Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I got The Great Maw today from a gem key. I normally run triple rockworm and prismatic orb. Now I have maw on my first spot.

:catstare:

It's not even fully leveled or traited yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Keeper of Souls is fun. Green Slime/Giant Spider/Valkrie/Keeper of Souls. Once I power up Valkyrie, its usually over. And with double Necromancy trait, I only have to cast Valkyrie's spell twice to get the maximum amount of souls.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Are the (mobile at least) servers unable to log in for anyone else? I need my daily fix.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Night Danger Moose posted:

Are the (mobile at least) servers unable to log in for anyone else? I need my daily fix.

Yeah, I can't connect through Steam either.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Night Danger Moose posted:

Yup, down for me since a little before 10 central; I'm guessing they're still having the server problems we got rewarded for earlier this week.

I noticed to that my guild contributions are not always showing up, I think I've sent about 75k this week, and it was only showing 25k when I could login earlier this morning.

And gently caress all the fully traited/ascended Gorgath/Gorgath/Rak/Rak teams - I can beat them but it takes a fuckton of time.

edit: as soon as I hit send, my game logged in, but as soon as I tried to get my kingdom rewards I got the old 'disconnected from server message'.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Things appear to be back in operation now. I feel bad for the developers that all this poo poo is happening between their announcement that they're moving to new servers and the actual transfer.

There's an interesting thread on the official forums about fast Valkyrie teams. Might be worth a read-through if you aren't active over there already.
http://community.gemsofwar.com/t/wonderful-valkyrie/6287/1/
(I might try Black Manacles/Valkyrie/Green Slime/Keeper of Souls once I've gotten all the other classes to 250 wins)

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 4, 2016

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah, there was a similar thread back in February:
http://community.gemsofwar.com/t/looking-for-a-fast-kill-valkyrie-team/3378,
I dunno how many patches and nerfs ago that is, but in particular it recommended

Skeleton
Green slime
Valk
Keeper of souls

which sounds pretty good, but I'm still waiting on KoS to drop. (KoS and Jarl are probably on my most wanted list right now)
Either way, I finally got that last missing arcane trait stone (and max level) for Treant after what feels like 100 matches, so I guess I'll be using that until then.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Jarl isn't that great. Half of the time he goes off and you can cast his spell and Goblin Rocket a bunch. The other half of the time you just give the AI a board full of match-4s which powers up Sheggra.

KoS is amazing, though.

I really want them to fix summons. My Giant Spider claims to create level 15 Spiderlings. But only once has that actually happened. Most of the time they have 5 attack, which is pretty bad. Ideally, I want summons to benefit from Kingdom bonuses. And they should be a copy of your cards. So if I trait Spiderling and ascend it to Rare, it would be reflected in game when I summon one with Giant Spider. Then I could make a really annoying Spider deck for defense, with Drofkarr or whatever, who summons Giant Spiders. And the Giants would summon Spiderlings!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
So, here's something else I just learned about this game.

Every 5 revenge battles you get bonus souls, and every 15 you get bonus gold. The base amounts are 30 and 3,000, respectively. They're boosted by armor bonuses, but also by the difficulty level of the 5th/15th fight.

So every 15th revenge battle, you can crank up the difficulty for that fight alone and get additional bonus gold.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Grundulum posted:

Try emailing Support and expressing your buyer's remorse. They might refund your KoS.
Thanks for this suggestion, they were actually super-nice and did this. Wouldn't ever have thought about bothering them about it. :)

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Any idea why sometimes playing on my phone won't count as a login and I lose my consecutive daily progress? I always restart the app just in case but either I play only on my phone or only on Steam or I lose it eventually.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
You sure it isn't your timing? reset is at 11am EST, so if you logged in from your phone at 10a one day, then 11:01a the next, you missed a day.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Depends posted:

Any idea why sometimes playing on my phone won't count as a login and I lose my consecutive daily progress? I always restart the app just in case but either I play only on my phone or only on Steam or I lose it eventually.

I lose mine periodically for no drat reason and it's pretty annoying. I haven't figured out what causes it though. I wrote support about it once and it popped up way later that day but it wasn't really worth the effort.

