Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Right, basically in BD and BS I could just turn off random encounters if I didn't want to fight them. If I wanted to grind I could switch them up to 200% and run in circles.

Contrast to BD2 where to avoid encounters I need to use a consumable and then manually dodge around them, to the point that in some areas encounters become unavoidable because the corridors are too tight.

And contrast grinding to BD2 where either you have to be able to oneshot world bosses and then enter and leave an area to refight them or again, you have to use a consumable and then run around the world trying to find the next enemy to kill.

I'm not asking for a return to the heyday of random encounters, but equally as things stand in BD2, enemies are densely packed, penalise you for running into them wrong and require money to avoid meaningfully.

If we compare to a comparable modern RPG that uses a similar system, like the Tales series, again BD2 is pretty lacking because the dungeon design it has is so claustrophobic relatively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Even though Bravely Second is a mess, I thought it was a fun mess because of how silly and absurd the jobs are.

Breaking the game in BD2 just...wasn't very fun? Almost everything in the game is very vanilla and by-the-books. By the time any fun stuff actually becomes useful, you've already beaten the game and the remaining bosses.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Pollyanna posted:

God, the more I think about BD2's story, the more I'm disappointed. I could write an absolute shitload of words, but I dunno if anyone else is interested in talking about it. :v:

If you won't, I will! Beforehand though, I just want to restate what I said before and others have since: I spent way too many hours in this game to call it a bad game. I bounced hard off Octopath Traveler and didn't get close to finishing it, for example. So for whatever that's worth. I just think it's interesting to think about just what happened to this game, and how to not do it. Maybe it's the game designer in me, who knows. Complete full game spoilers below.

In my mind the biggest problem is the raw number of unfinished, undercooked ideas. There are lots of plot threads that start promising and seem to be leading you somewhere interesting, but then just... don't. This is especially the case later on in the game, with the biggest issue of them all being Edna; if some of the other storylines are undercooked, Edna's story is loving raw. She's practically nothing. Did you notice she doesn't actually do anything in the game itself? We're told she runs away from Mag Mell with the asterisks, but all that happens before the game begins, and we're only ever told about it. Then she stands around in some cutscenes with Adam, then shows up at Musa where you can fight her if you like... or leave her to turn into a statue for unexplained reasons, and no one gives a poo poo about what just happened. Nobody! Not Adelle, not the fairy queen, nobody. And she's supposed to be the mastermind behind everything that happened? What happened? Why? You know, the characters outright ask Edna why, and the best reason she can give is "it was really easy to manipulate humans into loving everything up, so I have to destroy them so they don't gently caress everything up". Her motivations make no goddamn sense.

Okay, so let's imagine she's being manipulated by the Night's Nexus, as the party believes. This just raises further questions, because the Night's Nexus is another under-explained piece of nothing. Apparently some woman drank from the knowledge-pool the fairies have in their basement and... went mad or something? Why? Why does the Nexus want to destroy everything? Why does it keep yammering on about never forgiving... forgiving who? Humans? Fairies? For what, exactly? None of this is ever explained or elaborated on, so for all purposes the Nexus is just an angry space flea out of nowhere. It's a sealed monster that lives in the fairies' basement, or maybe in Musa, or maybe on a misty island somewhere. None of the villains make any sense. Not the Nexus, not Edna, not even Adam - at best he seems to want to conquer the world basically for shits and giggles.

There are many more plotlines of varying degrees of incompleteness. For starters, basically all the later villains - Vigintio, Lonsdale and Marla - have storylines that end before they've barely begun. There are hints at stories - Marla is the daughter of someone who was mistreated by the Savalon nobles, Vigintio was, uh, some crazy guy I guess? And Lonsdale made a promise to Adam's father and for some reason seems to think that means he must remain loyal to Adam despite clearly thinking he's in the wrong. But these stories don't go anywhere, they're unfinished. And the end result is just feeling confused and unsatisfied. Earlier villains are only somewhat better. Bernard and Anihal have a weird dynamic going on where it seems like Bernard used to be a good guy in the past and then turned into an abusive rear end in a top hat for... no real reason we're ever shown. He just did. We never really get a good idea of what the hell made Folie do what she did, only that she seems to have had a vaguely alluded to lovely childhood that... made her go crazy, I guess? How old is she, anyway?

