Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
For warmer-weather waterproofing, I’ve had good experience with eVent and Neoshell, which breathe much better than most Gore products. (Some of the Gore Shakedry is comparable.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

What are my options (if any) for a soft shell rain jacket in the hottest, muggiest conditions?

Last winter I bought my first modernish softshell hooded jacket with a nylon shell, fleece interior. It's amazing; it keeps me dry in anything short of a down pour, it's lightweight but stops wind, it gives me an outer garment I don't have to be careful about getting dirty, and I always have plenty of pockets. I started it wearing it everywhere, every day.

The problem is that I live in the south and now it's starting to get downright hot. So, are there any recommendations I could get for a summer rain jacket with a hood? Even though it’s going to get very hot and muggy here, it’s also going to rain a lot and I know I’m going to miss having a rain jacket.

If its actually hot and muggy, there are only three real options, imo:

1) A material that's actually waterproof, but worn in a way that there is lots of airflow, i.e. a poncho, or, better still, an umbrella (which, if its practical, is really the god tier of warm/humid weather rain protection). These both suck in high winds, though.

2) A breathable material that lets water through, but offers some rain protection. A light, DWR treated windbreaker over a wool shirt, for example.

3) Don't wear a shirt or jacket at all, or just wear a light base layer that's not too uncomfortable when wet. Probably the best option if it's actually hot.

The "breathable" part of waterproof breathable hardshells fundamentally does not work in warm & humid conditions. Their entire working principle is to pass internal moisture via diffusion (mostly), which requires some combination of a water concentration gradient or a temperature gradient to even be possible according to the laws of thermodynamics. So if you have a warm, sweat-generating body on the inside, and a cold jacket on the outside with working DWR that keeps at least some parts of the surface relatively water free--they work OK! If you have a warm, sweaty body on the inside and warm, muggy air on the outside, they can't work, even in principle. Under such circumstances you might as well be wearing a garbage bag.

Also ask yourself why rain protection matters in such conditions. Usually, we care about getting wet because we don't want to get cold. If it's hot out, we aren't cold. So it really just becomes an issue of comfort. If it were me I'd take an umbrella or poncho in case it's pouring, maybe take a light windbreaker or LIGHT, unlined softshell if I decide it's worth it for moderate precip, and otherwise just wear my baselayer--ideally with an extra dry pair to change into.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
This looks like it could be a steal.

https://www.costco.com/cascade-mountain-tech-inflatable-sleeping-pad-with-pillow.product.100497482.html

MSRP $50
Amazon $41.82 ATM,
Costco selling for $39.99, and going on sale for an additional $8 on top of that starting from the 15th, as noted here: https://www.costco.com/online-offers.html

I have no feedback on the brand itself, but Costco + cheap is about as close as you can get to "why the hell not" as you can get.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This looks like it could be a steal.

https://www.costco.com/cascade-mountain-tech-inflatable-sleeping-pad-with-pillow.product.100497482.html

MSRP $50
Amazon $41.82 ATM,
Costco selling for $39.99, and going on sale for an additional $8 on top of that starting from the 15th, as noted here: https://www.costco.com/online-offers.html

I have no feedback on the brand itself, but Costco + cheap is about as close as you can get to "why the hell not" as you can get.

Their carbon fiber hiking poles are probably the best value poles you can find.
Looks like a Klymit OEM to me. Not insulated however.

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Back to Osprey chat for a moment: I have two packs that I'm extremely happy with regarding fit and features, a Daylite+ and a Talon 22, but I'm looking for an actual 1-3 day pack. I was thinking an Atmos AG 65 or an Aether AG 60, but I'm not really sure what the difference is, beyond slightly larger stated weight range with the Aether. Any recommendations either way?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Here you go!

https://expertworldtravel.com/osprey-atmos-vs-aether-comparison/

I’m assuming you live somewhere where trying them on won’t happen, which stinks. I ended up loving the Volt 60 fit and my wallet appreciated the lower cost.

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Rolo posted:

Here you go!

I’m assuming you live somewhere where trying them on won’t happen, which stinks. I ended up loving the Volt 60 fit and my wallet appreciated the lower cost.

