Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dog Case posted:

Slavvy hates this! One weird trick to help stay warm

What's the trick??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Presumably the dad screen?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The last time I saw one of those on an enduro it was completely obscured by a large sticker that said OFF ROAD - BUT ON TRACK WITH JESUS

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

"Jesus rides crossed up and pinned" -someone else

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
C'mon, everyone knows Jesus rides a Goldwing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would happily talk to that guy and take a Bible out of politeness

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
That owns

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Strife posted:

C'mon, everyone knows Jesus rides a Goldwing.

It is gods own motorcycle, so it makes sense that an old one is gods sons hand me down bike

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Strife posted:

C'mon, everyone knows Jesus rides a Godwing.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The Michael Landon Midwest Jesus certainly does

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

KTM has you covered with windscreens blocking too much air

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

This has got to be some aero thing where the air coming through the hole creates a some sorta pressure zone that makes the screen effectively taller than it actually is or something….. right?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Russian Bear posted:

This has got to be some aero thing where the air coming through the hole creates a some sorta pressure zone that makes the screen effectively taller than it actually is or something….. right?

yeah, but IIRC it's to help eliminate a low pressure zone that forms behind the screen and causes buffeting

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Russian Bear posted:

I've never actually experienced that working in practice. There are two major companies making aftermarket windscreens for Harley touring bikes that have that little swoop in them that's supposed to direct the air over your helmet. It looks cool, but seems to do gently caress all about actually cutting down buffeting.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Suzuki just puts a hole at the bottom of the screen.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Meanwhile the Russians simply make a bike that is not fast enough for buffeting

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The hole is there to look through when you're doing a wheelie.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coPrNC9LRnE

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
that Harley screen is short enough I could see the lip just making the issue worse by pushing air right up under the edge of your helmet

there are two kinds of issues with airflow wind screens introduce that are annoying as a rider:

1) it directs air at your helmet or just under it, so either your head bounces around or it feels like your helmet is trying to rip itself off - this is what the flip lip thing is supposed to fix
2) big screens can create a variable pressure zone that makes it feel like the air pressure around you is oscillating up and down or like someone is shaking a piece of sheet metal next to your ears - that's what the hole in the screen (or at the bottom of it) is supposed to fix

No screen or at most a small fly screen is the best for warm dry weather. A big fuckoff barn door screen is nice in the cold or if you ride in the wet a lot, but then you can get one or both of the issues above. Those little adjustable spoiler things can help, the screen being height adjustable is nice to have

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jazzzzz posted:

No screen or at most a small fly screen is the best for warm dry weather. A big fuckoff barn door screen is nice in the cold or if you ride in the wet a lot, but then you can get one or both of the issues above. Those little adjustable spoiler things can help, the screen being height adjustable is nice to have

I went through five screens before I finally settled on... the one that came with the bike. I wish mine were height adjustable but that would add a whole new level of dorkiness to this barge.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

No screen ... is the best

:agreed:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Strife posted:

I went through five screens before I finally settled on... the one that came with the bike. I wish mine were height adjustable but that would add a whole new level of dorkiness to this barge.

It's like they knew.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

You know what I wanted today? A big loving dadbike windscreen.

The Yamaha was back together for the first time since I dropped it in October and it was in the low 40s (this whole month has been suspiciously warm) and it needed a half-tank of gas for the rest of the winter so off I went. I haven't gotten to ride at all since the clocks changed and it was worth it.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Wow, a 14-gallon gas tank? How does Yamaha leave room for the engine?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Fuel in tires technology.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Russian Bear posted:

Fuel in tires technology.

Sorry, Buell went out of business

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Weird ad on that high back pillion backrest tho

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

A few things today:

I'm a total wuss when it comes to being cold (or my summer perforated leather gear really flows air well); it was high 50s and sunny an any time over 50mph was not pleasant.

Being able to park up by the entrance rules.

You can fit a 12 oz coffee bag in MT03's compartment that houses the little tool roll.

Bikes are da best even when conditions not ideal and there are a million snow birds all over your favorite roads.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

happyscrappyheropup
Oct 13, 2005

mark it zero
MD has been very warm and dry this winter. Lucky to be able to ride at least a few times a week. Yesterday was a little cool, today and tomorrow are perfect; high 50s/60.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
Put around 100 more miles on the 390 today. Was a great ride though it was a little chilly up in the mountains.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Here's the whole crew currently. I need to get the MT-07 prepped for sale before the weather gets nice because I'll just spend all spare my time riding the FJR.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Analog half-frame pic. Taken with this ergonomically absolutely horrific camera, that takes surprisingly nice pictures - and 72 on one roll of film at that.
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Canon_Dial_35

The shutter button is on the front, the blob on the right is a screw on self timer (it doesn't have a built in one) that just sticks out into the frame.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:

Weather was amazing yesterday so I took another ride up in the mountains. Stopped at Caesars Head state park for a break and snapped this pic. I’m in love with this bike so far. Other then being down on power of course it’s nicer then my ninja was in every way.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Lovely little KTM. Hope it'll treat you well!

Another slide of my bike. This time full frame, on cheap slide film (from when that still existed damnit, 2 rolls for 13 euro...) and shot with an Olympus Mju-2. Taken in 2020 or so.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I have no photography skills and a lovely phone, also a new-to-me motorcycle. Just running some errands today.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

We're between bouts of rain and I didn't get a ride in last weekend, so I took the long way home from work today.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A VanVan with enormous bar mitts and a top case, be still my heart

:swoon: