Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I have a bunch of Chick tract updates, but for now I'll just leave this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Also, two ridiculous old anti-communist tracts are temporarily back in print. (This usually means that someone special ordered 10,000+, so they printed some extras for the website while the printer was set up for it, but it is not actually back in print).
Get them while you can!

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
"Revolutionist" is such a weird word to use, it almost feels like a bad translation from Hungarian or something

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Crosspost from Trump LOL thread:

I've been searching for a copy of "The Spirit and Purpose of the People of Praise," which is the 1971 handbook for the crazy cult Amy Coney Barrett belongs to. I am usually pretty good at tracking down obscure books in one form or another, but I cannot find this one anywhere. Even online references to it are rare. Not on Amazon or ebay either. Weird.

I did find two issues of their newsletter, "Vine & Branches":

https://fliphtml5.com/waov/cpst/basic

http://online.fliphtml5.com/kfrj/vejl/#p=1

Anyway, if anyone happens to come across any more People of Praise texts, please share. I will continue my search...

naem
May 29, 2011

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

cartoonist kayfabe did a really good episode on Jack Chick recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9qpCqd6LNQ

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

redreader posted:

What is it with these people who have to have lived some 'bad life' to be able to become super-christians?

I'm several months late to this conversation but I feel like this is such a common theme because it delivers the message that nobody is too far gone to convert, and drives home the power of conversion. They want you to think "wow, if even a criminal can be converted, then <bad thing I did> isn't so bad after all, I can convert too!" and "wow, he seems like such a nice Christian, and he used to be so bad! If I convert, I'll definitely be a nice Christian too!"

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm several months late to this conversation but I feel like this is such a common theme because it delivers the message that nobody is too far gone to convert, and drives home the power of conversion. They want you to think "wow, if even a criminal can be converted, then <bad thing I did> isn't so bad after all, I can convert too!" and "wow, he seems like such a nice Christian, and he used to be so bad! If I convert, I'll definitely be a nice Christian too!"

It's also a way for The Flock to feel really good about their religion: "Look at how great we are! We love and forgive all sinners (as long as they do everything we want them to)! We're so nonjudgmental!"

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

New Tract!

Tract #306 - I Beg Your Pardon! (2021)

This was released on 12/30/2020, but is dated 2021. It was written by David W. Daniels and illustrated by Fred Carter in his creepy psudo-Chick style.

It is a simple story about a prisoner named Gentleman Jim sent to the gallows after refusing to be pardoned.

You can read it here:

https://www.chick.com/products/tract?stk=1180

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 10, 2021

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Tract #35 - Missionaries Are Fools! (1974)

This is a really rare promotional tract noting the success that the commies have had in China, and suggesting that missionaries use the same tactics (such as handing out small tracts) to win people to Christ).

Here are two different covers:

I don't have an original copy of either version. The last time one of these went up on ebay, it sold for about $700, which is the far and away the most money I've ever seen someone pay for a Chick tract.

Happily, cheap reprints are readily available through several organizations. They look like this:

Some highlights:

It was revised and reprinted as a promo called The Secret Weapon in 1994. That one is probably even more rare than the original.

In other news, just yesterday I was sorting through a stack of tracts I recently bought for a few bucks, and I was overjoyed to discover that a copy of this exceedingly rare tract was included. Mine is the same as the top color version above. I'll post pictures when I get the time.

I've said it before, but one of the joys of collecting Chick tracts is that you can find rare gems for cheap if you know what to look for.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I love how the "argument from morality" carries with it the implicit admission that the only thing keeping the author from going on an absolute psychopathic rampage is that they take that "ancient mythological fairy book" seriously.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I swear I was expecting him to write that “evolutionists want to make everyone genderless”

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I love how the "argument from morality" carries with it the implicit admission that the only thing keeping the author from going on an absolute psychopathic rampage is that they take that "ancient mythological fairy book" seriously.

I've seen at least one big player in the creationism movement openly admit that, yes, without the literal fear of God's punishment, he'd go around raping and murdering to his heart's content.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

I've seen at least one big player in the creationism movement openly admit that, yes, without the literal fear of God's punishment, he'd go around raping and murdering to his heart's content.

It's such a wonderfully self-defeating argument. Another favorite is the "god of the gaps" that just commits them to having their deity retreat farther and farther as scientific knowledge advances. Really, if you want to play logical fallacy bingo then Creationists are pretty much the lowest hanging fruit.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I'm not particularly educated in morality but it seems super hosed up from an ethical standpoint to do that to a culture

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Agrinja posted:

I'm not particularly educated in morality but it seems super hosed up from an ethical standpoint to do that to a culture

They should have just given the Guyanans a box of staples.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Tract #307, coming soon!

I've received a bunch of Chick Publications emails since I last posted. I'll go through them and post anything especially horrible/funny.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You have to give Jack Chick credit for coming up with spam as a grift decades before the Internet was a thing.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Tract #307 - Where's My Letter (2021)

Nothing too exciting in this one. Ned is a former mailman on his deathbed, and an invisible angel keeps asking him for his "letter." Ned's grandson Nate deduces that the angel must be talking about the Bible, so he witnesses to grandpa, and the old codger gets saved in the nick of time.

Written by David Daniels, with art by Fred Carter in his weird, bug-eyed, neo-Chick style.

You can read it here:

https://chick.com/products/tract?stk=1181

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I feel like without the verse, this one raises quite a few questions that my "what the gently caress just happened" tract is already answering

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That’s the poo poo that always freaks me out. It’s like the Duggar poo poo. These folks arnt raised with an internal morality or Conscience. So when they snap, they snap bad.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Chick tracts make me feel glad to have grown up Catholic.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

kntfkr posted:

Chick tracts make me feel glad to have grown up Catholic.

Of course, Chick Tracts teach you that the Catholic Church is a Satanic conspiracy, Satan is cool

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Please do not spread such vile rumors.

Please remain where you are for the next, oh, five hours or so?

No reason.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I have a bunch of Chick tract updates, but for now I'll just leave this:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i like when religious nuts get super indignant and catty about other religious/theocratic poo poo from other faiths and poo poo. like mother fuckers really?

its May. Halloween is 5 months away.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like when religious nuts get super indignant and catty about other religious/theocratic poo poo from other faiths and poo poo. like mother fuckers really?

its May. Halloween is 5 months away.

THEY'RE ALWAYS COMING :freep:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Other christians just jealous about transubstantiation, meanwhile catholics thinking "why are you guys bothering without it" owns.

Especially the take that the catholics are using black magic somehow.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

THEY'RE ALWAYS COMING :freep:

i mean love Halloween and Christmas so that season is always great and i am 30. we finally live in a neigborhood with tons of kids so its awesome to decorate the house.

https://twitter.com/pengun101/status/1322607877677293568/photo/1

see.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I'm going to be posting HUNDREDS of books, movies, comics, weird ephemera, Chick tracts, and other miscellaneous oddities from my private collection. Hooray!

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 22, 2021

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Okay, if you weren't on Team Palestine before, this isn't a terrible argument for it.