Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Guessing in the reddit thread:
code:
TR, America 	 Saladin, Arabia	Monty, Aztecs		Dom Pedro, Brazil?	Qin Shi Huang, China
Cleo, Egypt	 Vicky, England		?			?			?
Pericles, Greece Gandhi, India		Hojo, Japan		?			?
Jadwiga, Poland? Caesar?, Rome		Peter, Russia		Gilgamesh, Sumeria	Isabella, Spain
Gustav, Sweden	 ?

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I really like Pericles for Greece and the appearance of Sumeria. :3:

Shame about the Gandhi and the Monty appearance because I was hoping for a shake-up, but I guess that'd be discarding too many classic Civ icons.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

From civfanatics:

A1 - America - Theodor Roosevelt A2 - Arabia - Saladin A3 - Aztec - Montezuma A4 - Brazil - Pedro II A5 - China - Qin Shi Huang
B1 - Egypt - Cleopatra B2 - England - Victoria B3 - France - Henry IV B4 - Germany - Barbarossa B5 - Country with name between Germany-Greece
C1 - Greece - Pericles C2 - India - Ghandi C3 - Japan - Hojo C4 - Mali - Mansa Musa C5 - Mongols - Genghis
D1 - Poland - Jadwiga D2 - Rome - ? D3 - Russia - Peter the Great D4 - Country with name between Russia-Scandinavia/Spain D5 - Scandinavia Margaret I?
E1 - Spain - The wrong Isabella E2 - Sumeria - Gilgamesh E3 - Zulu cat

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Henry IV for France is a great choice, love the guy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Jadwiga is also a cool choice for Poland

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

pissed about the choice of peter over catherine for russia

also disappointed that we're getting gandhi again

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Goofy cartoony Gandhi will work just fine

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I appreciate that England is literally just Imperialism - the Civilisation at this point.

Most imperialist leader, all abilities focused on stealing/conquering people a long way away. loving great.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Kublai Khan as a builder-scholar type leader for the Mongols would have been rad.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Ok. Whoever made this image just cut the time to know every civ down to about 3 hours.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

Kublai Khan as a builder-scholar type leader for the Mongols would have been rad.

People can't actually figure out the "mongolian" portrait right now, so something else could happen.

Also, C4 isn't Mali, it's now thought to be Kongo

This image is pretty good except for Henry IV, people can't seem to figure out that E1 image, one theory is that it's Sweden put mixed up alphabetically with Sumeria, kind of looks like every european monarch though

Jump King fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 12, 2016

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'll laugh if this was a disinformation gambit just to wind civfanatics up

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Edit: Never mind.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If a cat doesn't lead the Zulu Empire at release, I know what needs to be a day 1 mod now.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I hope for Firaxis' sake that's the case, if not this is a pretty major bit of carelessness

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It worked on one dude then. Some guy ranting in the leader thread and acting like Firaxis made the game Eurocentric just so that he'd have to buy a $30 expansion pack to make it less Eurocentric.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
I mean, the more interesting things are their abilities and unique contributions to the game, not necessarily who they are.

It's a shame it's unintentionally leaked from their own videos, but just having a list of names and faces for the leaders isn't really going to do anything except generate interest or rage from people who don't feel represented (which was unavoidable anyway)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

For all the talk about TSL and everything there does seems to be a lot of europe there. I don't really care though, I'm a garbage consumer and will gladly pay out the rear end for every expansion and leader dlc.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I agree. The mechanics are what is important. What if they came up with a great idea for Vietnam, but decided that their ability would be better for an expansion pack mechanic. Wouldn't be smart to shoe them in at half the fun just for TSL right now.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Scythia and Kongo, huh?
Many people are going to hear about Scythians for the first time with this game, I guess.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Negrostrike posted:

Scythia and Kongo, huh?
Many people are going to hear about Scythians for the first time with this game, I guess.

rome total war should have done that already

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Negrostrike posted:

Scythia and Kongo, huh?

Where do you see that?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Davincie posted:

rome total war should have done that already

Ahem.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Kurtofan posted:

Where do you see that?

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 12, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I see, they've updated it.

Some people seem to think it might be Catherine de Médicis and not Henry IV for France, still a cool choice.

Francis I would be cool too.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Updated chart

Trajan, Catherine de Médicis added.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

This is a really good list so far. A lot of female leaders, and a few really unconvential picks like Scythia. Also we're finally getting a non Julian emperor for Rome.

I'm pretty sure one of the unknowns is Persia, it looks a LOT like a Persian relief. Problem is it'll be nearly impossible to know who, since the art was very stylized.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

what civ could be between germany and greece alphabetically? ghana's the only one i can think of offhand

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

For all the talk about TSL and everything there does seems to be a lot of europe there. I don't really care though, I'm a garbage consumer and will gladly pay out the rear end for every expansion and leader dlc.

I'm totally down for the suggestion someone jokingly made that Europe should be one civ run by Charlemagne. Then use all that freed up space to launch with ten different African civs.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Wow, they even managed to figure out the significance of the "cat".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Got excited because I thought I spotted Simon Bolivar and Machiavelli on there for a moment.

Though I suppose a de Medici is almost as good as Machiavelli.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Well... I like Trajan.

And Kongo seems like it's in. And Sumer and Pericles are back so that's good a least.

Still think Saladin, Cleo, and Teddy are overrated.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

that's the worst pun.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Here's the video it's from, by the by. (Teddy Roosevelt speaks at 1:57!)

Knowing how much effort goes into Leader models and animation, it might not be feasible to make alternate Leaders as opposed to new Civs, but with as many new choices for Vanilla as they have, Firaxis might find it justifiable to have some kind of pack for previously established figureheads later on. (It's the only way India will ever get anyone besides Gandhi, too.)

In any case, Isabella of Portugal seems a curious pick (especially if that is indeed supposed to be Phillip II in the last row)- perhaps it was an accident when they were looking for pictures of Queen Isabella of Spain? That portrait shows up in the top ten images searching Queen Isabella of Spain. But then again, it could be deliberate.

Saw a guess for Ardashir I of Sassanid Persia for the last of the third row (don't think the picture matches, but it might be interesting). Also Genghis Khan or an Ottoman.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Fairly likely it's Gustav for the last one.

I've been trying to come up with possible civs that start with a G for the first. (Goths?) The second one is a larger mystery (K-P!) I already considered Mongolia, Ottomans, Moari, Mayans. Nothing so far with my googling.

Edit: realized it's not entirely alphabetical

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 13, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Echo Chamber posted:

I've been trying to come up with possible civs that start with a G for the first. (Goths?) The second one is a larger mystery (K-P!) I already considered Mongolia, Ottomans, Moari, Mayans. Nothing so far with my googling.

Goths could be a good pick, probably under Alaric.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

That list seems to run contrary to what Ed said a while ago about them fleshing out the Real Earth map. It doesn't look like there's any civ in the vicinity of Australia unless one of those last few unknowns comes from that part of the world.

It's still a great list but I wonder how they're going to handle the DLC civs. I remember back when Civ 5 came out they released a few civs one at a time but later (I think it was during G&K interviews) they said it was a mistake because people preferred getting a bunch of civs in an expansion rather than in single DLC packs.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is there a Native American civ announced yet?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

loving Brazil and not Byzantium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

Is there a Native American civ announced yet?

The Aztecs are back as usual, but there's no Native American civ in the Civ IV sense.