Awesome, thanks, that's really helpful! I'm leaning Atmos, but honestly I think the issue is not being able to see them in person. I have a local REI, but since the happening happened we can't check them out in-store. I'm just trying to get ready to get outside again, preferably for a while.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

My vote work be whichever has the side/front pocket that lets you access without going through the lid/brain.

If you do know exactly what you want, intend to buy new online and know you wont return, there are some euro retailers (ebay storefronts for the UK, trekinn for Spain) that will come in $40-50+ cheaper than you'll find in the US. I've seen $80. The European versions of the Osprey packs usually come with the rain cover that is ommited from the US versions, too. I dunno why.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

Here you go!

The Volt is a solid and reliable pack, and 60L is a good size that’ll give you plenty of flexibility. It’s easy to adjust torso sizing as well.

I think DCF packs are the way to go, but a comparable pack would be 50% expensive than the volt or similar REI pack, so maybe not the right place to start. You’ll get many years of good service from a good quality pack like the volt — definitely worth spending that much to start.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah wow I just noticed the Volt 60 is back up to 200 online. I paid like 119 for mine during a sale of some kind, I think maybe they were discontinuing the color I got. The amount of bag I got for that price was :discourse:

Rolo fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 14, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I made the mistake of checking on my dividend and now I have to spend it as soon as possible.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Rolo posted:

I made the mistake of checking on my dividend and now I have to spend it as soon as possible.

big brain move:
https://www.rei.com/product/798536/coghlans-toilet-paper-package-of-2

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Makes more sense than the ice tool I’m looking at.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

ice tool is a fine post apocalypse weapon

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
50% sale on all REI clothing and jackets today, fyi

E: REI outlet

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 22, 2020

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Family is looking to get me an Inreach for a gift. I'm leaning towards the Mini instead of the Explorer+ as I just want it to occasionally ping that I'm alive and for an SOS device. Not sure I'll need much more functionality then that.

Is there a compelling reason to spend $50 more on the bigger one?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Would one of those handheld Baofeng radios work for emergency contact when out of cell phone range? Or do you need one of those GPS beacons or satellite phones?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Could work, but there needs to be someone listening on the other end. Also, you need a license.

My neighbor has a Garmin InReach GPS that relays text messages to satellite, but those require a subscription, either M2M or yearly.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 11, 2020

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I opted for the mini because it can tether to the smartphone you’re already carrying, and it’s tiny. The only pain is the somewhat expensive subscription model. But you can pause it when you’re under stay-at-home orders you won’t be heading into the backcountry for a while.

I haven’t had mine activated since last summer.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Could work, but there needs to be someone listening on the other end. Also, you need a license.

You don’t need a license for emergency communications. But, yeah, I wouldn’t pick one up over a spot/inreach/whatever either.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 11, 2020

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'd rather not carry my phone, but realistically I will and pairing it with the inReach isn't a big deal. Do you folks carry a power pack for charging on longer trips?

FogHelmut posted:

Would one of those handheld Baofeng radios work for emergency contact when out of cell phone range? Or do you need one of those GPS beacons or satellite phones?

I've got a Baofeng and performance is pretty spotty in any sort of terrain. Though to be honest to the Baofeng, I think any radio of that wattage and frequency would have the same issues.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I lug a battery, a ~8000mAh unit is enough to keep two phones alive for a two night trip. Just make sure to put them in airplane mode to prevent the phone murdering itself trying to find a signal.

(specifically, we use the goalzero venture 30 but any battery will be fine)

It's probably smarter to just power the phone down except for the occasion where you need GPS or take a picture, but I don't bother.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Yooper posted:

I'd rather not carry my phone, but realistically I will and pairing it with the inReach isn't a big deal. Do you folks carry a power pack for charging on longer trips?

you can use the mini without a phone, but if you want to enter text on the device it is an annoying chore since you have to scroll the alphabet letter by letter. if you just want tracking and an SOS button then you don't need the phone. i typically don't need a power pack for a 2-3 day trip but it's part of the kit i always carry anyway. also, the draw on the battery varies a lot depending on how often you set it to log tracking points (10min/30min/1hr)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

REI Anniversary Sale catalog is up. Dates are May 15-25th. Normal 20% off outlet and regular price coupons will be distributed.

https://catalogs.rei.com/Anniversary-Sale

Yooper, the Explorer+ will be $100 off during this sale which makes it the same price as the mini.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

FCKGW posted:

REI Anniversary Sale catalog is up. Dates are May 15-25th. Normal 20% off outlet and regular price coupons will be distributed.