Some people have suggested that all these people went mad with power after they got their asterisks, and that they are to blame. After all, that's why Edna hands them out, ostensibly. But there are too many glaring exceptions that this doesn't make much sense; Elvis, Martha, Anihal, Lonsdale and whatever the Salvemaker guy's name was all seemed to suffer no ill effects from theirs. The Wiswald crew were being mind-controlled, nothing to do with the asterisks, and Castor had plenty of reasons to do what he did before ever getting his hands on his. But if the asterisks had nothing to do with it, then we are left with no explanation at all why certain villains like Adam and the Halcyonian prime minister did what they did.

I also don't understand what the point of the whole fairy thing is. We're told fairies and humans went through some horrible schism in the past that left them on very bad terms, but we never find out why. And nobody in the world outside of ice town seems to care, anyway. Hell, when you show up in Mag Mell, it takes about 5 seconds to convince them to let you in anyway, even though they explicitly despise Adelle for leaving the way she did. None of it is explained; instead we rush straight to the basement to resurrect a weird mummy from their pool of magical memory-ade so we can slay it again. Why is that thing there, anyway? Or is it at Musa? I just don't understand the Night's Nexus at all, or how any of the fairy nonsense connects with the rest of the story.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

FZeroRacer posted:

Even though Bravely Second is a mess, I thought it was a fun mess because of how silly and absurd the jobs are.

Breaking the game in BD2 just...wasn't very fun? Almost everything in the game is very vanilla and by-the-books. By the time any fun stuff actually becomes useful, you've already beaten the game and the remaining bosses.

Oh god, yes. I remember BD1's endgame being a real terror to get through and feeling like I was fighting for my life. BD2's endgame is GS GS GS GS roll credits.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I spent way too many hours in this game to call it a bad game.

If you won’t, I will!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

the raw number of unfinished, undercooked ideas

Funny thing about this: my post was originally going to be "Nothing interesting happens in Bravely Default 2's story because it is incomplete." I chose to delve into what was missing, but it's basically the same thing.

A story is about discovering something and what it does. You can't discover anything and you can't have a story if nothing happens! Edna doesn't have a story! Edna has a static existence! Edna has a backstory and then she fucks off and dies! The same thing happens to Vigintio! The same thing happens to Marla! The same thing happens to Adam! The same thing happens to the Night's Nexus! The same thing happens to this game!

Look, we have to contend with some inalienable truths:

- The Job system is poorly balanced
- The equipment and encounter system are clunky and poorly thought out
- Dungeons are large, empty mazes with no engaging features
- The story makes no attempt to analyze/iterate upon itself and implement any sort of twist
- The characters have almost no arcs or development
- The game is poorly optimized and has framerate issues, loading, and stuttering (in handheld mode at least)
- The final dungeon is a copy-paste placeholder at best
- The lead up to the final boss comes out of nowhere and has no relation to anything else at all

You can't tell me you look at that list of issues and the first thing that pops into your head isn't, "is this game actually finished?". BD2 was, clearly, rushed.

I swear, the only thing that's complete in this game is the soundtrack.

quote:

I also don't understand what the point of the whole fairy thing is.

"BD1 had fairies gotta have fairies in BD2 no I don't wanna do the work to integrate that concept just put it in, gently caress you do it."

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 27, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pollyanna posted:

:psyduck: Octopath sold that well? I couldn't get into it at all.

The story's whatever but the art style and music are top-notch. Plus the combat's fun and lets you just break harder fights, like unlocking advanced jobs when your characters are still in the mid 30s. The different character mechanics are cool and if they'd make an Octopath 2 with a larger scope and budget it'd be really interesting and maybe they'd have the resources to make each character's storyline change depending on your party composition but I don't think people understand just how much work that would entail even if it's "only" some side-comments about X or Y person/thing/event.

Again, assuming Project Triangle doesn't just go full Tactics Ogre, which would be perfectly acceptable to me.

raditts posted:

Like I said, it was decent enough to keep me playing and enjoying it for 80 hours (which is about 75 more hours than I could stand with Octopath, for instance) but the flaws are pretty hard to ignore even if you like it.

BD2 is a flawed but ultimately fun RPG. I don't think I've ever played another RPG where attack magic was just so bad for so much of the game.

Pollyanna posted:

It's been years since I played BD1 and BS and I explicitly ignored everything about the game as soon as I heard that it was announced and came in knowing absolutely nothing and assuming absolutely nothing except that I was going to be playing a Bravely Default game and I was still let down.

You don't have to have high expectations to be disappointed.

Counterpoint: You went in expecting a BD game therefore you did have high expectations unless you think poorly of BD1. :eng101:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
They honestly give you plenty of details about the Night's Nexus.

It's a former princess of Musa who was friendly with the fairies and drank from the spring of knowledge, but was also secretly chugging the spring of knowledge and making her own knowledge-chugging asterisk. This was all just a bit of a problem until she came upon the knowledge labelled "how to invoke dark forces and become Libr-Rarian, the Ever-Living" at which point she turned into a lich and her hunger for knowledge went from 'reading my friends' diaries' and into 'my boyfriend's brain was delicious'.

At this point she decided the best thing she could do would be to consume everything, everywhere, so that all existence would merely be in her memory, and everybody else decided "wow, let's just lock you in the Restricted Books section forever and ever." This is why she's always going on about nothing being forgotten or forgiven... it's a reference to both her grudge and her obsession with consuming all knowledge.

This is also why fairies dislike humans, because one human bogarted all the smart water once. This is explicitly the reason and the only reason. It's not a very good reason, but hey!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Octopath Traveler sold 1.5m units as of Dec 31st, 2020 but Nintendo only releases physical sales information so it’s possible it sold another million digitally. Once you get all the characters and can start to mix and match jobs it gets really good, you can find some totally bonkers combos. Then you get the advanced jobs and it gets even better. It sucks that the interactions between characters were just pub chats but the stories of the individual characters are neat and the world building is good. There are little bits and pieces and hints in every story that eventually lead up to the true final boss and that stuff was really interesting. I mentioned this before but my hope for the sequel is for better story integration.

The story in this game is straightforward and I don’t particularly like the way each area is segmented and basically exists on its own but the story isn’t bad. The fake-out “bad” endings are stupid but overall it’s a good game. BD was great and BS was boring and I never finished it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rand Brittain posted:

They honestly give you plenty of details about the Night's Nexus.

It's a former princess of Musa who was friendly with the fairies and drank from the spring of knowledge, but was also secretly chugging the spring of knowledge and making her own knowledge-chugging asterisk. This was all just a bit of a problem until she came upon the knowledge labelled "how to invoke dark forces and become Libr-Rarian, the Ever-Living" at which point she turned into a lich and her hunger for knowledge went from 'reading my friends' diaries' and into 'my boyfriend's brain was delicious'.

At this point she decided the best thing she could do would be to consume everything, everywhere, so that all existence would merely be in her memory, and everybody else decided "wow, let's just lock you in the Restricted Books section forever and ever." This is why she's always going on about nothing being forgotten or forgiven... it's a reference to both her grudge and her obsession with consuming all knowledge.

This is also why fairies dislike humans, because one human bogarted all the smart water once. This is explicitly the reason and the only reason. It's not a very good reason, but hey!

That’s backstory, which is “inactive” at the point the reader/player comes into the mix, and doesn’t meaningfully affect the story’s direction or developments.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Natural 20 posted:

Right, basically in BD and BS I could just turn off random encounters if I didn't want to fight them. If I wanted to grind I could switch them up to 200% and run in circles.

Contrast to BD2 where to avoid encounters I need to use a consumable and then manually dodge around them, to the point that in some areas encounters become unavoidable because the corridors are too tight.

And contrast grinding to BD2 where either you have to be able to oneshot world bosses and then enter and leave an area to refight them or again, you have to use a consumable and then run around the world trying to find the next enemy to kill.

I'm not asking for a return to the heyday of random encounters, but equally as things stand in BD2, enemies are densely packed, penalise you for running into them wrong and require money to avoid meaningfully.

If we compare to a comparable modern RPG that uses a similar system, like the Tales series, again BD2 is pretty lacking because the dungeon design it has is so claustrophobic relatively.

I've literally never had to avoid an encounter in bravely default 2 because they've all run away since the first area

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Finally finished the game. tl;dr: Just go replay Bravely Default 1 instead.

I think I may have mentioned in an earlier post how I started replaying BD1 while playing BD2 and somehow ended up becoming more immersed in the story of this game I've already played than the new one.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I've literally never had to avoid an encounter in bravely default 2 because they've all run away since the first area

Good job grinding I guess?

Ytlaya posted:

I think I may have mentioned in an earlier post how I started replaying BD1 while playing BD2 and somehow ended up becoming more immersed in the story of this game I've already played than the new one.

Yeah, I’m reading up on the game and its contents as a refresher and ugh it was so good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pollyanna posted:

Good job grinding I guess?

Yeah, I’m reading up on the game and its contents as a refresher and ugh it was so good.

Well yeah if I'm not going to get everybody to level 12 in every job what's the point

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Pollyanna posted:

That’s backstory, which is “inactive” at the point the reader/player comes into the mix, and doesn’t meaningfully affect the story’s direction or developments.

But it does answer the exact questions the other person brought up.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Clarste posted:

But it does answer the exact questions the other person brought up.

Nope, nothing positive about the game allowed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ah, got it, thought that was a response to me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Natural 20 posted:

Maybe it's just that grinding is utterly unnecessary in all of these games and the idea of intentionally running around in circles is absurd to me, but I feel like these particular complaints, while technically correct (the best kind of correct!) it toes the line into nitpickery if you're playing the game for any reason other than "grinding until the heat death of the universe", and if you are doing that, then like someone else said, it's not an issue because the monsters are all running away from you anyway.

I'll say for myself that as for ward lights, not only did I have absolutely no problem with accidentally running into battles the few times I used them (the
reason I used them so rarely being that enemies are incredibly easy to juke and most of them ended up running away from me by default just from the level gains of normal play and doing sidequests) but they're also so cheap and plentiful that stocking up to 99 barely dents your wallet by the time you hit chapter 1.

I'll acknowledge that not everyone's play experience might be the same as mine (although I have no idea how that could be possible unless you avoid almost all non-boss fights maybe) and people have different tastes, but as far as this bit in particular goes, I'd personally much rather have it like this than how it was in BD1. (This is literally the only thing though, mind you, literally everything else mentioned on this page are things I agree with and mentioned in my own post a few pages back)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Again I'm not sure I'd really take opinions of someone who couldn't even engage with the games core combat mechanics word as gospel for the quality of the game.

Polly's jumped between "This game is too easy" and "Oh god the only way to possibly beat this boss is the spam this one move" too much for me to really listen to their design complaints.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Hmm so a straightforward way of hitting the damage cap is just using ultima sword ability with the hp/mp swap passive from the level 15 red mage.

Basically, damage = all hp x 10
I read there's an ability from the final job that then let's you apply ultima sword to all enemies.

That means one character can nuke pretty much any enemy in the game if it can full heal right after.

The info I read suggested salve master to heal, but that limits you to two attacks. Is there another way to recover your health that would let you get in 3 attacks to deal 300k damage to enemies and pretty much kill everything in one go?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Again I'm not sure I'd really take opinions of someone who couldn't even engage with the games core combat mechanics word as gospel for the quality of the game.

Polly's jumped between "This game is too easy" and "Oh god the only way to possibly beat this boss is the spam this one move" too much for me to really listen to their design complaints.

Uh, maybe it’s been like that because of how unevenly balanced it is.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Finished the game a few days ago. I still don't know what to think about it. The game feels unfinished in a really strange way. Stuff like Dungeon Master only applying in two dungeons (optional dungeons too), the quest system makes no sense (quests are numbered but there's not a quest log???), the asterisk refights don't have cool interactions between the asterisk holders like they did in BD1, no one appears to care where Seth comes from (even Seth himself), job balance is all over the place, etc.

Now that I think about it, it feels unfinished but not in the "we are developing this until the very last minute and hoping we make it" way, but in the "we won't have time to develop this feature, so just get it to a workable state and then move on to the critical path items so we can ship in time". I wonder how much was the pandemic slowing down productivity and their deadline being set in stone.

Really enjoyed my time with it but I don't think I would recommend it to anyone, at least not at full price. That is about where I ended up with Octopath as well. I'm glad there are still teams experimenting with the old-school JRPG formula, but it's really starting to look like BD1 was just lightning in a bottle.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My impression of Godspeed Strike and the Beastmaster passive was that the developers deliberately gave players the option to just bulldoze the game if they didn't want to actually engage with the game, in way of heading off complaints that "This game is impossible!!" from players who couldn't or didn't want to understand the mechanics. This is also why these two things show up so early in the game.

I do agree that BD2 felt half-baked.

