Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Firefox performance still lags pretty significantly compared to Chrome. Our product technically will render using Firefox, but is not advised based on performance issues. It's more than a 50% performance hit for us. Probably not something you will notice on highly optimized, lightweight day to day stuff like facebook, but you might see it on an older laptop trying to render a particularly complex site.

What product? Can you validate those claims with some links please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

A year ago I repaired my now-roommate and get good friend's laptop. After the power cable stopped holding its position well a few months ago, it's kind of been on its last leg. Today I accidentally killed it in the throes of being salty at video games and accidentally spilled tea all over it when I reflexively kicked the table my tea was on after a sick 360noscope.

I'm splurging on a replacement because I destroyed it and his dream of becoming a cop came true this year, so I got him a GTX 1060 Sager laptop. http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8152-clevo-p650rp6.html

At a hair under $1400 with an IPS screen and Windows 10 Home, it doesn't look too bad, and the pair of USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type C ports helps future proof it a little bit (Oh God why didn't we just stick with 3.0/3.1 nomenclature?).

It looks pretty field serviceable with a replaceable battery, spare M.2 slots, and the drive bays being accessible. It's only 5.5lbs and a little under an inch tall folded up. Should handle 1080p on the native display pretty well for a few years.

Regarding Sager chat from a page or two ago, a lot of it depends on the model and retailer for serviceability. XoticPC have a pretty good warranty policy AFAIK and they're pretty helpful dudes. There are a couple of hardcore Sager focused forums and the like that you can check out some details on bay and motherboard access.

I'll post some thoughts on it when it comes in, but details might be limited since it's my roommate's.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Atomizer posted:

The native resolution isn't a huge issue, setting aside quality concerns amongst multiple display choices. If it's too low then you'll hate it because you can't do anything about it. If it's higher than you could ever take advantage of then you're basically sacrificing performance and battery life, since higher resolution displays take more effort from the GPU to drive. If in this case it's a higher resolution than you'd use for gaming (but would take advantage of elsewhere,) as long as you're not against scaling down then it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh yeah, I'm not against scaling down. I was under the possibly mistaken impression that 3k wouldn't scale down as nicely to 1440 etc. on account of the different ratio, but that might just be nonsense I read somewhere and took on faith.

The Iron Rose posted:

Which is all I care about really, since I destroy laptops. I'm not really sure if the Aorus is worth $700 more than the Asus, but it looks a hell of a lot nicer, has a better screen and keyboard, and if it's even moderately durable then it's worth it in my books.

Yup, makes sense. I'd love to hear your impressions after you get it. I'm hoping it will have better battery life than an equivalent clevis as well, but hard to say just based on product pages!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Atomizer posted:

What product? Can you validate those claims with some links please?

Do you have a preferred benchmark? We're comparing benchmark scores of a mature product vs. wild speculation based on a handful of brand new models that have been on the market less than a week. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to ask for a citation to back up your claims. If you really want me to dig up a recent V8 vs Spidermonkey benchmark article, I can :confused:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Let me know how it goes for you guys going away from Macs - I have tried a few times and it never lasts

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Meh.com has a Toshiba 13.3" Chromebook 2 (Refurbished) for $160 today, for those of you looking for a Chromebook.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Atomizer posted:

Just to go into a little more detail on that Lenovo Flex:
Pros:
Convertible
CPU (sufficiently powerful and efficient)
Touchscreen
SSD
The iGPU is HD 520, which is not Earth-shattering but is a step in the right direction towards having something that can handle games. You could expect to be able to play some older stuff, WoW, mainstream F2P things like LoL and the like. This may be of some assistance.

Meh:
RAM amount is the minimum I'd suggest for a non-budget system, although I have used Win 8/10 on 1 GB machines successfully.
Battery life may be around 6 hours, just barely sufficient.

I checked out some reviews for the Lenovo Flex 3. I guess it's just a case of getting what you pay for--the battery life on it doesn't seem good at all (Amazon spec page has it at 4 hours), some reviews said the keyboard is "squishy" and not very pleasant to type on, etc. Is there a way to find out if this model is one that can have RAM added to it later?

Thanks again for the help.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

foutre posted:

Oh yeah, I'm not against scaling down. I was under the possibly mistaken impression that 3k wouldn't scale down as nicely to 1440 etc. on account of the different ratio, but that might just be nonsense I read somewhere and took on faith.

