Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Honestly I think it's more likely to be some thrill seeking domestic drone racer type than China or whoever. I was all set to say the exact opposite but after looking into it a bit commercially available (albeit very high end) drones are apparently way more capable than I thought. The only weird thing is where it was, so maybe its the former working for the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Someone in the leadership of the Chinese military assumed that Phoenix was an elaborate setup by the US military to hide a massive base because they didn't think there's any way that a million and a half people would voluntarily live in that climate. Same thing happened back in 1997 with the Russians.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Azathoth posted:

Someone in the leadership of the Chinese military assumed that Phoenix was an elaborate setup by the US military to hide a massive base because they didn't think there's any way that a million and a half people would voluntarily live in that climate. Same thing happened back in 1997 with the Russians.

wait, it isnt? that place is a hellhole.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mola Yam posted:

if you're coming to this thread to tell people that they can't gently caress an alien, that they will never gently caress an alien, just pause and reflect on the importance of kindness and empathy in all of our lives

Hey, maybe you already have and they were just in disguise.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Butternubs posted:

"why is are the mean people using basic fact checking against me whenever I tell them psychic aliens tell me to draw a pentagram out of poo poo"

"Lol you don't believe bigfoot is an interdimensional messenger here to tell us to live laugh love, such a conformist"

i wonder, if you would, lay out an argument eliminating the possibility of ghosts using basic fact checking or dont please

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
im gonna gently caress a space babe

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Hey, maybe you already have and they were just in disguise.

this is what i'm talking about. see how op kindly assumed i've had sex. we should all apsire to this.

i believe you've had sex too, friend.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Protagonist posted:

im gonna gently caress a space babe

Anyone who hasn't already should definitely check out Love and Saucers

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i wonder, if you would, lay out an argument eliminating the possibility of ghosts using basic fact checking or dont please

It’s hard for ghosts to use basic fact-checking because they cause interference whenever they get near electronics.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

blowin the fuckin dust off my big book of facts and turning first to B for bigfoot, then G for ghosts, okay now U for ufos... Nope. Sorry. none of that is real and anyone who believes it is less of a person than me. hey what can i say? take it up with the book.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

i went to www dot politifact dot com and they said ghosts were 'pants on fire', i am a good fact checker

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghosts are just people from the future loving with us from inside a black hole, didn't you see Interstellar?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

the native grandma at the fry bread taco fundraiser...we had a nice chat about the persons in the woods and the sky, and even deceased relatives having effects on our lives after their passing. unfortunately she is a moron whose beliefs are not as legitimate as the current prevailing beliefs

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mola Yam posted:

this is what i'm talking about. see how op kindly assumed i've had sex. we should all apsire to this.

i believe you've had sex too, friend.

Maybe they had sex with you while you had sleep paralysis one time.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

We will all die in space, breathlessly screaming into the blackness while the moisture on our tongues boils away.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Shear Modulus posted:

it says the drone was spotted over a natural gas pipeline terminal and near an air force base

you see bobby, there is nothing 'natural' about natural gas

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

the native grandma at the fry bread taco fundraiser...we had a nice chat about the persons in the woods and the sky, and even deceased relatives having effects on our lives after their passing. unfortunately she is a moron whose beliefs are not as legitimate as the current prevailing beliefs

I now actually believe in aliens.

My fact checking says there's no way this guy could be this butthurt about ghosts using current earth technology. Occams razor dictates it must be the result of an extra terrestrial (possibly demon???) probin'

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'd rather hang out with the ghost believers than the Penn & Tellers of the world.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Butternubs posted:

I now actually believe in aliens.

My fact checking says there's no way this guy could be this butthurt about ghosts using current earth technology. Occams razor dictates it must be the result of an extra terrestrial (possibly demon???) probin'

Ghosts can’t use technology because of the em interference they cause. They can record messages on wax cylinders for old-time record players, but they have to be there while the recorder is running.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Occurred : 11/7/2006 00:19 (Entered as : 11/15/06 00:19)
Reported: 11/15/2006 10:22:03 PM 22:22
Posted: 12/7/2006
Shape: Unknown
Duration:
nothing

You are full of ((deleted))! You are trying to tell us that in a city of 3 million plus that NO ONE caught this thing on a tape? Everyone has cell phones and many have pic or video. Someone certainly would have caught this on tape. YOU ARE FULL OF ((deleted)) UNLESS YOU GET IT ON TAPE!!!!!! Thats why no one believes you idiots when you start hollering about bigfoots and ufo's and all that crap.

