Most people, myself included, just have a hard time remembering which bit of characterization goes to which generic looking bald white guy.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

davidspackage posted:

But why did he kick the map into the river??

So that the dream of being lost might never end.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Applewhite posted:

If Newt had died during Alien 3 as part of the natural progression of the plot I would not be nearly so salty about it. Yeah it would be tragic but I would accept it from a storytelling perspective. Killing her between movies just so Ripley has to start her next adventure alone feels contrived.

"Why? Why are the innocent punished? Why the sacrifice? Why the pain? There aren't any promises. Nothing's certain. Only that some get called, some get saved. She won't ever know the hardship and grief for those of us left behind. We commit these bodies to the void...with a glad heart. For within each seed, there is the promise of a flower. And within each death, no matter how big or small, there's always a new life. A new beginning. Amen."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tenzarin posted:

Predalien force feeding eggs is the coolest poo poo this genre has seen in the last 20 30 years.

Nah. It sucks poo poo.

Why? Because egg morphing is so much better!