A non-interpolated (i.e. "quarter") display resolution would be fine, but even having to scale up at that resolution is OK just because of the high resolution & pixel density to begin with. It'd be more of an issue if you were dealing with a much-lower resolution panel. There are still display panel quality considerations (is that 3k display a good one? That's not a super-common HD+ resolution so I would assume there aren't as many manufacturers) but that's sort of outside your control.

Your primary consideration should be if you need, or can take advantage of that 3k display. It'd be a different story if we were talking about HD vs. FHD, particularly on anything but a small display, but here the subject is a very high-res display that's probably on the cusp of not being a playable resolution for a gaming laptop (particularly if we consider maxed out details, maybe VR, at a sufficiently high framerate.)

Hadlock posted:

Do you have a preferred benchmark? We're comparing benchmark scores of a mature product vs. wild speculation based on a handful of brand new models that have been on the market less than a week. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to ask for a citation to back up your claims. If you really want me to dig up a recent V8 vs Spidermonkey benchmark article, I can :confused:

Are you still getting on about my response to that guy regarding Pascal laptops? If you actually care enough to discuss it why didn't you respond to me in the first place? What exactly was your problem, what was so controversial with what I wrote? (Notice that you're the only one who complained here.)

Bob Morales posted:

Let me know how it goes for you guys going away from Macs - I have tried a few times and it never lasts

Funny, every time I have to use MacOS I run away as fast as I can. :shrug:

Medullah posted:

Meh.com has a Toshiba 13.3" Chromebook 2 (Refurbished) for $160 today, for those of you looking for a Chromebook.

:siren:Avoid this like the plague!:siren:

This is the 2014 model of the CB 2. The display is nice, it has 4 GB of RAM, and I guess the audio & keyboard are ok, but it comes with an Atom-based N2840 "Celeron" dual-core which is a complete dog. It's got incredibly disappointing performance, even compared to the Rockchip (ARM) Chromebooks (e.g. Asus Flip) and especially the later Atom Celerons; the N29xx and N3xxx series are significant improvements.

I have one of these Chromebooks, and it's the one I throw in my backpack just so I have something around should I ever have to use a CB outside of home. I would give 0 fucks if I dropped it and it broke because of its frustratingly lethargic performance.

Seriously, unless you like waiting for stuff to happen while your weak dual-core CPU is pegged (install the COG extension to view system info) avoid this. The 2015 model is a huge improvement. I would be reluctant to recommend this one for an older relative or other less-demanding user. You don't have to get a super high-end CB (e.g. Pixel) but there's a comfortable middle ground between that and this Toshiba. Around $100 more will get you a much better Acer CB 14, Acer R11, Asus Flip, the 2015 Toshiba CB 2, the Acer CB 15, etc.

Aranan posted:

I checked out some reviews for the Lenovo Flex 3. I guess it's just a case of getting what you pay for--the battery life on it doesn't seem good at all (Amazon spec page has it at 4 hours), some reviews said the keyboard is "squishy" and not very pleasant to type on, etc. Is there a way to find out if this model is one that can have RAM added to it later?

Thanks again for the help.

It's by no means perfect, but it's just an example of something not bottom-barrel, available right now, for someone on a budget. There are definitely compromises, and there will be different models, perhaps better deals, arriving continuously (which I'll share here.) If I needed a reasonably-priced convertible I might consider this one, but I definitely wouldn't blame you for wanting to spend a little more for something of better quality (e.g. display, battery life, RAM, SSD, etc.)

I think this is a similar model which indicates that it has user-upgradeable RAM, but only one slot (so figure 8 or 16 GB max.)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Atomizer posted:

Funny, every time I have to use MacOS I run away as fast as I can. :shrug:

I've tried with the X230, T420, and T440

It comes back to 'this thing is a brick, the screen isn't very good, the battery life isn't great, the trackpad stinks, sleep/resume isn't as smooth...'

Which sucks because a used ThinkPad is half the price of the equivalent used MacBook Air/Pro.

I can use Windows or Ubuntu or Mac - I use pretty much cross-platform stuff, PuTTy/ssh, filezilla, chrome/ff, sublime, vim, Dropbox...