As for Octopath Traveler, I loved the poo poo out of it. I think Boost/Break was in some ways better implemented than BD2's Brave/Default (even if Boost ends up not having all that much depth to it), and being able to interrupt enemies felt a lot more meaningful than just getting a damage boost from hitting their weakness. The 8 travelers' stories have this melancholic, lonely feel to them, even as they travel with others, and I really enjoyed trying to connect all the pieces together to figure out the underlying mystery. I think it helped a lot that I went into Octopath with zero idea of what to expect and didn't spoil myself on anything about it, just engaged with the game as fresh as possible trying to figure out what was making the game tick.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 28, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

My impression of Godspeed Strike and the Beastmaster passive was that the developers deliberately gave players the option to just bulldoze the game if they didn't want to actually engage with the game, in way of heading off complaints that "This game is impossible!!" from players who couldn't or didn't want to understand the mechanics. This is also why these two things show up so early in the game.

I do not ascribe nearly as much intentionality to the developers, given how everything else turned out.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Clarste posted:

I do not ascribe nearly as much intentionality to the developers, given how everything else turned out.

I think it's fairly clear that BD2 was developed chapter-by-chapter but ymmv.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pollyanna posted:

Uh, maybe it’s been like that because of how unevenly balanced it is.

BD1 was pretty imbalanced as well. To say nothing of FF5, the game people trip over themselves to worship.

It's probably easier to find RPGs that don't have broken-as-hell combinations in them. Especially SE RPGs.

SKULL.GIF posted:

As for Octopath Traveler, I loved the poo poo out of it. I think Boost/Break was in some ways better implemented than BD2's Brave/Default (even if Boost ends up not having all that much depth to it), and being able to interrupt enemies felt a lot more meaningful than just getting a damage boost from hitting their weakness. The 8 travelers' stories have this melancholic, lonely feel to them, even as they travel with others, and I really enjoyed trying to connect all the pieces together to figure out the underlying mystery. I think it helped a lot that I went into Octopath with zero idea of what to expect and didn't spoil myself on anything about it, just engaged with the game as fresh as possible trying to figure out what was making the game tick.

I like that a couple of fights in Octopath had very clear "if you haven't figured out how to break enemies properly, you're hosed" fights like Warmaster.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 28, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

BD1 was pretty imbalanced as well. To say nothing of FF5, the game people trip over themselves to worship.

It's probably easier to find RPGs that don't have broken-as-hell combinations in them. Especially SE RPGs.

The problem isn't broken-as-hell combinations and more that a lot of individual moves (ie: Godspeed Strike) are broken by default, without even needing a combination, whereas magic will always suck by comparison no matter what you do. I wish the problem were too many broken combinations, those are at least fun.

Honestly I think a lot of it comes down to simply how much they value the costs of different abilities. They greatly overestimated how much of a restriction a high MP cost on a physical move would be, while magic that costs about the same is far weaker. And basically anything with an HP cost is practically free to cast yet they treat it like it's super expensive.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 28, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Evil Fluffy posted:

I like that a couple of fights in Octopath had very clear "if you haven't figured out how to break enemies properly, you're hosed" fights like Warmaster.

I fought Winnehild *very early* and absolutely loved trying to solve that fight with massive sandbagging and "What the gently caress do I even do?!". It was kind of a disappointment that very few other fights were like this, aside from Managarmr and the final boss.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I thought the encounter design was awful because I was playing on Hard Mode, so I was far under level for most areas (I think around 10 or so levels?) but still destroying bosses and regular enemies. So most of the time was spent trying to run away from enemies on the field because I didn't want (nor need to) fight them/grind and a lot of areas are small, thin corridors where you can get forced into encounters.

And as Clarste said, the game practically hands you the broken moves on a platter. Everything else I tried to do or break was just inferior to those options the game handed me.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
BD1 had broken combos like BD2, but it felt more... unique. Yes there was cheese tactics but some optional bosses punished you heavily for it and you had to adjust your build very specifically for certain bosses. It treated the job system as a puzzle, which in turn makes it feel more rewarding.

BD2 really don't have these kinds of bosses or challenge. The dominant strategy just works... every boss no matter what. The refights were close, but with their gain BP every move counter, it quickly penalizes you for trying interesting things.