Yooper, the Explorer+ will be $100 off during this sale which makes it the same price as the mini.

That's awesome, thanks dude!

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

The mini is a great size for any activity where you’ll need to carry it. Always take it on my backcountry trips.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

FCKGW posted:

:rip: dividend :rip:

Also REI is apparently starting curbside pickup for retail locations again.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

questions for quilt-users: how does it work when cowboy camping? i've been getting more into sleeping without a shelter lately, still using a mummy bag, but a good quilt to replace the aging bag has been my next big-ticket consideration for some time now. are bugs an issue? is a groundcloth mandatory? i typically just throw the z-rest right on the ground unless things are really gross or wet.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Chard posted:

questions for quilt-users: how does it work when cowboy camping? i've been getting more into sleeping without a shelter lately, still using a mummy bag, but a good quilt to replace the aging bag has been my next big-ticket consideration for some time now. are bugs an issue? is a groundcloth mandatory? i typically just throw the z-rest right on the ground unless things are really gross or wet.

When I go to ground, I just have a tyvek sheet, and I’ll toss my pad on that and quilt like a blanket. If bugs are a concern, a bivy bag might be good. My e-vent snowside bivy is great and weighs under a pound. Helps keep things cleaner too.

Usually I’m in a hammock though, which has a bugnet built in

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
All Prana shorts are on sale for this REI event and I have to plug them because they’re the most comfortable shorts I’ve ever owned.

Hiking, camping, bicycling, being in public, it’s all good.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

Rolo posted:

All Prana shorts are on sale for this REI event and I have to plug them because they’re the most comfortable shorts I’ve ever owned.

Hiking, camping, bicycling, being in public, it’s all good.

These and a random pair of Vuori shorts I got from one of the REI garage sales have been my fave REI purchases.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And if you're not a shorts type, the Prana pants are great too. Good for hikes, good for yard work, and in a pinch even good for looking nice for dinner.

I don't know if they're in the sale, just speaking in general terms. :angel:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
They go on sale pretty often. I’m a fan of their Brion pant because it doesn’t have any zippers or extra pockets. Only problem is the colors are never what they look like online. I have a pair that are mustard yellow. Makes sense that they were on clearance.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

They go on sale pretty often. I’m a fan of their Brion pant because it doesn’t have any zippers or extra pockets. Only problem is the colors are never what they look like online. I have a pair that are mustard yellow. Makes sense that they were on clearance.

I have 4 pairs of Brions. I wear them all day every day. Comfy, dry fast af, and seem pretty durable. The pair I have had the longest still holds up. Plus people say my bum looks nice in them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zion is my jam. I need a zipper pocket (all pockets zippered would be best but I am greedy) and the integrated belt is nice when they start to sag on a long hike.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Rolo posted:

I'm pretty sure I have these exact same pants. They are indeed good for hiking but I find the fabric oddly thin

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

My one and only complaint with my brion and Zion pants and shorts is that the hair from my two Australian shepherds sticks to that material like none other.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Tsyni posted:

I have 4 pairs of Brions. I wear them all day every day. Comfy, dry fast af, and seem pretty durable. The pair I have had the longest still holds up. Plus people say my bum looks nice in them.

These, indeed, are the best pants. Wearing them right now (and every day since I stopped needing to wear a suit to work).

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I think it's time I give these Brions a try, they sound great for the PNW weather here.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Is there a ~$100 hydration pack that won't make me look like I'm wearing a tiny child's backpack? I'm 6'4" and around 325lbs and they all seem so tiny and the sternum strap always seems to be close to choking me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Never apologize for those Prana shorts, I have literally sought out and purchased them for years as my go-to all-purpose shorts.