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Atomizer posted:

It's by no means perfect, but it's just an example of something not bottom-barrel, available right now, for someone on a budget. There are definitely compromises, and there will be different models, perhaps better deals, arriving continuously (which I'll share here.) If I needed a reasonably-priced convertible I might consider this one, but I definitely wouldn't blame you for wanting to spend a little more for something of better quality (e.g. display, battery life, RAM, SSD, etc.)

I think this is a similar model which indicates that it has user-upgradeable RAM, but only one slot (so figure 8 or 16 GB max.)

Fair enough, that makes a lot of sense. There will always be compromises unless you get into the over-$2000-range and even then there are some, including pricing. I'll probably just pull the trigger on this one since her first day of class was today and getting something that will last a year or two is the important part here.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Going off the op, I was considering picking up a Lenovo Y50. My current laptop is on its last legs and I use it a lot for work as I travel. Is the Y50 still a sound recommendation?

I'm not sure how much time I will have to actually play games on it moving forward, but I would like to at least have the option.

eames
May 9, 2009

eames posted:

I'm looking forward to try that humongous ugly desktop replacement, the GPU is all I care about.

Just to follow up on this, they did indeed send me a completely maxed out G752VS instead of the basic model. Complete with a bag, mouse and headset.
I called Amazon and pointed out that they sent me a machine with a wrong keyboard layout that should cost >1000€ more than I paid for.
The customer rep promptly apologized and offered me additional 10% off the price I paid in form amazon store credit, should I decide to keep the machine. :confuoot:

Anyway, I'm sending it back tomorrow for multiple reasons.
The screen is much worse than I expected and pretty much instantly gave me a headache after using a 15" rMBP for 3 years, sound quality is so bad that I kept looking for some protective foil to pull off the speakers, the keyboard is mushy and glows red in a font that was ripped off a 1997 geocities webpage, trackpad is unusable, chassis design is even more in-your-face than I had anticipated.

Most importantly the GTX1070 has way more performance than I need for a 1080p/75hz panel. WoW with all settings completely maxed and 4x SSAA+CMAA (effectively rendering at double the resolution) ran at over 100 fps and still felt CPU bound. I'm sure it would look different in a game like the new Deus Ex but still. I consider the laptop graphics performance "problem" solved for now. :v:

Encounters like this make me appreciate what a good and well rounded device the rMBP really is. A 17" rMBP with a GTX1060 would have been so utterly perfect for all my purposes.

PS: Returning a massively discounted gaming notebook for performing too well — pretty sure I'm getting old and sensible. :(

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Somberbrero posted:

Going off the op, I was considering picking up a Lenovo Y50. My current laptop is on its last legs and I use it a lot for work as I travel. Is the Y50 still a sound recommendation?

I'm not sure how much time I will have to actually play games on it moving forward, but I would like to at least have the option.

Check the last page. It most certainly is not a sound recommendation, especially seeing as pascal laptops are now available. Getting a laptop with a 1060 will be easily 2-3x times as powerful, a laptop with a 1070 (the cheapest of which goes for around $1700), will be roughly 4-6x as powerful.

Even disregarding the atrocious build quality, you absolutely 100% do not want to buy a laptop with a last Gen (9xxM Series) dGPU.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Chas McGill posted:

I'm still using an X220 and it handles all my laptop use cases. The screen and the touchpad probably won't be as good as your Air but it should be a solid, dependable machine.

An influence in all this has been how awesome trackpoint apparently is. I'm willing to give it a go. If it turns out the large trackpad idea is better there are plenty of those!
From what I've heard the screen will be shite, but it's £65-80ish to replace it with the IPS version.
I do find screen quality fairly important, but as long as it doesn't suck as badly as the Acer Chromebook I have (and will probably sell on)

Atomizer posted:

Rossmann is great; he produces really thorough repair videos, and he works on Macs (because it's profitable!) while simultaneously hating them. :)

He was/is also kinda under an ominous legal threat from Apple (ostensibly due to showing technical schematics) because his work eats into the profit of Apple Service Centers (which just replace components instead of repairing them.)

I love it, and everything he produces. The "I hate it but I'll fix it" thing he has going is very entertaining, and I love how he's a great person (don't try calling him one, most do so because he's done them a favour) but also doesn't believe in mincing his words.
He's done an "I"m not being sued, okay?" type video but there is some legal poo poo or other for sure.