But really BD2 suffers because no one says Mggrrgrr.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

raditts posted:

I think the encounter design is one of the few things that is unambiguously superior in BD2. When you need to have a game setting to decrease or remove enemy encounter rate, that seems to me like a clear admission that it's a system that needs replacing. I can't think of a single situation where I would ever find myself saying "I wish this game would smash cut me into a battle sequence against my will more frequently"

I'd argue that Ninefold Flurry is more powerful, I used it with a swordmaster dual wield / beast sub combo on a lark was shocked at how it melted the final boss. But you don't have access to that until nearly the end of the game so GSS is your go to for the vast majority of your play time.

Ninefold Flurry is NUTS. It hits 9 times so it breaks damage cap, it hits 9 times so you're likely to crit a bunch in there (And can equip stuff like Crit Amp to hit for more), and it just does a lot of damage. I think by the end of the game Godspeed Strike was doing close to 9999 + followup but 9fold on Adelle was doing like.... 30k a hit? Plus Swordmaster level 12 passive with dual wield lets them sub Freelancer for a massive stat bonus so you can mimic the 99 MP skill 3 times and do like... 120k-150k for 99 MP

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ninefold Flurry is NUTS. It hits 9 times so it breaks damage cap, it hits 9 times so you're likely to crit a bunch in there (And can equip stuff like Crit Amp to hit for more), and it just does a lot of damage. I think by the end of the game Godspeed Strike was doing close to 9999 + followup but 9fold on Adelle was doing like.... 30k a hit? Plus Swordmaster level 12 passive with dual wield lets them sub Freelancer for a massive stat bonus so you can mimic the 99 MP skill 3 times and do like... 120k-150k for 99 MP

I've just unlocked it, but the hp/mp swap level 15 skill from the red mage plus the level 13 skill (ultima sword) from the hell blade job lets you hit the full damage cap of 99,999 with hp up around the 8000 level.

Sticking on the final jobs's passive of applying a skill to all enemies means that (speculatively) you can hit every enemy in a single turn for ~800,000 damage.

It's still thwarted by some of the pain in the arse boss counter abilities though, but the only thing i can see as an issue with it is that you get the abilities from beating the bosses you'd want the abilities for so there's not much use for it once you have the setup.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

FZeroRacer posted:

I thought the encounter design was awful because I was playing on Hard Mode, so I was far under level for most areas (I think around 10 or so levels?) but still destroying bosses and regular enemies. So most of the time was spent trying to run away from enemies on the field because I didn't want (nor need to) fight them/grind and a lot of areas are small, thin corridors where you can get forced into encounters.

And as Clarste said, the game practically hands you the broken moves on a platter. Everything else I tried to do or break was just inferior to those options the game handed me.

I played on hard mode too and honestly after awhile I'd just fight enough enemies in a dungeon to get data on all of them, then break out the ward lights since it's easy to dodge 99% of enemies in a dungeon with that.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yea FF5 has a bunch of intricate ways to break the game but also you can just, say, spam GP Toss and win every boss fight easily.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I feel like Final Fantasy V was at least more balanced insofar as the only really useless job was... what, Berserker? I feel like there's a lot more lackluster stuff here, at least in comparison to the Good Stuff.

In comparison to the previous two games I think that BDII's brokenness is more apparent because it's really easy to grind JP for high-end abilities because of the JP curve, as well as Surpassing Power. First two games had a damage limit of 9999 outside of Bravely Second, which wasn't quite readily available, while here there's nothing stopping you from slamming the bosses with quintuple-digit damage once you get to the point that it's possible.

Clarste posted:

Honestly I think a lot of it comes down to simply how much they value the costs of different abilities. They greatly overestimated how much of a restriction a high MP cost on a physical move would be, while magic that costs about the same is far weaker. And basically anything with an HP cost is practically free to cast yet they treat it like it's super expensive.

I mean, HP% cost skills (which are all of them without HP/MP Convertor, I believe?) can get in the way of Braveing. (...Except the game punishes you for Braving early on with counters and when you can Brave more freely you can circumvent the HP costs.)

It's definitely weird that they seem to use costs as a balancing mechanic but then just... give you ways to completely circumvent the costs.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Why do people dislike Bravely Second so much? Enough that Bravely Default 2's director had to apologize apparently?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I'm trying to decide whether farming the asterisk portal bosses for giant JP orbs is quicker than farming the snake world map boss.