I only play on my iPad.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Depends posted:

I lose mine periodically for no drat reason and it's pretty annoying. I haven't figured out what causes it though. I wrote support about it once and it popped up way later that day but it wasn't really worth the effort.

I only play on my iPad.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
It is time to start hoarding your keys again, people. Devs said today that previews for 2.0 are going up sometime this week, and the expectation is that 2.0 will come with at least one new kingdom.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Grundulum posted:

It is time to start hoarding your keys again, people. Devs said today that previews for 2.0 are going up sometime this week, and the expectation is that 2.0 will come with at least one new kingdom.
Thanks for the warning, I am going to do just that. :)

About the issues with the reward, I think it may be caused by an issue that causes you not to receive your reward sometimes unless you restart the game / do some other poo poo. I haven't fully figured it out, but often I am playing on my mobile during the reset and then only receive it once I play on the computer. I am not 100% sure if restarting on my phone fixed it but I think so.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Why do people store up keys before a kingdom's release? Is it to get the garbage units you won't ever use as soon as they become available or is it so that you can get a small start on grinding out the stars for the kingdom?

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
Do you get the souls/keys/maps etc. from abilities used by the ai on defense?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

ninguno posted:

Do you get the souls/keys/maps etc. from abilities used by the ai on defense?

You don't get anything from character abilities. You get gems from any 5 match chains that the AI makes with your team. I think you get keys based on the same mechanism that you get keys during regular gameplay.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Jibo posted:

Why do people store up keys before a kingdom's release? Is it to get the garbage units you won't ever use as soon as they become available or is it so that you can get a small start on grinding out the stars for the kingdom?

It's this, for me. Even if I never use a troop, I would like to have them all ascended to mythic for the same reason I tried to collect 'em all in a different video game series. By spending a whole mess of keys when the troop comes out, I get a small head start on that goal.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Davethulhu posted:

I think you get keys based on the same mechanism that you get keys during regular gameplay.

Is there any logic to this? I get keys on random matches, haven't figured out a pattern yet.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Jibo posted:

Your guess is probably right, but I don't bother hoarding keys either. I will probably hold off spending gems on keys, but gold and glory keys aren't a big deal to me.

I do try and save up to roughly 130k gold it takes to max the kingdom before it drops though.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Bandire posted:

Your guess is probably right, but I don't bother hoarding keys either. I will probably hold off spending gems on keys, but gold and glory keys aren't a big deal to me.

I do try and save up to roughly 130k gold it takes to max the kingdom before it drops though.

Same here - I want that Kingdom at level 10 on the drop.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Davethulhu posted:

You don't get anything from character abilities. You get gems from any 5 match chains that the AI makes with your team. I think you get keys based on the same mechanism that you get keys during regular gameplay.

Oh, nice to know. Are there any teams particularly good at generating gems on defense, then? I don't care about winning, right now I only have a level 1 peasant on defense after I found out that you get a significant souls from revenge battles.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I got a new phone today. And this game looks terrible on it. A lot of the textures or images look corrupted. It's the LG Nexus 5X. I took a screen cap:

I tried uninstalling it and re-downloading it from the Play store, but it looks similar, if not the same graphical errors.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

gromdul posted:

I got a new phone today. And this game looks terrible on it. A lot of the textures or images look corrupted. It's the LG Nexus 5X. I took a screen cap:

I tried uninstalling it and re-downloading it from the Play store, but it looks similar, if not the same graphical errors.

I have had this on my Nexus 6P since I started playing and it doesn't seem to affect teh game (although every once in a while I will get a weird exit-to-loading-screen-and-then-back-in that kills touch support and makes me kill the app. IDK why it happens. You'll notice the corruption looks different every time, and different graphics will get corrupted.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Indeed it is different. It runs fine on my Nexus 5! On my 5X there are a lot of issues. In addition to the graphics corruption, trying to type in the in game chat my keyboard was sluggish and unresponsive. Same with game play. Lots of stutters when making matches. To top it off, I cast Green Slimes spell when it clearly made a 4-match. It turned all the greens to purple, but then the game handed my opponent the turn BEFORE resolving the gem matches. It was the craziest thing I have seen. The AI then matches some skulls, and all the purple matches created by the Green Slime went off too.