Hadlock posted:

I would have chosen the X230 for 20-30% improved battery life and 50% better GPU performance, but otherwise it's a good choice. The only reason I can think of to buy the X220 is as a diehard old-style thinkpad keyboard or perhaps saving an extra $60 over the X230.

When I looked the 230 was at least £100 more, but funnily enough I've seen some cheaper than the X220 looking just now.

I don't mind though as I wanted the old keyboard layout. The aforementioned Rossmann made a pretty good point about the ergonomics of the hold delete/home/end area layout and the way those older keyboards were anti microbe so didn't get shiny after a few months.
Guess right now I'm in a phase where I'm thinking "well if I'm going to jump ship from Mac to PC, I might as well have fun going retro" ;)

Speaking of which it'll be nice having home and end keys again. Ones that work without editing various files to switch from "home of document" to "beginning of line" mode and holding an Fn key.

Mu Zeta posted:

Maybe it's different on Windows but Chrome on Mac drains battery life like crazy. You get literally hours longer runtime with Safari.

This was kind of the spark that kicked me in the direction of switching back to Windows. And I know it's not Apple's fault, it's Google's, or rather, the fact that they're competitors and probably sabotage each other's performance. But as much as I love Safari, I love having a good browser sync with my other devices more. xmarks helps a little, but it's clunky. I just love Chrome, it's important enough to me that it being dogshit on MacBooks lures me away from MacBooks.
(Firefox wasn't any better in my tests and still somehow felt kinda retro. Mind, that's the way I'm going right now *shrug*)

Bob Morales posted:

There's a truth to what you say! Will have to try and remember to pop back in every now and again with an update.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I've tried with the X230, T420, and T440

It comes back to 'this thing is a brick, the screen isn't very good, the battery life isn't great, the trackpad stinks, sleep/resume isn't as smooth...'

Which sucks because a used ThinkPad is half the price of the equivalent used MacBook Air/Pro.

I can use Windows or Ubuntu or Mac - I use pretty much cross-platform stuff, PuTTy/ssh, filezilla, chrome/ff, sublime, vim, Dropbox...

Well, my hate affair with Apple goes back to the pre-OS X days. It's a long story, but I've always hated the issues with compatibility, the Apple Tax, the functionality (both in terms of things not working quite the same way as you'd expect them to in Windows or even various Linux setups, and in the restrictions on what they allow you to do with your expensive hardware), and even the designs (think the hockey puck mouse, white everything, etc.) Everything about Apple has a loving gimmick. And don't get me started on iTunes and how it erases the poo poo on your devices (I have to troubleshoot other people's iPhone poo poo and iTunes is horrendously bad at backing up/synchronizing mobile devices.)

I thought you had an issue with Windows itself though, and it sounds like you just hate the mainstream hardware.

eames posted:

Just to follow up on this, they did indeed send me a completely maxed out G752VS instead of the basic model. Complete with a bag, mouse and headset.
I called Amazon and pointed out that they sent me a machine with a wrong keyboard layout that should cost >1000€ more than I paid for.
The customer rep promptly apologized and offered me additional 10% off the price I paid in form amazon store credit, should I decide to keep the machine. :confuoot:

Anyway, I'm sending it back tomorrow for multiple reasons.
The screen is much worse than I expected and pretty much instantly gave me a headache after using a 15" rMBP for 3 years, sound quality is so bad that I kept looking for some protective foil to pull off the speakers, the keyboard is mushy and glows red in a font that was ripped off a 1997 geocities webpage, trackpad is unusable, chassis design is even more in-your-face than I had anticipated.

Most importantly the GTX1070 has way more performance than I need for a 1080p/75hz panel. WoW with all settings completely maxed and 4x SSAA+CMAA (effectively rendering at double the resolution) ran at over 100 fps and still felt CPU bound. I'm sure it would look different in a game like the new Deus Ex but still. I consider the laptop graphics performance "problem" solved for now. :v:

Encounters like this make me appreciate what a good and well rounded device the rMBP really is. A 17" rMBP with a GTX1060 would have been so utterly perfect for all my purposes.

PS: Returning a massively discounted gaming notebook for performing too well — pretty sure I'm getting old and sensible. :(

Wait, wouldn't it be more profitable to resell the thing? You already informed Amazon that they sent you way more than you paid for and they're apparently OK with that (because they clearly didn't understand what happened) so it's not like you're being dishonest.

GargleBlaster posted:

An influence in all this has been how awesome trackpoint apparently is. I'm willing to give it a go. If it turns out the large trackpad idea is better there are plenty of those!

Have you seriously never used TrackPoint (or a generic pointing stick)? You know you can buy separate USB keyboards with a TrackPoint built-in so you can add it to literally every PC!

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Trackpoint isn't awesome. First of all we're talking about computer usage here, second of all, it's better than some awful trackpads but not better than every trackpad.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Somberbrero posted:

Contrary opinion to the guy saying no - he's recommending a $1600 new laptop instead. If what you're looking for is something that plays stuff from indie bundles or a few years ago perfectly well at 1080p and medium quality (eg. Batman Arkham games, GTA4, Oblivion, most MMORPGs, Crysis 2) and you're not inclined to shake your laptop around or sit animals on it, the Y50 is a perfectly reasonable choice if you can find an inexpensive one.

It might be a bit of a risk build-quality wise, but the $1600 laptops with new GPUs probably are as well - if you want a more solid build you have to go up a tier in what you're paying.

So yeah, if you have an unlimited budget, get a $2000 new machine with a 10x0 GPU, and you'll be able to play new games for a few more years. If you're frugal and don't really give a poo poo about the newest AAA games, you can get a Y50 with an SSD for like $550.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

roomforthetuna posted:

Contrary opinion to the guy saying no - he's recommending a $1600 new laptop instead. If what you're looking for is something that plays stuff from indie bundles or a few years ago perfectly well at 1080p and medium quality (eg. Batman Arkham games, GTA4, Oblivion, most MMORPGs, Crysis 2) and you're not inclined to shake your laptop around or sit animals on it, the Y50 is a perfectly reasonable choice if you can find an inexpensive one.

It might be a bit of a risk build-quality wise, but the $1600 laptops with new GPUs probably are as well - if you want a more solid build you have to go up a tier in what you're paying.

So yeah, if you have an unlimited budget, get a $2000 new machine with a 10x0 GPU, and you'll be able to play new games for a few more years. If you're frugal and don't really give a poo poo about the newest AAA games, you can get a Y50 with an SSD for like $550.

My no effort googling found a Y50 sans SSD for like $1000. It has a blazing fast 1TB 5400RPM drive and an 860M NVidia card. Err....

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Some pc company please just directly copy Apple's trackpad and all the gestures.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

roomforthetuna posted:

I was trying to budget around $1000. Honestly I was hoping for less than that. I tend to play most titles on console as that's where my friends are at, so I probably should not spend that much money. In fact since there doesn't seem to be much point gaming at my price range, maybe I should just go with a solid workbook and forget the gaming aspect altogether.

Thank you all for being so helpful, I appreciate it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Some pc company please just directly copy Apple's trackpad and all the gestures.

It is going in that direction pretty well with Microsoft having taken over the software and gesture part of a lot of trackpads, if it is important to you make sure your laptop has a "Windows Precision Touchpad". Annoyingly not something that is usually documented very well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Only been since 2008!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Funnily enough, a lot of windows laptop trackpads are really good, even going back as far as 10 years (though often small, obviously), but the default settings and sensitivity ranges are often such poo poo that they feel like such slogs no matter what sliders you move.

A few can be fixed through borking registry keys, and ironically, most all work great under lunix. I have a now 8 year old vaio Z that has all your multitouch features and gestures supported and has a great trackpad... It just never worked worth a drat under windows.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Somberbrero posted:

I was trying to budget around $1000. Honestly I was hoping for less than that. I tend to play most titles on console as that's where my friends are at, so I probably should not spend that much money. In fact since there doesn't seem to be much point gaming at my price range, maybe I should just go with a solid workbook and forget the gaming aspect altogether.