On the one hand a single giant jp orb with both growth eggs, jp up and jp up & up will give you 11,100 exp and take a job from level 1 to level 14 (leaving just 1,200 exp required to max), however you need a whole bunch of them to be used across each character and, from what i can see the asterisk bosses only drop them sometimes.

I can kill em all in one turn so it feels like it might be faster, but I still have to leave their zone, tent up and return every time so it might just feel faster.

Do any of the portal fights have a more consistent drop rate for the giant jp orbs?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

raditts posted:

Maybe it's just that grinding is utterly unnecessary in all of these games and the idea of intentionally running around in circles is absurd to me, but I feel like these particular complaints, while technically correct (the best kind of correct!) it toes the line into nitpickery if you're playing the game for any reason other than "grinding until the heat death of the universe", and if you are doing that, then like someone else said, it's not an issue because the monsters are all running away from you anyway.

I'll say for myself that as for ward lights, not only did I have absolutely no problem with accidentally running into battles the few times I used them (the
reason I used them so rarely being that enemies are incredibly easy to juke and most of them ended up running away from me by default just from the level gains of normal play and doing sidequests) but they're also so cheap and plentiful that stocking up to 99 barely dents your wallet by the time you hit chapter 1.

I'll acknowledge that not everyone's play experience might be the same as mine (although I have no idea how that could be possible unless you avoid almost all non-boss fights maybe) and people have different tastes, but as far as this bit in particular goes, I'd personally much rather have it like this than how it was in BD1. (This is literally the only thing though, mind you, literally everything else mentioned on this page are things I agree with and mentioned in my own post a few pages back)

So to be clear, I didn't grind. I'm just establishing that if you do grind then the Default 1 system is faster and better for contrast. Grinding shouldn't ideally be in the game to begin with, but if it's there it should be as mindless as it physically can be so you can watch Netflix or something while you get it done.

The difference in our experience comes from the fact that I played on hard, which again, throttles your experience gain. That means that you're always underleveled in every dungeon and enemies will tear towards you every time making them impossible to dodge without ward light.

In any case the contrast here is between the encounter slider, where I don't fight enemies if I don't want to against having to use a consumable and dodge around enemies, which is fine but strictly worse than the system I have complete control over.

Tired Moritz posted:

Why do people dislike Bravely Second so much? Enough that Bravely Default 2's director had to apologize apparently?

I believe first release of Bravely Second in Japan only had a bunch of problems with it that were fixed in the Western release. So for example, to get the good ending to all the sidequests you had to play through the full game twice, whereas in the west you can get all the good endings on one playthrough.

Second was widely liked in the west and reviewed and sold well. Honestly the apology was really bizarre in that context. I think that misunderstanding shows in this game because they threw out a bunch of helpful stuff that came with second, like Loadouts, because they wanted to diverge from it.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
I rarely grinded and not being able to just turn off encounters and get to point a to point b without having to faff about trying to dodge bullshit running away from you directly into critical chokepoints or poo poo running at you at mac speed was annoying as hell.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endgame spoiler warning just in case. I know mobile likes to show these videos anyway.

https://youtu.be/3QV1y9Vo-Io

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I feel like there's a line between "this game is too hard" and "this game is too easy" where functionally people playing it are at odds with the concept of being able to break the game over your knee.

Like, in most rpgs it might start off tough but then never gets any tougher once you have more abilities, while SRPGs try to counteract this by making it potentially tough the whole way through, and games like oblivion or w/e tried to make their game tough the whole way through with scaled bosses (which no one has implemented properly yet)

and then there's other people who want to one shot bosses because it's fun. I think these folk would argue the usefulness of magic vs physical should be equal (and once you get godspeed strike, why use magic unless you have to?). Currently, you get the magic classes right from the get-go because, well, they're not useful. They're pretty much useless halfway through chapter 1. Granted I'm only in Chapter 2, but I wish there was a way to boost the usefulness of the class. Or in other words, each of the classes should be just as OP as the other ones, so you can choose how to break the game over your knee instead of just having to pick the FOTW OP class. I would wish we could avoid things like "level this class for this one weird trick to stack with other, better, classes."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

nullEntityRNG posted:

But really BD2 suffers because no one says Mggrrgrr.

There is one line where elvis says something similar, but it also looks suspiciously close to a racial slur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
BD2 was ultimately a disappointment for me but I still really enjoyed it.

Octopath Traveler is probably the most I’ve ever been disappointed by a game