The 5X and 6P have been out for a year, how is this an issue still?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

gromdul posted:

This is a known incompatibility between Adobe Air (the platform GoW uses) and Android. The developers say they can't do anything about it except bug the other two parties for a fix.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I'd like a guild invite. Looks like my invite code is 'Campbell 2'

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Campbell posted:

I'd like a guild invite. Looks like my invite code is 'Campbell 2'

Invited to Gem Blossums.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

gromdul posted:

Indeed it is different. It runs fine on my Nexus 5! On my 5X there are a lot of issues. In addition to the graphics corruption, trying to type in the in game chat my keyboard was sluggish and unresponsive. Same with game play. Lots of stutters when making matches. To top it off, I cast Green Slimes spell when it clearly made a 4-match. It turned all the greens to purple, but then the game handed my opponent the turn BEFORE resolving the gem matches. It was the craziest thing I have seen. The AI then matches some skulls, and all the purple matches created by the Green Slime went off too.

The 5X and 6P have been out for a year, how is this an issue still?
Yeah I've had some weird effects with lag as well.. Just now (on my desktop, even) it first turned green into purple and then spawned the green gems.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
By the way, is there a comprehensive guide for reward weapons somewhere? All I've found are either outdated or incomplete. Currently I'm beelining for burning scythe which is 40 red and purple mastery, right? Are there rewards that go beyond 40? What other weapons can I get from masteries that are worthwhile as well?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Oenis posted:

By the way, is there a comprehensive guide for reward weapons somewhere? All I've found are either outdated or incomplete. Currently I'm beelining for burning scythe which is 40 red and purple mastery, right? Are there rewards that go beyond 40? What other weapons can I get from masteries that are worthwhile as well?

If you go to the troops tab > hero > show all, you can see every weapon in the game. Tap on a greyed out one to see the requirements.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Not sure how the 2x souls is calculated. Normally with armor and necromancy and VIP I cap out at 60. With the PVP event it caps at 80.

Net 20 more souls for using a useless troop? His summon, like all summons, is worthless. And at a 30% chance, is typically unreliable. At best, you get to chuck a troop at the enemy who was probably going to die anyway.

He could be interesting if you truly built a summoning team around him. His traits are very boring, though.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

gromdul posted:

Not sure how the 2x souls is calculated. Normally with armor and necromancy and VIP I cap out at 60. With the PVP event it caps at 80.

The souls are genuinely doubling for me -- from 80 to 160 if I hit the cap. Not sure why you're seeing different behavior.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
If anyone wants to take part in the double souls event this week, this team is fairly robust:

Abhorrath (preferably with the first two traits)
Valkyrie (all three traits if possible)
Giant Spider (first trait)
Sacrificial Priest

Abhorrath gets pumped up by both 4-gem matches and spell casts with its first two traits, and Valkyrie and Giant Spider both loop pretty well. I regularly have Abhorrath's attack above 70 by the time the match is over -- I usually sacrifice it with the Priest for an 80-90 damage finishing blow.

Edit: this team is rather vulnerable to the frozen status effect, so you should probably scout ahead of time and see if the opponent is leading with a Bone Dragon or some such.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
T-t-t-triple post!

The first (possibly only) preview for 2.0 just went up. The new PVP system looks pretty fun, although the global ranking system (not the tier system) will reward hardcore grinders pretty much exclusively.

https://youtu.be/LEx65q8pXNw

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

The new system looks challenging - are they eliminating the separate defense team?

I need to come up with a more robust attach team than the goblin hoarde I'm using. What are you high-level folks using for attack teams now?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Keeper of Souls and gem-swap troops to power him up.

Defense is a Whitehelm/Divine team with Archon/Paladin/Hero/Mercy. Works well on attack too as a synergistic, no frills team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

gromdul posted:

Keeper of Souls and gem-swap troops to power him up.

Defense is a Whitehelm/Divine team with Archon/Paladin/Hero/Mercy. Works well on attack too as a synergistic, no frills team.

Well, I still don't have Keeper of Souls - bah. I'm level 296.