((NUFORC Note: Witness elects to remain totally anonymous; provides no contact information. The object was captured with a cell telephone camera. We are attempting to obtain a copy. PD))

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I'd rather hang out with the ghost believers than the Penn & Tellers of the world.

i fuckin love talking to people who are massively superstitious, they always have wild stories of ghosts and aliens and angels but anyone who claims to have magic powers gets tested

oh whats that ur psychic powers couldnt tell that the card i was holding was actually a pikachu i taped to the ace of spades? you rube, you absolute buffoon

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Butternubs posted:

Occams razor dictates it must be the result of an extra terrestrial (possibly demon???) probin'

go back to dnd with your sorry rear end

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Everybody's getting a piece of this action.
Avi Loeb - the Oumuamua could be an alien probe guy, now says about the upcoming report:
"The information presented in the report is likely to indicate "the possible existence of objects which behave in ways that cannot be explained by the technologies we possess.""
https://www.dw.com/en/us-ufo-report-boldly-goes-where-no-one-has-gone-before/a-57749448

Does he have inside info or is he just riding the hype train? You decide.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Frigging plasma laser pointer
https://www.wired.com/2007/05/plasma-laser-uf/
Researchers working with high-power laser weapons discovered that they could create a glowing ball of fire in the sky by crossing the beams of two powerful infrared lasers…By moving the laser beams around the sky, the researchers found they could shift the plasma ball back and forth at very high speed…. At night, they demonstrated their skills, flying their glowing creations in formation high above the cold desert.

This is from a 2007 article pointing back to a report/info from the 1980s. And it fits these reports precisely. If I was a gambling man, I would put everything on this being the occurrences.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

:yeshaha:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Azathoth posted:

the Phoenix metro area has 5 million people now

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Lampsacus posted:

Researchers working with high-power laser weapons discovered that they could create a glowing ball of fire in the sky by crossing the beams of two powerful infrared lasers…By moving the laser beams around the sky, the researchers found they could shift the plasma ball back and forth at very high speed…. At night, they demonstrated their skills, flying their glowing creations in formation high above the cold desert.

This is from a 2007 article pointing back to a report/info from the 1980s. And it fits these reports precisely. If I was a gambling man, I would put everything on this being the occurrences.

Wouldn't the infrared laser beam show up as pillars of light on NVGs, though?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

new official ufo photo just dropped

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

my stepdads beer posted:

new official ufo photo just dropped

I'm the sun who's pissed off his triangular black cat has knocked over all his crucifixes and tennis ball tubes.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

That would make a cool movie actually.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

scary ghost dog posted:

isnt it more likely its some kind of highly evolved creature rather than an advanced vessel. like a giant pill shaped sky bug that can fly using gravitational manipulation due to evolving a black hole for a brain

the tic tacs are actually boltzman brains :eng101:

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

I don't think fire would show up on radar, so they wouldn't have been able to get a missile lock on a ball of fire or see it on radar. Also, the ufos go through clouds and into the water, which would scatter a laser. Unless you're not talking about the tic tacs

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Hatebag posted:

I don't think fire would show up on radar, so they wouldn't have been able to get a missile lock on a ball of fire or see it on radar. Also, the ufos go through clouds and into the water, which would scatter a laser. Unless you're not talking about the tic tacs

Uh, plasma would very much show up on radar.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

mycomancy posted:

Uh, plasma would very much show up on radar.

They use radar to detect smoke particulates for wildfires, not the actual fire. Plasma doesn't show on radar because it's essentially gas that's so hot that molecules can't form. radio waves are absorbed or deflected. In fact there's probably some planes and missiles that sheath themselves in a plasma layer for stealth:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_stealth
Note that the cia tried this on the sr-71 cones :tinfoil:

quote:

During Project OXCART, the operation of the Lockheed A-12 reconnaissance aircraft, the CIA funded an attempt to reduce the RCS of the A-12's inlet cones. Known as Project KEMPSTER, this used an electron beam generator to create a cloud of ionization in front of each inlet. The system was flight tested but was never deployed on operational A-12s or SR-71s

Hatebag has issued a correction as of 14:18 on Jun 3, 2021

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

Someone hit up styropyro to test this out

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

There's also space based plasma detection but that's based on radio signals that are generated along with plasma, ie lightning strikes on other planets produce radio signals and we detect the radio signals, and infer lightning

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Spergin Morlock posted:

the Phoenix metro area has 5 million people now

Clearly a massive conspiracy. No way that many people would voluntarily live in a blast furnace. Must be some nefarious poo poo happening.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Hatebag posted:

There's also space based plasma detection but that's based on radio signals that are generated along with plasma, ie lightning strikes on other planets produce radio signals and we detect the radio signals, and infer lightning

And plasma doesn't explain the many close up sightings of actual craft, not balls of plasma.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

FFT posted:

the tic tacs are actually boltzman brains :eng101:

if I could be a Boltzmann brain I would drop this body in a heartbeat and never return to this planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Azathoth posted:

Clearly a massive conspiracy. No way that many people would voluntarily live in a blast furnace. Must be some nefarious poo poo happening.

Every time I've been in Phoenix I have at least once had to ask myself why people would live here, why they would stop their wagon there instead of way loving before where there was still grass or plowing through to the coast and the beaches and palm trees