Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
He isn't Tony Abbott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

EXAKT Science posted:

He isn't Tony Abbott.

You got it.

Welcome to personality politics.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
RIP Australia 18 dicketity doo - 1998

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

RIP Australia 18 dicketity doo - 1998

Why 1998?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

You know they think it's a poo poo thing to do when it gets announced between xmas and ny.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Budget 'Mergency, Mista Speakah

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Recoome posted:

Budget 'Mergency, Mista Speakah

But I thought there wasn't a budget emergency after all :shrug:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

anidav was born

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Solemn Sloth posted:

anidav was born

Probably fair enough that Australia died that day then.

For fucks sake. Shoot that person please.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

stop all the boats

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

:wtc:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

"something making ham posted:

Minister Jamie Briggs quits Malcolm Turnbull's government after 'incident' abroad

Junior Minister Jamie Briggs is quitting the frontbench after an "incident which occurred while he was abroad" acting in his official capacity, sources have told Fairfax Media.

Mr Briggs is due to make a statement in his hometown of Adelaide shortly.

He was almost dumped from the Ministry after Malcolm Turnbull's Cabinet reshuffle, where he was handed the Cities and Built Environment portfolio. He was previously the Assistant Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development.

He is now quitting the ministry after talks with the PM.

Sources would not elaborate on the type of incident in which Mr Briggs was involved ahead of his official statement.

@BriggsJamie says he did not meet the obligations of the Ministerial Code of Conduct. "Offence was taken" by the female public servant.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mal Brough standing aside as well.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Federal Liberal MP Jamie Briggs has stepped down from the frontbench after a late-night incident involving a female public servant in a Hong Kong bar.

"At no point was it my intention to act inappropriately and I'm obliged to note for the record that nothing illegal has been alleged or in fact did occur," he told a press conference.

"However, in the days following the evening, the public servant concerned raised concerns about the appropriateness of my behaviour towards her at the venue.

"I've apologised directly to her but after careful reflection about the concerns she raised and the fact that I was at a bar late at night while on an overseas visit I have concluded this behaviour has not met the particularly high standards for ministers."

:barf:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birb Katter posted:

@BriggsJamie says he did not meet the obligations of the Ministerial Code of Conduct. "Offence was taken" by the female public servant.

Hard to see that happening under Abbott.

If it was only "offence" then it would be an interesting call seeing anyone going too hard on this as it would come across as curiosity over concern.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Graic Gabtar posted:

Hard to see that happening under Abbott.

If it was only "offence" then it would be an interesting call seeing anyone going too hard on this as it would come across as curiosity over concern.

Think about how hard you need to gently caress up to step away from the front bench. Choppergate got Abbott booted from power because it's apparently OK to do.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

"offence was taken" is some dude basically attempting to handwave his behaviour towards a woman. "Oh I'm sorry, I was only being a loving creepo and touching her and poo poo but she ~took offence~ to this where she should actually be honoured and humbled that I would touch her".

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So what did he do

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

:barf:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So did he sniff her chair or put his penis in her wine glass?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Seagull posted:

foist the choice

noice

Cleretic posted:

Well, the obvious reason is that the people demonising the carbon tax actually think Workchoices was a pretty good idea.

Personally, I'd also believe that part of it comes through the names. 'Carbon tax' is a really easy thing to aim at, because just from the name it's clear what it is, and from there you can plan your attack. 'Workchoices' is one of those skeevy, empty names that sounds like it means something vaguely positive but doesn't actually give you any idea what it refers to or does.

"poorfisting" doesn't narrow it down enough within the liberal party policy base.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

@shanebazzi posted:

There's never been a more exciting time to resign from the Turnbull ministry

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

He paid for the dinner so he should be able to sexually harrass anyone he wants.

It's his money!

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Jumpingmanjim posted:

So did he sniff her chair or put his penis in her wine glass?

Wine in glass isn't resign from cabinet bad. You could ride that out. It also happened in November so there is loads of evidence for how bad it was. It really is chair sniffing bad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whats up with Brough?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birb Katter posted:

Think about how hard you need to gently caress up to step away from the front bench. Choppergate got Abbott booted from power because it's apparently OK to do.

Well you would hope that a higher standard is now being applied.

The Abbott government was a train wreck that people were watching with morbid curiosity. There's only so much people can take though. Ostentatious chopper displays finally trumped onion chomping and that was thankfully it. gently caress knows home many things like this were deep sixed under Abbott and at least this one made it to the light.

However, if it was more than "offence" then due process should take place. If guilty throw the arsehole to the wolves basically. Up to the public servant I guess.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Mal Brough standing aside as well.

For anyone who wants more information on this, there isn't any, it's a 3 paragraph statement, of which one paragraph is about the resigning hong kong thing.

really trying to bury this one.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Cleretic posted:

Well, the obvious reason is that the people demonising the carbon tax actually think Workchoices was a pretty good idea.

Personally, I'd also believe that part of it comes through the names. 'Carbon tax' is a really easy thing to aim at, because just from the name it's clear what it is, and from there you can plan your attack. 'Workchoices' is one of those skeevy, empty names that sounds like it means something vaguely positive but doesn't actually give you any idea what it refers to or does.

WorkChoices arguably cost Howard the 07 election. It hit a lot of people who were worse off under it, plenty of such have only just come out from under it in the last few years.

The hilarity if the carbon tax is that it was even an election issue given it had been implemented with no pain and, in fact, the majority of the country being better off for it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I can't quite put into words why the phrase:

"I have concluded this behaviour has not met the particularly high standards for ministers."

makes me so loving angry in the context of resigning from cabinet over harassing a woman while drunk.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 29, 2015

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

hooman posted:

"I have concluded this behaviour has not met the particularly high standards for ministers."

makes me so loving angry in the context of resigning from cabinet over harassing a woman while drunk.

It's victim blaming. "this poo poo would be fine normally but not because there is a camera on me" is what he's saying.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
With the cricket being poo poo I'm glad that our real national sport is still going strong.

SynthOrange posted:

Whats up with Brough?
Stepping aside because he's being investigated for Ashby-related stuff.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

How can a man who doubles down on Abbott policy be so popular?

the majority of Australians have only marginally more intelligence than the bare minimum needed to be a functioning human being.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

hooman posted:

He doesn't want the get drunk and harassing women crowd to think he's saying they can't do that, it's only if you're a cabinet minister you can't.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

"At no point was it my intention to act inappropriately and I'm obliged to note for the record that nothing illegal has been alleged or in fact did occur," he told a press conference.

the "technically nothing I did was illegal" defence is extremely loving good.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

the "technically nothing I did was illegal" defence is extremely loving good.

I bet he sought asylum. That unlawful bastard.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Had a quick check of some of the Hong Kong papers about it but they don't seem to have any more information then the Australian ones.

Maybe he just made fun of her accent or something. I mean you can never rule out causal racisms.

Just trying to represent the Australian public overseas :(

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 29, 2015

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Eh, the "appropriateness" of behaviour is usually means sexual harrassment/unwanted advances, if it was just racism he probably wouldn't have resigned over it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Things he wouldnt have resigned over:
Sexually harassing a refugee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Speakin' of resignations, aaahahahaha

http://m.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/minister-mal-brough-resigns-over-peter-slipper-police-inquiry-20151229-glw90i.html

• Locked thread