Most indies will run just fine on Intel integrated graphics. Intel integrated graphics have been PS3/360 qualities since the 3rd gen (e.g. anything Core iX-3XXX). We're on the 6th gen of intel Core chips. Anyone know how much better current HD520/30 is than HD4000?. I would suggest investing in a laptop that's durable and let's you upgrade your RAM to 16GB and your SSD to 256GB. I also am probably wrong on RAM and 8 will "get you by", but like if you're going budget you'll probably have to buy 8GB, and I like having 30 tabs open while I use Unity, Blender, and Paint.net.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

You're not going to get a decent gaming system for far under $1k. You're correct in that the best option is to get a work laptop (Thinkpad) which will be much cheaper AND more durable than the Y50.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
New GPUs are arriving in :pcgaming: laptops now so the used market for 970M equipped machines is going to start sliding, if not drop like a rock entirely.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

White Rock posted:

Hey, Been meaning to find something to replace my ageing 17 inch gaming laptop, looking for something I can actually carry around and use in public (so 13-15 inches) with enough power to do light video editing and handle creating 2d games in unity. Budget is up to 600£, living in :sweden: , new or refurbished doesn't matter.

The x220-x260 series looks promising, but I'm having trouble finding good deals. (or being sure that they are good)

Found this on Amazon uk. Looks good? CPU wise similar to what I have now, but sans desktop GPU. I'm having a hard time to find out how much a desktop graphics card matters for things like Unity, so... Should I hold out for a good deal on a x250? Other options?

Qouting myself:

Been doing more research and finding better deals. Ebay seems to be the way to go for the cheapest stuff. Finding it hard to pull the trigger on a used, i really hate picking the wrong choice when buying.

Currently considering a cheap x220 for about 160£ with shipping

Or a x240 for around 425£ for IPS display, better performance and around half a years warranty

Can i get a quick thumbs up for either of these?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Somberbrero posted:

In that case pascal cards are likely out of your budget. I believe the cheapest with the 1060 are somewhere around $1300-$1500.

also i'm a goonette :p

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

White Rock posted:

Qouting myself:

Been doing more research and finding better deals. Ebay seems to be the way to go for the cheapest stuff. Finding it hard to pull the trigger on a used, i really hate picking the wrong choice when buying.

Or a x240 for around 425£ for IPS display, better performance and around half a years warranty

The X240 has integrated trackpad buttons, you can swap out the trackpad for the vastly better X250 trackpad for about £45 if you're comfortable with that sort of thing

Otherwise the X220 is a great deal, assuming it has the IPS panel as well

Never buy the X series without the IPS display

eames
May 9, 2009

White Rock posted:

Qouting myself:

Read this, it really hit home for me.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/23/12602776/first-click-the-importance-of-knowing-when-to-stop-searching

:shobon:

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Posting to sing the praises of the Thinkpad T430 recommended in OP. Scoured the many listings on Ebay and ordered my wife a used one for $200 but it looks great, like 9/10 condition. Liked it so much I ordered another one in similar condition for myself, same price. They can be had even lower in the $150 ballpark if you don't care as much about spotless condition as I do. Build quality is impressive, surprisingly lightweight, and probably among the best you gonna find at the price point. Just keep an eye on the resolution - there's a 1366x768 model and a 1600x900 one and people seem to forget about listing that particular spec quite often.

The matte display isn't the most beautiful thing, but it's fine for my purposes. I was pleasantly surprised by the trackpad though, it feels really good and I say that as someone who hates touch interfaces outside of phones.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 23, 2016

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Tap tap tapping on my X220 which arrived today. Love it! It's so nice knowing I can repair it myself (granted, my MacBook never actually went wrong), replace the battery at any time (MacBook is down to ~2 hours), upgrade the RAM at any time (MacBook stuck on 4GB) etc etc. Feels quite retro but in a good way, I think I'm coming around to the PC philosophy again. Slapped an SSD in it and tried Windows 10, turns out it activated itself off my Windows account (thanks MS!)

Trackpoint is taking a bit of getting used to (with the trackpad being... not bad, but not good compared to the Air's!). LOVING having a fingerprint reader, it's made Lastpass and screen lock so much more convenient, though it's a bit annoying Windows insists you enable a weak 4 digit PIN, even if it does lock it after a few fails. Keyboard is nice, thought I'd grumble after chiclet style but feels fine. Comments about chiclet ones going shiny and these ones not were clearly BS - the letter T in particular being a shiniest! But the nice thing is you can change it. I'll miss that on newer models.

Ordered an IPS LCD off Amazon for £65 because I'm fussy but to be honest the TN panel it came with isn't as bad as people make out. It's not as bad as the Acer Chromebook one (think I'll sell that thing, the main reason I wanted it was battery life). It just doesn't do black at all.

So far so good all in all! I just feel like I own something that doesn't compromise so much as the MacBook Air.
Fair bit thicker than the MacBook Air obviously but feels about the same in weight (not looked up the actual weight in the specs) and so far aside from not fitting in the Air's case, I've not noticed the thickness. So much for Apple's obsession with thinner and thinner, then!

Atomizer posted:

Have you seriously never used TrackPoint (or a generic pointing stick)? You know you can buy separate USB keyboards with a TrackPoint built-in so you can add it to literally every PC!

Not for a long time. I had an old Thinkpad in like 1996, but other than that, if I saw it when supporting someone else's laptop I ignored it and used the touchpad (which on most PC laptops is poo poo, it has to be said)

I would probably say our mate Louis overrated it somewhat, still giving it some time though.

Mu Zeta posted:

From what I heard Dell are trying their best to copy them (like with every other aspect of their laptops ;))

White Rock posted:

Qouting myself:

See my comments above!
I got my X220 from the eBay account owned by RecycleIT. Came in good condition, albeit in a box big enough to ship a supercomputer.
If you get IPS you're quite lucky, IMO. I couldn't find it specified in search without like an extra £100+ on the asking price, and of course being an optional extra and British people's favourite question being "what's your cheapest..." I don't think many got it.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 23, 2016

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I'm getting about 2-2.5 hours of battery life out of my T420 right now using Windows 10. Will a new battery (9 cell) via eBay net me closer to 3 or 4 hours? Plenty of aftermarket options for not a ton of money. I don't mind having it plugged in, but if $20-$30 can get me a lot more life I'll do it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The original 6 cell battery on my X230 was down to about 2.5 hours, a new 6 cell (from Lenovo, you never know what cells or how old they are from a third party) got me up to about 4.25 hours. Amazon sells official Lenovo batteries for reasonable prices, I think I paid $45 for mine, and it's actually rated higher watt hours than my original battery (by about 5%)

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Hahhahaha too right. I always end up either going for the cheapo poo poo so i can't be disappointed or overspending immensely to get the perfect deal. Anything in between quickly becomes trade off central and ends up taking waaay to much of my time.

But i bit the bullet, ended up getting a used x230 with IPS, 8gb ram, 320hdd and windows 10 for 280£ shipped. I was still looking around for something with an SSD and/or 1 year seller warranty, but at that point windows 7 starting popping up and no one would say if they had IPS so...

Trade-offs!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Sager is, if I am not mistaken, entirely a reseller of white-label generic OEM designed machines, and as such I don't think there is much one can tell about any given Sager machine based on the Sager badge.

Not quite. They are the US reseller of Clevo, which is an ODM based in Taiwan. To my knowledge they do not resell any other ODM's laptops. I've had 3 in the past 11 years and have loved each one. I travel for work so they take a fair amount of abuse and are nice for performance without looking like a portable rave.

My current one is beginning to overheat after 4 years (thanks Intel for using cheap thermal paste). I'm looking to get something a little less bulky, possibly a Razer Blade 14" when they come out with a 1060. Does anyone have experience with Razer laptops in terms of how they hold up after 3-4 years?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
The general impression I've gotten on the Razer Blades is that they're like any other Razer product: fast and flashy, but long term build quality isn't terribly great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Their first gaming laptop only came out in 2012. I haven't seen any long term reports yet.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3vszk2/do_not_buy_a_razer_blade_my_horror_story_xpost/

To be fair if the screen breaks over your thumb, the problem is probably your incredibly poor hand-eye coordination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vital Signs posted:

I'm getting about 2-2.5 hours of battery life out of my T420 right now using Windows 10. Will a new battery (9 cell) via eBay net me closer to 3 or 4 hours? Plenty of aftermarket options for not a ton of money. I don't mind having it plugged in, but if $20-$30 can get me a lot more life I'll do it.

At least, depending on workload. A new (Lenovo) 9-cell gave up to 7-8 hours on a T520 with light load (office/programming stuff) if you lowered the brightness a bit. Although with Ebay batteries you never know, I'd expect 80% of the real capacity based on my experience with "Canon" batteries.